+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 119

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    NYYF Legend

    JfromJersey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Old Bridge, NJ

    Is Delgado next for the Mets?

    I think he's next on their radar screen. They can probably afford to bloat their payroll further, and they do need another big bat. All indications are that (after all is said and done) the Mets will go down as the official gluttons of the off season...and who can blame them?

  2. #2
    Glory Days bleachersown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Manhattan via North Jersey

    Re: Is Delgado next for the Mets?

    If the Mets get Delgado, I'll be afraid. It seems as if things are falling into place for this franchise.
    "I'd like to thank the Good Lord for making me a Yankee."

  3. #3
    My photograph. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: Is Delgado next for the Mets?

    Quote Originally Posted by bleachersown
    If the Mets get Delgado, I'll be afraid. It seems as if things are falling into place for this franchise.
    What's there to be afraid of? They're in the NL, so we don't have to worry about them other than six times a year when we play them. (And in a potential World Series if both teams get that far.)
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    RIP, Pete.

  4. #4

    Re: Is Delgado next for the Mets?

    I can't imagine the Mets are willing to spend that much.

  5. #5
    NYYF Legend

    Casey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Forest Lawn Memorial Park - Plot: Court of Freedom Block 7060 Lot 6-A

    Re: Is Delgado next for the Mets?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk
    I can't imagine the Mets are willing to spend that much.
    I you take into consideration the new cable deal they are working on, plus the fact that if they field a competitive team they can draw close to 3 million at Shea, then I’d say they can afford it.
    3 4 5 7 8 10 16 37

  6. #6

    Re: Is Delgado next for the Mets?

    Quote Originally Posted by Casey37
    I you take into consideration the new cable deal they are working on, plus the fact that if they field a competitive team they can draw close to 3 million at Shea, then I’d say they can afford it.
    That's not the point. They've been able to afford a much higher payroll than they've had for years. Throwing that much money around hasn't been their style, and I think they'll be happy with what they've done.

  7. #7
    NYYF Legend

    JfromJersey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Old Bridge, NJ

    Re: Is Delgado next for the Mets?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk
    I can't imagine the Mets are willing to spend that much.
    They look at their cross town rivals and they see a 200M payroll..but they also see a team that generates a ton of income, not only because of their success on the field, but because they also create buzz off the field by going after big names. The Mets tried the conservative approach and it didn't work. They got burnt with Mo Vaughn and Robbie Alomar, but that's the chance you take with big signings. Just sitting back and letting the Yankees create all the buzz, and steal all the headlines, especially when they are trying to create their own version of YES..is suicide.

  8. #8
    NYYF Legend

    NJ Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ

    Re: Is Delgado next for the Mets?

    Seems to me they're trying to buy a championship like their fans are always accusing us.

  9. #9

    Re: Is Delgado next for the Mets?

    Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey
    Just sitting back and letting the Yankees create all the buzz, and steal all the headlines, especially when they are trying to create their own version of YES..is suicide.
    They've more than stolen the buzz from the yanks this winter. If that's their goal, they've met it already. By far.

  10. #10
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: Is Delgado next for the Mets?

    Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey
    They look at their cross town rivals and they see a 200M payroll..but they also see a team that generates a ton of income, not only because of their success on the field, but because they also create buzz off the field by going after big names.
    The Mets are and always will be the JV team in New York. I was born in 1980 and my first baseball memory is the 1986 Mets winning the World Series. By all purposes I should be a Mets fan because the Yankees stunk in the 80's. But I became a Yankee fan because they were the elder, more well-known team. The Mets have a huge inferiority complex and it is showing in this offseason.

  11. #11
    NYYF Cy Young

    ColombiaYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sunrise , Florida

    Re: Is Delgado next for the Mets?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk
    I can't imagine the Mets are willing to spend that much.

    Not so fast:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/10/sp...tml?oref=login

    Yesterday, Carlos Beltran called Carlos Delgado, the free-agent first baseman the Mets are still interested in. Beltran is a friend of Delgado's and a fellow Puerto Rican. The Mets need a first baseman and have continued their conversations with David Sloane, Delgado's agent.
    David

    I know what kind of pitcher Whitey was and kind of person he is. It makes me feel proud to be a Yankee. We're keeping this in the family. (On breaking Whitey's PS consecutive scoreless innings)

  12. #12

    Re: Is Delgado next for the Mets?

