+ Reply to Thread
Page 84 of 88 FirstFirst ... 34 74 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... LastLast
Results 2,076 to 2,100 of 2196

Thread: Boxing, anyone?

Re: Boxing, anyone?

Donaire, Mathebula make weight
    http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/dona...-weight-122065

Nonito Donaire 121.4 vs. Jeffrey Mathebula 121.8
    (WBO/IBF super bantamweight world title)

Kelly Pavlik 168.2 vs. Will Rosinsky 168.2
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

Klitschko 249.1, Thompson 244.7
    http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/klit...n-244-7-122010

WBA/WBO Superchampion, IBO/IBF World Heavyweight Champion Wladimir Klitschko (57-3, 50 KOs) and his challenger Tony Thompson (36-2, 24 KOs) stepped on the scale today. Klitschko weighed 249.1 and Thompson weighed 244.7. They will face off at the Stade de Suisse in Bern, Switzerland, tomorrow at 5PM ET/2PM PT.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

Wladimir 'Dr. Steelhammer' Klitschko knocks out Tony 'The Tiger' Thompson in the 6th round to retain the WBA (Super), IBF, WBO, IBO & The Ring Heavyweight titles.

Thompson had his few moments in Round 3 when he scored with his left hand in the third, but Wladimir answered with a straight right in the fifth scoring a knockdown and had Thompson along the ropes and the Tiger never recovered as he was dropped again in the sixth en route to the stoppage victory in Bern, Switzerland.

As for 'The Filipino Flash' Nonito Donaire, he added the IBF Super Bantamweight title to his collection after defeating South African veteran Jeffrey Mathebula via unanimous decision.

I had it 116-111 for Nonito based on his better ring generalship and landing the most damaging punches, but the scorecards from those three judges were very harsh on Mathebula.

I thought Mathebula scored some rounds and frustrated Donaire with his height and reach and his jab swelled Donaire's left eye.

I liked that Donaire build pressure, but he needs to add some more weapons to his arsenal going forward instead of using his same thing which was his left hook and uppercut. Add some right hands and body shots to it.

As for Donaire's next fight, Guillermo Rigondeaux and Abner Mares called him out. Donaire says he wants to be the unified champion at 122.
    http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/07...aux-mares-next

Donaire beat a Top 10 fighter at Home Depot Center, but Rigondeaux and Mares are tough foes. Donaire needs to add more weapons to go along with his footwork, left hook and uppercut in order to beat those two.

Amir Khan reinstated as WBA Light-welterweight (junior welterweight) champion ahead of his fight against Danny Garcia on July 14, 2012
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/18790657

I can't wait for two fights involving British boxers in Khan and also a grudge encounter between David Haye and Dereck Chisora at Upton Park on Saturday.

BB55's Picks: British Fight Night on Saturday

Amir Khan vs. Danny Garcia for the WBA, WBC and The Ring Light Welterweight title fight - 11:00 PM ET/PT on HBO World Championship Boxing.

I think Khan is going to win via TKO 9th Round. Danny Garcia can pose problems for Khan with his good skills and decent power, but I see Khan, if he's focused on his fight against Garcia, having better lateral movement and hand speed to keep Garcia at bay.

Also with Garcia's father bashing Khan's British Pakistani heritage adds more fuel to Khan's fire.

As for David Haye vs. Dereck Chisora, this grudge match at Boleyn Ground in London, England will be a good fight.

I think Haye takes it in the 7th round. Chisora will go for the knockout early, but Haye's reach will keep him at bay and is the better athlete of the two.

Khan, Garcia both make weight
    http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/khan...-weight-123771

Reinstated WBA super lightweight champion Amir “King” Khan scaled in at 139 and WBC super lightweight champion Danny “Swift” Garcia weighed 139 for their title unification clash Saturday night at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

David Haye 210; Dereck Chisora 247
    http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/chis...an-haye-123486

Two megafights on Mexican Independence Day: September 15, 2012 in Las Vegas

Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez vs. the Victor Ortiz upset bug Josesito Lopez
    MGM Grand Garden Arena
    http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/cane...fficial-123094

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. vs. Sergio Martinez
    Thomas and Mack Center on HBO PPV
    http://www.thesweetscience.com/news/...owl-arum-says-

Dereck Chisora came to fight against David 'The Hayemaker' Haye, but Haye used his speed and power to knockout Chisora in five rounds after a nasty right dropped Chisora at 2:59 of round five.

After the fight, both fighters embraced.

Who's next for Haye? Could be Vitali Klitschko.

Whoa! So much for big fights in his future for Amir Khan including a potential bout against Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Danny Garcia, despite getting a cut on his right eye in Round 2, scored a knockdown in the third round as he cranked up the pressure with an uppercut that set up his left hook. Khan's hands were wide open, not tight across his upper guard.

In Round 4, Garcia destroyed Khan badly with another knockdown early and the third knockdown off a right hook made Kenny Bayless stopped the fight at 2:28 in the round.

Khan's glass chin got exposed big time by Garcia, even worse than Breidis Prescott.

After the fight, Khan said it wasn't his night. Classy kid.

A very rough patch for Freddie Roach after his two of his prize stalwarts lose their fights in 2012 when Manny Pacquiao lost in a controversial split decision to Timothy Bradley and Khan getting knocked out for the first time under Roach.

After two action fights that result in knockouts today and adding Garcia's upset over Khan to Josesito Lopez's jawbreaking stoppage on 'Vicious' Victor Ortiz, fight fans are missing out on boxing after the Pacquiao vs. Bradley fiasco.

Can't wait for three fights in the next two weeks...

This week from Oracle Arena in Oakland, CA: Andre 'S.O.G.' Ward defends his WBC and WBA super middleweight title against 'Bad' Chad Dawson on September 8, 2012 on 9:45 PM ET/6:45 PM PT. - HBO WCB

And next Saturday, September 15, Mexican Independence Day clashes in Las Vegas.

HBO PPV has Sergio Martinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. - Thomas and Mack Center at UNLV 9 PM ET/6 PM PT. The Ring and WBC Middleweight title.

Showtime Championship Boxing - WBC Super Welterweight Champion Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez vs. Josésito López - MGM Grand Garden Arena 9 PM ET/6 PM PT.

This Saturday on HBO World Championship Boxing from Oracle Arena in Oakland, CA, I pick Andre Ward over Chad Dawson via unanimous decision.

Dawson has a lot of talent, but Ward is the most consistent and one of the best tactical fighters in boxing with better movement.

Jean Pascual frustrated and flustered Dawson with his movement. And with Ward's movement, speed, accuracy and pinpoint accuracy, I just don't see Dawson pulling off the upset.

For Dawson to win, he can't take rounds off and try to figure out Ward late. He needs to figure out Ward from Bell 1 onward.

But I think Ward's speed and versatility including his jab and straight right will take Dawson apart.

Ward, Dawson make weight
    http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/ward...-weight-134526

Andre Ward 168 vs. Chad Dawson 168

Andre 'S.O.G.' Ward stunned everyone with a 10th round TKO win over Chad 'Bad' Dawson in front of his hometown fans in Oracle Arena in Oakland, CA

Ward knocked Dawson down in the 3rd and fourth rounds and dominated the fight from there until Dawson took a knee in the 10th round and pleaded ringside referee Steve Smoger to stop the fight.

Ward is just an absolute beast. If I were doing the P4P rankings right now, I think Ward's performance will be in the Top 3 in those rankings.

Another chapter: Manny Pacquiao vs. Juan Manuel Marquez IV set for December 8
    http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...ight-set-dec-8

BB55's Take: I was talking with some fellow boxing fans that if Manny Pacquiao takes the fight with Juan Manuel Marquez, I think Timothy Bradley Jr. will take on Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Bradley doesn't want to have a long layoff and he even called Pacquiao a "chicken" for his stalling tactics on his next fight.

Even if Pacquiao picked Bradley for the rematch, it's still a dangerous fight for Pacquiao whether it's against Bradley or Marquez because the pressure is on the Filipino slugger.

Why? Pacquiao needs a convincing win against either Marquez or Bradley in a rematch to get to Money May and have a chance against him.

For Pacquiao to beat Marquez decisively this time around, he needs to focus on boxing. Get away from his distractions of TV hosting and his politics and religious careers.

Focusing on one camp at the Hollywood's Wild Card Gym is a start, but he also needs to listen to his trainers including conditioning coach Alex Ariza.

For Dinamita, he needs to do the same thing Erik Morales did in his win over Manny the first time and also Bradley did in June: take the fight to Manny Pacquiao by mixing your counterpunching game with aggression and trapping Manny along the ropes.

Mexican Independence Day boxing: What a day for boxing and fight fans in general.

In the Sergio Martinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. fight, I have to go with Martinez by 10th Round TKO.

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. has a big right hook, young and undefeated. But unlike his father, the legendary Julio Cesar Chavez Sr., he hasn't been tested.

Martinez is experienced with wins over Paul 'The Punisher' Williams and Kelly 'The Ghost' Pavlik and is a southpaw, but he needs to keep moving around and avoid getting hit very often. If Chavez Jr. is right in front of him and land his barrages, Martinez will be in deep trouble.

However, Chavez Jr. still has a suspect defense and a yet-battle tested chin.

I think it will be an exciting fight.

As for Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez vs. Josesito Lopez on Showtime, I think it will take another broken jaw knockout like he did against Victor Ortiz for Lopez to win.

I just don't see it.

Lopez is jumping up two weight classes and is facing a fighter who has power, elusive and precision in Canelo.

Lopez has the heart and fighting spirit to make it a good fight, but I think Canelo's power will overwhelm him. I say Canelo by 8th round KO.

Alvarez, Lopez make weight at “Knockout Kings”
    http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/alva...t-kings-136659

For the WBC Super Welterweight title:
    Saul “Canelo” Alvarez 154 vs. Josesito Lopez 153

Chavez, Martinez make weight easily
    http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/chav...-easily-136754

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. 158 vs Sergio Martinez 159
    (WBC middleweight championship)

Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez was just too big and too powerful for Josesito Lopez.

Canelo delivered big powerful shots including nasty body blows to earn a fifth round TKO over Lopez.

Lopez is one tough fighter and never stopped trying, but Canelo was calm, composed, precise and explosive.

Canelo throw millions of combinations from all angles scoring two knockdowns in Round 4 and forcing Joe Cortez to stop the fight in Round 5.

Lopez was game, but Canelo was too much.

Meanwhile at the Thomas and Mack Center, an almost shocking and exciting finish to a one-sided fight as Argentine southpaw Sergio 'Maravilla' Martinez defeats Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. via unanimous decision: 117-110 118-109 118-109 to maintain his middleweight title.

I had it 118-109 for Martinez.

Martinez just picked Chavez apart with his jab, slickness and precision including his left to thwart Chavez Jr.

Chavez Jr. got his power, size and strength to trap Martinez along the ropes, but not for long.

Martinez was just circling and landing at will and kept the fight in the center of the ring.

Even though Martinez is 37 and started to tire in the late rounds, he was still outlanding and outworking Chavez Jr.

But there was a major scare for the Argentine in the 12th round. Chavez Jr. landed a right and left and knocked down Martinez.

Martinez survived the 8 count and fired back despite Chavez Jr. gaining steam before the bell.

I thought it was going to be a Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. late KO win over Meldrick Taylor again, but Martinez showed the heart of a lion fighting back.

But both guys' noses were broken and two clashes of heads.

Chavez Jr. gets my respect for that late knockdown, but Maravilla took him to school. Had Chavez Jr. showed that intensity from that late round earlier, he could've stolen it.

If there was a fight between Martinez and Andre 'S.O.G.' Ward, I would like to see it.

Excellent article on Ray Mancini and Duk-Koo Kim - the fighters, their fight, and how it has affected both families for 30 years. I saw that fight, back when big-time title fights were commonly shown on network TV.

Edit: I forgot to include the link. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/17/sports/families-continue-to-heal-30-years-after-title-bout-between-ray-mancini-and-duk-koo-kim.html
    Last edited by JL25and3; 09-17-12 at 06:02 PM.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Excellent article on Ray Mancini and Duk-Koo Kim - the fighters, their fight, and how it has affected both families for 30 years. I saw that fight, back when big-time title fights were commonly shown on network TV.

Edit: I forgot to include the link. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/17/sports/families-continue-to-heal-30-years-after-title-bout-between-ray-mancini-and-duk-koo-kim.html
    It heavily affected Ray 'Boom Boom' Mancini's career and also made a lot of changes in boxing including reducing the main card fights from 15 to 12 and also brain and EKG tests.

Busted again: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. test positive for Marijuana
    http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/story...tive-marijuana

Second time that the son of Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. failed a drug test.

Floyd Mayweather Jr., Manny Pacquiao Settling Defamation Case
    http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...efamation-case

Thread Information