+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Re: Auction League Questions

Quote Originally Posted by ruthianblast
    If a player was bid on for $1 and is signed to a long term contract (4 years) the salary is $5 for 4 years or is it $9 for 4 years or what?
    14.6. If a player is signed to a long-term contract, his salary will be raised by $4 for each year of the long-term contract. For example, if a player’s salary is $9 and a team wishes to sign him to a three-year contract, his annual salary is increased by $12 to $21 for the next three years.

So a $1 player signed to a 4-year deal would be paid $17 a year for 4 years. (4 year/$68 contract)

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E
    14.6. If a player is signed to a long-term contract, his salary will be raised by $4 for each year of the long-term contract. For example, if a player’s salary is $9 and a team wishes to sign him to a three-year contract, his annual salary is increased by $12 to $21 for the next three years.

So a $1 player signed to a 4-year deal would be paid $17 a year for 4 years. (4 year/$68 contract)
    That's kind of a big jump isn't it? Wouldn't it be better and more condusive to keeping players if the actual $ amount of the salary increased by 4 (or actually even more) every year of the contract? So to keep a player signed as a FA @ $10, that player is signed for 3 years, the first year at a $4 raise to $14, the second year at $18 (or even up to $19), then the third year at $22 (or even $24). This less punitive and allows teams to not be punished for drafting prospects and signing them to a long term deal.

Basically it makes high upside rookies and previously injured players more worth the risk, because the value for that player is greater than the current price being paid which can also increase trade value when the contracts are coming up. Imo this system is leans towards forcing managers to research and develop a team.

Call it more of a backloaded contract keeper league, but it can also help if a team signs a rookie for 2 years, it's not as bad if that rookie doesn't improve.

I would also like to propose an option year at the end of contracts but a punitive option, like add half of the players current salary at the end of the contract.
    NYYFans FBBL: Babe's Blasts

RIP Pete Cheng; the commish will be missed.

Yes, it's a big jump, but it also ensures that players are not tied up long term, either. In the other league, you can only keep a player 3 times. So here, a $1 player would become a $13 player, for example.

NYYF Triple Crown

Bump!

14.3. After two seasons (a season is defined as any part of a major league season) of a player being owned by any rotisserie team without having been released to the free agent pool, the player must be signed to a long-term contract, given his option contract, or released.
    I was just reading this over, does that mean that we get each player for 2 years before signing them to a contract or invoking the option year? If so that would be swell. Or is it when a team drafts a player 2 years in a row, they can't just keep throwing back into the auction and hoping to get a better price, but have to sign the player to a contract?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ruthianblast
    Bump!

I was just reading this over, does that mean that we get each player for 2 years before signing them to a contract or invoking the option year? If so that would be swell. Or is it when a team drafts a player 2 years in a row, they can't just keep throwing back into the auction and hoping to get a better price, but have to sign the player to a contract?
    Its a typo. After year one, you either have to pick up the option year, sign to a long term deal, or release.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Quick questoin - -

how many players are we allowed to protect?

Quote Originally Posted by chanman7483
    Quick questoin - -

how many players are we allowed to protect?
    I believe a minimum of 7, and a maximum of 12.

NYYF Triple Crown

So are trades officially over? Basically other than FA pickups our lineups are set for the rest of the year right?

The sportsline rules say 8/29/05 is the trade deadline.

NYYF Triple Crown

The sportsline rules say 8/29/05 is the trade deadline.
    I saw that but I thought that the leagues rules stated that the deadline ended in line with the mlb deadline.

NYYF Triple Crown

Alright so it has been decided that all FA's that were picked up are $10 or their draft salary whichever is higher right, just want to make sure, Giambi's being kept either way but it helps when I look at contract lengths and stuff.

NYYF Legend

Can we sticky this thread or at least sticky a copy of the constitution (1st page)?

Thanks.
    Auction League: Bitches Brew - 2006, 2007, 2008 Champs
    NYYFans.com League: Bad Apples - 2008 Champs

NYYF Legend

So I dropped Escobar who was a one year option.

Next year's auction, my purse is at $259, correct?

Just wondering as I saw guys like Giles ($14) and Pierre ($25) being dropped and I assume that's the same deal for next year, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by yanksphan
    So I dropped Escobar who was a one year option.

Next year's auction, my purse is at $259, correct?

Just wondering as I saw guys like Giles ($14) and Pierre ($25) being dropped and I assume that's the same deal for next year, correct?
    No, that only goes for multi-year contracts. If I were to drop Willis or Cordero, I'd be penalized. But not someone who was renewed.

NYYF Legend

No, that only goes for multi-year contracts. If I were to drop Willis or Cordero, I'd be penalized. But not someone who was renewed.
    Which is fine by me. But the Constitution doesn't differentiate...just says "contract" - and the option is referred to as a "contract".