    Quote Originally Posted by COLOMBIAYANKSFAN
    Not so fast:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/10/sp...tml?oref=login

    Yesterday, Carlos Beltran called Carlos Delgado, the free-agent first baseman the Mets are still interested in. Beltran is a friend of Delgado's and a fellow Puerto Rican. The Mets need a first baseman and have continued their conversations with David Sloane, Delgado's agent.
    Interesting. I'm still skeptical, but we shall see.

  13. #13
    NYYF Cy Young

    TheScooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New York,NY

    Re: Is Delgado next for the Mets?

    Delgado might not be looking to switch leagues.The Orioles are going to make a big pitch for him.Delgado will hit 50 HR's in Camden.The Rangers could become players if they move Soriano to Houston.Texas would have the Soriano money to offer Delgado.The Rangers have been offering $9-10 million per for Delgado but shedding Soriano allows them to increase their offer

  14. #14
    NYYF Legend

    b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: Is Delgado next for the Mets?

    Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey
    I think he's next on their radar screen. They can probably afford to bloat their payroll further, and they do need another big bat. All indications are that (after all is said and done) the Mets will go down as the official gluttons of the off season...and who can blame them?
    If I were them, I'd be less concerned about adding another big bat and more concerned about adding some bullpen help and maybe a defensive catcher...I don't see them spending that much on Delgado after Pedro and Beltran, new cable channel or not...
    "Happiness is...a thumb and a blanket."

  15. #15
    NYYF Cy Young

    whalers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Right Down The Middle

    Re: Is Delgado next for the Mets?

    Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick
    If I were them, I'd be less concerned about adding another big bat and more concerned about adding some bullpen help and maybe a defensive catcher...I don't see them spending that much on Delgado after Pedro and Beltran, new cable channel or not...
    If they add delgado their lineup will be fierce. However they still need to figure out how they are going to get from the 6th inning to the 9th. Felix isnt going to help at all. he probably brings the bullpen a step back. If omar had half a brain he would be looking for a latino reliever to bring in instead of an overpriced delgado and the walking K machine that is sammy sosa. Mark my words if they do not get bullpen help these free agent signings will be all for not.
    Get 27!

  16. #16
    NYYF Legend

    yanksphan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    nühamshä

    Re: Is Delgado next for the Mets?

    Un-F-ing-believable......

    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...uenum=&id=5178

    According to Newsday, the Mets will offer Carlos Delgado a four-year deal worth about $45 million in their meeting today.

    If true, it'd almost surely be the best proposal on the table. The Marlins are at $35 million over three years, but that includes deferred money. The Rangers are capping their bid at $10 million per season, another source told Newsday. And the thrifty Orioles don't seem willing to go higher than $25 million over three years, basically making this a three-team race.
    Auction League: Bitches Brew - 2006, 2007, 2008 Champs
    NYYFans.com League: Bad Apples - 2008 Champs

  17. #17
    Won't scruple to squash Prickly Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004

    Re: Is Delgado next for the Mets?

    Quote Originally Posted by yanksphan
    That's what Troy Glaus got, and less than Sexson, I think. Delgado's much better than either of them.

  18. #18
    NYYF Legend

    SoCal Pinstriper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles

    Re: Is Delgado next for the Mets?

    Quote Originally Posted by Prickly Pete
    That's what Troy Glaus got, and less than Sexson, I think. Delgado's much better than either of them.
    If his knee is OK.



  19. #19
    Won't scruple to squash Prickly Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004

    Re: Is Delgado next for the Mets?

    Quote Originally Posted by Socal Pinstriper
    If his knee is OK.
    I would think the injury concerns around Glaus would be much bigger. Delgado was a monster (OPS over 1.000) in the second half last year.

  20. #20
    NYYF Legend

    SoCal Pinstriper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles

    Re: Is Delgado next for the Mets?

