+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

Dreifort Tears ACL, Dodgers Have No Defined Setup Man

The worst possible news for the Dodgers tonight. They are now left with rookies Yhency Brazoban and Duaner Sanchez to help Giovanni Carrera get to Gagne'.

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NA...s_la&fext=.jsp

Article details Dreifort's amazing 10 reconstructive operations. Dr. Jobe says, "He has not done well as far as connective tissue."

Worst. Contract. Ever.

Originally posted by Irony Of It All
    Worst. Contract. Ever.
    IDK, Chan Ho Park's is up there

But yeah, the Dodgers really, really screwed themselves. Even if they did get RJ, thats 1 pitcher they have that can probably go 7 or 8 strong innings every time out. Trading Mota has come back to haunt them
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee
    Who in their right mind would pay several thousand bucks to have some chick poop on their face like a beard?

Originally posted by RhodeyYankee2638

IDK, Chan Ho Park's is up there

But yeah, the Dodgers really, really screwed themselves. Even if they did get RJ, thats 1 pitcher they have that can probably go 7 or 8 strong innings every time out. Trading Mota has come back to haunt them
    Chan Ho Park is definitely close as well as Mike Hampton.

I still think the trade was good for the Dodgers because it's a lot harder to find a good young starter and a very good young 1B, than it is to find a 31 year old reliever and a 30 something league average catcher.

I still think the trade was good for the Dodgers because it's a lot harder to find a good young starter and a very good young 1B, than it is to find a 31 year old reliever and a 30 something league average catcher.
    MMM, a good starter that just so happens to be going on the free agent market???????

That 31 year old reliever makes Gagne look even better than he already is. Would you trade Gordon for a free agent pitcher, like Penny?
    Who in their right mind would pay several thousand bucks to have some chick poop on their face like a beard?

Real bad break. The best bullpen in the NL has become average.

I wish him well.

Originally posted by RhodeyYankee2638

MMM, a good starter that just so happens to be going on the free agent market???????

That 31 year old reliever makes Gagne look even better than he already is. Would you trade Gordon for a free agent pitcher, like Penny?
    He's arbitration eligible not a FA.

Mota isn't even as good as he was last year and it's unlikely that he'll start to improve again. Gordon has been either the best or second best reliever in the AL, so no I wouldn't make that trade.

NYYF Legend

I thought that Chan Ho was close, or maybe Carlos Perez, but assuming that Dreifort is done for this year, his deal is in a world of its own.

Through for yers of his five year deal with 13mil still due for 05' , he has pitched only 204 innings. Collecting 42mil means that he has earned more than 200k per inning pitched.

OBTW: I think that they would like Mota back right about now.

He's arbitration eligible not a FA.

Mota isn't even as good as he was last year and it's unlikely that he'll start to improve again. Gordon has been either the best or second best reliever in the AL, so no I wouldn't make that trade.
    Whoops, I'm getting my Marlins mixed up

I don't see a large difference in Mota's stats from this year to last's. It looks like he is basically on pace to put up the same numbers

Originally posted by Socal Pinstriper
    I thought that Chan Ho was close, or maybe Carlos Perez, but assuming that Dreifort is done for this year, his deal is in a world of its own.

Through for yers of his five year deal with 13mil still due for 05' , he has pitched only 204 innings. Collecting 42mil means that he has earned more than 200k pe4r inning pitched.

OBTW: I think that they would like Mota back right about now.
    I've forgotten about Perez, what ever happened to him?

I'm not saying that Mota isn't still a great reliever and that the Dodgers wouldn't want him back, but I am saying I think the Dodgers made a good trade.

Ok, I'm done with hijacking the thread and I'll get back on topic.... Losing Dreifort really sucks because it puts a lot more pressure on Brazoban to step it up when he may not be ready to do so. Hopefully he'll be up to the task because I'm rooting for the Dodgers in the west for reasons unknown to me...

NYYF Legend

I've forgotten about Perez, what ever happened to him?

I'm not saying that Mota isn't still a great reliever and that the Dodgers wouldn't want him back, but I am saying I think the Dodgers made a good trade.

Ok, I'm done with hijacking the thread and I'll get back on topic.... Losing Dreifort really sucks because it puts a lot more pressure on Brazoban to step it up when he may not be ready to do so. Hopefully he'll be up to the task because I'm rooting for the Dodgers in the west for reasons unknown to me...
    Carlos signed a four year 33mil deal after the '99 season. You can see what happened next. Although Baseball Reference doesn't indicate it, I think that the Dodgers paid him through 03'. He has been out of baseball since '01.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/perezca01.shtml

Nobody would have guessed that Penny would be on the DL, and Dreifort would be done for the year less than 3 weeks after the deal. (Although relying on Dreifort's health can only be called less than prudent)

The trade accomplished exactly what DePodesta wanted. They got the FA Penny for FA LoDuca, who they were not going to resign, and they got rid of the 4.45mil that they will owe Encarnacion next year. Choi is a cheap (305k) solution at a position that was a defensive liability.

Emotional Warrior BroadwayBomber55's Avatar
    I wish Darren Dreifort well. Good luck in recovery.

The L.A. Dodgers are really in the hot seat after the Paul Lo Duca-Brad Penny trade.

Brad Penny is banged up and now this.

The Dodgers are under the pump right now.
    It's not the 27 World Championships that drive the New York Yankees. It's the 28th.
    Every year is The Year. Go Yankees.

NYYF Triple Crown

The Dodgers might be under the pump but they have been one of the hottest teams in baseball since the trade - in fact, they've won what, 33 of their last 44? The only other teams with similar records also happen to be leading their divisions in the NL - the Cardinals and the Braves.

Gagne might need to do more 2-inning saves and what not now, but as long as their starters give solid outings, it shouldn't be a problem.

NYYF Legend

BEST NEWS I'VE HEARD ALL... I mean, get well soon, Darren.

He's been anything but money the entire season, with a few exceptions here and there in which he actually lived up to his potentially filthy self. I'm not even going to bother posting his sorry excuses for stats because anyone who's watched LA at all knows what they are by the results on the field. I say give the job to Carrara or Yhency "long fly out" Brazoban until he proves he can't handle it. Or, when Penny/Nomo (I hope not... No Mo' Nomo! please!)/Jackson comes back from the DL, move Alvarez back to the pen and give the set-up job to him. He's the one I wanted to see take over for Mota all along anyway.

My bf keeps arguing with me that no one this side of Mota has the "stuff" to pitch the 8th like Dreifort does, but where did that "stuff" get him or the team? Nowhere. I'd rather have a guy like Yhency come in and get 3 long fly ball outs to end the inning than a guy like Dreifort with all the POTENTIAL in the world but who can't capitalize on it come in and give up 2 hits, 4 walks, and 78 wild pitches in one inning.

Ideally, Gagne is already hard at work teaching Yhency and Duaner that breaking pitch that he taught Mota a few years back that he subsequently mastered. Then we'd be in business.

Seriously, just give the 8th inning job to someone, and let him have it until he proves he can't handle it. I knew the moment we traded Mota that of all the things I absolutely did NOT want to see, it was Dreifort pitching the 8th. JUST SAY NO TO DOUBLE D. I guess that salary of his kinda forced Tracy's hand on that, but now we're rid of that situation. All else fails, Gagne can always pitch 2.
    NYYFFFL: Impact Litigators

Thread Information