+ Reply to Thread
    Devoted Member

Patrolling Fenway's Right Field Grandstand

Red Sox CF in 2006?

I know this might be a little bit of forward thinking, especially on a Yankee board, but I saw on SI.com today that Damon wants to stay with the Sox after his contract ends in 2005, but "its up to them."

I think management likes Johnny, his style of play and attitude, and realizes that he's a fan favorite, and barring a horrendous year or injury, I'd expect to see him roaming the Fenway CF for a few seasons to come.

What do you guys (and girls) think?
    let's go terriers!

BC sucks!

NYYF Legend

Re: Red Sox CF in 2006?

Quote Originally Posted by sox jedi 14
    I know this might be a little bit of forward thinking, especially on a Yankee board, but I saw on SI.com today that Damon wants to stay with the Sox after his contract ends in 2005, but "its up to them."

I think management likes Johnny, his style of play and attitude, and realizes that he's a fan favorite, and barring a horrendous year or injury, I'd expect to see him roaming the Fenway CF for a few seasons to come.

Damon is a very good player, but he will have to take a pay cut, or sign a shorter deal to stay w/ the Sox. I think if Damon goes they'll try Hanley Ramirez in CF if he does well this year in AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by sox jedi 14

I think they'll stick with Tommy Damon.

Won't scruple to squash Prickly Pete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nhyankeefan
    Damon is a very good player, but he will have to take a pay cut, or sign a shorter deal to stay w/ the Sox. I think if Damon goes they'll try Hanley Ramirez in CF if he does well this year in AAA.
    Hanley Ramirez is apparently going to start the season as the SS in Double-A, so I'd be surprised if they see him as a real possibility to be the starting CFer on the big league club as soon as next year. I'm guessing the first part of your post is the way they try to go. The biggest obstacle may be that Damon's agent is Scott Boras, so getting an extension done before he hits the market may be impossible.

Most star players don't spend much time in AAA, in fact, some of them just jump right from AA. Most would expect Hanley to be ready to play at the majors in 2006. I think giving Damon a 3 yr deal would be a poor move. The red sox already have enough older players as it is. If they locked up Damon to a 3 yr deal, too much of their team would be guys in their mid 30's. Its time to inject some youth into the team.

Quote Originally Posted by nhyankeefan
    Hanley will be playing for AA Portland this year, at least at the beginning. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't heard anything about the Sox switching him to CF yet. If he stays with the Sox, I'd say we'll see Hanley in '07 (maybe at SS or 3B?).

Last year Damon really played up to his $8M salary, as he was in the top 10 (top 5?) players in the AL. If they can sign him for 4/32 again or 3/27, I'd say do it.

Quote Originally Posted by scull567
    Most would expect Hanley to be ready to play at the majors in 2006.
    As the starting CFer for a team with championship aspirations? I'd like to see him actually play CF first, and get more than 32 games at AA under his belt. Seeing him in the bigs in 2006 is certainly possible, but I doubt he's Option 1 to replace Johnny Damon right now. I'm not sure what is.

Theo won't re-sign Damon. Damon is on the wrong side of 30, just had his best year, and probably won't match it again.

I REALLY want Hanley to be at SS. But, he I wouldn't be surprised if he was moved to CF. He's definitley athletic enough, with a very, very good arm. But he's going to be better than Renteria by 2007 so...

Hanley WAS supposed to be our SS in 2006 afterall, I don't see why he should wait to become a rookie until 2007.

Addicted Member

this year will be a year of change for hanley, that's for sure. i am sure he will be seeing a lot time at 2b, 3b and CF. to make him ready for the majors. it's seems that he wont be making his debet at short, but second and Cf seem to be a really big possibility.

also, with many of the FO saying they want to lower the team salery, this is a good way to start, isnt it? by getting rid of a pretty big chunk (6-9 per year)

I don't thin the Sox will re-sign Damon and it'll be becuase of money. They do have a few young guns coming up, and they would be a much cheaper option. However, even as a Yankee fan, i'd like to see Damon in Boston.
    "I'd like to thank the Good Lord for making me a Yankee."

Released Outright

Speaking strictly as a Yankee fan, I certainly hope whomever plays CF for the Sox in '06 sucks and makes lots and lots of errors.

Okay, barring that, how about a future HOFer? Preferably one that spends a lot of time on the DL.

(Note: the above is a JOKE. As in...I'M JOKING. Thank you for your attention to this matter).

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by bleachersown
    I don't thin the Sox will re-sign Damon and it'll be becuase of money. They do have a few young guns coming up, and they would be a much cheaper option. However, even as a Yankee fan, i'd like to see Damon in Boston.
    I don't think they will either, and it will be because of Boras. I think its a miracle that Varitek came back, and the only reason why (IMO) is because he really wanted to stay and also he's the Captain now, so I bet the prestige made Boras happy. He's a great guy though, I hope he stays.
    let's go terriers!

BC sucks!

They will overpay Damon.
    Fire Cashman!

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    They will overpay Damon.
    What makes you think this?
    "God, I hope I wear this jersey forever." - Derek Jeter

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by MisterNovember
    Well I could see this happening too. He's a positive force on the team, fan favorite, people pay to watch him play, etc. Same strengths as Varitek, who I think they overpaid for, and rightly so.
    let's go terriers!

BC sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by MisterNovember
    There aren't many good CF options that are likely to be available next year (which is why it was so important for the Yankees to sign Beltran). If any team is going to reward Damon for past performance, it might as well be the team that he gave that performance to, as opposed to the Yankees, who too often pay for the past instead of the future.
    Fire Cashman!

I think the Sox have limited options to go with for 2006 in CF. I would like to keep Johnny around, but I would not overpay him. If he has a comparable year to last year I would definitely make it a top priority to keep him around. However, if he shows a decline in his statistics then I would consider moving on. Juan Pierre is a possible option via FA, if he keeps his OBP up around .375 or so (.374 last year). In the end this debate could very well hinge on Hanley Ramirez's progression in AAA. He is only 21 years old and is the 24th best prospect in baseball according to Baseball Prospectus.

If Hanley shows that he can play in the majors then I would fully expect to see him in CF in 2006 if he is not traded. He has immense talent and according to several scouts he is athletic and his ceiling is limitless. He may very well be a bust, but from all accounts this guy is the real deal. If he appears to not be ready, however, then I think the Sox will overpay for Damon.

Hanley is amazing.

Send Lawyers Guns and Money

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    They will overpay Damon.
    Just like they overpaid for Pedro and DLowe, right?

For all we know, it could be Jay Payton as the starting CF. I sure didn't predict Bellhorn as our starting 2nd baseman this year at the beginning of last season.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by somejerk
    Just like they overpaid for Pedro and DLowe, right?
    No, more like they overpaid for Varitek.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Merlyn
    I think the Sox have limited options to go with for 2006 in CF. I would like to keep Johnny around, but I would not overpay him. If he has a comparable year to last year I would definitely make it a top priority to keep him around. However, if he shows a decline in his statistics then I would consider moving on. Juan Pierre is a possible option via FA, if he keeps his OBP up around .375 or so (.374 last year). In the end this debate could very well hinge on Hanley Ramirez's progression in AAA. He is only 21 years old and is the 24th best prospect in baseball according to Baseball Prospectus.

If Hanley shows that he can play in the majors then I would fully expect to see him in CF in 2006 if he is not traded. He has immense talent and according to several scouts he is athletic and his ceiling is limitless. He may very well be a bust, but from all accounts this guy is the real deal. If he appears to not be ready, however, then I think the Sox will overpay for Damon.
    I'd love it the Sox let Damon walk and replaced him with Juan Pierre.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan
    I'd love it the Sox let Damon walk and replaced him with Juan Pierre.
    He makes things happen out there.

Um, if we are going to get Pierre, I'd rather keep Damon. Pierre is barely a league average hitter, and his effiency in stealing bases is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by BH3089
    Um, if we are going to get Pierre, I'd rather keep Damon. Pierre is barely a league average hitter, and his effiency in stealing bases is terrible.
    Yeah, but he's scrappy.

Thread Information