+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Auction League Questions

I have a question:

Rickie Weeks was demoted to the minors. What are my options with him? Can I move him to the minors on my team or do I have to either "play" him or cut him?

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by gdn
    I have a question:

Rickie Weeks was demoted to the minors. What are my options with him? Can I move him to the minors on my team or do I have to either "play" him or cut him?
    You can reserve him or cut him. If you cut him, he's a FA and anyone can sign him for $10.

If you reserve him, you still cut him, but nobody else can sign him. When you reserve a player you either:

Add $5 to his base salary and his contract stays the same

OR

you immediately sign him to a 2-year contract extention, meaning he's yours for 2008 and 2009, but his salary is $11 ($3 current deal, plus $8) for each of the next two seasons.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E
    You can reserve him or cut him. If you cut him, he's a FA and anyone can sign him for $10.

If you reserve him, you still cut him, but nobody else can sign him. When you reserve a player you either:

Add $5 to his base salary and his contract stays the same

OR

you immediately sign him to a 2-year contract extention, meaning he's yours for 2008 and 2009, but his salary is $11 ($3 current deal, plus $8) for each of the next two seasons.
    Okay, if I reserve the player, can I promote and demote him as many times as the team does or is it a once a year thing, with the rules applying anew each time?

Well...nobody's actually reserved a player more than once in a season.

I'll have to think about that one.

I was going through the old constitution that was pasted near the beginning of this thread. A lot of things, after discussions here, were changed, such as the section on trades and minor leaguers.

So I've been going through it, and will repost it here soon. I will detail anythings I changed so it's obvious, but it's basically the rules we've been operating under, with some things clarified. For example:

OLD
    1.1. There will be ____ teams in the NYYFans Baseball League consisting of a mix of American and National league players. Each team will consist of 27 players (23 starters and 4 minor leaguers).

NEW
    1.1. There will be a maximum of 12 teams in the NYYFans.com Fantasy Baseball Auction League, consisting of a mix of American and National league players. Each team will consist of a maximum 27 players (23 starters and 4 minor leaguers). THERE IS NO BENCH. A team may also have up to 6 players on their Injured List, provided that they are on the real-life MLB disabled list.
    The blue sections have been added. The NO BENCH and 6 players on the DL are what we've been using from the beginning. Now it's just here, spelled out.

As you will see, the biggest changes from the original document that Snatch Catch had found are in the minor leagues. I also added a section on Expansion Teams.

I believe, to the best of my ability, that this document reflects how this league has been run for the last two years.

If I messed anything up, let me know. Changes/additions are in blue.

I will detail what was changed in a later post.

***************************************************************************************************

The Updated Constitution:

I. TEAMS AND ROSTERS

1.1. There will be a maximum of 12 teams in the NYYFans.com Fantasy Baseball Auction League, consisting of a mix of American and National league players. Each team will consist of a maximum 27 players (23 starters and 4 minor leaguers). THERE IS NO BENCH. A team may also have up to 6 players on their Injured List, provided that they are on the real-life MLB disabled list.

1.2. A team's roster consists of the following players:

· 5 outfielders
    · 2 catchers
    · 1 second baseman
    · 1 shortstop
    · 1 second baseman or shortstop (middle infielder, aka MI position)
    · 1 first baseman
    · 1 third baseman
    · 1 first or third baseman (corner infielder, aka CI position)
    · 1 utility player (non-pitcher who can be any offensive player)
    · 9 pitchers (any combination of starters and relievers)
    · 4 minor league players (any position)

1.3. There is a minimum innings requirement for all staffs of 900 innings. Anyone who does not achieve 900 innings, will be placed last in the categories of ERA and WHIP.

II. AUCTION

2.1. Each team must acquire 23 players at a total cost not to exceed $260 (not real money). A team need not spend the maximum. Money left over after the auction is forfeited. Once the season begins, teams may sign free agents, and their roster value may exceed the $260 starting limit without penalty.

2.2. Teams will nominate players for acquisition in random order.

2.3. The following players are eligible for the major league auction:

· Any players who are on a major league 40-man roster and are still with the major league club at the time of the auction

· Any players who are not on a major league 40-man roster but are projected to start the season on the major league squad.

2.4. If an ineligible player is selected in the auction and his ineligible status is not declared at the time of the auction, league executives have from the end of the auction until twenty-four hours before the start of the first game of opening day to uncover this error. If the error is uncovered, the team who selected the illegal player must pick a replacement player from the free agent pool. This replacement will count as a free agent in all aspects, including the $10 salary. The ineligible player will then be released outright and cannot be resigned until such time he is legally eligible.

2.5. The team bidding first opens with a salary bid of at least $1 for any eligible player and the bidding proceeds at minimum increments of $1 until only one bidder is left. That team acquires the nominated player for the final bid amount. The process is repeated, with successive owners nominating players to be bid on, until every team has acquired a squad of 23 players by requisite position.

2.6. No team may make a bid for a player it cannot afford. For example, a team with $3 left and two openings on its roster is limited to a maximum bid of $2 for one player. (Leaving $1 for the other unfilled roster spot.)

2.7. No team may bid for a player who qualifies only at a position that the team has already filled and that team has already fulfilled its utility position.

2.8. After an owner acquires a player, he immediately chooses the position that player will fill. Players eligible at more than one position may be shifted during the course of the auction.

