+ Reply to Thread

Yankee fan from Newark, NJ

Hi all. My name is Bob Dougherty. I was born in ’48 and discovered baseball and the Yankees in ’56. Mantle’s Triple Crown got me goin’.
    I grew up in Newark, NJ in Christopher Columbus homes and played ball with some of the greatest guys you’d ever wanna know.
    John Conway, Mike Koval, Bobby West, Billy Tuscon, Joe Malanga, Butch Endel, Jerry Endel, Timmy Conway, Jimmy Dean…no one you’d have ever heard of, yet all the same kinda guys many of you all grew up with, I’m sure. True friends!
    There were basically three teams and we’d toss for who played the first game Friday night. Whoever did, you’d kick in $1.00 on the Friday night game and get back $2.00 if you won. Saturday had three games…the winner from Friday night versus the third team out from Friday…$2.00 in $4.00 back if you won again. The second game on Saturday was the winner from Saturday Morning versus the loser from Friday night…$4.00 in $16.00 back… This continued through three more games on Sunday with the last game on Sunday being $64.00 in $128.00 back, but only if you were a team that won Friday night all the way through Sunday. Rarely happened! But the passion allthrough the weekend would rival the best Yankee Boston series around.
    This went on all summer long. Usually from March through October, November… Depended on whether it snowed in March or October, November.
    There were times when not enough players would show up, so we’d play third-and-home until enough guys did show. Lotta great times, lotta great catches, lotta great shots.
    It was where I first heard the term “Tock Ada Shot”.
    “Tock” is the sound of the bat hittin’ the ball.
    “Ada“ is the echo off the upper decks.
    It refers to a shot like Mick’s shot off the right field facade. How could I ever forget! It was the loudest sound that ever came out of that old black and white TV I grew up with.
    Knowing what a die-hard Yankee fan I am, my daughter Christina has been bugging me to join the forum for quite a while. I wish I had listened to her the first time she suggested it. Its great stuff!
    My favorite forum…”History, Trivia & Memorabilia” . The memories are truly great.
    My favorite Yankee…”Billy Martin”. After his passing, it took a lot to get back into it.
    I presently live in Swedesboro, NJ (That’s Exit 2 on the NJ Turnpike). It’s about 20 minutes from Philadelphia, PA and if you wanna know how NOT to be a fan, just live in the Philly area for a while. These are people that booed Mike Schmidt off the field !

Thanks for all the fun so far. “You’s Guys Are Great!”
    Sincerely,
    Bob
    "The Yankee is one who, if he once gets his teeth set on a thing, all creation can't make him let go." Ralph Waldo Emerson

one of the few nyy fans in az yankeesfaninaz's Avatar
    Scottsdale, AZ (originally from Queens, NY)
    Welcome to the board Bob. Its nice to see an "older" person join the board who can share their knowledge of the game. Its awesome to see someone bring up something from the past about the history of the game. I can also agree with you about the PA fans. I am a NJ Devils fan and I have seen how bad the Flyers fans are just from watching tv and reading about it. Have fun on this forum because it is the best forum ever.
    My name is Tracy and I am a female

Originally posted by yankeesfaninaz
    Welcome to the board Bob. Its nice to see an "older" person join the board who can share their knowledge of the game. Its awesome to see someone bring up something from the past about the history of the game. I can also agree with you about the PA fans. I am a NJ Devils fan and I have seen how bad the Flyers fans are just from watching tv and reading about it. Have fun on this forum because it is the best forum ever.
    Your quote has to be one of the best. Love it !
    "The Yankee is one who, if he once gets his teeth set on a thing, all creation can't make him let go." Ralph Waldo Emerson

one of the few nyy fans in az yankeesfaninaz's Avatar
    Scottsdale, AZ (originally from Queens, NY)
    thank you very much.
    My name is Tracy and I am a female

Thorofare, NJ (across the river from Philly)
    I'm the daughter he is referring to. I've been a member here since 2000 and I was lurker on the old Yankee message board before my webtv allowed me to post responses. I haven't replied in a while but I've always been lurking. It's always been in my personality to to sit and watch more than join in. Ok, so I'm not perfect. Anyway, it's good to have you here Dad. I think this board could use someone with your expert knowledge of the game of baseball and the Yankees. Thanks for getting me back to posting here.

NYYF Legend

Welcome

Released Outright
    welcome

NYYF Cy Young

Welcome.

Welcome Bob!
    [

NYYF MVP

Bob-welcome to the best forum in the world
    Okafor explained afterwards. "I just saw this orange object floating in the air and it said 'grab me'. I grabbed it, spun, saw the rim, thought it would be a good idea to put it in, and that's what I did."

NYYF Cy Young

Welcome
    Penn State '12

Welcome

"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

Hey Bob, welcome . You should look Nome up - you guys might be able to exchange stories...

-jim
    "The only thing I know about baseball is that whatever the manager does is wrong" - Moe

NYYF Legend

Welcome, Bob! Great story. I'm looking forward to reading some of your posts, regarding the Yanks of the 1950's-60's. I'm not too far behind you. I was born in 1960 and caught the tail end of The Mick's career, but the Yankees of the 1950's have always captured my imagination. Those were the days. Wait a minute ... 1995 to Present ... these are the days too. Go Yankees!!!
    “I love winning man! It’s like, better than LOSING!” ~ Ebby Calvin “Nuke” LaLoosh

Thank you all for makin' me feel so at home.
    This forum and it's members are the GREATEST !!!

Thread Information