+ Reply to Thread
    One of the Originals CalifYanksFan's Avatar
    Yankees recall LHP Lilly; option RHP Adrian Hernandez
    April 22, 2001

BRONX, NEW YORK (TICKER) -- Ted Lilly is the third pitcher this season to be given a chance to win the fifth starting spot in the New York Yankees' rotation.

Lilly on Sunday was recalled from Class AAA Columbus of the International League and is the starting pitcher in the finale of a three-game series with the archrival Boston Red Sox.

Both Christian Parker and Randy Keisler have already failed to win New York's final rotation spot, and now the chance goes to Lilly, a lefthander who has appeared in 16 major league games, including three starts for the Montreal Expos in 1999.

Lilly, 25, pitched out of the bullpen seven times for the Yankees last year, allowing six runs -- five earned -- and eight hits in eight innings. In three starts at Columbus, the California native was 0-0 with a 3.94 ERA, striking out 20 while walking only four in 16 innings.

The 26-year-old Hernandez made his major league debut on Saturday for the Yankees, allowing two hits, including a homer by Boston's Manny Ramirez, in three innings.

Hernandez, nicknamed "El Duquecito" because of a resemblance in both looks and pitching mechanics to Yankees righthander Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez, was 8-2 with a 3.95 ERA in 12 starts in 2000 while splitting time between Columbus, Class AA Norwich and Class A Tampa.

Email this story - (View most popular)

updated at Sun Apr 22 10:30:03 2001 PT
    AP Wire Service

Somebody has got to step up and take the #5 spot. If Orlando Hernandez gets surgery we're going to be in a world of hurt. Lilly is throwing good today, except for Manny Ramirez, but then, he's wearing everybody out. So hopefully Lilly can take the spot.

NYYF Cy Young

i still have high hopes for the little duke. i think he's gonna come through. but i really hope we get the big duke back soon.

i think we all like lilly for 5th (4th?) starter at this point!

~~jl

I would like to see lily for the 5th spot.

Butnud-Bombers.com
    I would take Adrian for Williams though!

NYYF HOF

Boo! I hope he isn't there long. I liked the way he looked Saturday.

He did look good. I am sure we will see him again at some point this year.

Addicted Member

if duque does need to go on the DL or miss his next couple of starts, i would like to see duquecito get the ball. i've heard so much hype about this kid, and i've never seen him start - not last year in ST or this year. i'd like to see if the hype is justified. He looked good out there on saturday, so hopefully he's a keeper.

Thread Information