+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Is Delgado next for the Mets?

Quote Originally Posted by GoRocket
    People can say what they want about overbidding for the players, at least with the Mets they only overbid with cash and not prospects/players.
    Minaya has been given a blank checkbook, and he's writing checks. But hopefully, he's not done yet, because he needs to address his bullpen in a big way. Glavine, Pedro, and Trachsel are not going to go way deep into games, and the Mets still have to figure out how to get through the 7th and 8th innings. They also have to keep their fingers crossed that Looper can have another effective year as closer.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8
    Minaya has been given a blank checkbook, and he's writing checks. But hopefully, he's not done yet, because he needs to address his bullpen in a big way. Glavine, Pedro, and Trachsel are not going to go way deep into games, and the Mets still have to figure out how to get through the 7th and 8th innings. They also have to keep their fingers crossed that Looper can have another effective year as closer.
    That, and I expect Carlos Delgado to be at first next year for the Mets. Their bullpen is very weak.
    Life is good!

Adding Pedro and Beltran is by far, by far more impressive than what the Yanks did. Mets got those players for cash and no players, we had to trade our young pitcher and two prospects to get a 41 year old pitcher and then signed two question marks in Pavano and Wright.
    don't forget the 2 year extension

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Fan
    Seems to me they're trying to buy a championship like their fans are always accusing us.
    Well, That would be wrong. They could sign Delgado, and STILL be under the luxury tax.

They are combining a few large contracts -
    Pedro
    Beltran
    Glavine (2 more years)
    Piazza (1 more year)

mixing in some moderate contracts
    Cameron
    Floyd
    Matsui

and filling in the rest cheaply.

This allows the flexibility to sign Delgado, and have more in the tank if anything else arises.

Sound like another hated rival?

NYYF Triple Crown

Having money doens't mean you spend it stupidly

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27
    Well, That would be wrong. They could sign Delgado, and STILL be under the luxury tax.

They are combining a few large contracts -
    Pedro
    Beltran
    Glavine (2 more years)
    Piazza (1 more year)

mixing in some moderate contracts
    Cameron
    Floyd
    Matsui

and filling in the rest cheaply.

This allows the flexibility to sign Delgado, and have more in the tank if anything else arises.

Sound like another hated rival?
    Yes, but in the eyes of fans of the small-market teams, the Mets will be just like the hated Yankees.

NYYF Cy Young

People can say what they want about overbidding for the players, at least with the Mets they only overbid with cash and not prospects/players.
    Scott Kazmir says hi.

That was the old regime. To be honest, if the Mets didn't trade Kazmir and end up going further downhill from there, Pedro would still be a Red Sox, and Beltran probably would have gotten the Houston deal done.

NYYF MVP

Seems to me they're trying to buy a championship like their fans are always accusing us.
    But if you're a Met fan it's not buying a championship...it's trying to be competitive.

The Yankees and only the Yankees are the ones that buy championships in their point of view...foolish idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by BombersBlvd
    Scott Kazmir says hi.
    Wholly irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

NYYF Cy Young

Delgado might not be looking to switch leagues.The Orioles are going to make a big pitch for him.Delgado will hit 50 HR's in Camden.The Rangers could become players if they move Soriano to Houston.Texas would have the Soriano money to offer Delgado.The Rangers have been offering $9-10 million per for Delgado but shedding Soriano allows them to increase their offer

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk
    Wholly irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
    Wasn't it mentioned in this discussion that the mets don't over pay with prospects?

Quote Originally Posted by BeantownYankee
    Wasn't it mentioned in this discussion that the mets don't over pay with prospects?

The discussion was specifically about the off-season moves of the yanks and mets. I certainly agree that the Kazmir trade was a bad one, quite possibly a disaster. But it's separate from what's gone on this winter.

Released Outright

Yes, but in the eyes of fans of the small-market teams, the Mets will be just like the hated Yankees.
    The Yankees have acquired the Evil Empire rep just as the Dems are still considered free spenders/weak on nat. security.

Doesn't matter how untrue it is if it's repeated often enough.

And the Yanks are still first in payroll, last in charm and first in the AL East......to a lot of folks, anyway...

NYYF Cy Young

It's also rumored that the mets are still looking into a trade involving Floyd and Sosa thereby adding to the all Latino team. If the aquire Delgado & Sosa...the lineup could look like this...

Reyes
    Beltran
    Delgado
    Sosa
    Piazza
    Wright
    Cameron
    Matsui

Not that bad....if they all play up to their potential and their k total doesn't stop too many rallies...

NYYF Legend

Forest Lawn Memorial Park - Plot: Court of Freedom Block 7060 Lot 6-A

Quote Originally Posted by BeantownYankee

Not that bad....if they all play up to their potential and their k total doesn't stop too many rallies...

I agree with you. That's a pretty decent lineup they got there, but their bullpen is still suspect.
    3 4 5 7 8 10 16 37

NYYF Cy Young

I can't imagine the Mets are willing to spend that much.

Not so fast:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/10/sp...tml?oref=login

Yesterday, Carlos Beltran called Carlos Delgado, the free-agent first baseman the Mets are still interested in. Beltran is a friend of Delgado's and a fellow Puerto Rican. The Mets need a first baseman and have continued their conversations with David Sloane, Delgado's agent.
    David

I know what kind of pitcher Whitey was and kind of person he is. It makes me feel proud to be a Yankee. We're keeping this in the family. (On breaking Whitey's PS consecutive scoreless innings)

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan
    The Mets are and always will be the JV team in New York. I was born in 1980 and my first baseball memory is the 1986 Mets winning the World Series. By all purposes I should be a Mets fan because the Yankees stunk in the 80's. But I became a Yankee fan because they were the elder, more well-known team. The Mets have a huge inferiority complex and it is showing in this offseason.
    The Yankees did not stink in the 80s. They had either the best or second best (to the Detroit Tigers) overall winning % in that decade. Their problem was not winning the division, except for 1981. The Mets owned NY after 1969 until the 76 season. For a Yankee fan, there was nothing more depressing than having to read about the Mets every day. I would hate to relive those days again.

NYYF Legend

can you imagine how much kazmir could have culled from pedro?

i still cannot believe that trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake_Gibbs
    The Yankees did not stink in the 80s. They had either the best or second best (to the Detroit Tigers) overall winning % in that decade. Their problem was not winning the division, except for 1981.
    That's quite generous to the yanks. They finished 5th 3 times and 4th another. Over the full 10 years their record wasn't that bad, but doing that poorly that often stinks.

That's quite generous to the yanks. They finished 5th 3 times and 4th another. Over the full 10 years their record wasn't that bad, but doing that poorly that often stinks.
    They were 854-708 for a 10 year % of .546. That hardly "stinks." My point was that their record was good almost every year, they just couldn't win the division. Had there been a wildcard team back then who knows what the 80s would have been like?

Quote Originally Posted by COLOMBIAYANKSFAN
    Not so fast:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/10/sp...tml?oref=login

Yesterday, Carlos Beltran called Carlos Delgado, the free-agent first baseman the Mets are still interested in. Beltran is a friend of Delgado's and a fellow Puerto Rican. The Mets need a first baseman and have continued their conversations with David Sloane, Delgado's agent.
    Interesting. I'm still skeptical, but we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake_Gibbs
    My point was that their record was good almost every year, they just couldn't win the division. Had there been a wildcard team back then who knows what the 80s would have been like?
    Huh? Their record most certainly was not good every year. They were quite terrible several years - that's what finishing 5th and 4th means.

Huh? Their record most certainly was not good every year. They were quite terrible several years - that's what finishing 5th and 4th means.
    1980 W 103-59*
    1981 W 59-48*
    1982 W 79-83
    1983 W 91-71
    1984 W 87-75
    1985 W 97-64
    1986 W 90-72
    1987 W 89-73
    1988 W 85-76
    1989 W 74-87

* Lost in Post season

I don't see several terrible years here. Having suffered through the 1965-75 years makes our definition of terrible a bit different.

100 victories in 100 battles Kiwiwriter's Avatar

Delgado in Shea would make a lot of sense for the Mets, and definitely put them into contention. With Beltran, Cameron, and Wright, they have a reasonable batting order. Whether anything but small mammals that eat the eggs can defeat Atlanta I don't know. The Braves keep re-inventing themselves pretty well.
    Best, DHL
    "My intensity is intense." -- Roger Clemens
    "He that sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother." -- Henry V
    "A Yankee fan is bred to a harder thing than triumph." -- Me

Thread Information