+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Is Delgado next for the Mets?

I think he's next on their radar screen. They can probably afford to bloat their payroll further, and they do need another big bat. All indications are that (after all is said and done) the Mets will go down as the official gluttons of the off season...and who can blame them?

Re: Is Delgado next for the Mets?

If the Mets get Delgado, I'll be afraid. It seems as if things are falling into place for this franchise.
    "I'd like to thank the Good Lord for making me a Yankee."

Quote Originally Posted by bleachersown
    If the Mets get Delgado, I'll be afraid. It seems as if things are falling into place for this franchise.
    What's there to be afraid of? They're in the NL, so we don't have to worry about them other than six times a year when we play them. (And in a potential World Series if both teams get that far.)
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

I can't imagine the Mets are willing to spend that much.

NYYF Legend

Forest Lawn Memorial Park - Plot: Court of Freedom Block 7060 Lot 6-A

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk
    I you take into consideration the new cable deal they are working on, plus the fact that if they field a competitive team they can draw close to 3 million at Shea, then Id say they can afford it.
    3 4 5 7 8 10 16 37

NYYF Legend

They look at their cross town rivals and they see a 200M payroll..but they also see a team that generates a ton of income, not only because of their success on the field, but because they also create buzz off the field by going after big names. The Mets tried the conservative approach and it didn't work. They got burnt with Mo Vaughn and Robbie Alomar, but that's the chance you take with big signings. Just sitting back and letting the Yankees create all the buzz, and steal all the headlines, especially when they are trying to create their own version of YES..is suicide.

NYYF Legend

Seems to me they're trying to buy a championship like their fans are always accusing us.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey37
    I you take into consideration the new cable deal they are working on, plus the fact that if they field a competitive team they can draw close to 3 million at Shea, then I’d say they can afford it.
    That's not the point. They've been able to afford a much higher payroll than they've had for years. Throwing that much money around hasn't been their style, and I think they'll be happy with what they've done.

Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey
    Just sitting back and letting the Yankees create all the buzz, and steal all the headlines, especially when they are trying to create their own version of YES..is suicide.
    They've more than stolen the buzz from the yanks this winter. If that's their goal, they've met it already. By far.

They've more than stolen the buzz from the yanks this winter. If that's their goal, they've met it already. By far.
    Please, they didn't steal any buzz by signing players the Yankees didn't even bother to bid on.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962
    Please, they didn't steal any buzz by signing players the Yankees didn't even bother to bid on.
    Take off the pinstriped glasses. The RJ deal is very big. Pedro and Beltran is bigger. The off-season buzz right now is around the Mets, not the yanks.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey
    They look at their cross town rivals and they see a 200M payroll..but they also see a team that generates a ton of income, not only because of their success on the field, but because they also create buzz off the field by going after big names.
    The Mets are and always will be the JV team in New York. I was born in 1980 and my first baseball memory is the 1986 Mets winning the World Series. By all purposes I should be a Mets fan because the Yankees stunk in the 80's. But I became a Yankee fan because they were the elder, more well-known team. The Mets have a huge inferiority complex and it is showing in this offseason.

Take off the pinstriped glasses. The RJ deal is very big. Pedro and Beltran is bigger. The off-season buzz right now is around the Mets, not the yanks.
    The only reason they're Mets because the Yankees surmised that they don't either player to win the WS.

The only reason they're Mets because the Yankees surmised that they don't either player to win the WS.
    So? Who cares what the yanks think or don't think. I didn't say the Mets were smart in making those signings. (Although in case you haven't noticed, it's been awhile since players the yanks decided they wanted have actually helped win a WS). They're high profile players, and their signings produced more buzz than what the yanks have done.

Johnson's signing alone had more headlines than Martinez and Beltran combined.

Johnson's signing alone had more headlines than Martinez and Beltran combined.
    Don't advertise your ignorance.

Released Outright

yeah, everyone's laughing.

thank god the mets are around to save us from horrible contracts.

and delgado would complete the triumvirate

Quote Originally Posted by 38Special
    yeah, everyone's laughing.

thank god the mets are around to save us from horrible contracts.
    Uhhh, I think that laughter you're hearing is for the Wright signing. The Mets may indeed have overpaid in their 3 big signings (Benson plus the FA's), but by far the worst contract signed by a ny baseball team is the yanks' doing.

And you might want to get an idea of what buzz is if you're going to comment about it.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Adding Pedro and Beltran is by far, by far more impressive than what the Yanks did. Mets got those players for cash and no players, we had to trade our young pitcher and two prospects to get a 41 year old pitcher and then signed two question marks in Pavano and Wright.
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by GoRocket
    Adding Pedro and Beltran is by far, by far more impressive than what the Yanks did. Mets got those players for cash and no players, we had to trade our young pitcher and two prospects to get a 41 year old pitcher and then signed two question marks in Pavano and Wright.
    You're on a roll today. Better watch out or you're gonna get in trouble for making too much sense.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

You're on a roll today. Better watch out or you're gonna get in trouble for making too much sense.
    People can say what they want about overbidding for the players, at least with the Mets they only overbid with cash and not prospects/players.
    Life is good!

Mets payroll is still only 105 mil without Delgado, and the most we have to pay someone to take garbage off our hands is the 900K we gave the Yankees for Stanton.

Mets players making more than 10 mil:
    Beltran (17 a year)
    Piazza (15, gone after '05)
    Pedro (13.25 a year)
    Glavine (10.5 a year, gone after '06)

Mets left side of the infield is making 600K combined next season while the Yankees left side is making 43 mil.

Released Outright

Uhhh, I think that laughter you're hearing is for the Wright signing. The Mets may indeed have overpaid in their 3 big signings (Benson plus the FA's), but by far the worst contract signed by a ny baseball team is the yanks' doing.
    a 3 year deal with injury insurance over a 7 year deal for twice as much money and then a 4 year deal for a 32 year old pitcher with a shoulder held together with tape.

im confused.

Quote Originally Posted by 38Special
    im confused.
    Ok, you're confused.

NYYF Legend

Let's not kid ourselves. Everyone was handing Beltran on a silver platter to the Yankees before this went down. He was the top FA on the market, and in a position of need for the Yankees. Whether or not it works out for the Mets, it certainly was a bold move, and you'll see in the next several days how much buzz this generates. The buzz is not just about the player. It's about a player that was supposed to be the Yankee's big fish in the FA market. The Yanks look like they got a bit too seasick to go fishing, and the lowly Mets reel him in. It's a big thing no matter how you slice it.

Thread Information