2.9. The salary of a player acquired in the major league auction is his final bid amount.

III. POSITION ELIGIBILITY

3.1. A player may be assigned to any position at which he appeared in 20 or more games in the preceding season. If a player did not appear in 20 games at a single position, he may be drafted only at the position(s) at which he appeared most frequently.

3.2. Once the season is underway, a player becomes eligible for any position at which he appears at least 5 times.

3.3. The position eligibility of minor leaguers who have no major league experience will be determined by their projected fielding position for the upcoming season.

3.4. Once the season is underway, a minor league call-up has no prior major league experience will qualify at (a) the position he played in the minors if he is signed before he actually plays a game or (b) the first position he plays in the field in the major leagues if he is signed before he plays 5 games. After 5 games at one position, the usual position eligibility rules take effect.

IV. FEES

4.1. The entrance fee is $25, which must be paid prior to declaring keepers. Unless arrangements have been made, commissioner has right to freeze rosters until fees are up to date.

4.2. All transactions made throughout the season are free.

V. PLAYER SALARIES

5.1. The salary of a player does not change unless the player is released or is signed to a long-term contract.

5.2. The salary of a player acquired in the major league auction is his auction price.

5.3. The salary of a player drafted in the minor league draft is $5.

5.4. The salary of a player called up from the free agent pool during the season is $10.

5.5. When a player is claimed off waivers, his salary either becomes $10 or remains the same, whichever is higher. If the player clears waivers (i.e., is not claimed), then he becomes a free agent. If he is subsequently acquired, his salary becomes the same as a free agent, $10.

VI. PRIZE MONEY

6.1. There is no prize money for this league. All monies exceeding the costs for the league host (currently Sportsline.com) and the auction host (currently FantasyAuctioneer.com) are donated to NYYFans.com to help support that site.

6.2 If a trophy is donated by Sportsline.com, it shall be awarded to the league champion at the end of the season.

VII. STANDINGS

7.1. The following criteria are used to determine team performance:

· Composite Batting Average
    · Total Runs Scored
    · Total Home Runs
    · Total Runs Batted In
    · Total Stolen Bases
    · Total Wins
    · Total Saves
    · Composite Earned Run Average
    · Composite pitching ratio of walks and hits to innings pitched (RATIO = (BB + H)/IP)
    · Composite strikeouts

ILLEGAL ROSTERS WILL NOT ACCUMULATE STATISTICS.

7.2. Teams are ranked from first to last in each of the ten categories, and given points for each place. For example, in a twelve-team league, the first-place team in a category receives twelve points, the second-place team eleven, and so on down to one point for last place. The team with the most total points wins the pennant.

7.3. In case of ties in an individual category, the tied teams are assigned points by totaling points for the rankings at issue and dividing by the total number of teams tied.

7.4. In case of ties in total points, each team involved in the tie is compared to all other teams involved in the tie in each individual category. One point is given to each team for leading in a category. The team with the most points using this method wins the tiebreaker. If, after this method is used, it is still a tie, the tie stands.

VIII. STATS

8.1. CBS Sportsline will be the recommended statistical service chosen and will constitute the official statistics for our league. Any problems with statistics/player moves etc. must be reported to the Commissioner within 7 days.

8.2. The effective date of any transaction for purposes of statistical calculation is the day of the transaction if the transaction occurred before rosters lock (as determined by Sportsline). If the transaction occurred after rosters lock (as determined by Sportsline), it is effective the next day.

8.3. Performance statistics of a player shall be assigned to a Rotisserie League team only when he is on the active roster of that team.

8.4. Standings and Transactions will be tabulated daily on-line and available on the Internet.

8.5. All regular season statistics from Major League Baseball, including any extra games necessary to determine playoff teams, will be included. Statistics from Major League Baseball's playoffs are not included.

IX. TRADES
    9.1. From the completion of the major league auction until the first day of the major league season, rotisserie league teams are free to make trades of any kind without limit and without position requirements.

9.2. From the first day of the major league season until midnight of August 31, league teams are free to make trades of any kind without limit, so long as the active rosters of both teams involved in a trade reflect the required position distribution upon completion of the transaction. This would include subsequent pickups, drops, etc.

9.3. No trades may take place during the off-season.

9.4. There are no limits to the number of trades a team may make during the season.

9.5. Minor league draft picks and auction money may not be traded at any time.

X. WAIVERS

10.1. Any player may be released at any time by his rotisserie team.

10.2. When a player is released, he is placed on waivers for 3 days. Within those 3 days, the lowest placed team to claim the player acquires the player. The previous-year's standings shall be used to determine the original waiver order. After a team claims a player off of waivers, they are dropped to the bottom of the waiver order. Expansion teams are seeded last.

10.3. When a player is claimed off waivers, his salary either becomes $10 or remains the same, whichever is higher.

10.4. After the 3-day waiver period has passed, if the player has not been claimed, he immediately becomes a free agent and is available to all teams.

10.5. The team who waived the player cannot claim the player off waivers. That team must wait until the player clears waivers and becomes a free agent before reacquiring the player.

XI. FREE-AGENT ELIGIBILITY

11.1. Any player who is on an active major league roster, not owned by another rotisserie team, and not currently on the waiver list may be acquired as a free agent.

11.2. No free agents may be acquired between the last day of the previous season and Opening Day of the current season. (AKA "Free For All Day"). Opening day will be considered the first day that major league games take place that count in the regular season standings. Games played in countries other than the USA or Canada that count in the regular season standings are official, and will constitute the beginning of the "Free For All" period.