14.5. If a player is given his option contract, his salary remains the same for one season. After that season is complete, the player must be released and made available for the next major league auction.

14.7. If a player is released before the end of his contract, the team releasing that player will be penalized as follows: The team's salary cap will be decreased by $1 for each year in the total number of years in the contract. For example, if a player is signed to a 4-year contract and is released during his second season, the team waiving the player will have $3 removed from his allotted salary cap in the next season, leaving that team with only $257 instead of the usual $260.

We should change 14.7 to say "If a player is released before the end of his long term contract..."

Which is fine by me. But the Constitution doesn't differentiate...just says "contract" - and the option is referred to as a "contract".

14.5. If a player is given his option contract, his salary remains the same for one season. After that season is complete, the player must be released and made available for the next major league auction.

14.7. If a player is released before the end of his contract, the team releasing that player will be penalized as follows: The team's salary cap will be decreased by $1 for each year in the total number of years in the contract. For example, if a player is signed to a 4-year contract and is released during his second season, the team waiving the player will have $3 removed from his allotted salary cap in the next season, leaving that team with only $257 instead of the usual $260.

We should change 14.7 to say "If a player is released before the end of his long term contract..."
    Yes, it should say "long term". Technically, anyone you get in the auction is under a one-year contract...so if there's no penalty for releasing someone taken in this year's auction, there would be none for someone who is renewed.

NYYF Legend

When a minor league player is called up for an injury - we don't have to call them up unless the injured player comes back and the minor leaguer stays in the big leagues.

So what about Jered Weaver? He was up for injury replacement last time - but this time he's replacing a DFA'd player. Is he subject to the 7 day rule?

When a minor league player is called up for an injury - we don't have to call them up unless the injured player comes back and the minor leaguer stays in the big leagues.

So what about Jered Weaver? He was up for injury replacement last time - but this time he's replacing a DFA'd player. Is he subject to the 7 day rule?
    Actually, he's replacing a player who was traded, since Jeff Weaver was traded before he had to report to the minors. But that's a technicality. Either way, yes, he is subject to the 7-day rule.

We've been extremely lax this season, so I don't want to all of a sudden be a hardass about 7 days...but if it stretches out to 14 days or more, then yeah, I think we need to start cracking down. The two people I released were extreme examples -- one on the active roster all season, one who has been off the DL for two months.

I'd rather people do the right thing (even a little late) than have to start forcing moves.

Jered Weaver has been activated.

yeah I got a question.

How can a f*cking team that includes Ortiz, Giambi, Wright, Abreu, Edmonds, and Floyd be at the bottom in home runs.

Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF Legend

Did I lose a bunch of points for having an illegal roster?

I picked up Manny Parra in hopes to add him to my minor league roster. When I grabbed him, he was already in the ML, so I dropped him immediately.

I just noticed he was still listed on my team today and I've lost 14 pts in 3 days...what gives??

There's no record of you dropping him until today, so yes, you had an illegal roster for a few days.

The one downside to Sportsline is that if you have no room for a player on your roster, it will put him in the reserve roster, even though we have no reserves. Presto, illegal roster!

I didn't notice anyone having an illegal roster (honestly, I don't check for that every day) and illegal rosters do score zero points until they are fixed.

if there's any way you can show me you tried to drop him immediately, I can make the necessary adjustments. Otherwise I have to go by what I see at Sportsline.

NYYF Legend

There's no record of you dropping him until today, so yes, you had an illegal roster for a few days.

The one downside to Sportsline is that if you have no room for a player on your roster, it will put him in the reserve roster, even though we have no reserves. Presto, illegal roster!

I didn't notice anyone having an illegal roster (honestly, I don't check for that every day) and illegal rosters do score zero points until they are fixed.

if there's any way you can show me you tried to drop him immediately, I can make the necessary adjustments. Otherwise I have to go by what I see at Sportsline.
    To be honest - I read your post in the 'Hype Your Minor Leaguers' thread in the other league about Parra. So I picked him up (dropped Adam Jones, who I JUST picked up the day before). I immediately went to my roster and tried to put him in the minors, but the option wasn't available in the drop down menu.

I was going to ask for eligibility, but then read he had been called up. So I went to the add/drop page and dropped him for nobody in return. I intended to pick up Jones again, but he's on waivers now of course.

I don't know how I can prove this except that I've been very active this year, and it wasn't until I noticed how quickly I was falling in the standings that I thought something was wrong.

I had some bad pitching these past couple days, but -14 is a bit excessive!

If nobody objects, I can undo the move...

NYYF Legend

If nobody objects, I can undo the move...
    Thanks. Hopefully everyone understands.

Thread Information