+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1

    Hello from sunny DC

    Hello all!

    Been a serious fan since the days when Guidry was mowin' 'em down, Foster was launchin' 'em out and a legitimate question was, "can Carew hit .400?"

    Bio-born in Baltimore, Cornell undergrad, Rutgers-Newark law, lived in Hoboken, NJ for several years--spent many an interesting night in Yankee Stadium in the late 90s (dudes would seize my O's hat from my head on the 4 train and toss it back and forth across the car-somebody usually gave it back), now in Washington, DC, where Peter Angelos is the one guy disliked more than the President.

    Ironically, as I had neither pro hoops nor pro hockey allegiance growing up, and as the Colts had been unceremoniously sent away on a Mayflower van one sad, fateful night, my teams were, for quite some time: Orioles, Terps hoops, Knicks, Rangers, 49ers. Strange but true. (When the Colts left for Indy, I had considered myself a free agent and thought Montana and Rice were cool.)

    By way of full disclosure, found this site searching around one night a few weeks ago looking to see if the 2005 Orioles had garnered any out-of-town respect. (They certainly play better out of town!) Have really enjoyed the commentary.

    Here's to becoming a solid and, hopefully a few will find, astute contributor. And here's to a great three-team AL East race in 2005. Hope the teams are healthy down the stretch.

    Prediction (order actually hasn't changed since Spring Training; however, in Spring Training I had thought the Yankees would challenge or exceed the '98 team in wins, primarily because I thought RJ would go something like 27-4):

    Yankees: 102-60 (win WS over StL)
    Orioles: 92-70 (narrowly miss WC)
    Red Sox: 89-73

    --Rob

  2. #2
    Forum Regular
    Sligo Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland

    Re: Hello from sunny DC

    Welcome to the forum Rob.
    [COLOR=Green]"We refuse to lie here in dishonor! We are not criminals, but Irishmen! This is the crime of which we stand accused."
    - Bobby Sands[/COLOR]

  3. #3
    NYYF Legend

    Casey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Forest Lawn Memorial Park - Plot: Court of Freedom Block 7060 Lot 6-A

    Re: Hello from sunny DC

    Quote Originally Posted by Murray33
    Yankees: 102-60 (win WS over StL)
    Orioles: 92-70 (narrowly miss WC)
    Red Sox: 89-73
    I'll buy that.

    Welcome and have fun posting, Rob.
    3 4 5 7 8 10 16 37

  4. #4
    NYYF Legend

    smr15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    West Milford, NJ

    Re: Hello from sunny DC

    Welcome, Rob.

    I hate Angelos, but kinda have a soft spot for Lee Mazzilli, so wouldn't mind at all if the O's took second behind the Yanks.

    .Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

  5. #5
    Glory Days bleachersown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Manhattan via North Jersey

    Re: Hello from sunny DC

    welcome
    "I'd like to thank the Good Lord for making me a Yankee."

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NSW, Australia

    Re: Hello from sunny DC

    Welcome
    [B][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]Down Under[/FONT] [/COLOR][/B]

  7. #7
    Released Outright
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    The OC, baby

    Re: Hello from sunny DC

    Welcome.

  8. #8
    NYYF Legend

    Dave Visbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

    Re: Hello from sunny DC

    Quote Originally Posted by Murray33
    Hello all!

    Been a serious fan since the days when Guidry was mowin' 'em down, Foster was launchin' 'em out and a legitimate question was, "can Carew hit .400?"

    Bio-born in Baltimore, Cornell undergrad, Rutgers-Newark law, lived in Hoboken, NJ for several years--spent many an interesting night in Yankee Stadium in the late 90s (dudes would seize my O's hat from my head on the 4 train and toss it back and forth across the car-somebody usually gave it back), now in Washington, DC, where Peter Angelos is the one guy disliked more than the President.

    Ironically, as I had neither pro hoops nor pro hockey allegiance growing up, and as the Colts had been unceremoniously sent away on a Mayflower van one sad, fateful night, my teams were, for quite some time: Orioles, Terps hoops, Knicks, Rangers, 49ers. Strange but true. (When the Colts left for Indy, I had considered myself a free agent and thought Montana and Rice were cool.)

    By way of full disclosure, found this site searching around one night a few weeks ago looking to see if the 2005 Orioles had garnered any out-of-town respect. (They certainly play better out of town!) Have really enjoyed the commentary.

    Here's to becoming a solid and, hopefully a few will find, astute contributor. And here's to a great three-team AL East race in 2005. Hope the teams are healthy down the stretch.

