+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Addicted Member

The official...the Curse isn't dead yet thread.

Sure we just got our asses handed to us on a plate....but remember Boston has to win it all to end the curse. It's not going to be easy either way. Let's look at the matchups:

Cardinals:

The team with the best record in baseball has a fearsome lineup of hitters. Pujols, Rolen, Renteria, Sanders, Walker, and Edmonds. The first four of which are right handed batters. This could be a major advantage when playing in Boston. I can see them dinging doubles of the wall right now. Their starting pitching isn't too good but they do have Isringhausen closing.

Houston:

Beltran, Berkman, Biggio, Bagwell, and Kent. More right handed hitters hitting the green monster. They also have better starters.....Hello Roger!!!! Their big weakness is their bullpen though.

Other notes:

Boston also doesn't get the DH for 3 games....this means they lose Ortiz. This is huge. HUGE!

Manny has been cold all series. If you remember correctly, he was cold all series last year against NY too. I'm suspecting he doesn't show up for big games. This may be a huge loss for Boston.

Also, Boston is on a hot streak right now. Nothing kills a hot streak faster than not playing. They will be off for 2 days in a row.

NYYF Legend

You know what I honestly dont care.
    Boston might as well win, they are bound to win sometime let us just get it over with so we dont have to hear "This is the year" again.

NYYF Legend

I really don't care who wins the World Series. I agree with A-Rod ... "I'm not gonna watch baseball till Spring Training."

Forum Regular
    sleep well tonight :rolleyes:

I would like to make the obligatory....

"so this is the official one?" comment.

Originally posted by -tz
    I really don't care who wins the World Series. I agree with A-Rod ... "I'm not gonna watch baseball till Spring Training."
    Funny, I don't think he's played it since Saturday....

Yeah, the season just ended. Let's go 2005 Yankees.

Devoted Member

Patrolling Fenway's Right Field Grandstand
    Ummm... there was no curse to begin with. Congratulations on a hard-fought series, don't denegrate your own team by resorting to a myth... the Yanks played hard, the Sox were just better in the end.

Never was a curse. Can't kill something that never existed.

If there ever was anything resembling a curse, it had nothing to do with the Babe, it had to do with inept Boston ownership and management. Those days appear to be over in Boston.

Released Outright Calvin and Hobbes's Avatar

Re: The official...the Curse isn't dead yet thread.

Originally posted by wabio

Boston also doesn't get the DH for 3 games....this means they lose Ortiz. This is huge. HUGE!
    They'll lose Millar. This is decidedly less than huge.

For 'The Curse' to be dead, the Sux have to win the World Series. That wont happen. This will just be another chapter in the losing tradition of the Sux and it will be extremely enjoyable to watch.

Originally posted by Howard Spira
    sleep well tonight :rolleyes:
    :rolleyes: right back at ya.

NYYF Legend

I tip my hat to them. They made the right moves, got the big hits and threw the clutch pitches. That said, I would LOVE to see them drop the series. It's won't be the first time they finished ahead of us only to lose the world series.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

NYYF Triple Crown

New York City, The greatest city in the entire world!!
    Well it aint over til it's over. The Red Sox definately has to win the Series for the curse to be broken. If they lose the World Series, we could still say, 1918. Let's see what happens.

Released Outright
    Originally posted by ChocolateGirl
    Well it aint over til it's over. The Red Sox definately has to win the Series for the curse to be broken. If they lose the World Series, we could still say, 1918. Let's see what happens.
    and now red sox fans can say "2004" everytime we play the yankees....turnabout is fair play, right?

Forum Regular

Originally posted by sox jedi 14
    Ummm... there was no curse to begin with. Congratulations on a hard-fought series, don't denegrate your own team by resorting to a myth... the Yanks played hard, the Sox were just better in the end.
    No, the Yankees just choked for four games in a row.

Four bucks and two underground trains away from my Bleacher seat
    Originally posted by sox jedi 14
    Sure there was a curse, of sorts, and for the moment there still is.

No, of course it wasn't anything mystical; the Babe and all the rest are more the symbols of the underlying factors, and totems for the fans.

It's just been a lot of mistakes and bad management and lack of funding in Boston over the years, coupled with a lot of free spending and emphasis on winning in New York over the years, both of which consistently attracted great players.

This further snowballed into a psychological advantage for the Yankees. Boston has definitely taken a lot of that away for now.

And Boston--which has, to its credit, "reversed" some of its previous tendencies, like focusing too much on hitting and not enough on pitching and defense--may also, as a result, go on to win one or more World Series, this year or soon afterwards. Thus will they be able to "Reverse the Curse" of having no World Series titles in 86 years.

But that still has to happen on the field.

I absolutely guarantee that if the Sox lose the World Series this year, and then don't get back soon, losing to the Yankees a time or two along the way, the Curse will start to seem all too real again. And perception can be reality.
    Livin' large = girlfriend with YES* *And TBS.

Originally posted by 37Feet

and now red sox fans can say "2004" everytime we play the yankees....turnabout is fair play, right?
    If the Sox lose the Series, it'll sound a bit silly.

You didn't hear Yankee fans saying "2003" this year during Yankees/Sox games, did you?

Released Outright
    There is no curse (although I like to pretend there is b/c it seems to bug a lot of the Sox fans lol), the Sox have just sucked and sucked and sucked for a long ass time. May it continue this season as hopefully the Cards or Stros win it all!

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by MiamiKat

If the Sox lose the Series, it'll sound a bit silly.

You didn't hear Yankee fans saying "2003" this year during Yankees/Sox games, did you?
    same amount of syllables as 1918, but not the same ring to it.
    NYYFFFL: Impact Litigators

Give me a break

>Manny has been cold all series. If you remember correctly, he was cold all series last year against NY too. I'm suspecting he doesn't show up for big games.

Yeah....kinda like A-Rod.

Addicted Member

Re: Give me a break

Originally posted by Sox_Fan_1918
    >Manny has been cold all series. If you remember correctly, he was cold all series last year against NY too. I'm suspecting he doesn't show up for big games.

Yeah....kinda like A-Rod.

You know what. Go troll elsewhere. You should be banned. Dip.................

NYYF Legend

Let this Curse crap go. Seriously. I'm a Yankee fan and I'm tired of hearing about it.

If the Sox go on and win the Series I'm fine with it. Their fans have earned it a million times over.

I would think that after the kick in the nuts we just took we would have a better understanding what its like to be a Red Sox fan.

Let it die people. The rivalry is still intense without it.

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by wileedog
    Let this Curse crap go. Seriously. I'm a Yankee fan and I'm tired of hearing about it.

If the Sox go on and win the Series I'm fine with it. Their fans have earned it a million times over.

I would think that after the kick in the nuts we just took we would have a better understanding what its like to be a Red Sox fan.

Well said, wileedog. The Red Sox fans deserve a winner, once in a while.
    “I love winning man! It’s like, better than LOSING!” ~ Ebby Calvin “Nuke” LaLoosh

Originally posted by wileedog

Sorry, can't agree. As someone who's seen plenty of Yankee championships over the years, I have very little left to keep me fine-tuned in this game. If there's no more 1918, my interest in baseball drops 5 notches. GO NL!
    Let the kids play.

Thread Information