September 10th (W 2-1) 7 IP 1 ER 8K 1 BB
    September 15th (W 3-2) 8 IP 2 ER 11K 0 BB
    September 22nd (L 2-4) 7 IP 1 ER 4K 2 BB
    September 27th (W 3-1) 7 IP 1 ER 10K 1 BB
    October 2nd ( W 7-6) 8 IP 1 ER 8K 0 BB

11 double digit strike out performances

14 Losses and he only gave up 3 runs or less, how pathetic

I have no idea in the world why he wants out of Arizona :rolleyes:

Not too bad for an over-the-hill pitcher. It was 1978, the last time, I saw any similar stats like that from a pitcher in a Yankee uniform.

He HAD a great career. It's almost over. That's why it would be incredibly dumb to trade Vazquez for him.
    Fire Cashman!

Originally posted by Yankees1962
    Not too bad for an over-the-hill pitcher. It was 1978, the last time, I saw any similar stats like that from a pitcher in a Yankee uniform.
    Looks like he's ready to decline, huh.

Originally posted by Dooley Womack

Looks like he's ready to decline, huh.
    It's about as likely as him having another injury plagued season similar to 2003.
    Fire Cashman!

Originally posted by Rich
    He HAD a great career. It's almost over. That's why it would be incredibly dumb to trade Vazquez for him.

if Vazquez was coming off a great season.....I would not be willing to trade him for RJ

if it was guaranteed that he would rebound in 2005 and pitch like he did in Montreal.....I would not be willing to trade him for RJ

but his 2nd half worries me alot.....what scares me was his inability to make adjustments in-season.....even the best pitchers go thru slumps and struggles....but they adjust and fix their problems and return to their dominance

Vazquez didnt do this.....he admitted he was struggling with mechanics....he worked to fix them....yet he couldnt.....at times he even said "Im lost...I dont know whats wrong"......comments like this scare me alot and really make me wonder about him and his mindset

what happens if we pass up a chance to get a dominant RJ for 2-3 years....keep Vazquez and only have him keep pitching like he did in the 2nd half of 2004??

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by dabomb2045

what happens if we pass up a chance to get a dominant RJ for 2-3 years....keep Vazquez and only have him keep pitching like he did in the 2nd half of 2004??
    Then we made the right decision and it didn't work out. That happens in baseball. The trick isn't to be afraid of being wrong; the trick is to work out how to be right more often than not. And I think Steinbrenner (and some others, possibly) are so worried about making the obvious, big, splashy move that seems right on the surface that they are ignoring what the right move long-term is when you consider it rationally.

Put another way - trading for Johnson appears smart because he had a good year, while trading away Vazquez appears smart because he had a bad year. That makes the trade appear defensible if it goes wrong, because you can shrug, and say, "well, Randy was great in 2004 - who knew his knee would collapse like that?" But if you always buy high and sell low, you're going to lose in the end. Because you're paying for Johnson's best possible performance, which is more likely to go down than up. (How much better could he get?) And you're paying with Vazquez' worst possible performance, which is more likely to go up than down.

So you end up overpaying with prospects and cash. And your odds of winning on the deal plummet. This post may appear to be a statement of the bleedin' obvious, but I suspect that attraction to shiny things is winning out over rational analysis of players in the Yankee front office. "Get him, no matter what!" Well, okay, but it means you undervalue your own assets and overvalue other people's.

Now, if you're of the mind that winning in 2005 is the only thing that matters, then it's defensible to get gouged by Arizona, because you don't care what happens in 2006, and that's how you're paying. You're giving Arizona your future. But a lot of people do care what happens in 2006, and 2007, and so on, and they don't want to get reamed by the Diamondbacks to get the most expensive thing in the store. And I suspect this time next year, even if the Yankees do win the World Series, a lot of people will start caring about 2006 in a hurry. The world isn't ending next year. There will be baseball after we win or lose in 2005.

There's no way to say this without being pompous, but I work in commodities trading. In any kind of trading, if you consistently buy things at the peak of their value, and sell them below that, you'll be through in a matter of months. The same applies to any supply-and-demand system, even - especially - a closed one like baseball. The Yankees may have deeper pockets and more room for error than any other franchise, but the same rules apply.

