+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

El Duque: Respect from the 'rookie'?

WOW! I don't ever remember 'Duque throwing an intentional brush-back..

Guess the 'kid' really p*ssed him off...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASA...news&fext=.jsp

A White Sox source said Friday's incident actually took root two days ago, when Rogowski hit a line drive back up the middle with Hernandez on the mound. Although Hernandez had a screen in front of him during the session, he didn't appreciate the comebacker when hitters are signaled as to what pitch is coming, nor what he perceived as the ensuing reaction.

Although the problem seemed to be settled at the time, Hernandez decided that some sort of message was still there to be sent. Manager Ozzie Guillen liked Hernandez's attitude, but would have preferred the target to be part of another franchise.

"That shows me what kind of person we have on the mound," Guillen said of El Duque. "I respect that. I wasn't too happy about it, but he's got his own reasons, and I can live with that. He came to me and said why and what happened and stuff. I just turned the page and moved on.

"He's competitive," Guillen added of El Duque. "I like that, when a guy doesn't like to be embarrassed by anybody. A lot of guys should learn from that when we face another team."

Re: El Duque: Respect from the 'rookie'?

I miss him and Jon Lieber already.
    [SIZE=3]It's our game, the American game... and a blessing to us. --Walt Whitman[/SIZE]

He never took sh*t from anyone.
    Fire Cashman!

There was never any question about El Duque's competitive nature or guts, only his ability to stay healthy.
    ~John

NYYF Legend

El Duque epitomizes a pitcher.

Good for Duque. No one shows up the Duke.

Down goes Duque!!!!
    "I'd like to thank the Good Lord for making me a Yankee."

According to Bruce Levine of ESPN1000:

El Duque was pissed off because the rookie was laughing after the hit and was talking it up with other players later.

The rookie was so shaken up after the was brushback that one of the coaches had to talk with him. I'm guessing he learned a valuable lesson, courtesy of El Duque.

We should have started el duque in game 7, 40 mile an hour eephus pitches and 70 mph fastballs would have been better than KB and JV at that point.

NYYF MVP

I wish we could have found a place in the pen for El Duque. There's nobody I'd rather hand the ball in the 7th inning with no outs and the bases loaded. He has the composure not to get rattled by pressure, and the craftiness to pitch his way out of anything. And he'd be less of a dead arm risk out of the pen too.

Good luck to El Duque.

NYYF Cy Young

I'm sure going to miss El Duque. Few have more fun and are more exciting than he is.

NYYF Legend

Forest Lawn Memorial Park - Plot: Court of Freedom Block 7060 Lot 6-A

Rogowski was very lucky Roger Clemens was not on the mound instead.
    3 4 5 7 8 10 16 37

Quote Originally Posted by Brent
    We should have started el duque in game 7, 40 mile an hour eephus pitches and 70 mph fastballs would have been better than KB and JV at that point.

Ain't that the truth.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Casey37
    Rogowski was very lucky Roger Clemens was not on the mound instead.
    Duque can get his fastball to go about 90-91, still would hurt like heck.

Players on the Whitesox should have some respect for El Duque. They could learn a thing or two about winning from him. See 1998, 1999, 2000 . . Not a bad influence on any team trying to win.

-Triple G

I miss Duque...the White Sox are lucky to have him.

Quote Originally Posted by ring403
    There was never any question about El Duque's competitive nature or guts, only his ability to stay healthy.
    Sounds like 3/5ths of our current rotation.
    [SIZE=3]It's our game, the American game... and a blessing to us. --Walt Whitman[/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Brent

I have been saying that since the moment I found out that Kevin Brown was given the start. It still burns me. That qualified as one of Joe's dumbest decisions ever, at least with the Yankees. And, does anyone think that El would have given up a grand slam on the first pitch if he had been brought in instead of Javy?

El Duque should still be here, it was a bad job by the Yanks' decision makers to let him walk. I WILL be in the house if he gets a start when the Chisox come to town.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

I guess I'm going to be one of the few who thinks that's not a particularly admirable thing that El Duque did. I understand that he wants to send a message about respect to a rookie but there are ways to handle that IMO inside the clubhouse without brushing back one of your own teammates. If a pitcher absolutely must retalitate and throw at a hitter I just don't think it should be directed towards a teammate.

