+ Reply to Thread

OFFICIAL threads, Managing Bandwith, and Merchandising

With all the problems going on with this issue why don't you just replace the Bridge Jumpers Forum with Official Threads Only. I know that Bridge Jumpers is supposed to survive so long as there is a new post within the past week but c'mon, the quality is lacking, the amount of posts is minimal, and a greater issue appears to be 'Official Threads'.
    Once it becomes 'Official Threads' you will effectively divert the vast majority of new threads that are created by forumers that do so just for the sake of wanting to feel important. Once you get them redirected the volume of posts in ITL will become more manageable.
    Other than that the only suggestion I can offer is to limit the number of threads a user can create over a given period of time. That can help the user to prioritize what he/she wants to say.

As far as bandwidth which I've read as being an issue during the season-
    Why don't you put the Game Thread forum on its own server? Other than that I would suggest that images/ads be on a seperate server.

Why aren't you merchandising??
    Yea, I can give via PayPal but how does that help to get the word out? Coffee mugs sitting on desks, mousepads, tee shirts, etc., all help get the word out. Especially with the great base of users in here you can take advanced orders and then shop around for price breaks based on the what folks want to order.
    I really think you can earn enough to pay the mods. Why is registration free? Just so the lurkers can waste your time? Let prospective users check the place out and if they want to post, they can sign up for $5. If chargebacks are an issue than let them download a sign up form and submit it, with their signature and payment, to your p.o. box.

This really is a Great site and it bothers me that you all have to work so hard just to think of it as, "A labor of love".

BTW, I already know a printer that does beautiful work. Not that crap that washes out after a few uses. I personally don't like to buy junk.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    I can think of an additional benefit of a registration fee (besides raising much-needed money for the site). Trolls. Who is going to spend money (say $10) to register to just come on and post "Yankees are chokers"? It will make the registration process self-sustaining without the need for the closing as we've had to do.
    Life is good!

Bandwidth isn't really an issue at this point.

I'm also toying around with the idea of paid-membership, but will have to wait until I go live with vb3 before I can implement anything.
    "The only thing I know about baseball is that whatever the manager does is wrong" - Moe

Originally posted by Jim F.

I'm also toying around with the idea of paid-membership, but will have to wait until I go live with vb3 before I can implement anything.
    The merchandising idea? Not even worth commenting on?

Released Outright Calvin and Hobbes's Avatar
    I don't think you'd see any new members if you charged for membership. There's way too many free sites for anybody to deem it worthwhile.

Originally posted by 1961

The merchandising idea? Not even worth commenting on?
    Sorry. I've considered merchandising. In fact, there will be some select items very soon.
    "The only thing I know about baseball is that whatever the manager does is wrong" - Moe

Originally posted by Calvin and Hobbes
    I don't think you'd see any new members if you charged for membership. There's way too many free sites for anybody to deem it worthwhile.
    Considering how many people contribute money to this site for NOTHING in return, I don't think it would be as bad as you suggest.

Released Outright Calvin and Hobbes's Avatar
    Considering how many people contribute money to this site for NOTHING in return, I don't think it would be as bad as you suggest.
    Fine. But I'm broke. So I'm not sending you money. I'll click on the banners, but thats the best I can offer.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    It would keep the trolls away and to me, that's a good thing.
    Life is good!

Designated For Assignment burke615-RSN's Avatar
    On a gaming forum I have used (www.diabloii.net) they gave little perks to the contributors, like a special-colored name, etc. You might consider doing something like that - like, $10 gets your name in blue for a month, $25 gets you a custom status for a month, $50 gets a custom avatar for a month - stuff like that. At the end of the month, either they "re-up", or the special status just reverts to the normal stuff. It might increase the number of contributions you get, as well as making them more regular. (No Ex-Lax jokes, please. )

It won't get you any money from someone like RhodeyYankee, of course, since he gets everything but the colored name.

NYYF Legend

if it came to the point of paid membership to stay on the site, i can tell you, most likely i would not be able to stay. fortunatley, i'm in the minority i think...(and hope for the best of this site if it were to go that way)
    Crush it with your mind vice.

Jim, if you're gonna do the paid membership thing, why don't you try it as optional at first just to see how it goes. Just give some sort of incentive. (not that I have any clue what that could be )

I'm just afraid to see people leave because paid memberships are forced. And for people who think there is a problem with paid members getting certain perks, or looked at as "superior" members, or whatever that discussion called it, can you just deal with that? If it's gonna be one or the other I'd rather see certain people have more options but have everyone stay then it just being paid across the board and having others who can't afford it leave for another site.
    Boo for trading Prado.

I don't know where anyone got the idea that I would ever require paid memberships... if/when it's implemented, it will be an add-on to receive additional features on the forum, and possibly access to some of the other content-related ideas I'm pushing around.

I was just going by what was being said. I'm glad you're making it optional.
    Boo for trading Prado.

Originally posted by Hitman23
    I was just going by what was being said.
    I know you were . I don't know why it's being said though...

I got a cool idea for an incentive. If you're a sponsor (someone who's paid a membership), you can pay $50 to get a fan of a non-yankee-team nuked for no reason whatsoever! $100 gets them banned permenantly, so we don't see "yecul2"s running around.

Ok, i'm kindding.

Sorta.

Maybe.

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by Bozidar
    I got a cool idea for an incentive. If you're a sponsor (someone who's paid a membership), you can pay $50 to get a fan of a non-yankee-team nuked for no reason whatsoever! $100 gets them banned permenantly, so we don't see "yecul2"s running around.

Ok, i'm kindding.

Sorta.

Maybe.
    Brilliant !
    .Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

NYYF Legend

Ok, i'm kindding.

Sorta.

Maybe.
    Where do I send the $$?????

Jim-

Is there way to track clicks on the ads, per poster, and give some kind of credit for merchandise or something like that? ie: Click ads 100 X month-get a bumper sticker...200 X gets a keychain, etc.

that's right

Ok, i'm kindding.

Sorta.

Maybe.
    Oh this is classic

Originally posted by Hitman23
    Jim, if you're gonna do the paid membership thing, why don't you try it as optional at first just to see how it goes. Just give some sort of incentive. (not that I have any clue what that could be )

I'm just afraid to see people leave because paid memberships are forced. And for people who think there is a problem with paid members getting certain perks, or looked at as "superior" members, or whatever that discussion called it, can you just deal with that? If it's gonna be one or the other I'd rather see certain people have more options but have everyone stay then it just being paid across the board and having others who can't afford it leave for another site.
    If membership is cheap enough - wealthier members can sponsor the destitute. It's happened on ezboard.

But anyhow, considering that some of you do spend most of your waking lives on this board, whatever small amount of money Jim might decide to charge is worth it.

NYYF Legend

i think it is a great idea to keep out bums and reward people who run this for us, i will be more than willing to pay around 20 50 bucks. but that is me,

and with the idea of perks, do something simple first, where you have your yankee logos say that one is a supporter, or allow for more toying around with avatars or such, something unitnrusive at first, but something someone who stciks around here, will want after they see people they respect have it. Screw the people who come here post for a week and leave, reward the people who become part of the commnity, getting them to pay is no problem, maybe an intro period is good, and after a while you have to pay. it will weed out fake posters

Thread Information