+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

Was Boston/Yanks ever Boston/NY

Just curious if anyone knows if the Boston/Yanks rivalry extended to all the NY teams in regards to the sox? Was there a rivalary with the dodgers and the giants, or was it always just the yanks? Thanks in advance.

100 victories in 100 battles Kiwiwriter's Avatar

Re: Was Boston/Yanks ever Boston/NY

I think the only time it ever spilled over from the Yankee-Red Sox rivalry was in 1986, when the Sox faced the Mets in the World Series, with memorable results. One thing about this rivalry: it has heated up since 1977. Most of the time, when the Sox stank, the Yankees were hot. When the Yankees stank, the Sox were hot. They were only head-to-head rivals in 1949, until the all-out wars of the 1970s. Those were fueled by Bill Lee's calling the Yankees "Fascists" and the fight that busted his arm. After 1981, when the Yankees entered the new Dark Ages, the Sox got hot, and the rivalry cooled off some. It reheated in the late 1990s when both teams became contenders, and Dan Shaughnessy published his book, "The Curse of the Bambino." We have George Vecsey to thank, by the way, for dreaming that phrase up.
    Best, DHL
    "My intensity is intense." -- Roger Clemens
    "He that sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother." -- Henry V
    "A Yankee fan is bred to a harder thing than triumph." -- Me

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo
    Just curious if anyone knows if the Boston/Yanks rivalry extended to all the NY teams in regards to the sox? Was there a rivalary with the dodgers and the giants, or was it always just the yanks? Thanks in advance.
    Except for the 1912 and 1916 World Series, The Sox never played the New York Giants or Brooklyn Dodgers--so no rivalry.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain
    Except for the 1912 and 1916 World Series, The Sox never played the New York Giants or Brooklyn Dodgers--so no rivalry.
    The 1912 series was a doozy - and reflected plenty of rivalry.

J.J. McGraw refused to play Boston in a 1904 WS --so there wasn't one.

The AL Boston and NY teams had a terrific series in 1905 to determine the pennant winner (Boston).

In other words - plenty of material here, but lots of it is pretty old stuff - until the '70s

Addicted Member

nope, it's pretty much just been the yankees taking a dump on the sawx for all these years, no other new york teams have come close to that level of intensity in their rivalry... 2004's result just takes it up another notch as the yanks get to be the ones out for revenge

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dabize
    The 1912 series was a doozy - and reflected plenty of rivalry.
    Understood. But my point was that 1912 was the only time they played, and that you have to play each other multiple times for a rivalry to form.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Thread Information