11.3. Free agents may be picked up from Opening Day of the season until midnight on the second to last day of the season.

11.4. After a player is released to the free agent pool, he is eligible to be claimed by all teams on a first-come, first-served basis.

11.5 No player in the real-life minor leagues may be signed as a Free Agent until the Minor League draft (see below) concludes.

XII. THE RESERVE LIST

12.1. A team may replace any player on its 23-man roster who has been placed on the Disabled List, sent down to the Minor Leagues, been designated for assignment, or been released by his major league team. Only players on the real-life MLB disabled list may be placed on a team's Injured List. Players who are ineligible for the minor leagues in this league or have been released by their major league team may be placed on the Reserve List.

12.2. A reserved player is removed from a team's active roster on the day the transaction was requested, if it occurred before rosters lock (as determined by Sportsline.com). If the transaction was requested after rosters lock (as determined by Sportsline.com), the player is removed from the team's active roster on the next day. The player is then placed on the team's Reserve List.

12.3. There is no limit to the number of players a team may have on its Reserve List.

12.4. Reserving a player protects a team's rights to that player. In order to reserve a player, the team owner must either:

(A) Add $5 to their base salary and their contract stays the same

OR

(B) Immediately sign them to a 2-year contract extension. (A $1 player would then be signed for 2009 and 2010 at $9 per year, for example).

12.5. Once a specific action has been taken to remove a player from its 23-man roster (via release or placing him on the Reserve List), a team is then free to activate a player from reserve, its minor league roster or select any eligible player from waivers or the free agent pool.

12.6. Once a player on the Reserve list has been added to his team's real-life Major League roster, that player must be added to the owner's active roster within 7 days. If the player is not activated within this time period, he will be automatically placed on waivers. Players on the real-life DL who were added to the Injured list in our league must be added to an owner's Active Roster within 7 days of being activated by their MLB team, or will be placed on waivers.

12.6.1 If an unsigned player in real-life is on a team's reserve list in this league, and signed by a MLB team but sent to the minors to 'get in shape', he does not have to be added to the active roster until 7 days after the player is brought up to the major leagues. (Roger Clemens Rule).

12.7. There are no limits to the number of Reserve/Activate moves a team can make in one season.

12.8. A suspended player may not be placed on the reserve list. If a player is suspended by Major League Baseball for seven or more days, he may be waived, but not reserved.

XIII. MINOR LEAGUES

13.1. After each MLB team has played at least one regular-season game, a four-round minor league draft will take place to pick the four minor league players for each team. Teams will draft in reverse order of the previous year's finish for the first round, continuing in a serpentine manner for each subsequent round. Expansion teams (see below) will get the first picks in the first round, in the order in which they were added to the league.

13.1.1 The minor league draft will be conducted in the Auction League forum at NYYFans.com. Since this can take a long time, the commissioner reserves the right to fix a time limit to make a pick. If a team exceeds the time limit, they will be skipped, and will be able to complete their minor league roster after the draft concludes.

13.2. Only players who qualify as a rookie in the major leagues (fewer than 130 AB or 50 IP) are eligible for the minor league draft. Players who exceeded the 50 IP limit but were sent to the minors to learn a fielding position, have still exceeded the IP limit and are not considered rookies, and are not eligible to be demoted to our minor leagues (Rick Ankiel Rule).

13.2.1 Only players who are currently signed by a major league team and assigned to a minor-league affiliate are eligible to be taken by a league team. High School players, College players, Independent League players (such as the Atlantic League or Northern League) and other unsigned players are not eligible (Jered Weaver rule).

13.2.2 Players drafted in the current year's June "entry draft" are not eligible to be signed by league teams as Free Agents until the next season's auction, unless they are called up to the majors in the year in which they are drafted.

13.3. When a player is drafted in the minor league draft, he is placed on the team's minor league roster.

13.4. Players "called up" by their real-life MLB teams do not have to be promoted to the active roster in our league. However, if a player is promoted to an active roster in our league:

· The player may not be demoted back to the minors until demoted by his MLB team

· The player may not be demoted back to the minors if he has reached the 130 AB or 50 IP limits

· Players demoted to the minors by the MLB team who are not eligible for our minor leagues can be either kept on the active roster (but will not earn any points), reserved (see XII, above) or released to the waiver wire.

13.5 A player taken in the minor league draft has a salary of $5.

13.6 A free-agent minor league player added to the minor league roster will also have a salary of $5.

13.7. A minor league player may be retained from one season to the next without his salary counting towards the team's $260 salary cap.

13.8. Each team has a maximum of four minor league players he may retain from one season to the next. In the minor league draft, a team may only draft enough players to reach the four-man minor league roster limit.

13.9. Players may only be kept in the minors from one season to the next if they have not exceeded the 130 AB/50 IP limit. Players who have exceeded that limit must be kept with a major league keeper or released.

XIV. ROSTER PROTECTION AND CONTRACTS

14.1. From season to season, each team must retain between 7 and 12 players, excluding minor league players. There is a limit of 4 minor league players a team may keep from one season to the next.

14.2. The names of the players being retained must be declared by a date decided by the league commissioner, but at least two weeks before the auction.

