+ Reply to Thread
    Just Flanders being Flanders. Stupid Flanders's Avatar

Is Rick Peterson available this offseason?

What with Howe gone, can/will Peterson be gone as well?

I'm thinking of fitting him for 'stripes right now.

Addicted Member

well... he did say he could fix zambrano in 10 minutes and instead broke him... or maybe he did that to himself. rick peterson is overrated and the hype has gone to his head. Besides i heard he's the only one the Mets are keeping

Released Outright JavyVazquezIsSick's Avatar
    If God really is a Yankee fan he will...

Just Flanders being Flanders. Stupid Flanders's Avatar
    Originally posted by Kill Lois
    well... he did say he could fix zambrano in 10 minutes and instead broke him... or maybe he did that to himself. rick peterson is overrated and the hype has gone to his head. Besides i heard he's the only one the Mets are keeping
    He seemed to have a good track record with developing young talent back in Oaktown....

Addicted Member

I think I'm quoting joe beningo because I remember him mentioning it, when I say, "why? because he had guys like Mulder, Hudson and Zito? They would've been that good without him" Of course he, and I are speculating but rick hasn't done much for the Mets.

I think I'm quoting joe beningo because I remember him mentioning it, when I say, "why? because he had guys like Mulder, Hudson and Zito? They would've been that good without him" Of course he, and I are speculating but rick hasn't done much for the Mets.
    Yea, Peterson is gone from Oakland now

What happened to Zito, his ERA is over a run higher than his pervious 2 year average

How bout Hudson? His ERA is 4.13, which is not that bad. Then again, his ERA in the month of July was 5.11, his ERA in August was 5.14 and his ERA this month is 7.11. Even Mulder's K/9 rates are down almost a full K compared to his career average.

Pitching coaches are terribly underrated. Look at Leo Mazzone. He is given scrap metal and creates a Corvette out of it
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee
    Who in their right mind would pay several thousand bucks to have some chick poop on their face like a beard?

Just by way of information, the Mets team ERA since the All-Star break is near 5.
    Rocking that "arrogant Yankee fan" attitude.

Originally posted by hellonewman
    Just by way of information, the Mets team ERA since the All-Star break is near 5.
    Much that increase can be attributed to the decline in Glavine's and Leiter's performances. Given their age, I'm not sure there was anything any pitching coach could do about that.
    Fire Cashman!

Originally posted by Rich

Much that increase can be attributed to the decline in Glavine's and Leiter's performances. Given their age, I'm not sure there was anything any pitching coach could do about that.
    Trachsel has also been bad, and in the bullpen, Braden Looper's ERA has risen since ASB as well. The lone bright spot seems to be Kris Benson's recent 2-game hot streak; before that, his ERA had also risen since the ASB.
    Rocking that "arrogant Yankee fan" attitude.

Peterson hasn't done anything to make the Mets better, its all about the horses...

'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

NYYF Cy Young

rick peterson is overrated and the hype has gone to his head.
    i agree with you on this. from what i've heard about him his techniques seem interesting and he did have some great staffs in oakland, but i have the feeling he is not all he is cracked up to be. that being said i would much rather have him than mel anyday.
    Never Trust A Man With No Shirt On

The simple fact with Peterson is: He won't turn dirt into gold. He will turn a very good pitcher into a great pitcher. Peterson harnesses that talent.

If what I hear about Peterson is true, that he has more power than a pitching coach usually has, then he won't fit in with the Yankees. Torre and especially Steinbrenner would never go for that.
    Bern Baby Bern

[URL="http://blog.myspace.com/bern_bern_bern"][/URL]

NYYF Cy Young

You took the words right out of my mouth. He was so hot to get Zambrano, but when Kazmir came up to the big leagues and pitched well while Zambrano was on the DL, Peterson completely disavowed that he had anything to do with the trade. Not exactly a standup guy, IMHO.

Incidentally, Pedro Martinez had nothing but praise and kind words for Kazmir after Scott beat him the other night. Pedro thinks Kazmir's going to be a great pitcher. But the Mets had to get rid of Scott, because he annoyed Al Leiter by playing Eminem in the clubhouse during spring training.

NYYF Legend

he is the ruler of the mets, they listened to him more then they did howe, maybe he will be the coach, they seem to hang on his every word

Overrated. Name one Mets pitcher who is now better since Peterson came on board.

Oh, that's right, the answer is none. It's not that he's a bad pitching coach, it's more that he gets way too much credit for what he did in Oakland. Those guys over there were pretty damn talented. And Zito's slide started last season while Peterson was there.

What has HE done to improve the young arms on the Mets staff? Seo had great promise last year; did Peterson do anything to enhance it? Where's his genius with Heilman? Has he worked magic with Benson, whose era is higher with the Mets? Tyler Yates, who throws smoking heat - why hasn't Peterson worked wonders there?

Last, but certainly not least, Peterson was instrumental in the Mets trading Kazmir for Zambrano. Actually, it was on Peterson's advice that they did trade Kazmir. And Peterson is STILL putting spins on why it was a good deal.

The Mets can keep him.

Dooley

I completely agree. It's like a fad these guru coaches.

Also, I'm no great Mel fan, but actually I don't think he's half as bad as people say he is & I think he's great w/ a veteran staff. Look at all the different looks we can give a team, all of our pitchers have distinctly different styles. I think that's a credit to Mel who tries not mold everyone.

The truth of the matter is the "proper" mechanics of pitching are widely know; it's the willingness of the player to change and the coach to insist on change that's a touchy thing. I think Mel is doing okay.

NYYF Cy Young

Originally posted by ryanm1058123
    The simple fact with Peterson is: He won't turn dirt into gold. He will turn a very good pitcher into a great pitcher. Peterson harnesses that talent.
    This makes the most sense.

I believe I read the Mets are cleaning house and getting rid of the entire coaching staff EXCEPT for Peterson.

It would have been in the washington post, but I have no link to back it up at this time.

EDIT: A little detective work and I found the following. Nothing definative but...

"When Howe is fired, it is expected all the coaches, except pitching coach Rick Peterson, will go with him."
    -Newark Star Ledger, 9/13/04
    http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/inde...9804232480.xml

and also

"Other than pitching coach Rick Peterson, Howe's staff will likely be let go, and Fred Wilpon said there would be "significant changes" in baseball operations."
    -New York Post, 9/15/04
    http://www.nypost.com/sports/28684.htm

Thread Information