-Deborah
    [URL="http://www.aplaceformyphotos.com/blog/"]http://www.aplaceformyphotos.com/blog/[/URL]

I do not post on NoMaas. That silverdsl is not this silverdsl.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by silverdsl
    I guess I'm going to be one of the few who thinks that's not a particularly admirable thing that El Duque did. I understand that he wants to send a message about respect to a rookie but there are ways to handle that IMO inside the clubhouse without brushing back one of your own teammates. If a pitcher absolutely must retalitate and throw at a hitter I just don't think it should be directed towards a teammate.

-Deborah
    I'm with ya on that one Deborah. I have a feeling that if Curt Schilling did the same thing to one of the Red Sox rookies, members of this board would not be applauding him for being a "warrior". There are definitely better ways to teach a rookie "respect" than brushing the guy back. Kind of a jerk move on Duque's part, IMHO.
    "God, I hope I wear this jersey forever." - Derek Jeter

Quote Originally Posted by MisterNovember
    I'm with ya on that one Deborah. I have a feeling that if Curt Schilling did the same thing to one of the Red Sox rookies, members of this board would not be applauding him for being a "warrior". There are definitely better ways to teach a rookie "respect" than brushing the guy back. Kind of a jerk move on Duque's part, IMHO.
    Schilling did do the same thing to Kevin Millar last year. Millar was bragging about his lifetime numbers against Schilling and the next day Millar hit the dirt on a Schilling pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by silverdsl

-Deborah
    Why waste the words on a conversation about respect. He made his point, nobody got hurt, and the rookie learned a valuable lesson all in less time than it took me to write this.

Duque has an old school mentality like few current players and I happen to believe that it makes him one of the more fun players to watch. I'll take the game twenty years ago over today's any day of the week.

He certainly isn't an irrational headhunter, but the kid was asking for it.

I like the fact that he went to Guillen and explained himself on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by ring403
    The White Sox seem to very impressed with his condition so far.

"If I had to pick two guys in better shape than anyone, it's El Duque and (Jose) Contreras. (Hernandez) is the last guy on the staff I have to worry about." Ozzie

"We've got 60 players in camp. Half are right around 25. This guy is 35, and he comes into camp as the best physical specimen we have. The doctors keep raving about the what kind of shape he's in." KW
    [B][I]Only two teams in baseball history have won wire to wire, had the most victories in their league and also swept the World Series: the 1927 Yankees and the 2005 White Sox.[/I][/B]

[URL="http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?statType=1&c_id=cws&readBoxes=true&venueID=&timeSubFrame=2006&baseballScope=AL&prevPage1=1&teamPosCode=all&timeFrame=1&sitSplit=&section1=null&subScope=teamCode&compare.y=9&sortByStat=OPS&compare.x=&box1=XXXX116539nya6&box2=XXXX120074bosD&box3=XXXX113679chaO&statSet1=1"][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Cuban Connection
    The White Sox seem to very impressed with his condition so far.

"If I had to pick two guys in better shape than anyone, it's El Duque and (Jose) Contreras. (Hernandez) is the last guy on the staff I have to worry about." Ozzie

"We've got 60 players in camp. Half are right around 25. This guy is 35, and he comes into camp as the best physical specimen we have. The doctors keep raving about the what kind of shape he's in." KW
    El Duque is a tremendous athlete. He has always been one of the best fielding pitchers in the game, because of his agility and quickness.
    The only knock on him is that at this point in his career, his arm has trouble withstanding the grind of pitching every fifth day.
    The Yankees have always liked him and wanted him back, but were unwilling to match Chicago's offer, or guarantee him a spot in the rotation. I personally hope he does very well with the White Sox, except, of course, when he faces the Yankees.
    ~John

NYYF Legend

I'm going to really miss El Duque next year. He was the most entertaining pitcher to watch.
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

Thread Information