+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: G.p.s.

G.p.s.

Any recommendations on an aftermarket GPS, preferably, one with voice instructions?

Also I'd like to hear some pros and cons on the system you might have, how accurate it is, user friendliness, cost, etc..

If you don't have one, we can still use this thread to hear your thoughts about them in general.

NYYF MVP

Re: G.p.s.

Popular subject.

NYYF Legend

We had one on our Jaguar. It was really great. I don't know about any good standalone ones though.
    Crush it with your mind vice.

So I've narrowed my choices down to the Magellan RoadMate 760 (new and more feature-rich than the 700) and the Garmin 2620. Anybody have experience with either? Don't all chime in together now.

Addicted Member

don't know much about the one's you're talking about, but as far as handhelds go I'm fairly familiar with both brands and I personally prefer Garmin. I own a Legend and love it. Easy to use and rugged as well as updateable online. For what it's worth.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by Dooley Womack
    So I've narrowed my choices down to the Magellan RoadMate 760 (new and more feature-rich than the 700) and the Garmin 2620. Anybody have experience with either? Don't all chime in together now.
    Just try asking about Blackberries. If it weren't for Rsoxhater I would have been totally f*cked.

Maybe you should rename the thread: "G.p.s. and Tom Cruise".

handheld?

Forum Regular

I find the GPS more of a hassle - just one more thing I have to rig up in my car. My laptop with MS Streets & Trips does the job. Sometimes I'll use the GPS if I need to impress people.

Quote Originally Posted by cubswin
    handheld?
    Here's the Magellan 760. It's new and retails for about $1,100 but not available (or limited supply) to the stores yet.

http://www.magellangps.com/en/produc...sp?PRODID=1091

Quote Originally Posted by anyoneseenthebridge
    I find the GPS more of a hassle - just one more thing I have to rig up in my car. My laptop with MS Streets & Trips does the job. Sometimes I'll use the GPS if I need to impress people.
    I'm not crazy about MS Streets and MapQuest is totally f'd up. If an exit curves even slightly, they consider that a turn. You wind up going in circles sometimes. Plus, who the heck needs to be a human compass with directions like "start out by going SW."

Mine wouldn't be used to impress at all. I travel enough to new locations and I prefer to be confident that I get to these places in timely fashion without going off coarse.

Quote Originally Posted by BronxByTheBay
    Just try asking about Blackberries. If it weren't for Rsoxhater I would have been totally f*cked.

Maybe you should rename the thread: "G.p.s. and Tom Cruise".
    Yeah I caught that thread.

I was thinking about renaming this thread to, "What would Tom Cruise suggest that I do if I'm too depressed to key in addresses on my GPS."

Forum Regular

I'm not crazy about MS Streets and MapQuest is totally f'd up. If an exit curves even slightly, they consider that a turn. You wind up going in circles sometimes. Plus, who the heck needs to be a human compass with directions like "start out by going SW."

Mine wouldn't be used to impress at all. I travel enough to new locations and I prefer to be confident that I get to these places in timely fashion without going off coarse.
    I never even look at the written directions. I plot the route and zoom in and out accordingly. I usually just print out maps and note the exits unless there's a possibility of getting of course, like in a large downtown. Then I have S&T running just in case.

NYYF Legend

The Garmin 'handheld' was a 'lifesaver' last summer fishing off the Florida Keys.
    To make a long story short...It helped get us back to the marina with no damage to 'vessel' or 'fisherman/fisherwoman' on board..

Quote Originally Posted by Gringaloca
    The Garmin 'handheld' was a 'lifesaver' last summer fishing off the Florida Keys.
    To make a long story short...It helped get us back to the marina with no damage to 'vessel' or 'fisherman/fisherwoman' on board..
    I've heard of stories like this and it proves that it's more than just a toy, though I like that aspect (toy) as well. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm kind of slightly leaning toward Magellan's 760's features over the Garmin (for now) though I'm hearing that both are top-notch.

Released Outright

I've heard of stories like this and it proves that it's more than just a toy, though I like that aspect (toy) as well. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm kind of slightly leaning toward Magellan's 760's features over the Garmin (for now) though I'm hearing that both are top-notch.
    I was thinking of getting one of these, but quite frankly I'm not sure it's worth the money. If you REALLY want a new toy, I strongly suggest buying a new PDA. I had a blast this past week and am almost depressed I made my decision.

Now I have to figure out what my next shiney new dealy will be...

Quote Originally Posted by Gringaloca
    yup -- can be invaluable when hiking, too

Here's the Magellan 760. It's new and retails for about $1,100 but not available (or limited supply) to the stores yet.

http://www.magellangps.com/en/produc...sp?PRODID=1091
    ah -- OK

A friend who does outdoors stuff loves hi s garmin, but it's a totally different product.

(btw, I know somebody else said they don't like their car system, but fwiw, my car came with one (which I didn't want, btw), and now I can't imagine not having one -- it's a fantastic product)

Quote Originally Posted by cubswin
    ah -- OK

(btw, I know somebody else said they don't like their car system, but fwiw, my car came with one (which I didn't want, btw), and now I can't imagine not having one -- it's a fantastic product)
    My mistake is not getting one that was factory installed when I purchased my vehicle.

i have alpine navigation...it is byfar the best i have seen. Only time it didnt know where i was was when i was in the middle of cowland deleware (and i hadnt changed its setting from northeast). Voice instructions are great, mutes the music as it talks...i set it on minimal talking though, cause on normal they like to remind a lot.

I've got a handheld Garmin which I don't use as much anymore now that I have the navi that came with my car but the Garmin unit was great when I did use it.

-Deborah
    [URL="http://www.aplaceformyphotos.com/blog/"]http://www.aplaceformyphotos.com/blog/[/URL]

I do not post on NoMaas. That silverdsl is not this silverdsl.

Quote Originally Posted by bnorris85
    i have alpine navigation...it is byfar the best i have seen. Only time it didnt know where i was was when i was in the middle of cowland deleware (and i hadnt changed its setting from northeast). Voice instructions are great, mutes the music as it talks...i set it on minimal talking though, cause on normal they like to remind a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by silverdsl
    I've got a handheld Garmin which I don't use as much anymore now that I have the navi that came with my car but the Garmin unit was great when I did use it.

-Deborah
    Thanks for the recommendations.

Deb, Jim was telling me about the Garmin too. I think I'm leaning toward the Magellan 760 that just came out. Most of the reviews have been very good.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=electronics

NYYF Legend

I want to buy a navigation system for a Christmas present and I know nothing about these things.

Dooley - which one did you end up with?

anyone with more suggestions/reviews?
    Life is a Waste of Time, Time is a Waste of Life, so let's get Wasted all the Time, and have the Time of our Lives

It's not about the destination. It's about the journey.

"Only the good die young"

Quote Originally Posted by yanksrule69
    I want to buy a navigation system for a Christmas present and I know nothing about these things.

I saw another one advertised on TV called "Tom Tom" I think.

Quote Originally Posted by yanksrule69

The Garmin 2720. It was also rated by PC Mag as the best. The screen is amazing and probably the only unit out there not affected by sun glare. Just remember, if you get it, make sure you upgrade the software from Garmin's site (it's free). Earlier versions on some models took a little longer to acquire satellites.

The list is over a grand, but you can probably get it for about $800 or less somewhere.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1866425,00.asp

http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2720/

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Yank
    I saw another one advertised on TV called "Tom Tom" I think.
    I've done a lot of research on GPS units. The word is to stay away from Tom Tom's in the US. It's mapping (TeleNav) is awful compared to what most other U.S. Gps's use (NavTeq).

In Europe (where it's manufactured) the Tom Tom is fine.

Thread Information