+ Reply to Thread
Page 81 of 88 FirstFirst ... 31 71 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 2193

Thread: Boxing, anyone?

Re: Boxing, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    David Hayes hits Chisora with a glass during post fight presser (NSFW language):

The German guy in the podium who pwned David Haye has a point. Dereck Chisora came to fight against a Klitschko, showed toughness despite being outpointed by Vitali.

"You showed your toe. You showed your toe."
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

Dereck Chisora apologizes for brawl with David Haye
    http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...awl-david-haye
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

Here's the close up of the brawl between Dereck Chisora and David Haye.

Manny Pacquiao insists he’ll fight Floyd Mayweather but offer was financially unacceptable
    http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_yl...iations_022012

Can't wait for the rematch in the Puerto Rico vs. Mexico boxing war this Saturday on Showtime Championship Boxing.

It's Orlando 'Siri' Salido vs. Juan Manuel 'JuanMa' Lopez II, the rematch for the Salido's WBO Featherweight title on Saturday March 10, 2012 at 10 PM ET/PT.

One year ago, JuanMa suffered his first career loss via TKO to Salido in front of his fans inside Coliseo Rubén Rodríguez, Bayamón.

Will Lopez get his revenge or will Salido repeat his victory over Lopez?

BB55's Primer: Orlando Salido vs. Juan Manuel Lopez II

11 months ago, Mexican warrior Orlando 'Siri' Salido stunned the boxing world by beating the hardest, heavy-hitting puncher in the featherweight division, Puerto Rico's Juan Manuel 'JuanMa' Lopez via TKO R8 to win the WBO Featherweight title.

Now Lopez wants revenge on Salido in front of a major crowd in Coliseo Roberto Clemente, San Juan in another chapter in the Puerto Rico-Mexico boxing rivalry.

For Salido to win, I think he needs to use more tools to set up his big right hand, a weapon that was very effective against JuanMa 11 months ago in Bayamón. Siri needs to cut the distance so that Lopez doesn't land his trademark looping left hook in space and use some left hands and body work to set up his big right hand.

For JuanMa, it will come down to two things: defense and stamina.

For a heavy-hitter and attack-minded fighter who can box, JuanMa was exposed against Salido by his lack of defense. Salido popped him with right hands when Lopez dropped his guard and his chin was battered. Lopez not only needs to keep his guard up, he also needs to show head movement with bobbing and weaving.

Another thing that can help JuanMa is to hit and move away with lateral movement and avoiding the big right hand.

Also, JuanMa needs to pick and land his shots to set up his punishing power. If he winds up and goes for the full Monty early, his energy will be sapped and the Puerto Rican will be winded.

BB55's Prediction: Can Salido do it twice in front of Puerto Rican fans by knocking out Lopez? If Lopez is more focused and shows better defense and movement to go along with his power, I think JuanMa will have his revenge.

I expect JuanMa to take some shots from Siri, but hang around just enough to win the "Championship Rounds" en route to a close decision win.

BB55's Final Verdict: Juan Manuel Lopez over Orlando Salido via unanimous decision.

Both Juan Manuel Lopez and Orlando Salido made weight
    http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/sali...-weight-109896

WBO featherweight champion Orlando Salido (37-11-2, 25 KOs) weighed in at the division limit of 126 lbs for his world title rematch against the previous beltholder Juan Manuel “Juanma” Lopez (31-1, 28 KOs) on Saturday at the Roberto Clemente Coliseum in San Juan, Puerto Rico. “Juanma” scaled in at 125.7.

For the ten round NABF/NABO featherweight title co-feature, “Mikey” Garcia initially weighed in a quarter-pound heavy but came back to make 126 on his second try. Opponent Bernabe Concepcion weighed 125.5.

What an amazing fight in San Juan, Puerto Rico and the crowd inside the Coliseo Roberto Clemente is stunned.

Orlando 'Siri' Salido knocks out Juan Manuel 'JuanMa' Lopez in the 10th round to retain his WBO Featherweight title and also chalk another win in the Mexico-Puerto Rico rivalry for Mexico.

The scores from the fight before the stoppage were shocking to me: 86-84 twice for Lopez and 85-85 via DanRafael's chat.
    http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/42865

There's no way I saw Lopez leading the fight before the stoppage from those two scorecards. I had it 86-84 for Salido before the stoppage.

Round 1 was Salido's 10-9. His short left hook gave him the edge.

Round 2 was Salido's 10-9 for backing up Lopez with his right hand followed by a left hook and a left uppercut.

Round 3 was Salido's 10-9 for backing up Lopez again with the lefts and rights that made the Puerto Rican retreat to the ropes.

Round 4 was JuanMa's 10-9 for his jab that created swelling in Siri's left eye.

Round 5 was JuanMa's 10-8. Lopez was about to lose another round thanks to Salido's right hands, body work and a left hook. But a little right hook connected for JuanMa and scored the first knockdown of the fight.

Round 6 was Salido's 10-9. He's just plastering Lopez with that big right hand and driving him back to the ropes. Lopez's punches looked like it had no bite other than the fourth and fifth rounds.

Round 7 was Salido's 10-9 for his left hooks to set up his right, left blows despite JuanMa having a little rally in the end.

Round 8 was Salido's 10-9 for doing more damage while countering and a huge combination that gave Lopez fits and a countering left hook.

Round 9 was JuanMa's 10-9. Lopez went for broke and he did to the body. Salido's eyes were all swelled up. Lopez had his second wind and fired away before Salido landed two uppercuts. Round 9 has an early argument for Round of the Year.

Round 10, a big right uppercut from Salido caught Lopez and JuanMa can't even get up.

After the fight, Lopez blamed the referee for stopping the fight because of gambling problems and he thought he was dominating the fight.

Please JuanMa, give me a break. He was woozy and walked like he was out of pub after drinking one too many beers.

That post-fight interview was the worst I've ever seen in any fight game. Even worse than Victor Ortiz's post-fight interview after his KO loss to Marcos Maidana.

JuanMa blaming the referee for the stoppage because he had gambling problems? His reputation and legacy is tarnished forever. That was a good stoppage and JuanMa, you got beat up to a pulp. Once again, your lack of defense costs you again against Salido.

Anyways, a great fight and an early candidate for Fight of the Year and Round 9 of this fight is an early candidate for Round of the Year.

A major loss in the boxing coverage world: Bert Sugar dies from cardiac arrest
    http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...diac-arrest-75

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Yes...a legend has passed...there will never be another like him.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/...ugar-has-died/
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Before you watch Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Miguel Cotto hook it up on Cinco de Mayo, step in their lives before they step in the ring with Mayweather-Cotto 24/7 starting April 14 on HBO
    http://www.boxingnews24.com/2012/04/...-night-on-hbo/

Episode 2 is on April 21, Episode 3 is on April 28 and Episode 4 is on May 4.

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    Before you watch Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Miguel Cotto hook it up on Cinco de Mayo, step in their lives before they step in the ring with Mayweather-Cotto 24/7 starting April 14 on HBO
    http://www.boxingnews24.com/2012/04/...-night-on-hbo/

Episode 2 is on April 21, Episode 3 is on April 28 and Episode 4 is on May 4.
    Love the 24/7 series.

It's amazing how unlikable Floyd is. I know he always has been but it's incredible to hear and watch him act like a total a$$hat on that show for an uninterrupted 30 minutes...

Hello my fellow boxing fans and pundits,

I was in town in Vegas for vacation. I went to the UStream live press conference for the Floyd Mayweather Jr. v. Miguel Cotto fight that is happening on Cinco de Mayo.

I took some pics including with Oscar de la Hoya where Golden Boy Promotions is also promoting the fight as Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez takes on 'Sugar' Shane Mosley.

Floyd even said, "Pacquiao, you're next."

As for the two fights, I think Canelo will knock out Mosley in the 7th round unless I see Mosley pull a upset rabbit out of the hat like he did with Antonio Margarito.

For the Mayweather Jr./Cotto fight, it depends on which Cotto shows up. Is it the Cotto who bludgeoned Margarito in the second fight and his wins over Mosley by ripping body shots or is it the Cotto who was knocked out by both Margarito in fight #1 and against Manny Pacquiao?

I think for Cotto to get a win, he needs to get inside and rip body shots and get Floyd against the ropes.

However, Mayweather Jr. has better movement laterally and also head, has a quicker, snapper jab that can keep Cotto at bay and a deadly right counter shot.

Also, Mayweather can either counterpunch or even go forward like he did against Victor Ortiz.

Hopefully, it is a good fight since Cotto is a warrior and Money May is the best slickster with pop in the game, but I say Mayweather Jr. wins via unanimous decision.

Rinse and repeat...Too much class from Floyd
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

Wake me up when we get Floyd/Pacquiao. Its the only fight anyone cares about seeing.

I'm back from watching the fight via CCTV in Las Vegas.

We have a new champion in the 154 lb. division and it was Floyd 'Money' Mayweather Jr. via unanimous decision over a gritty, gutty, gutsy Miguel Cotto.

I had it 116-112 for Floyd.

Cotto gave Floyd a challenge by pushing Floyd back to the ropes and landing some body shots, but Floyd made adjustments and landed a tad more combinations especially in the "championship" rounds and landed hard counters including some nasty uppercuts that rocked Cotto in Round 12.

Now the question is, who's next for Floyd?

Many fight fans want to see Floyd taking on Manny Pacquiao. However, there are some obstacles facing the Filipino slugger.

#1. The Pacman has to go through Timothy Bradley on June 9th.

#2 If Pacquiao and Floyd really face each other, will they agree on a catchweight fight and a venue? In my mind, I don't see Manny, if he gets by Bradley, moving up in weight, and Floyd, since he beat Cotto, moving down and agreeing on a catchweight fight at 150.

#3 Manny is facing a much skillful, talented fighter with a longer reach, quicker jab and a guy who has the quickness to adjust to anything.

I think if Manny vs. Floyd is really drop dead, I think it will be the rising Mexican star, Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez that will take on Money May.

Alvarez gave future Hall of Fame 'Sugar' Shane Mosley all he can handle with his speed and power even though Mosley tried to fight back with everything he can. However, Canelo rocked and thwarted Mosley's every move.

So, who's next for Floyd? We don't know, but we all know, he's still undefeated.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Wake me up when we get Floyd/Pacquiao. Its the only fight anyone cares about seeing.
    I'll be stunned if both Manny Pacquiao, if he gets by Timothy Bradley on June 9th, and Floyd Mayweather Jr. really agreed on these terms if I was stepping in as arbitrator and shutting both camps especially Manny's promoter at Top Rank Bob Arum and Mayweather's adviser Leonard Ellerbe.

Fight takes place: Late November-Early December 2012

Venue: A temporary super arena at the Las Vegas Strip

Drug Testing: Random Olympic style

Weight class: Catchweight at 152 (No title at stake)

Purse Split: 57 for the winner and 43 for the loser

Judges: hire three unknown judges that neither boxer doesn't know

I think we might see Canelo taking on Floyd.

Well, one major fight to watch in boxing in 2012 has been called off:

The rematch between current unified WBA (Super) and IBF Light Welterweight Champion and D.C. native Lamont Peterson and British star Amir Khan was cancelled after Peterson tested positive for a banned substance and denied a license by the NSAC.

The fight would've taken place on May 19th.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...AU_story.html; http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...s_SectionFront

Lamont Peterson issues statement on positive drug test that prevented his rematch with Amir Khan
    http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/p...sues-statement

The promo for Manny Pacquiao/Timothy Bradley 24/7 that starts on May 19th leading up to their June 9th fight on HBO PPV.

Another huge fight in 2012 is in jeopardy: Andre Berto-Victor Ortiz rematch up in the air after Berto tests positive
    http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...match-jeopardy

Paul 'The Punisher' Williams hurt in motorcycle accident; September 15th fight with Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez cancelled
    http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...-georgia-crash

Get well soon Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    I wish this surprised me.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

Hanging up the gloves: Both Shane Mosley and Winky Wright retire from boxing

Sugar Shane:
    http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...etirement-ring

Winky:
    http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...ck-ends-defeat

Thread Information