    Quote Originally Posted by Prickly Pete
    I would think the injury concerns around Glaus would be much bigger. Delgado was a monster (OPS over 1.000) in the second half last year.
    Glaus is 28, and had corrective shoulder surgery.

    His ops was over 1.000 in April, over 1.200, in May while playing hurt, and over 1.500 in the Angel's short post season after rehab from surgery (a small sample, but still impressive).

    I'm on the side of youth here.

    Delgado will be 33 in June. I don't think that I'm on too big a limb saying that in the final year of their deals, I, personally would rather have Glaus at 32 (probably at first by then) than a 37 year old Delgado in a league without a DH.



  21. #21

    Re: Is Delgado next for the Mets?

    who cares who wins the off-season? u dont get props or credit for newspaper headlines. u have to win games.

    i don't get the excitement over the mets. they added a guy who is in decline and wasn't all that great last year, and they added Beltran. ok a good player, who signed with them for more money then he would have taken from the yankees.

    beltran alone isn't going to move them from 70 wins to 90 wins. 2 years ago piazza was so horrible at catcher they moved him to 1b. so now 2 years later he's going to be okay to be a catcher again fulltime? how can that work out? reyes is over-rated even when hes healthy which isn't much. there bullpen was horrible and they added felix heredia. felix heredia! uh ok. matsui was horrible. floyd was horrible and in decline. cameron strikes out and sucked defensively. hit .230 and more garbage time homers than i ever saw before.

    they got nothing.

    i say the mets lose 85 games and are baseball biggest disappointments next year. mark it donnie! (big lebowski). there will be some nice headlines for them this summer. "MINAYA ON HOT SEAT AS METS STILL SUCK"

    p.s. and someone feed piazzas girlfriend a sandwich or something. u see her picture in newsday? http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...orts-headlines

  22. #22

    Re: Is Delgado next for the Mets?

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP
    who cares who wins the off-season? u dont get props or credit for newspaper headlines. u have to win games.

    i don't get the excitement over the mets. they added a guy who is in decline and wasn't all that great last year, and they added Beltran. ok a good player, who signed with them for more money then he would have taken from the yankees.

    beltran alone isn't going to move them from 70 wins to 90 wins. 2 years ago piazza was so horrible at catcher they moved him to 1b. so now 2 years later he's going to be okay to be a catcher again fulltime? how can that work out? reyes is over-rated even when hes healthy which isn't much. there bullpen was horrible and they added felix heredia. felix heredia! uh ok. matsui was horrible. floyd was horrible and in decline. cameron strikes out and sucked defensively. hit .230 and more garbage time homers than i ever saw before.

    they got nothing.

    i say the mets lose 85 games and are baseball biggest disappointments next year. mark it donnie! (big lebowski). there will be some nice headlines for them this summer. "MINAYA ON HOT SEAT AS METS STILL SUCK"

    p.s. and someone feed piazzas girlfriend a sandwich or something. u see her picture in newsday? http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...orts-headlines

    LOL , thanks for starting my day with a laugh- can't get enough of those Coen brothers references (THey've turned him itno a HORNY TOAD- gotta luv that delmar)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

  23. #23
    NYYF Legend

    yanksphan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    nühamshä

    Re: Is Delgado next for the Mets?

    Quote Originally Posted by Prickly Pete
    That's what Troy Glaus got, and less than Sexson, I think. Delgado's much better than either of them.
    Oh yeah, I agree - I was commenting more on the fact that the Mets are not done with their shopping spree.
    Auction League: Bitches Brew - 2006, 2007, 2008 Champs
    NYYFans.com League: Bad Apples - 2008 Champs

  24. #24

    Re: Is Delgado next for the Mets?

    Huge mistake for the Mets, IMO. His defense is suspect and if he stops hitting, as seems the norm when players come to the Mets, he'll be useless.

  25. #25

    ABC: Mets and Rangers out of Delgado race

    from the sports guy Marvell Scott(sp?). NBC (Bruce Beck) also just said that the Rangers dropped out. i guess he will be a Marlin

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts