Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Yankees Considering Filing an Official Complaint Against Angel Hernandez!

Per ESPN Radio: Brian Cashman considering filing an official complaint against Angel Hernandez for "inappropriate and unprofessional behavior" in Wednesday night's game between the Yankees and the Rangers.

After a close call at 1B, Derek Jeter argued the call with umpire Angel Hernandez. Apparently Angel Hernandez responded to his complaints by saying "[BLEEP] You, you [bleeping][bleep]". Apparently there were several witnesses on the field to the exchange, including the Texas 1Baseman. According to witnesses, Derek Jeter argued the call, but was "by no means in Angel Hernandez's face".

The above was the report. Below is the general gist of the hosts' commentary from Mike & Mike on the show:

'It's about time... this is one of the few umpires in the league who's name you know because he's so bad. Aside from his terrible umpiring, he is also known for inciting players. He has even thrown out fans that are critical of him. He has tried to stare people down in the broadcast booth because it was mentioned that he blew a call. He is one of the least respected umpires in MLB' and it's about time someone did something about it'. Angel Hernandez wants to be noticed... he wants to be part of the show. It's disgraceful.

Gammons is coming on soon and will talk about it. I'll post. I know he's a baffoon, but interested in his take.
    "He knew, as he went after that ball, that he had a decision to make," said Tony Clark, who watched the play unfold from first base. "Either you let the ball drop and try to minimize the damage, or you make the catch and pay the consequences. He knew that, no doubt about it, and he chose B."

I hope that Cashman does file an official complaint. MLB needs to do something about Angel Hernandez's behavior.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar
    Originally posted by YankeeFan1
    I hope that Cashman does file an official complaint. MLB needs to do something about Angel Hernandez's behavior.
    i totally agree. this guy is a disgrace to baseball and he consistently baits players.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

Gammons Commentary below:

If this incident is true, Derek Jeter's track record is that he doesn't get into these things.. you know the way he has always carried himself... he doesn't get carried away. I'm not going to single out Angel Hernandez, but baiting players, and letting loose on players like this is wrong... MLB needs to demand that umpires behave in a more mature fashion. It's uncalled for for an umpire to bait players. No one pays to go to a game to see the umpires... umpires sometimes lose sight of that. If this incident is true. If players can be suspended for 5 games for fighting, MLB should be able to suspend umpires for 10 games. [then he said something about this being a growing problem lately that MLB has to do something about]. Of course the umpires union will object to any kind of suspension of an umpire, but it's more difficult for the umpires union to file a grievance if Angel Hernandez is suspended because this is Derek Jeter making this charge [something about his track record].

Hosts add'l commentary below:

"If Angel Hernandez gets suspended, you can be sure he'll have a press conference".
    "He knew, as he went after that ball, that he had a decision to make," said Tony Clark, who watched the play unfold from first base. "Either you let the ball drop and try to minimize the damage, or you make the catch and pay the consequences. He knew that, no doubt about it, and he chose B."

The general sense relayed on ESPNews is that this is one of the most reviled umpires in the league. That he has gotten away with so much for so long... it might be a situation where enough is enough... that Jeter may have felt that somebody needed to do something.

Below is my own opinion:

We all reacted the same way when the incident happened. We didn't know the exchange, but we all were shocked that Jeter was even jawing so loudly with an umpire (though NOT cursing). I also expect that is the reason why there was yelling back and forth between Angel Hernandez & the dugout during the game and then after the game. What I Ioved about the report is that they said there were several witnesses to Hernandez cursing at Derek Jeter...including the Rangers players. You know the expression "Only Nixon could go to China?". Well, I think in this case "Only Derek Jeter can take on Angel Hernandez". Simply because he has such a clean image and track record among players and umpires. I don't remember an instance where he even argued loudly or cursed an umpire. Can anyone remember Jeter ever being ejected from a game? I can't. But if he has, it must be rare. He's not known as a trouble-maker or provacatuer. He's a veteran player with a clean image that MLB might believe on this incident.

EDIT: I hope now that Angel Hernandez doesn't apologize to Jeter because it might make the Yankees drop their complaint. This guy needs to be aired out in a public way.

West Milford NJ- Hangin with the Bears in my Yard!!!
    Originally posted by YankeeFan1

Perfect statement. Angel is an ass.

SJW and proud
    He has a history of this. I really loathe umpires that bait players.
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

NYYF Cy Young

Time for baseball to do something about this. I hope Cashman files the complaint.
    Penn State '12

Released Outright rightfielder21's Avatar
    Pequannock, New Jersey (Birthplace of Derek Jeter)
    This isn't anything new with him, he has been one of the worst unps for a while now...

Originally posted by ConnYanksFan
    Time for baseball to do something about this. I hope Cashman files the complaint.
    Selig is allergic to fixing problems. Don't count on anything actually happening. I expect more of the same "This is baseball, and were going to tell you how to enjoy it" crap.
    "It would be great if every day I could do something that was psycho." -Hideki Matsui

I'm glad to hear this. My criticism of umpires is usually reserved for those who truly disgrace their profession, and Angel Hernandez does just that. If an umpire is well-known by fans it usually means he's either really good or really bad (the latter in most cases). Hernandez has a well-earned reputation for being inconsistent behind the plate and getting into it with players. If the league takes disciplinary action against him I will be pleased. Next up: Joe West, a man who should've never been rehired after the umpiring union's blunder a few years back.