The Yankees bought low very successfully in the past. Martinez, O'Neill, Brosius - all rose in value after they arrived in New York. Since 2001, how many have done the same? Only Soriano and Johnson - homegrown players. Makes you think.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    Mayonnaise is a demanding master.

NYYF MVP

Gotta keep Vazquez...

You build championships around the kind of pitcher Vazquez is. If Pavano or Radke can be added this coming season, and Santana or Hudson in '06, plus at least one home grown arm, this is starting to look like a staff that can win in October... yearly!

Released Outright noneckwilliams's Avatar

Sorry, no dice Sandman,

I ain't in favor of giving up Vazquez, a ton of young talent and a billion dollars for 41 year old who pitched in front of no-one with no preseeure for 3 years.

Released Outright rightfielder21's Avatar
    Pequannock, New Jersey (Birthplace of Derek Jeter)

Re: Gotta keep Vazquez...

Originally posted by CaptainThurman
    You build championships around the kind of pitcher Vazquez is. If Pavano or Radke can be added this coming season, and Santana or Hudson in '06, plus at least one home grown arm, this is starting to look like a staff that can win in October... yearly!
    Santana isn't a FA until after 2006...

I agree with everything else...

Hmmm.... lets see.... he was 16-14 for AZ, put him in pinstripes in '03 and consider those 11 losses with 3 ER or less to be potential wins and he's.... 26-3.... haha, now i know that win total is a stretch and the dh might up his era a few points, but honestly.... he'd have at least twenty wins and far fewer than 10 losses if he pitched for NY.

... but then again consider he gave up 18 homers, 16 of them to righties, 11 of those 16 at home in a park that is 376 to left center.... put him in the bronx where its 399 in left center and his homer total goes down by at least a few

so pitching for New York he'd be a 20 game winner with less home runs allowed than he already has and... why do people not want him??? he could definitely have one of the best seasons ever in the modern era of baseball with NY
    [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Devoted Member

Kevin Brown's stats looked amazing one year ago too...
    2003:
    6 IP, 0 ER (4K / 1BB) - W - 2-Apr @ARI
    6.1 IP, 1 ER (3K / 1BB) - L - 7-Apr ARI
    5 IP, 4 ER (5K / 5BB) - L - 13-Apr @SF
    5 IP, 5 ER (3K / 2BB) - L - 18-Apr SF
    7 IP, 2 ER (11K / 2BB) - L - 24-Apr @CIN
    7 IP, 1 ER (7K / 0BB) - W - 29-Apr PHI
    8 IP, 1 ER (2K / 0BB) - W - 4-May PIT
    6 IP, 1 ER (4K / 1BB) - W - 9-May @MON
    7 IP, 1 ER (7K / 2BB) - W - 14-May ATL
    7 IP, 1 ER (9K / 3BB) - W - 20-May COL
    8 IP, 1 ER (8K / 1BB) - W - 25-May @MIL
    8 IP, 0 ER (6K / 0BB) - W - 31-May MIL
    7 IP, 2 ER (5K / 1BB) - W - 5-Jun KC
    7 IP, 1 ER (7K / 3BB) - W - 11-Jun @DET
    6 IP, 1 ER (4K / 2BB) - W - 17-Jun SF
    5 IP, 4 ER (8K / 2BB) - L - 22-Jun ANA
    7 IP, 2 ER (4K / 0BB) - L - 27-Jun @ANA
    5 IP, 2 ER (6K / 1BB) - L - 3-Jul SD
    6 IP, 1 ER (6K / 0BB) - L - 19-Jul STL
    8 IP, 0 ER (6K / 2BB) - W - 24-Jul COL
    6 IP, 1 ER (4K / 3BB) - L - 30-Jul @PHI
    6.2 IP, 2 ER (9K / 1BB) - W - 5-Aug CIN
    7 IP, 3 ER (7K / 2BB) - L - 10-Aug CHC
    7 IP, 3 ER (7K / 2BB) - W - 14-Aug @FLA
    6 IP, 1 ER (6K / 3BB) - L - 19-Aug MON
    8 IP, 0 ER (3K / 1BB) - L - 24-Aug NYM
    7 IP, 4 ER (9K / 3BB) - W - 29-Aug COL
    7 IP, 4 ER (5K / 1BB) - L - 3-Sep HOU
    6 IP, 3 ER (5K / 2BB) - W - 8-Sep @ARI
    7 IP, 0 ER (9K / 2BB) - W - 13-Sep SD
    5 IP, 3 ER (3K / 3BB) - L - 19-Sep SF
    7 IP, 1 ER (3K / 4BB) - W - 24-Sep @SD

Overall ERA 2.39.

22 of his 33 starts he pitched 6 or more innings and gave up 2 or less earned runs. He was dominating.

It just shows you never know.

Re: Sorry, no dice Sandman,

Originally posted by noneckwilliams
    I ain't in favor of giving up Vazquez, a ton of young talent and a billion dollars for 41 year old who pitched in front of no-one with no preseeure for 3 years.
    I agree with the first part of what you said in that I also don't want to give up Vazquez, prospects and lots of money for a 41-year old with chronic knee and back problems. However, there is no doubt in my mind that if there's one player who can handle the pressure of pitching in New York, or anywhere else for that matter, it's Randy Johnson.

-Deborah
    [URL="http://www.aplaceformyphotos.com/blog/"]http://www.aplaceformyphotos.com/blog/[/URL]

I do not post on NoMaas. That silverdsl is not this silverdsl.

Just Flanders being Flanders. Stupid Flanders's Avatar
    Originally posted by Saxmania
    Martinez, O'Neill, Brosius - all rose in value after they arrived in New York. Since 2001, how many have done the same? Only Soriano and Johnson - homegrown players. Makes you think.
    Cairo, Sierra, Sturtze, Lieber....

Originally posted by Stupid Flanders
    ha, yeah seriously, good call. there aren't going to be any big name guys whose value will rise because they're all locked up in deals, but say we signed mussina to only a year or two, his value would have risen, he has been very good for us... tony clark probably raised his value a little, he showed he still has some power... olerud may have raised his value if teams look at his BA during his time in the bronx...
    [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Cairo's best season came in 2001, not this year.

Sierra is way past his prime.

Lieber's ERA+ this year was exactly his career average.

Look, we all know that Johnson is a great pitcher. The question is, is he great enough to give up what it will apparently cost to get him (Vazquez, multiple prospects, and a big chunk of cash).

I don't think it's guaranteed that Randy Johnson would up numbers like that if he came here. It seems like every player that comes here off a monster year for another team never does as well.

Originally posted by Saxmania

Because you're paying for Johnson's best possible performance, which is more likely to go down than up. (How much better could he get?) And you're paying with Vazquez' worst possible performance, which is more likely to go up than down.

So you end up overpaying with prospects and cash. And your odds of winning on the deal plummet.
    You r right on money.

NYYF Legend

Cairo had a nice little season, but I don't see teams queuing up to give him a starting job. Sierra's at the end of his career - a few home runs for New York don't make him a starting player. Sturtze had two good months after four bad ones, and isn't going to be offered a rotation slot by anyone. So none of those three are significant impact players yet (unlike Johnson and Soriano), and I'll be surprised if any is given a contract over $3m/per this offseason. They remain utility-type players, and Sierra should probably retire.

On the other hand, if Cairo or Sturtze were to repeat their recent form in 2005, I'd grant you the premise. Hasn't happened yet, though. Soriano had 2 All-Star years in a row, although his stats were a little misleading. Johnson had injury problems, but still put up a phenomenal (and repeatable) show of patience at the plate. Apples and oranges.

Lieber I'll happily give you - and that's exactly the kind of move New York should start making again. Jumped on a good-quality (not great) pitcher at well under the market value by taking a bit of a risk that he'd come back after surgery. It paid off handsomely. If there were more deals like Lieber around (St. Louis enjoyed Chris Carpenter's comback this year, too), then I'd be ecstatic. We signed him at the lowest point of his value, and he's now back to a high point. If only we made a habit of it . . .

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    Mayonnaise is a demanding master.

NYYF Cy Young

Originally posted by PinstripeDynasty
    f u for mentioning that name in my presence

Originally posted by PinstripeDynasty
    2003:
    6 IP, 0 ER (4K / 1BB) - W - 2-Apr @ARI
    6.1 IP, 1 ER (3K / 1BB) - L - 7-Apr ARI
    5 IP, 4 ER (5K / 5BB) - L - 13-Apr @SF
    5 IP, 5 ER (3K / 2BB) - L - 18-Apr SF
    7 IP, 2 ER (11K / 2BB) - L - 24-Apr @CIN
    7 IP, 1 ER (7K / 0BB) - W - 29-Apr PHI
    8 IP, 1 ER (2K / 0BB) - W - 4-May PIT
    6 IP, 1 ER (4K / 1BB) - W - 9-May @MON
    7 IP, 1 ER (7K / 2BB) - W - 14-May ATL
    7 IP, 1 ER (9K / 3BB) - W - 20-May COL
    8 IP, 1 ER (8K / 1BB) - W - 25-May @MIL
    8 IP, 0 ER (6K / 0BB) - W - 31-May MIL
    7 IP, 2 ER (5K / 1BB) - W - 5-Jun KC
    7 IP, 1 ER (7K / 3BB) - W - 11-Jun @DET
    6 IP, 1 ER (4K / 2BB) - W - 17-Jun SF
    5 IP, 4 ER (8K / 2BB) - L - 22-Jun ANA
    7 IP, 2 ER (4K / 0BB) - L - 27-Jun @ANA
    5 IP, 2 ER (6K / 1BB) - L - 3-Jul SD
    6 IP, 1 ER (6K / 0BB) - L - 19-Jul STL
    8 IP, 0 ER (6K / 2BB) - W - 24-Jul COL
    6 IP, 1 ER (4K / 3BB) - L - 30-Jul @PHI
    6.2 IP, 2 ER (9K / 1BB) - W - 5-Aug CIN
    7 IP, 3 ER (7K / 2BB) - L - 10-Aug CHC
    7 IP, 3 ER (7K / 2BB) - W - 14-Aug @FLA
    6 IP, 1 ER (6K / 3BB) - L - 19-Aug MON
    8 IP, 0 ER (3K / 1BB) - L - 24-Aug NYM
    7 IP, 4 ER (9K / 3BB) - W - 29-Aug COL
    7 IP, 4 ER (5K / 1BB) - L - 3-Sep HOU
    6 IP, 3 ER (5K / 2BB) - W - 8-Sep @ARI
    7 IP, 0 ER (9K / 2BB) - W - 13-Sep SD
    5 IP, 3 ER (3K / 3BB) - L - 19-Sep SF
    7 IP, 1 ER (3K / 4BB) - W - 24-Sep @SD

Overall ERA 2.39.

22 of his 33 starts he pitched 6 or more innings and gave up 2 or less earned runs. He was dominating.

It just shows you never know.

true, but please dont compare KEVIN BROWN to RANDY JOHNSON

NYYF Triple Crown

Problem is with KBrown's stats is that KBrown was injured 4 of the last 5 years whereas RJ has been healthy 4 of hte last 5 years... KBrown's 2003 is more and more a fluke.

August 20th (L 0-2) 7 IP 1 ER 14 K 3 BB
    August 25th (L 1-2) 8 IP 2 ER 11 K 0 BB
    August 31st (L 1-4) 8 IP 1 ER 15K 1 BB

That has to sting.

Originally posted by Enter_Sandman_42

true, but please dont compare KEVIN BROWN to RANDY JOHNSON
    Why not? It's a valid comparison. Veteran pitchers with big reputations coming off very good seasons. Both had/have questions age and injury.
    There is no "I" in "team" but there is a dismembered and mixed-up "me."

Released Outright noneckwilliams's Avatar

Randy Johnson = Kevin Brown

Just Say No to The Big Doofus.

I'm just afraid Vazquez is gonna be a bust.....I just dont like what I saw and heard from him in the 2nd half....I have nightmares about a 10-14 5.50 era season from Vazquez next season....this is why getting someone like Pavano scares me.....around the same age....coming off the same type of year in the NL.....the last thing we need is to sign another youngster who comes here and is a big dissapointment

if Vazquez keeps pitching like he did.....we pass up a great chance to win in 05 and 06.....as well as beyond that

Thread Information