+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Pedro's press conference

Question - What did you think of the "who's your daddy" chant?

Pedro - It made me feel really good. I dont like to brag, but I am so thankful they got my attention, and I got their attention.
    MLB on FOX blackouts - NO MORE!!

NYYF HOF

It sounded egotistical, but I think I understand what he meant by it when he said how he came from nothing, but today he had the full attention of 60,000 fans. I actually think that was a great answer.

Feeding off of fan reaction (whether negative or positive) is a good thing for any athlete...look at Jeter.
    Congratulations Mike Mussina on your 20th win!

NYYF Triple Crown

His answer was very honest, but I feel like he wants to come here.

I think pedro handled that question pretty well, and saved a lot face in the way of public opinion, especially in the city of Boston and with his teamates

I think pedro just used the words "Mango tree" on national TV.

Seems like Pedro is pulling a Mussina from last year when asked about his team scoring runs for him.

2003 Moose - "I can only control 60 feet, 6 inches"

2004 Pedro - "I cant do anything if we dont score runs. I can only pitch. Do whatever possible to keep my team in the game, from there, if up to them."
    MLB on FOX blackouts - NO MORE!!

NYYF Legend

I thought he was amazing! I had no idea he could be that well-spoken!

He said that fifteen years ago, he was sitting under a mango tree without enough money for the bus, and here now he is on the biggest stage in the world at this time ... and for that he has to thank his biggest father, the one who brought him this far!

Originally posted by Mattpat11
    I think pedro just used the words "Mango tree" on national TV.
    Twice!

By the way, what's with the toned down hair?

NYYF Legend

His closing remarks in response to the last question that was asked him really really made me see Pedro differently. I have the utmost respect for him after that response. He may be a clown, but he's a clown who knows where he came from and is thankful for where he is now and how he got there. I don't know about anyone else, but I tip my cap to that.
    NYYFFFL: Impact Litigators

Pedro seemed to be in very high spirits. If I came home and didn't know the outcome and just saw this conference I woulda thought the Sox had won.
    *** 18 - 0 ***
    (asterisks and all!)

Lets Get This Dog To Hunt! 51BWilliams's Avatar
    Originally posted by ChiPhiYank77
    I think pedro handled that question pretty well, and saved a lot face in the way of public opinion, especially in the city of Boston and with his teamates
    I think that was more of a 'better watch my mouth and make a situation that makes me look really bad not seem so bad' conference. Had he gone out there an made an ass out of himself again, he would be tarred and feathered as they stuck him under the fingernails with bamboo shoots.
    (Disclaimer: This post not subject to the irony of statements like 'Be careful what you wish for'. I will not be bitten in the ass without prior written consent)

West Milford NJ- Hangin with the Bears in my Yard!!!
    Originally posted by yankee maniac

Twice!

Part of his tryout for the Yankees. Get rid of the Geri Curl than you can think about being a Yankee!
    Isn't there enough hot air in Washington without Schilling? Joel Sherman NY Post 3-13-2005

Originally posted by -tz
    I thought he was amazing! I had no idea he could be that well-spoken!

He said that fifteen years ago, he was sitting under a mango tree without enough money for the bus, and here now he is on the biggest stage in the world at this time ... and for that he has to thank his biggest father, the one who brought him this far!
    Agreed. I'm totally impressed.

I've read that he's a really bright, sensitive guy, and it totally showed with that press conference.

Maybe The Boss should make a run for him next year after all...

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    I honestly don't think Pedro is phased even in the slightest by the fan's cheers, if anything I think he feeds on it.
    Life is good!

Wow, I've never seen Pedro like that. He was soft and well spoken, humble, willing to answer all the questions that were thrown at him and very respectful. It can't be easy to lose a game like this (where he pitched well enough to win) and he handled it with dignity. I especially liked when he told the media not to laugh until he was done with his answer. I believe that some players DO respond to the crowd's insults. Like Jeter (or maybe Reggie) said "they don't boo nobodies." Well done Pedro, and I'm so glad we beat you . Let's get 2 more wins...
    Those who flee temptation generally leave a forwarding address.

Pedro: "I don't like to talk about myself"...

In answering the question as to how he felt when they were chanting "Who's Your Daddy?", he claimed it made him feel good because it made him feel important. 'I'm not the kind of person that likes to talk about myself, but that made me feel pretty important'. Well, it sounded a bit disingenous to me as I recall his famous quote:

'Who is Karim Garcia? I don't know who he is? I am who I am... he should try to bring himself up to my level'

As if someone so beneath him should not be allowed to even speak his name. Humility is not exactly the first quality I think of when the name Pedro Martinez crosses my mind.
    "He knew, as he went after that ball, that he had a decision to make," said Tony Clark, who watched the play unfold from first base. "Either you let the ball drop and try to minimize the damage, or you make the catch and pay the consequences. He knew that, no doubt about it, and he chose B."

NYYF HOF

Originally posted by DaBoys4LifeNYY35
    His closing remarks in response to the last question that was asked him really really made me see Pedro differently.
    Same here, at least off the field lol.

Originally posted by yankee maniac
    Pedro Martinez, the Post-Shower version.

That was a pretty good press conference. Instead of snapping at the reporter bringing up the Daddy thing, he turned it around and made himself look good.

That takes skills. Heh.

Right near old St. Patricks and NYC's oldest manhole cover
    Originally posted by MiamiKat

Agreed. I'm totally impressed.

I've read that he's a really bright, sensitive guy, and it totally showed with that press conference.

Maybe The Boss should make a run for him next year after all...
    Yeah. He's a pretty darn good interview, and seems pretty bright and sensitive.

NYYF Legend

he didn't sound egotistical at all, i thought he came off very humble and thankful for the opportunities that he has been given, if anything he sounded like a defeated man, who appreciates making it up the mountain, but not to the top, he is a God-fearing man, and thats the way he came off. i personally like him alot better (and not that i am a religious guy), he just sounded honest, he didn't make excuses, was thankful for the chance to play baseball and even be on that stage. Again he sounded like a defeated warrior, not a egomaniac. And he did come off real smart and sensitive, and i would be willing to sign him after that, because i think he has figured out thisis the only place he can win.

Pedro's post game comments

I never thought I'd ever say something like this, but after watching Pedro's post game interview I gained a measure of respect for him.

NYYF Legend

Why/how should he be excited in that interview? He seemed to be very low-key....as he should be...after gettting his butt kicked.
    Don't let Pedro fool ya....he loves to 'play'....with the media, with the fans, with the opposing batters.
    'Dumb like a fox'....that's Pedro. Been doing it for years..
    And.... NO....I do not EVER want him in 'stripes.

NYYF Legend

Wrong forum but I agree. I liked what he said. He is always a guy that puts the blame on himself, which I respect.
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

That's the first time I've seen "sane" pedro in a LONG time.

Thread Information