14.3. After the season, a player must be signed to a long-term contract, given his option contract, or released.

14.4. If a player is released, he is made available to all teams in the next major league auction.

14.5. If a player is given his option contract, his salary remains the same for one season. After that season is complete, the player must be released and made available for the next major league auction.

14.6. If a player is signed to a long-term contract, his salary will be raised by $4 for each year of the long-term contract. For example, if a player's salary is $9 and a team wishes to sign him to a three-year contract, his annual salary is increased by $12 to $21 for each of the next three years.

14.7. If a player is released before the end of a multi-year contract, the team releasing that player will be penalized as follows: The team's salary cap will be decreased by $1 for each year in the total number of years in the contract. For example, if a player is signed to a 4-year contract and is released during his second season, the team waiving the player will have $3 removed from his allotted salary cap in the next season, leaving that team with only $257 instead of the usual $260.

14.8. A player may be signed to only one long-term contract. After the contract has expired, the player must be released and made available for the next major league auction.

14.9. Minor league players are not bound by contract until they are called up to the active roster. A minor league player may be retained from one season to the next without his salary counting towards the team's $260 salary cap.

14.10. Trades do not affect the contract status of a player.

XV: EXPANSION TEAMS
    15.1 If fewer than 12 teams remain from the previous season, the league may seek out new owners to bring the league up to 12 teams.

15.2 If an equal number of owners leave the league as are interested in joining the league, the new owners will take over the existing franchises.

15.2.1 Teams will take over existing franchises in the following manner - the first owner expressing interest in the league will take over the abandoned team that finished highest in the standings. The second owner will take over an abandoned team that finished second highest in the standings, and so forth.

15.3 If there are more new owners joining the league than there are old owners leaving, then no new owners will take over abandoned teams, and an expansion draft will be held.

15.4 If no teams are being abandoned, but new teams are brought in to bring the total number of teams up to (or closer to) 12, then an expansion draft will be held.

15.5 In the expansion draft, new teams may select 7 players from the non-kept players from the returning teams, or from the rosters of the abandoned teams. They may not select players who were Free Agents at the end of the previous season or were on options contracts, and may not select players who were on minor league rosters. The order of the expansion draft will be the order that new owners asked to be included in the league, and proceed in a serpentine manner until the draft ends.

15.6 Expansion teams will not get any minor league keepers. They will fill their minor league roster during the minor league draft.

XVI. GOVERNANCE

16.1. The decision of the Commissioner supersedes the rules herein and is final in any disputes. He also has the power to change a rule with an unforeseen loophole post de facto (After the fact) for the benefit of the league. The overall good of the league as a whole will be greater then the benefit to any sum of its constituents.

16.2. The current Commissioner (until he gets fed up with it) is Big_E.

16.3. Rule changes, pronouncements, and acts of whimsy after the inaugural auction are determined by majority vote of the league owners.

16.4. The commissioner will hear all arguments on any disputed trades and will make a decision as to the acceptability of the trade in question.
    Last edited by Big_E; 01-18-08 at 09:44 AM.

Changes:

1.1 THERE IS NO BENCH. A team may also have up to 6 players on their Injured List, provided that they are on the real-life MLB disabled list.

This is how we've been playing all along. It was never in the constitution though, so this is a clarification.

*************************************************************************************************************************

2.1. Money left over after the auction is forfeited. Once the season begins, teams may sign free agents, and their roster value may exceed the $260 starting limit without penalty.

Again...just a clarification. If you finish the auction with $10 left, that money is not used for anything else. And because of the DL, and FA pickups, all teams have rosters exceeding $260 during the season.

Sections 2.10 and 2.11 were deleted as being redundant. They were about minor league stuff; that is covered in the minor league section

*************************************************************************************************************************

3.2. Once the season is underway, a player becomes eligible for any position at which he appears at least 5 times.

The old document said 15 times. Maybe it was a typo; we've always played with 5 games at a new position gives you new position eligibility.

Rule 3.5 was deleted, which said that players who switch positions permanently in the off-season will not be eligible at their old position. (Such as Alfonso Soriano moving from 2B to OF). This rule was never enforced and is really a lot of work to enforce.

VI. PRIZE MONEY

6.1. There is no prize money for this league. All monies exceeding the costs for the league host (currently Sportsline.com) and the auction host (currently FantasyAuctioneer.com) are donated to NYYFans.com to help support that site.

6.2 If a trophy is donated by Sportsline.com, it shall be awarded to the league champion at the end of the season.

The old document joked about the prizes for 3rd, 2nd and 1st place being "None, More none and Most none". This takes out the joke and replaces it with what happens with the money.

7.1 ILLEGAL ROSTERS WILL NOT ACCUMULATE STATISTICS.

Always been the way we played, but never spelled out in the constitution.

9.3. No trades may take place during the off-season.

Again....after the trade deadline of August 31, until the completion of the next season's auction, we've never allowed trades.

Deleted the old 9.3, 9.5 and 9.6;

9.3 was never a rule in our league -- it dealt with trading only with teams within 2 positions of you in the standings....we killed that immediately, but never documented it here.

10.2. When a player is released, he is placed on waivers for 3 days. Within those 3 days, the lowest placed team to claim the player acquires the player. The previous-year's standings shall be used to determine the original waiver order. After a team claims a player off of waivers, they are dropped to the bottom of the waiver order. Expansion teams are seeded last.

