+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 14 15 16 17
    Originally posted by NDBoston
    Right now Oakland is one game behind the Twins. They or the Angels could pass the Twins for the #2 seed.
    I had responded earlier and then later deleted it, but you're absolutely correct.

The Twins are also facing none other than the Yankees over the next three games.

Either way, I like their chances in a short series. In the ALCS, you'd obviously have to give the edge to Boston or New York, whichever it happens to be assuming they get out of the ALDS themselves.

Still, Tito should seriously considering resting Pedro for the rest of the season. He's been a workhorse this year, but he's beginning to lose his stuff (and confidence, it seems). Maybe a tune-up couldn't hurt, but if I remember correctly, when he had that extended break back in July, he cameback in his start against Anaheim throwing 95 mph in the 1st inning and had no problem keeping it there all night. I remember a quote from Jose Guillen saying how it took them completely by surprise with Pedro coming out throwing 95, 96, 97...

Released Outright
    I can't believe Millar was able to bait the umps to get Kazmir tossed. Further proves he's a low class punk. I really hate this guy.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!
    Do you think they talk about the Yankees around you because you're a Yankee fan?
    Who said it was about me? I don't remember saying anything about that. I also don't get this answering a question with a question.

I thought they were getting a little too "in your face" with all the hollering and hooping it up. Can they just act like *VISITORS* to a Yankee site? That's what I was referring to. Or what did you think I was referring to, based upon your question of an answer?
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Originally posted by Jersey Yankee
    Who said it was about me? I don't remember saying anything about that. I also don't get this answering a question with a question.

I thought they were getting a little too "in your face" with all the hollering and hooping it up. Can they just act like *VISITORS* to a Yankee site? That's what I was referring to. Or what did you think I was referring to, based upon your question of an answer?
    I was having a discussion with NYSITH about the people he works with in an office at work. Those comments were to him.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Those comments weren't to you.

I was having a discussion with Yanksfan24 about the people he works with in an office at work. Those comments were to him

I have no idea what you're talking about.
    Well, you did reply to me, so that's why I replied back. If you were posting to someone else, then I figure you might have clicked on the wrong post, since I did see you backquote me a few pages ago. Something like page 11 or so.

If not intended to me, but to another poster, then don't worry about it.

PS,

It was on page 12 here that you'd quoted me:

http://www.nyyfans.com/forums/showth...postid=1609942 (scroll to the 9:15pm ET post of yours)
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Originally posted by RedSoxGirl
    You hit the nail right on the head. A lot of the clique there think it's a badge of honor because they're allowed to post. Go into the chat, if you don't know someone's RPI when it's cloudy outside, you're considered an idiot and not worthy to be there.
    What's RPI?

Originally posted by Jersey Yankee
    What's RPI?
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/rpi

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/rpi
    I see the Yanks are in 3rd, behind the Cards and guess who?

Now, is RPI supposed to be a team's offensive output or something? What's the formula? Is that a SABR term or something?

Me, I like when a team wins 1- or 2-run games, so no big formula guy here.

I gotta run now.

Won't scruple to squash Prickly Pete's Avatar
    Originally posted by kennyl

Maybe when you get to the playoffs 10 years in a row celebrating getting there gets a tad tiring and actually begins to appear foolish. We celebrate when we win meaningful things like ALCS clinchers and Wolrd Series
    Is that true? The Yankees don't even celebrate winning the division any more? Wow. I didn't realize that.

I seem to remember a few years ago, I think it was 2000 when the Yanks had a dismal September and actually clinched the division on a night they lost (because the Sox also lost) and Joe Torre said he had to tell the team that it was OK to celebrate -- that he WANTED them to celebrate.

I remember him saying that it was important for them to blow off some steam and enjoy winning the division because he thought that actually helped them to relax and get ready for the playoffs -- you know, just let go of the tension and stress of the regular season and move on.

I haven't paid any attention to it the last few years, but they don't do that any more?

NYYF Cy Young

Originally posted by Prickly Pete

Is that true? The Yankees don't even celebrate winning the division any more? Wow. I didn't realize that.

I seem to remember a few years ago, I think it was 2000 when the Yanks had a dismal September and actually clinched the division on a night they lost (because the Sox also lost) and Joe Torre said he had to tell the team that it was OK to celebrate -- that he WANTED them to celebrate.

I remember him saying that it was important for them to blow off some steam and enjoy winning the division because he thought that actually helped them to relax and get ready for the playoffs -- you know, just let go of the tension and stress of the regular season and move on.

I haven't paid any attention to it the last few years, but they don't do that any more?
    In all honesty, the division celebrations are short lived and really just a formality. It is my belief that the champagne and stuff is just done for the Yes Network cameras. This team does not expect to miss the playoffs. You are correct about that 2000 season, they had an awful stretch in which they lost 15 or 19 or so down the stretch and Torre was trying just about everything to get them settled down and ready for the playoffs.

NYYF MVP

Originally posted by Prickly Pete

They didn't celebrate clinching a playoff spot last week, but I'm sure they will celebrate when they clinch the division.

Thread Information