+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 11 12 13 14
    NYYF Legend

Re: Great Yankee photos

I wonder if this picture was taken after he found out that he couldn't play anymore due to his illness?

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one
    I wonder if this picture was taken after he found out that he couldn't play anymore due to his illness?
    Photo doesn't say, but I'd take a gander and guess after. I think the newspeople did a series of photos of Gehrig around his house in the months after he retired while he was still well enough to walk. This may have been one of them, but I don't know; 1939 was all it said -- didn't even confirm it was his dog!
    "You aint my b!tch, n!gga! Buy your own damn fries!" -- Barack Obama

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by penguin4

Tara, those additions are AWESOME. I'm so glad you stepped in (while I was bugging Vicki, Trishie & Billy Jeanne).

Here's a few more:

Ruth/Miller Huggins

JoeD & wife; Abbott & Costello

Joe McCarthy

Aaron Ward (1st Yankee to get a hit at Yankee Stadium in 1923 (as stated by a baseball expert on another board))

1937 All-Star Game (July 7) at Griffith Stadium - Washington D.C. From left to right: Lou Gehrig, Joe Cronin, Bill Dickey, Joe DiMaggio, Charlie Gehringer, Jimmie Foxx & Hank Greenberg.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Nice, Brad! The color looks REALLY fake in the last photo, though -- they shouldn't've even bothered and just left it B&W.

Love the one of Abbott & Costello, as well!

Here's one version of a lead-in to Who's On First:

Costello: "This telegram is from Joe DiMaggio. Listen to this. 'Dear Lou, as you know I am recovering from a foot operation. I would appreciate you taking my place on the New York Yankees while I recover. Please report to Yankee Stadium immediately.' Signed, 'Joe DiMaggio.' Abbott, that's the news I've been waiting for. I'm going to be a big-league ballplayer! Yeah, DiMaggio probably heard about my playing with the Cucamonga Wildcats last year!"
    Abbott: "You, a ballplayer, Costello? I don't believe it. You know nothing about ball."
    Costello: "Oh no? I eat baseball, I live baseball, all night when I'm asleep I dream about baseball."
    Abbott: "Don't you ever dream about girls?"
    Costello: "What, and miss my turn up at bat?"
    [Abbott groans]
    Abbott: "What's a matter with you?"
    Costello: "And another thing, Abbott, what page are you on?"
    Abbott: "Nevermind what page I'm on!"
    Costello: "And another thing, Abbott, not only that, in Paterson, New Jersey, I worked out with a baseball team. I used to stay out until four o'clock in the morning?"
    Abbott: "Why did you stay out until four o'clock in the morning?"
    Costello: "This was a girls' baseball team!"
    Abbott: "Costello, have you really ever played for the New York Yankees? You really have to know something about big-league baseball, Lou."
    Costello: "I know all about baseball."
    Abbott: "Suppose there's a left-handed pitcher pitching. What do you do?"
    Costello: "I put in a right-handed batter."
    Abbott: "Now suppose there's a righthander who's pitching. What do you do?"
    Costello: "I put in a left-handed batter."
    Abbott: "Now I trick you. I take out the right-handed pitcher and put in a left-handed pitcher."
    Costello: "And I doublecross you! I take out my left-handed batter, and put in a right-handed batter!"
    Abbott: "Now wait a minute? Where are you getting all those right-handed batters?"
    Costello: "The same place where you're getting all those left-handed pitchers!"

[It later goes on to talk about Feller pitching for Cleveland. "There's only one Feller pitching for Cleveland!" "You mean the feller that pitches is Feller? And there's no other feller that pitches?"]

http://www.archive.org/download/otr_...n_Live_Rad.mp3
    "You aint my b!tch, n!gga! Buy your own damn fries!" -- Barack Obama

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by penguin4
    Nice, Brad! The color looks REALLY fake in the last photo, though -- they shouldn't've even bothered and just left it B&W.

Love the one of Abbott & Costello, as well!

Here's one version of a lead-in to Who's On First:

Costello: "This telegram is from Joe DiMaggio. Listen to this. 'Dear Lou, as you know I am recovering from a foot operation. I would appreciate you taking my place on the New York Yankees while I recover. Please report to Yankee Stadium immediately.' Signed, 'Joe DiMaggio.' Abbott, that's the news I've been waiting for. I'm going to be a big-league ballplayer! Yeah, DiMaggio probably heard about my playing with the Cucamonga Wildcats last year!"
    Abbott: "You, a ballplayer, Costello? I don't believe it. You know nothing about ball."
    Costello: "Oh no? I eat baseball, I live baseball, all night when I'm asleep I dream about baseball."
    Abbott: "Don't you ever dream about girls?"
    Costello: "What, and miss my turn up at bat?"
    [Abbott groans]
    Abbott: "What's a matter with you?"
    Costello: "And another thing, Abbott, what page are you on?"
    Abbott: "Nevermind what page I'm on!"
    Costello: "And another thing, Abbott, not only that, in Paterson, New Jersey, I worked out with a baseball team. I used to stay out until four o'clock in the morning?"
    Abbott: "Why did you stay out until four o'clock in the morning?"
    Costello: "This was a girls' baseball team!"
    Abbott: "Costello, have you really ever played for the New York Yankees? You really have to know something about big-league baseball, Lou."
    Costello: "I know all about baseball."
    Abbott: "Suppose there's a left-handed pitcher pitching. What do you do?"
    Costello: "I put in a right-handed batter."
    Abbott: "Now suppose there's a righthander who's pitching. What do you do?"
    Costello: "I put in a left-handed batter."
    Abbott: "Now I trick you. I take out the right-handed pitcher and put in a left-handed pitcher."
    Costello: "And I doublecross you! I take out my left-handed batter, and put in a right-handed batter!"
    Abbott: "Now wait a minute? Where are you getting all those right-handed batters?"
    Costello: "The same place where you're getting all those left-handed pitchers!"

[It later goes on to talk about Feller pitching for Cleveland. "There's only one Feller pitching for Cleveland!" "You mean the feller that pitches is Feller? And there's no other feller that pitches?"]

http://www.archive.org/download/otr_...n_Live_Rad.mp3
    Thanks, Tara. I'm gld that you liked them.

One of the history baseball gurus was asking us about colorizing, and that was the only pic from that game. I too dislike colorizing.

I appreciate the lead-in to Who's on First. I see once again that you really love your baseball history.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Dispatch Photo News Serv, ca1933 NYY composite 14x17";

Last edited by fdnyladder7; 08-23-12 at 08:30 PM.

I came across this painting...its so awesome

1936 MVP's, Lou and Carl... Likely during the prep of the popular Time mag article on Oct 5.

"If you want to hit my screwball, you'll need this."
    Last edited by fdnyladder7; 08-23-12 at 08:36 PM.

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Poeman View Post
    I came across this painting...its so awesome

Where did you see this photo? Love it.

NYYF Legend

Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

Something kind of different from 1926 - click and take a look. You can enlarge it for better viewing.

A CAMERA STUDY OF BABE RUTH AT BAT

http://www.newspaperarchive.com/FreePdfViewer.aspx?img=56139329
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

Daddy Loves His Baby Angels

1010 WINS

Thread Information