Any place the old rules said "7 days" it has been changed to "3 days". 3 days is the maximum waiver period at Sportsline. Also, the part that had waivers rotating based on current standings was changed so that there was a starting waivers based on the previous season's standings, with expansion teams last. It's how I've done it each of the last two seasons.

11.2. No free agents may be acquired between the last day of the previous season and Opening Day of the current season. (AKA "Free For All Day"). Opening day will be considered the first day that major league games take place that count in the regular season standings. Games played in countries other than the USA or Canada that count in the regular season standings are official, and will constitute the beginning of the "Free For All" period.

This defines "Free For All Day". We've always had FFA Day, but never defined it.

11.5 No player in the real-life minor leagues may be signed as a Free Agent until the Minor League draft (see below) concludes.

Again, always been how we've run the league. The old rule 11.5 limited people to 40 FA + Waiver acquisitions a year. We've never played that way.

Section XII: The Reserve List

This section was almost completely re-written from 12.1 through 12.6

There was previously confusion as to who could and could not be reserved, and it mentioned injured players, but we use a 6-player DL. It also didn't detail the penalties for reserving a player.

This section now clearly defines what the Reserve List is for.

Section XIII - The Minor Leagues

Also almost completely re-written. The old form mandated that players be called up if their MLB team did so, but had different rules before and after 9/1. It also didn't allow you to demote players to the minors or sign minor-league FA's.

The new section reflects the reality as to how we have been running the league for at least the last two seasons.

14.2. The names of the players being retained must be declared by a date decided by the league commissioner, but at least two weeks before the auction.

14.3. After the season, a player must be signed to a long-term contract, given his option contract, or released.

The old 14.2 was written for leagues that have an in-person auction.

14.3 has been clarified as to the different types of contracts.

SECTION XV: Expansion Teams

Completely new section. The old document did not deal with expansion teams at all. Again, this reflects, to the best of my ability how things have been run here.

I believe that is all the changes and clarifications...

NYYF HOF

Changes:

I believe that is all the changes and clarifications...

Awesome Job E; the clarifications were very much needed.
    NYYFans FBBL: Babe's Blasts

RIP Pete Cheng; the commish will be missed.

NYYF Legend

I was thinking - maybe this year's prize for 1st can be free entry next year?

In other words, split the entry fee amongst all the losing teams, while the winner pays nada.
    Auction League: Bitches Brew - 2006, 2007, 2008 Champs
    NYYFans.com League: Bad Apples - 2008 Champs

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yanksphan
    I was thinking - maybe this year's prize for 1st can be free entry next year?

In other words, split the entry fee amongst all the losing teams, while the winner pays nada.

I like this.

Also, I was hoping that maybe we could talk about this:

13.2.2 Players drafted in the current year's June "entry draft" are not eligible to be signed by league teams as Free Agents until the next season's auction, unless they are called up to the majors in the year in which they are drafted.

I think it would be fair to pick up these players once they've signed a contract with a MLB team and you have an open mL slot. They meet every other requirement to pick up a minor leaguer at that point.

If they're on limits to be on a roster if they're Major Leauguers, they shouldn't be off limits as minor leaguers, in my opinion.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

If I understood the rules correctly, since I am first new player to join, I get first pick in the minor league draft?

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch
    I like this.

Also, I was hoping that maybe we could talk about this:

I think it would be fair to pick up these players once they've signed a contract with a MLB team and you have an open mL slot. They meet every other requirement to pick up a minor leaguer at that point.

If they're on limits to be on a roster if they're Major Leauguers, they shouldn't be off limits as minor leaguers, in my opinion.
    I can go with that. 13.2.2 is how it's run in the other league, because we don't want people snagging the top 5 players in the June draft as soon as they're announced.

But if people here agree, we can change it to be:

13.2.2 Players drafted in the current year's June "entry draft" are not eligible to be signed by league teams as Free Agents until they sign a contract with a MLB franchise. Verifyable proof must be provided to the league comissioner of the player's signing.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84
    If I understood the rules correctly, since I am first new player to join, I get first pick in the minor league draft?
    Yes, in the first round.

Since it's serpentine, you would get the last pick in the 2nd round, first pick in the 3rd round (essentially back-to-back picks there) and the last pick in the last round.

NYYF Legend

Would a press release from Baseball America count as proof, or does it have to be from the actual team that signed him?

NYYF Legend

Yes, in the first round.

Since it's serpentine, you would get the last pick in the 2nd round, first pick in the 3rd round (essentially back-to-back picks there) and the last pick in the last round.
    Awesome....Jay Bruce, come to papa

NYYF Legend

Awesome....Jay Bruce, come to papa

Jay Bruce will probably be taken at Auction.

Would a press release from Baseball America count as proof, or does it have to be from the actual team that signed him?
    baseball america is fine. It just can't be from someone's blog, or wikipedia.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch
    Jay Bruce will probably be taken at Auction.
    Yeah you're right, he'll definitely be on the 40 man let alone the 25

My bad

NYYF Legend

baseball america is fine. It just can't be from someone's blog, or wikipedia.

"What does it matter if the IP resolves to my home? It SAYS he's signed!"

NYYF Legend

How much was the most expensive player bought last year and what did he go for? Any way I can see the auction results from ly?

NYYF Legend

How much was the most expensive player bought last year and what did he go for? Any way I can see the auction results from ly?
    Usuall in the $45 range for the most expensive guys.

As I said earlier, the auction results were kind of skewed last year because of having only 9 teams.

Yeah you're right, he'll definitely be on the 40 man let alone the 25

My bad
    He's not on the 40-man yet; he's a non-roster invitee.

The 40-man roster thing has never really been enforced either. Just keep in mind that if you take someone in the auction, and they are in the minor leagues, while you can demote them to the minors, to keep them in the future, you'd have to use a major league keeper on them. That means, an option contract or a long term deal. You could get Bruce, for say $6 in the auction if he's that good...he starts the season in the minors...to keep him in 2009 your options would be to renew him for $6 and lose him in 2010, or sign him to a long term deal which would be worth -- even if you got him for $1 in the auction...:

Option deal: $1 in 2009
    2 year deal: $9 in 2009, $9 in 2010
    3 year deal: $13 in 2009, $13 is 2010, $13 in 2011
    4 year deal: $17 in 2009, $17 in 2010, $17 in 2011, $17 in 2012.

if he was signed at the $6 in the original example:

Option deal: $6 in 2009
    2 year deal: $14 in 2009, $14 in 2010
    3 year deal: $18 in 2009, $18 is 2010, $18 in 2011
    4 year deal: $22 in 2009, $22 in 2010, $22 in 2011, $22 in 2012.

NYYF Legend

Thanks again for the info Big E.

One thing I am not clear on (I'm not stupid I swear) - I have done 3-4 mlb auctions before, but I never had a league where the FA's and waiver players cost $. Aside from the $260 salary cap for the auction, do we have a set dollar amount to work with on FA/waiver pickups? Where does the money for fa/waiver pickups come from?

The Players below were on teams' active roster or DL. It does not include players currently in the minor leagues. Contract is length of current deal. Players with an Asterisk (*) are either in the last year of a multi-year deal, or were on an option contract. In either case, they are ineligible for keepers.

Players with "MINORS" as a contract were minors keepers in 2007, and are now in the ML roster. They can be renewed at their $5 salary for one year, or returned to the auction.

So for example, Pujols was taken at $37. He can be signed to a long-term deal, renewed or dropped to the auction. Long term deals would be:

2 yrs/$90 contract ($45/yr)
    3 yrs/$147 contract ($49/yr)
    4 yrs/$212 contract ($53/yr)

Player Salary Contract
    Pujols, Albert 1B STL 37 1 Year
    Rodriguez, Alex 3B NYY 35 1 Year
    Soriano, Alfonso LF CHC 35 2 Years
    Santana, Johan SP MIN 35 1 Year
    Utley, Chase 2B PHI 33 1 Year*
    Beltran, Carlos CF NYM 31 2 Years
    Wright, David 3B NYM 31 2 Years
    Peavy, Jake SP SD 30 1 Year*
    Halladay, Roy SP TOR 29 1 Year*
    Lee, Derrek 1B CHC 28 1 Year*
    Wells, Vernon CF TOR 27 1 Year
    Tejada, Miguel SS HOU 27 1 Year*
    Suzuki, Ichiro RF SEA 27 1 Year*
    Reyes, Jose B. SS NYM 27 1 Year
    Ortiz, David DH BOS 25 1 Year
    Guerrero, Vladimir RF ANA 25 1 Year
    Konerko, Paul 1B CHW 25 1 Year*
    Cabrera, Miguel 3B DET 24 1 Year
    Martinez, Victor C CLE 24 1 Year*
    Jeter, Derek SS NYY 23 1 Year
    Crawford, Carl LF TB 22 1 Year
    Jones, Andruw CF LA 22 1 Year*
    Cain, Matt SP SF 22 3 Years
    Carpenter, Chris SP STL 22 1 Year
    Sizemore, Grady CF CLE 22 2 Years
    Liriano, Francisco SP MIN 22 3 Years
    Ramirez, Hanley SS FLA 21 4 Years
    Abreu, Bobby RF NYY 21 1 Year
    Berkman, Lance 1B HOU 21 2 Years
    Holliday, Matt LF COL 21 1 Year
    Mauer, Joe C MIN 20 1 Year*
    Bay, Jason LF PIT 20 1 Year*
    Hafner, Travis DH CLE 20 1 Year
    Nathan, Joe RP MIN 19 1 Year
    Lee, Carlos N. LF HOU 19 1 Year
    Tracy, Chad 3B ARI 18 1 Year*
    Haren, Dan SP ARI 18 1 Year*
    Harden, Rich SP OAK 18 1 Year*
    Rodriguez, Francisco RP ANA 18 1 Year
    Crede, Joe 3B CHW 18 2 Years
    Jackson, Conor 1B ARI 18 2 Years
    Hamels, Cole SP PHI 18 2 Years
    Ryan, B.J. RP TOR 17 1 Year*
    Weaver, Jered SP ANA 17 3 Years
    Francoeur, Jeff RF ATL 17 3 Years
    Howard, Ryan 1B PHI 17 2 Years
    Olsen, Scott SP FLA 17 3 Years
    Rivera, Mariano RP NYY 17 1 Year
    Kazmir, Scott SP TB 16 1 Year*
    Oswalt, Roy SP HOU 16 1 Year
    Wagner, Billy RP NYM 16 1 Year
    Rollins, Jimmy SS PHI 16 1 Year
    Ramirez, Manny LF BOS 16 1 Year
    Hoffman, Trevor RP SD 16 1 Year
    Furcal, Rafael SS LA 15 1 Year*
    Lester, Jon SP BOS 15 1 Year
    Jones, Chipper 3B ATL 15 1 Year
    Young, Michael SS TEX 14 1 Year
    Morneau, Justin 1B MIN 14 1 Year
    Mussina, Mike SP NYY 14 2 Years
    Renteria, Edgar SS DET 14 1 Year*
    Schilling, Curt SP BOS 14 1 Year*
    Webb, Brandon SP ARI 14 1 Year
    Matsuzaka, Daisuke SP BOS 13 1 Year
    McCann, Brian C ATL 13 1 Year*
    Zambrano, Carlos SP CHC 13 1 Year
    Markakis, Nick RF BAL 13 2 Years
    Wang, Chien-Ming SP NYY 13 1 Year*
    Fielder, Prince 1B MIL 13 2 Years
    Zimmerman, Ryan 3B WAS 13 2 Years
    Hernandez, Felix SP SEA 13 1 Year
    Putz, J.J. RP SEA 13 1 Year
    Drew, Stephen SS ARI 13 2 Years
    Pettitte, Andy SP NYY 13 1 Year*
    Duke, Zach SP PIT 13 1 Year*
    Cano, Robinson 2B NYY 13 1 Year*
    Street, Huston RP OAK 13 1 Year*
    Teixeira, Mark 1B ATL 12 1 Year
    Sabathia, C.C. SP CLE 12 1 Year
    Roberts, Brian 2B BAL 11 1 Year
    Rios, Alex RF TOR 11 1 Year
    Burnett, A.J. SP TOR 11 1 Year*
    Posada, Jorge C NYY 11 1 Year*
    Saito, Takashi RP LA 11 1 Year
    Smoltz, John SP ATL 11 1 Year
    Varitek, Jason C BOS 10 1 Year
    Hawpe, Brad RF COL 10 1 Year*
    Rowand, Aaron CF SF 10 1 Year
    Beltre, Adrian 3B SEA 10 1 Year
    Accardo, Jeremy RP TOR 10 1 Year
    Billingsley, Chad SP LA 10 1 Year
    Gregg, Kevin RP FLA 10 1 Year
    Ordonez, Magglio RF DET 10 1 Year
    Lidge, Brad RP PHI 10 1 Year
    Sonnanstine, Andy SP TB 10 1 Year
    Torrealba, Yorvit C COL 10 1 Year
    Braun, Ryan J. 3B MIL 10 1 Year
    Tulowitzki, Troy SS COL 10 1 Year
    Byrnes, Eric CF ARI 10 1 Year
    Carmona, Fausto SP CLE 10 1 Year
    Guthrie, Jeremy SP BAL 10 1 Year
    Harang, Aaron SP CIN 10 1 Year*
    Shields, James SP TB 10 1 Year
    Valverde, Jose RP HOU 10 1 Year
    Hill, Shawn SP WAS 10 1 Year
    Lowell, Mike 3B BOS 10 1 Year
    Wigginton, Ty 3B HOU 10 1 Year
    Blake, Casey 3B CLE 10 1 Year
    Figgins, Chone 3B ANA 10 1 Year
    Blanton, Joe SP OAK 10 1 Year
    Cordero, Chad RP WAS 10 1 Year
    Maine, John SP NYM 10 1 Year
    Vazquez, Javier SP CHW 10 1 Year
    LaRoche, Adam A. 1B PIT 10 1 Year
    Gordon, Alex 3B KC 10 1 Year
    Greene, Khalil SS SD 10 1 Year
    Polanco, Placido 2B DET 10 1 Year
    Granderson, Curtis CF DET 10 1 Year
    Hart, Corey C. RF MIL 10 1 Year
    Hernandez, Orlando SP NYM 10 1 Year
    Meche, Gil SP KC 10 1 Year
    Snell, Ian SP PIT 10 1 Year
    Hardy, J.J. SS MIL 10 1 Year
    Kotchman, Casey 1B ANA 10 1 Year
    Pierre, Juan CF LA 10 1 Year
    Young, Chris B. CF ARI 10 1 Year
    Penny, Brad SP LA 10 1 Year
    Young, Chris R. SP SD 10 2 Years
    Matthews, Gary CF ANA 10 1 Year
    Winn, Randy RF SF 10 1 Year
    Glavine, Tom SP ATL 10 1 Year
    Lowry, Noah SP SF 10 1 Year
    Marquis, Jason SP CHC 10 1 Year
    Morris, Matt SP PIT 10 1 Year
    Wainwright, Adam SP STL 10 1 Year*
    Wakefield, Tim SP BOS 10 1 Year
    Weathers, David RP CIN 10 1 Year
    Zumaya, Joel RP DET 10 1 Year*
    Buck, John C KC 10 1 Year
    Lopez, Jose 2B SEA 10 1 Year
    Gonzalez, Adrian 1B SD 10 1 Year
    Griffey, Ken CF CIN 10 1 Year
    Ibanez, Raul LF SEA 10 1 Year
    Jenkins, Geoff RF PHI 10 1 Year
    Nady, Xavier RF PIT 10 1 Year
    Gorzelanny, Tom SP PIT 10 1 Year
    Hill, Rich SP CHC 10 1 Year
    Papelbon, Jonathan RP BOS 10 1 Year*
    Ruiz, Carlos C PHI 10 1 Year
    Uggla, Dan 2B FLA 10 1 Year*
    Sosa, Sammy DH TEX 10 1 Year
    Bedard, Erik SP BAL 10 1 Year*
    Lilly, Ted SP CHC 10 1 Year
    Perez, Oliver SP NYM 10 1 Year
    Dye, Jermaine RF CHW 9 1 Year*
    Lackey, John SP ANA 9 1 Year*
    Swisher, Nick RF CHW 9 2 Years
    Youkilis, Kevin 1B BOS 9 2 Years
    Upton, B.J. CF TB 9 1 Year*
    Atkins, Garrett 3B COL 9 1 Year*
    Hernandez, Ramon C BAL 9 1 Year
    Lo Duca, Paul C WAS 8 1 Year
    Rodriguez, Ivan C DET 8 1 Year
    Jenks, Bobby RP CHW 8 1 Year
    Ray, Chris RP BAL 7 1 Year*
    Giambi, Jason DH NYY 7 1 Year
    Dunn, Adam LF CIN 6 1 Year
    Sheets, Ben SP MIL 6 1 Year
    Bonderman, Jeremy SP DET 6 1 Year
    Clemens, Roger SP NYY 6 1 Year
    Johjima, Kenji C SEA 6 1 Year
    Martin, Russell C LA 5 1 Year*
    Kinsler, Ian 2B TEX 5 1 Year*
    Gallardo, Yovani SP MIL 5 Minors
    Lincecum, Tim SP SF 5 Minors
    Butler, Billy DH KC 5 Minors
    Upton, Justin CF ARI 5 Minors
    Lopez, Felipe SS WAS 5 1 Year
    Pence, Hunter CF HOU 5 Minors
    Young, Delmon RF MIN 5 Minors
    Chamberlain, Joba RP NYY 5 Minors
    Hughes, Phil SP NYY 5 Minors
    Verlander, Justin SP DET 5 1 Year*
    Barfield, Josh 2B CLE 5 1 Year*
    Hudson, Tim SP ATL 5 1 Year
    Garza, Matt SP TB 5 Minors
    Pierzynski, A.J. C CHW 4 1 Year
    Piazza, Mike DH OAK 4 1 Year
    Isringhausen, Jason RP STL 4 1 Year
    Baldelli, Rocco CF TB 4 1 Year
    Paulino, Ronny C PIT 3 1 Year
    Buehrle, Mark SP CHW 3 1 Year
    Martinez, Pedro SP NYM 3 1 Year
    Matsui, Hideki LF NYY 3 1 Year
    Hunter, Torii CF ANA 3 1 Year
    Weeks, Rickie 2B MIL 3 1 Year
    Phillips, Brandon 2B CIN 2 1 Year
    Delgado, Carlos 1B NYM 2 1 Year
    Bonds, Barry LF SF 2 1 Year
    Estrada, Johnny C NYM 2 1 Year
    Dempster, Ryan RP CHC 2 1 Year*
    Wickman, Bob RP ARI 2 1 Year
    Ramirez, Aramis 3B CHC 2 1 Year
    Otsuka, Akinori RP TEX 2 1 Year
    Molina, Bengie C SF 2 1 Year
    Glaus, Troy 3B TOR 2 1 Year
    Cordero, Francisco RP CIN 2 1 Year
    Beckett, Josh SP BOS 1 1 Year
    Jones, Todd RP DET 1 1 Year
    Guillen, Carlos 1B DET 1 1 Year*
    Burrell, Pat LF PHI 1 1 Year
    Kendrick, Howie 2B ANA 1 1 Year
    Thome, Jim DH CHW 1 1 Year
    Borowski, Joe RP CLE 1 1 Year
    Kent, Jeff 2B LA 1 1 Year
    Escobar, Kelvim SP ANA 1 1 Year
    Helton, Todd 1B COL 1 1 Year
    Rivera, Juan LF ANA 1 1 Year
    Fuentes, Brian RP COL 1 1 Year
    Cabrera, Orlando SS CHW 1 1 Year*
    Cuddyer, Michael RF MIN 1 1 Year
    Peralta, Jhonny SS CLE 1 1 Year
    Kearns, Austin RF WAS 1 1 Year
    Sheffield, Gary DH DET 1 1 Year
    Willingham, Josh LF FLA 1 1 Year

Thanks again for the info Big E.

One thing I am not clear on (I'm not stupid I swear) - I have done 3-4 mlb auctions before, but I never had a league where the FA's and waiver players cost $. Aside from the $260 salary cap for the auction, do we have a set dollar amount to work with on FA/waiver pickups? Where does the money for fa/waiver pickups come from?
    It's not that they cost money...it's what their salary is set at.

So above, I am pretty sure Fausto Carmona was a FA pickup. So his salary is set at $10. If he is being kept, he can be renewed at $10, or kept at $18, $22, $26 (for a 2, 3, or 4 year deal).

There's no limit to how many FA's you can pick up. So if you have a $1 player from the auction, and drop him to pick up another player, your payroll went from $260 to $269. Your payroll can go as high as you want, but the more $1 players you drop in favor of $10 FA's, the less potential keepers you probably have, unless its a Papelbon-type player who comes out of nowhere to light up the league.

I know some other leagues use a FAAB (Free Agent Acquisition Budget). One league I'm in has a $100 FAAB per person. We don't do that.

Thread Information