James

I hope something is done about this. His attitude & behavior are ridiulous, and the "bleep you" comment was totally uncalled for and unprofessional.

Has an official complaint ever been filed against him before? If not, then why the f not???!?!?

Originally posted by sorigirl
    I hope something is done about this. His attitude & behavior are ridiulous, and the "bleep you" comment was totally uncalled for and unprofessional.

Has an official complaint ever been filed against him before? If not, then why the f not???!?!?

I don't know the answer the first question, but as for the latter one...I would assume it would be because after he is fined, suspended or however they punish him and comes back to calling games, the team that filed a complaint won't get a single call. If he 's behind the plate, I would hate to be that team's pitcher. But, either way, I say file the damn complaint, its not like he calls a consistent game as it is.

Originally posted by DonnieBaseball85

I don't know the answer the first question, but as for the latter one...I would assume it would be because after he is fined, suspended or however they punish him and comes back to calling games, the team that filed a complaint won't get a single call. If he 's behind the plate, I would hate to be that team's pitcher. But, either way, I say file the damn complaint, its not like he calls a consistent game as it is.
    True. And I do agree with your last statement.

Originally posted by Alex
    "If Angel Hernandez gets suspended, you can be sure he'll have a press conference".
    I love that statement! It was hilarious.

on edit: n/m my comments, I misread the origional post. I should really finish my coffe before I post in the morning.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Evil Empire

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/18606.htm
    The Yankees have an avenue to file a complaint, and considering George Steinbrenner sends volumes of tape on calls blown by umpires to MLB offices, it's safe to say the club will at least contact Sandy Alderson.

Go George! Gotta love him.

Originally posted by DonnieBaseball85
    This is exactly why I don't think the Yankees would enter into this lightly, if they do. Not only that, there might be a backlash from other umpires because they back up their own. However, even his fellow umpires must know that he is a problem.

Just Rolling
    I am tired of what seems to be umpires starting arguments with players. The incident with Jeter just seems to be the latest. I hate when a player looks over at an umpire after a pitch they question (pitcher or batter) and the umpire either stares them down or says something. Granted, the player should in most cases keep their mouth shut, but the role of the umpire is not to start trouble. Its fine if a player doesn't like a call, as long as they are not in the umpire's face I believe the umpire should just let it go.

By the way, Angel Hernandez's cursing Jeter out was not only seen by on-field witnesses, but it YES caught it on video as the game ended. It didn't take an expert lip reader to figure out what Hernandez was saying. Real professional.

James

Released Outright
    Did anybody see this? I was listening on the radio at the time. All I heard were the announcers saying that it was a close play; that Jeter turned and either looked or said something to Hernandez (I don't remember exactly what they said); and when they looked at the slo mo replay they mentioned that Jeter was, indeed, out by a hair. They didn't make a big deal about any interaction between Jeter and the umpire. I'd love to know how strongly Jeter reacted to being called out.

That umpire is a real hotdog. I remember when he threw Pudge Rodriguez out of the game from the dugout in like the second inning. The Yankee announcers were flabbergasted - and this was over an opposing player!

Baseball should just get rid of umpires all together. No need for them really. Everything can be achieved now a days w/ cameras and new technology.

Of course, that will never happen, because that means people being out of a job.. oh no.. we can't have that happen.

Released Outright rightfielder21's Avatar
    Pequannock, New Jersey (Birthplace of Derek Jeter)
    Originally posted by Stick Michael
    By the way, Angel Hernandez's cursing Jeter out was not only seen by on-field witnesses, but it YES caught it on video as the game ended. It didn't take an expert lip reader to figure out what Hernandez was saying. Real professional.

James
    Exactly, when he I saw it on YES and there is no doubt what he said, you don't even need to watch it twice...

NYYF Legend

I said this in a thread the other day and I repeat it here: Didn't MLB and the Player's Union both unite to break the umpires union back in 1997 or 1998? I believe they did and the motivation for doing so was to bring accountability to the umpiring ala how the NBA manages its refs. Why then is this shyt still going on? Angel Hernandez should be disciplined and then fired the very next time he engages in anything like the other night. Perhaps he just does not have what it takes to be a MLB umpire, i.e. the tempermant.
    Jay Buhner for Ken Phelps!?!?

Released Outright
    Originally posted by rightfielder21

Exactly, when he I saw it on YES and there is no doubt what he said, you don't even need to watch it twice...
    WHAT did he say? And WHAT did Jeter say or do, if anything, to provoke Hernandez' outburst?

Originally posted by r0ka
    Baseball should just get rid of umpires all together. No need for them really. Everything can be achieved now a days w/ cameras and new technology.

Of course, that will never happen, because that means people being out of a job.. oh no.. we can't have that happen.
    Next to the strike, this would be the worst thing to ever happen to baseball.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Evil Empire

Thread Information