    Prediction (order actually hasn't changed since Spring Training; however, in Spring Training I had thought the Yankees would challenge or exceed the '98 team in wins, primarily because I thought RJ would go something like 27-4):

    Yankees: 102-60 (win WS over StL)
    Orioles: 92-70 (narrowly miss WC)
    Red Sox: 89-73

    --Rob
    Welcome Rob to the NYYFans Forum. Hey... what about this guy around the same time as the Rookie of the Year when you got interested and became a serious fan? http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/cards/jun1-618831612.html



















    Just kidding... Murray33
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

    Daddy Loves His Baby Angels

  9. #9
    NYYF Legend

    nhyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New Hampshire

    Re: Hello from sunny DC

    Welcome and have fun posting!

  10. #10

    Re: Hello from sunny DC

    Welcome to the forum. I live just outside DC in Bethesda, but I'm moving to NY in a couple of weeks.

    I am a former Orioles ST holder.... 4 years, and I went to college at UMBC in Catonsville.

  11. #11

    Re: Hello from sunny DC

    Welcome!

  12. #12
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    West Nyack New York

    Re: Hello from sunny DC

    Welcome!

  13. #13

    Re: Hello from sunny DC

    Welcome


    "A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

  14. #14

    Re: Hello from sunny DC

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Visbeck
    Welcome Rob to the NYYFans Forum. Hey... what about this guy around the same time as the Rookie of the Year when you got interested and became a serious fan? http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/cards/jun1-618831612.html



















    Just kidding... Murray33
    Thanks for the pic. Yeah, he wasn't bad. Best bases-loaded hitter I've ever seen. 2nd all-time career grand slams to Gehrig.

  15. #15

    Re: Hello from sunny DC

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeClemens22
    Welcome to the forum. I live just outside DC in Bethesda, but I'm moving to NY in a couple of weeks.

    I am a former Orioles ST holder.... 4 years, and I went to college at UMBC in Catonsville.
    Howdy! I get to Bethesda all the time as my girlfriend lives in Rockville. That new restaurant Rock Creek is pretty solid in my book. Also still enjoy Centro, Persimmon, Rio Grande.

    Actually, I'd like to move back to NY at some point. I just miss the energy I guess. Tough job market with the law firms there.

    Good luck with your move to the city! Funny thing is, a lot of folks can't wait to get OUT of the city when summer rolls around. At least there are a lot of options....

  16. #16

    Re: Hello from sunny DC

    Quote Originally Posted by Murray33
    Howdy! I get to Bethesda all the time as my girlfriend lives in Rockville. That new restaurant Rock Creek is pretty solid in my book. Also still enjoy Centro, Persimmon, Rio Grande.

    Actually, I'd like to move back to NY at some point. I just miss the energy I guess. Tough job market with the law firms there.

    Good luck with your move to the city! Funny thing is, a lot of folks can't wait to get OUT of the city when summer rolls around. At least there are a lot of options....
    Rock Bottom do you mean? I love that place.

    Thanks for the well wishes, and I'll be talking to you on the forums!

  17. #17
    one of the few nyy fans in az yankeesfaninaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ (originally from Queens, NY)

    Re: Hello from sunny DC

    welcome aboard
    My name is Tracy and I am a female

  18. #18
    G.O.A.T. sorigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Long Island

    Re: Hello from sunny DC

    Welcome to the forum!

  19. #19
    Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    northern California

    Re: Hello from sunny DC

    Quote Originally Posted by Casey37
    I'll buy that.

    Welcome and have fun posting, Rob.
    Me, too.

    Welcome
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

  20. #20

    Re: Hello from sunny DC

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeClemens22
    Rock Bottom do you mean? I love that place.
    Nope, Rock Creek--right across from Cafe Deluxe on the other end of Bethesda. Worth a try!

  21. #21

    Re: Hello from sunny DC

    Quote Originally Posted by Murray33
    Nope, Rock Creek--right across from Cafe Deluxe on the other end of Bethesda. Worth a try!
    Interesting... theres so many restaurants in Bethesda, I must have missed this one. If I have time I'll try to go before I move next week.

  22. #22
    Jenn Jenn6812's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Back where we belong

    Re: Hello from sunny DC

    Welcome to the forum.
    Love my Red Sox Fan


  23. #23
    God Bless the Scooter NYYFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Re: Hello from sunny DC

    Welcome!

    'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

  24. #24
    Guinness for Strength! Boogiedown Bomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Raleigh, NC

    Re: Hello from sunny DC

    Welcome!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts