+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 88 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing, anyone?

Yankee Stadium: 1923-2008 DiMaggio5CF's Avatar

Re: Boxing, anyone?

Did anyone hear Floyd Mayweather pick the Patriots during his fight on Saturday night?

The fight was getting boring (with Mayweather dominating), and so Jim Lampley asked Roy Jones who he liked in Sunday's AFC Championship Game. Mayweather heard the question, looked over, and said "the Patriots."

Lampley commented on it, and then later asked Mayweather -- still during the fight -- about the NFC Championship game, to which Mayweather responded that he liked Michael Vick.
    27-Time World Champions

Quote Originally Posted by DiMaggio5CF
    Did anyone hear Floyd Mayweather pick the Patriots during his fight on Saturday night?

The fight was getting boring (with Mayweather dominating), and so Jim Lampley asked Roy Jones who he liked in Sunday's AFC Championship Game. Mayweather heard the question, looked over, and said "the Patriots."

Lampley commented on it, and then later asked Mayweather -- still during the fight -- about the NFC Championship game, to which Mayweather responded that he liked Michael Vick.
    That's hilarious. I like Mayweather. I heard he's moving up a class, looking for fights against De La Hoya (who's moving down) and Cory Spinks, etc.
    Check out this sports site: [URL=http://www.bobbybs.net][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=4]Bobby B's Sports Guide - Home of the Beer Boys[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]

NYYF Legend

I would like to see a Bernard Hopkins - Jermaine Taylor fight.
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by PlsDontTearDownY.S.
    You have to check out the Arturo Gatti/Jesse James Leija welterweight title fight. Two warriors, and two of the classiest fighters in the sport. You will like this one, it's not heavys, but I guarantee you there will be way more action than any heavyweight fight. January 29 on HBO.

And here we go! Gatti - Leija tonight. I'm going with Gatti, because he's better at this stage of his career than Leija and also because I can't remember the last time a fighter repped Jersey like Arturo Gatti.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

How old is Gatti?

I've seen a coupe articles recently referring to him as "up and coming," but I thought the guy was pretty old. Seems like he's been around forever.

NYYF Legend

He's 31 ....and he knocked out Leija in the fifth round. Once again, Gatti gave the Jersey faithful what they came for. Next up is pretty boy Floyd Mayweather on or about June 11th, and I expect this fight to take place up in JERSEY again. Mayweather's kidding himself if he thinks this thing is going to happen on the west coast, he got 3000 people for his last fight, and I doubt if anyone outside of real boxing fans knows that it even happened.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

He's 31 ....and he knocked out Leija in the fifth round. Once again, Gatti gave the Jersey faithful what they came for. Next up is pretty boy Floyd Mayweather on or about June 11th, and I expect this fight to take place up in JERSEY again. Mayweather's kidding himself if he thinks this thing is going to happen on the west coast, he got 3000 people for his last fight, and I doubt if anyone outside of real boxing fans knows that it even happened.
    Mayweather is the most skilful boxer out there right now by a mile. But because the big fights are at higher weights than his natural weight, he's had to bulk up to make the big money. Only problem is, he's lost his pop and can't KO people anymore, so he's always going to have to nick a points win. This unfortunately means the best boxer of his generation can't be seen at his very best any more, which is a real shame.

NYYF Legend

Gatti looked fantastic in that fight. I'm really excited to see a Gatti-Mayweather fight and will definitely be rooting for Gatti big time. I think he can pull off the upset and will definitely put some money on it. My friend bet $200 that Gatti would KO or TKO Leija before the 9th round and won $480 on it. Lucky bastard.
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by English Yankee
    Mayweather is the most skilful boxer out there right now by a mile. But because the big fights are at higher weights than his natural weight, he's had to bulk up to make the big money. Only problem is, he's lost his pop and can't KO people anymore, so he's always going to have to nick a points win. This unfortunately means the best boxer of his generation can't be seen at his very best any more, which is a real shame.
    This is true, the same thing happened to Sugar Shane, if he would have stayed at 135 he could have been the best lightweight ever. It happens to a lot of these guys, it's like they are on this un-natural climb to the middleweight division, when most of them are clearly not cut out for it. Example: De La Hoya had no business fighting Hopkins at 160.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

NYYF Legend

I need some input from the boxing savvy people out there:

When I'm out in Vegas for March Madness, Morales will be fighting Pacquiao. Tickets are still available. My boys and I are thinking about going, but the cheapest seats are $75.00 (plus about $10 in ticketmaster charges)

Is this fight worth seeing? I seem to remember one of these guys being pretty legit...and I've heard of both, but I'm not sure it will be worth it.

Input, please!
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch
    I need some input from the boxing savvy people out there:

When I'm out in Vegas for March Madness, Morales will be fighting Pacquiao. Tickets are still available. My boys and I are thinking about going, but the cheapest seats are $75.00 (plus about $10 in ticketmaster charges)

Is this fight worth seeing? I seem to remember one of these guys being pretty legit...and I've heard of both, but I'm not sure it will be worth it.

Input, please!

That could be the fight of the year...you gotta do it. Tink of it this way, Knicks tickets are like four times as much and the product is not even half as good.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

NYYF Legend

That could be the fight of the year...you gotta do it. Tink of it this way, Knicks tickets are like four times as much and the product is not even half as good.
    Tell me some stuff about the fighters- include your opinions, too...

NYYF Legend

Erik Morales fought three wars against Marco Antonio Barrera, and the first one was the fight of the year in 2000, IMO...Morales has a head like a cannonball, his chin is like iron. Real deceptive hand speed too.

Manny Pacquiao is pretty much the most exciting fighter right now, it's like watching the old Knockout Kings game when he fights... he throws endless punches and he's got the stamina and speed to do it the whole fight. But his last big fight was a disputed draw over Juan Manuel Marquez, and he lost some of the shine he had after the ridiculous video game style beatdown he gave to the same Marco Antonio Barrera that just beat Morales. My guess is he will get it back but if anyone can take the punishment, it's Erik Morales, he never goes down.

These are two of the most exciting fighters in the sport, and this fight is a can't miss.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

You can never be sure but on paper it's one of the top two or three fights of the year.

NYYF Legend

Erik Morales fought three wars against Marco Antonio Barrera, and the first one was the fight of the year in 2000, IMO...Morales has a head like a cannonball, his chin is like iron. Real deceptive hand speed too.

Manny Pacquiao is pretty much the most exciting fighter right now, it's like watching the old Knockout Kings game when he fights... he throws endless punches and he's got the stamina and speed to do it the whole fight. But his last big fight was a disputed draw over Juan Manuel Marquez, and he lost some of the shine he had after the ridiculous video game style beatdown he gave to the same Marco Antonio Barrera that just beat Morales. My guess is he will get it back but if anyone can take the punishment, it's Erik Morales, he never goes down.

These are two of the most exciting fighters in the sport, and this fight is a can't miss.
    Excellent. Great points. You've sold me. We're going.

Good looking, kid.

NYYF Legend

But his last big fight was a disputed draw over Juan Manuel Marquez,
    That was a BS draw. One of the judges that scored it a draw did so because he didn't know it was allowed to score a round 10-7 when there were 3 knockdowns in the first round.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    That was a BS draw. One of the judges that scored it a draw did so because he didn't know it was allowed to score a round 10-7 when there were 3 knockdowns in the first round.
    Pacquiao won the fight, but he didn't do enough after the first round to leave no question about it. I give Marquez all the credit in the world for bouncing back but Pacquiao should have kept the pressure on him. He got complacent.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

Pacquiao won the fight, but he didn't do enough after the first round to leave no question about it. I give Marquez all the credit in the world for bouncing back but Pacquiao should have kept the pressure on him. He got complacent.
    I agree. But Marquez used his boxing skills to outwork Pacquiao in the later rounds, which is probably what Morales will do to him. I think "El Terrible" gets it done, and sets up a fight with Diego Corrales at the end of the year.

Judah v. Spinks II tonight for the undisputed welterweight title. I see Super Zab winning the fight on points. If Tszyu gets past Hatton, or rather WHEN he gets past Hatton, a rematch between the two would be interesting, especially with Oscar back at 147lb. possibly fighting the winner.

Manny should beat Morales. Erik is tough to beat, though and it should be a slam bang fight. Nice to know there are some fight fans here. My grandpa was Dempsey and Tunney's sparring partner and he started me on boxing before I was three!

NYYF Legend

Judah beat the ish out of Spinks! 9th round TKO for Judah...no way I thought that was happening. That was a huge bounceback win for Judah.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

After watching Hopkins v Eastman on HBO last night, I think Jermain Taylor is ready to dethrone the P4P champ. Hopkins may be a counter-puncher, but Taylor would be too quick for him. Plus, his jab would give Hopkins fits.

Hopkins should call it a day at 160lbs and go to 175 and take on the winner of the Tarver v Johnson re-match.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by FoodNetwork
    After watching Hopkins v Eastman on HBO last night, I think Jermain Taylor is ready to dethrone the P4P champ. Hopkins may be a counter-puncher, but Taylor would be too quick for him. Plus, his jab would give Hopkins fits.

Hopkins should call it a day at 160lbs and go to 175 and take on the winner of the Tarver v Johnson re-match.
    My guess is Hopkins would be favored. Depending on the odds, I'd consider betting on Jermaine Taylor. But, it will be tough for me to bet against a guy that hasn't been knocked down in over a decade. Plus, Bernard Hopkins is one of the smartest boxers in the game.

NYYF Legend

No way man. Go to the light heavy division for what? There's no money there. Tarver is not a big draw, and Glen Johnson is less of a draw. Look at it from Hopkins' perspective: he is the king of the middleweight division. Unified champ. He could go down as the best Middleweight ever, why should he move up to fight some nondescript light heavys like Tarver and Johnson? I could maybe see it if Roy Jones Jr was still around and effective.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

No way man. Go to the light heavy division for what? There's no money there. Tarver is not a big draw, and Glen Johnson is less of a draw. Look at it from Hopkins' perspective: he is the king of the middleweight division. Unified champ. He could go down as the best Middleweight ever, why should he move up to fight some nondescript light heavys like Tarver and Johnson? I could maybe see it if Roy Jones Jr was still around and effective.
    I agree about Tarver, but Glen Johnson was fighter of the year in '04, and the Tarver/Johnson fight had a good gate at Staples Center. I think a following is building for Johnson, so combine that with HBO's money and Golden Boy's ability to promote, and there could be a buzz about this fight were it to happen.

The best middleweight ever was Sugar Ray Robinson-even Hopkins admitted that last week on-air. Personally, Marvelous Marvin Hagler was the best middleweight I ever saw.

NYYF Legend

I agree about Tarver, but Glen Johnson was fighter of the year in '04, and the Tarver/Johnson fight had a good gate at Staples Center. I think a following is building for Johnson, so combine that with HBO's money and Golden Boy's ability to promote, and there could be a buzz about this fight were it to happen.

The best middleweight ever was Sugar Ray Robinson-even Hopkins admitted that last week on-air. Personally, Marvelous Marvin Hagler was the best middleweight I ever saw.

Hagler / Hopkins would be a dream match. Did you see the Cotto/Corley fight last night?
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

Thread Information