+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast
    Smashed 5 cellphones due to... Espinosa's Glasses's Avatar

Re: Auction League Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi
    It's a bid on players, hence the "auction" part.

I'm unsure of exactly how the draft goes in some aspects, though. Who calls out the players? Random owners? Does it go around so that each owner takes a turn calling out a player? What's the deal with that?
    right thats what I thought

but... those other questions that you asked.... they are the ones that I need answers to

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Maybe we could do it, that whoever wins the player calls out the next name? So if I win Pujols, I can put A-Rod up for bid, for example. That would keep some order in the process...

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E
    Maybe we could do it, that whoever wins the player calls out the next name? So if I win Pujols, I can put A-Rod up for bid, for example. That would keep some order in the process...
    The way that we'll do it is a randomly order that is pre-selected prior to the auction. We can even make it the order that everyone is on the signup list. The order doesn't really matter, as its an auction and anyone has access to any player. It won't be snake-style, either, it will just be on a continuous loop.

One thing, though: You cannot pass on your turn to throw someone out.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch
    The order doesn't really matter, as its an auction and anyone has access to any player.

One thing, though: You cannot pass on your turn to throw someone out.
    I would imagine there's some strategy involved with the order, though. For instance, if you were the first one to throw out a player, you could throw out a top player that you don't really want in order to put someone into a $30-$35 hole early, etc, so that they can't bid on the player you REALLY want that would come up later.

The second part shouldn't be a problem. It's not like you're picking them, and I'm sure that everyone can think of a player to randomly throw out, even if they don't want him.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

I would imagine there's some strategy involved with the order, though. For instance, if you were the first one to throw out a player, you could throw out a top player that you don't really want in order to put someone into a $30-$35 hole early, etc, so that they can't bid on the player you REALLY want that would come up later.

The second part shouldn't be a problem. It's not like you're picking them, and I'm sure that everyone can think of a player to randomly throw out, even if they don't want him.
    Ahhhh...now we're getting into the meat and potatos of the auction.

The order has VERY minimal bearing on things, however, you've hit on one of the big auction strategies that people use: Throw out players that you DON'T want so as to get you fellow owners to use up their money, and save the guys that you want for later...

...but then there's a flip side to that: Throw out guys that you DO want early so as to try and get them on the cheap while the rest of the league says "I don't want HIM that bad, I'd rather have player X later. There's so many guys out there, I'll wait until later", only to see player X invloved in a bidding war later and have his price driven up.

As far as inital bids on players goes, its at the person who throws out the player's name's discretion.

However, there is sort of an unwritten rule to not waste time and be a jackass by calling out "ARod...$1".

ARod is obviously not going for a buck.

A more appropriate bid would be $25 or $30. He's obviously not going for either of those figures, but its a much more efficient starting point than $1.

ARod is obviously not going for a buck.

A more appropriate bid would be $25 or $30. He's obviously not going for either of those figures, but its a much more efficient starting point than $1.
    Yeah-I'd say a more reasonable figure for him would be about 256 million. Oh, you're talking about the Auction League.

Then again, even if someone called out A-rod for a buck, the next guy could just do what you said and bounce it up for "A-rod for 25," or something-you don't have to bid at simply $1 intervals, from what I read, just "At least $1." I assume there are no half dollar intervals, correct? You couldn't raise a $7 bid to $10.50 or something? Or $14.21.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

Yeah-I'd say a more reasonable figure for him would be about 256 million. Oh, you're talking about the Auction League.

Then again, even if someone called out A-rod for a buck, the next guy could just do what you said and bounce it up for "A-rod for 25," or something-you don't have to bid at simply $1 intervals, from what I read, just "At least $1." I assume there are no half dollar intervals, correct? You couldn't raise a $7 bid to $10.50 or something? Or $14.21.
    Exactly: no cents. Just round dollar figures.

The next guy could bid up to $25, but its still a waste. Certain guys do deserve a $1 starting price- in fact a large majority do. But the guys that are going to end up over $20 or so FOR SURE, certainly do not.

minor leaguers too? man this is so gonna hurt my productivity at work

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by OneilFan21
    minor leaguers too? man this is so gonna hurt my productivity at work
    Can you make the 7th as the auction date? If so, vote in the poll.

i cold have sworn i voted for the 7th alreayd. ah well, what I mant was I am gonna be doing major reserach over the next couple of weeks. hoepfully I dont get fired by then lol

Have we decided on what we are going to do with the money? Prizes perhaps? sorry i forget what was decided.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee
    Have we decided on what we are going to do with the money? Prizes perhaps? sorry i forget what was decided.
    Donation to the site.

Perhaps in future years when we have established a foundation, people will be willing to contribute more, and we will have some sort of prize set up, but for now, I say we just focus on establishing the league and making sure everything is smooth.

i got no prob with that. i was just curious
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

NYYF HOF

Snatch,

If this has already been asked, I do apologize...

I was wondering if there was going to be a moderator for the auction or an actual auction order. I have read the constitution, but I may have missed this info.
    "A Humble Man of Grace and Dignity. A Captain Who Led by Example. Proud of the Pinstripes Tradition and Dedicated to the Pursuit of Excellence. A Yankee Forever." - Don Mattingly's Plaque in Monument Park

Quote Originally Posted by boo_427
    Snatch,

I was wondering if there was going to be a moderator for the auction or an actual auction order. I have read the constitution, but I may have missed this info.
    no parents, no party.
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF Legend

Snatch,

As commish, I'll be the mod. I think Soriambi and Big_E will be helping me in keeping track of all the rosters and values spent.

