+ Reply to Thread

Lieber signs with Philles, so we get their pick..

Pick #17.. 1st round. What do you all think? Will an impact player be available at that position? Thoughts..

I don't think we get that pick. I thought we got a supplemental pick.

NYYF HOF

For a Type A player, the compensation is the signing team's first-round pick plus a supplemental first-rounder. For a Type B, it's the signing team's first-round choice. For a Type C, it's a supplemental second-rounder. However, if the signing team picks in the upper half of the first round, that choice is protected and it loses its second-round selection instead. Also, Type C players who have been free agents in the past don't yield any compensation.

Re: Lieber signs with Philles, so we get their pick..

Originally posted by ryanm1058123
    Pick #17.. 1st round. What do you all think? Will an impact player be available at that position? Thoughts..
    Awsome

Too bad Wright was a Type A, and we didn't offer Miggy arbitration. If we offered Miggy arbitration, we'd have 2 first round picks.

Wait, just thought of something: I thought Leiber was Type B, not A. I'll try to find the Ask BA where Callis posted what all the free agents are.

NYYF HOF

Lieber is a type B and we get the Phillies first round pick.

Wright is a type A and the Braves get our first and a supplemental pick.

If we'd had offered Cairo arbitration we would have either had Cairo back or 2 more picks.

We get the 17th pick, unless the Phillies sign someone rated higher than Lieber. In that case we get their second round pick. But I as of right now I'm confident we will end up w/ the 17th pick in the '05 draft.

I would have taken the risk and offered Cairo arbitration. Sure, he may have made $2M at arbitration, but is Womack at this stage that much better than Cairo? And there was a decent chance we would have received draft picks back in compensation.

Another note, I think the Yankees are absolutely &po'd& about the Wright signing becoming public before midnight on Tuesday. This allowed the Braves to be comfortable in offering arbitration. Imagine have both the 17th and 29th pick in the first round!!!! Although, the Wright signing is not official yet...
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."
    Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Lt. Col., USMC

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by sugmasterflex
    We get the 17th pick, unless the Phillies sign someone rated higher than Lieber. In that case we get their second round pick. But I as of right now I'm confident we will end up w/ the 17th pick in the '05 draft.

I would have taken the risk and offered Cairo arbitration. Sure, he may have made $2M at arbitration, but is Womack at this stage that much better than Cairo? And there was a decent chance we would have received draft picks back in compensation.

Another note, I think the Yankees are absolutely &po'd& about the Wright signing becoming public before midnight on Tuesday. This allowed the Braves to be comfortable in offering arbitration. Imagine have both the 17th and 29th pick in the first round!!!! Although, the Wright signing is not official yet...
    If the Wright signing is not official, I hope the Yanks back out. He has had 1 good season in the past 6. Unless he's a late bloomer, this is not good.

Registered

Re: Lieber signs with Philles, so we get their pick..

Originally posted by ryanm1058123

when the 2005 draft comes around the yanks better take the best player available at #17 no matter the price, because i don't think were going to have a 2nd rd or 3rd pick.

sidenote-this is suppose to be a "great" draft and to have the #17 pick overall you can't messed that up.(unless of course your mark newman drafting)

Registered

we would of lost our 29th overall pick anyway.(beltran/pavano/pedro)

Re: Re: Lieber signs with Philles, so we get their pick..

Originally posted by ICEBERG18

when the 2005 draft come around the yanks better take the best player available at #17 no matter the price, because i don't think were going to have a 2nd rd or 3rd pick.

sidenote-this is suppose to be a "great" draft and to have the #17 pick overall you can't messed that up.(unless of course your mark newman drafting)

I think Oppenheimer is now in charge of drafting, right?

Who would you select at 17, high school or college?
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."

17th Pick

Do we still get the 17th pick if we keep signing free agents?

Originally posted by ICEBERG18

we would of lost our 29th overall pick anyway.(beltran/pavano/pedro)
    It's total # of picks lost. If we still had #29, it would mean that would be the pick lost for, say, Beltran. Now it may be a 2nd rounder in addition to #29. If Wright had not been offerred arbitration, that would have been one more pick the Yanks had, overall.

Besides, its highly doubtful Pedro is coming here, there are also doubts about Pavano and Beltran. J.D. Drew (no arbitration) may be more appealing...
    Last edited by sugmasterflex; 12-09-04 at 03:56 PM.

Re: 17th Pick

Originally posted by JMo543
    Yes, that is our pick to keep, unless Philly signs another FA rated higher than Leiber. But the Yanks themselves can't lose it.

Registered

Re: Re: Re: Lieber signs with Philles, so we get their pick..

I think Oppenheimer is now in charge of drafting, right?

Who would you select at 17, high school or college?

Damon Oppenheimer-is the vice president of player development and scouting. so yes he's in charge of the draft.

JUSTIN UPTON or CAMERON MAYBIN-lol (we have no shot at those 2)

anyway i seen a H.S. all-star game this past summer & this kid name justin bristow impressed me.(liked his swing)

Registered

It's total # of picks lost. If we still had #29, it would mean that would be the pick lost for, say, Beltran. Now it may be a 2nd rounder in addition to #29. If Wright had not been offerred arbitration, that would have been one more pick the Yanks had, [i[overall[/i].

Besides, its highly doubtful Pedro is coming here, there are also doubts about Pavano and Beltran. J.D. Drew (no arbitration) may be more appealing...
    if the yankees don't sign beltran with the questionable pitchers there signing now i will fly down to tampa myself.

and in my opinion the yanks won't sign J.D. drew.

i do understand what your saying though about the draft picks.

I think Jaret Wright would have gotten offered arbitration anyway as he's the perfect guy - coming off only one good year and very low salary with the worst case scenario being a 1 year commitment.

The fact that the Yankees didn't offer Cairo arbitration makes me think they still might get in on someone else (Kent, Iguchi) since they'll need a utility infielder anyway if Womack is the intended starter at 2B. Having both Cairo and Womack isn't really a problem. And in terms of draft picks I don't think any team would give up a first rounder for Cairo so an offer of arbitration would have forced him to take it, so we didn't really 'lose' any picks.

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by Fabien Brandy
    I think Jaret Wright would have gotten offered arbitration anyway as he's the perfect guy - coming off only one good year and very low salary with the worst case scenario being a 1 year commitment.

The fact that the Yankees didn't offer Cairo arbitration makes me think they still might get in on someone else (Kent, Iguchi) since they'll need a utility infielder anyway if Womack is the intended starter at 2B. Having both Cairo and Womack isn't really a problem. And in terms of draft picks I don't think any team would give up a first rounder for Cairo so an offer of arbitration would have forced him to take it, so we didn't really 'lose' any picks.
    Maybe Cano gets a legit. shot

Devoted Member

I wouldn't say it's set in stone that we get #17. The way free agents are rated is very wacky, and the Phillies could still sign a bench player that is rated higher than Lieber (whose rating is hurt because of all his time missed), in which case we would get screwed out of the first-round pick and get a second-rounder instead.
    I want to make babies with Philip Hughes.

Re: 17th Pick

Originally posted by JMo543
    You lose only picks that were originally yours. You don't lose picks received as compensation.

Not likely to lose #17

Here is the list of FA offered arbitration by their teams (courtesy BA).

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...sts/askba.html

As most are C and P, which the Phillies are pretty set on, there doesn't seem to be a need for any by the Phils.

The only two who seem to be fits for the Phillies are Beltre and Koskie- but I think they end up in Seattle and LA respectively.

So, I feel pretty confident the Yanks will keep the 17th pick.

NYYF Legend

I hope they use it for Ryan Doherty.

Originally posted by Yankyfan
    I hope they use it for Ryan Doherty.
    Where would Doherty ranks, say, in a college Top 50?

Thread Information