We will take turns throwing out players in a circular order, which doesn't really matter. We can just go from bottom to top, or top to bottom on the signup list.

Oh, and you CANNOT skip your turn to throw someone out.

The order for the auction would go like this (In a hypothetical 4 team league):

Team 1, Team 2, Team 3, Team 4, Team 1, Team 2, Team 3, Team 4, Team 1, Team 2, Team 3, Team 4, Team 1...

NYYF HOF

As commish, I'll be the mod. I think Soriambi and Big_E will be helping me in keeping track of all the rosters and values spent.

We will take turns throwing out players in a circular order, which doesn't really matter. We can just go from bottom to top, or top to bottom on the signup list.

Oh, and you CANNOT skip your turn to throw someone out.

The order for the auction would go like this (In a hypothetical 4 team league):

Team 1, Team 2, Team 3, Team 4, Team 1, Team 2, Team 3, Team 4, Team 1, Team 2, Team 3, Team 4, Team 1...
    Okay, I was wondering that. I have done it where it goes (using your analogy) T1, T2, T3, T4....T4, T3, T2, T1. Not sure if I have a preference, but both do have advantages. Although, in an auction, it is a totally different beast.

Would it be possible to have running list of players that have been taken over here in the forum?

Meaning, (I know it is our responsiblity) but I draft Tino and it is posted in the forum that Tino is off the board. Just as a cross-reference. Any other suggestions bettering this idea are greatly appreciated.
    "A Humble Man of Grace and Dignity. A Captain Who Led by Example. Proud of the Pinstripes Tradition and Dedicated to the Pursuit of Excellence. A Yankee Forever." - Don Mattingly's Plaque in Monument Park

NYYF Legend

Okay, I was wondering that. I have done it where it goes (using your analogy) T1, T2, T3, T4....T4, T3, T2, T1. Not sure if I have a preference, but both do have advantages. Although, in an auction, it is a totally different beast.
    The reason the snake style is used in drafts is because it seeks to make it more fair to the person who has the last pick in the draft.

That isn't needed in an auction, as you're not picking anyone, but merely nominating a player for bidding.

Would it be possible to have running list of players that have been taken over here in the forum?

Meaning, (I know it is our responsiblity) but I draft Tino and it is posted in the forum that Tino is off the board. Just as a cross-reference. Any other suggestions bettering this idea are greatly appreciated.
    I think the running list would be a great idea, but there's a slight hitch...

It would take a lot of time and effort to do so, and an auction moves at a pretty brisk pace. Its not like a draft where you can make your pick and then kind of "tune out" until you're up again. In an auction you are constantly in the mix for the length of the proceedings.

Because of this, no one will really have the time to compile a list on the side AND update it on the site. I would recommend getting some cheat sheets out of fantasy mags and just cross names off as they come up. Also, I would recommend that everyone trys to keep track of what each player is going for, regardless of whether or not you win him. That way, if Big_E, Soriambi or myself misses something, we can always have backup later.

NYYF HOF

I wonder if it is possible for MHHL in the chat forum to setup a side panel, where anyone who is purchased can placed.

Believe me, I intend on the scratch and cross method, but having run a live football draft for 5 years, I know that keeping up isn't the easiest thing to do, and that is with everyone in the same room at the same time.

For example, there are 16 teams? with roughly 25 players per roster that is 400 players. It will almost impossible for everyone to keep track using the scratch and cross method.

I understand with the amount of teams, it will be difficult for a repeat, but when I am trying to buy for example David DeJesus in the 19th round and he was bought already in 15th, and I somehow missed it. There could be confusion.

I was just trying to figure out a way to keep a live running tally that everyone can view. Any other suggestions?

NYYF Legend

I understand with the amount of teams, it will be difficult for a repeat, but when I am trying to buy for example David DeJesus in the 19th round and he was bought already in 15th, and I somehow missed it. There could be confusion.
    Someone will just type- "He's already sold" or something...

Oh, and as of right now there are 13 teams that paid by the Sunday deadline. We can now plan our dollar values for players accordingly.

I would love it if there were an easier way to keep track of everything. I'm going to have an excel spreadsheet open that will keep track of salaries as well as the amount that each team has left. I will post the amounts each team has every 10 rounds or so.

okay, after going through the rules the only question i have is if I release a guy I paid $1 for, how am I suppose to afford a FA? Do I get credited $10 or what I won the player for?

edit
    wait, I think I asked this question already.....

I did. N/m...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23
    okay, after going through the rules the only question i have is if I release a guy I paid $1 for, how am I suppose to afford a FA? Do I get credited $10 or what I won the player for?

edit
    wait, I think I asked this question already.....

I did. N/m...
    I was reading this thinking "Oh my goodness, how much weed has Steve smoked in his lifetime?"

I'm so glad you realized it before the end of your post!

Not really...he had to go back and edit it.

I was reading this thinking "Oh my goodness, how much weed has Steve smoked in his lifetime?"

well it's also early and I'm hungover....

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23
    well it's also early and I'm hungover....
    It's 11:00! That ain't early ya lazy bastich!

Thread Information