+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Francona says "The fight may bring the Sox together"

Well Terry, you better get your team "together" because at the end of the year, most of them will be gone to free agency! Will see how much there together if Contreras fires a gem tomorrow and we take 2 outta 3.

It's not like he could bring his team together....

Originally posted by StaceyRosie
    It's not like he could bring his team together....
    Oooh, good point. I'm convinced nobody really can.

i think that francona and epstein had a part in the fight occurring. check this quote...

``We've been waiting for some catalytic event,'' Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein said. ``Maybe this whole day ... will serve as that catalyst.'

theo's quote makes me think that he told francona that if they were gonna play today to go out there and make it worth it, if you know what i'm saying..

:finger1: epstein and the rest of the red sox organization and flunkies (gammons, selig, etc...):finger1:

NYYF Triple Crown

The brawl will mean nothing if my Sox lose Sunday. It will only mean something if they win tomorrow and then win 20 of their next 30 or something similar.

I hope it is a clean game tomorrow. No one needs to get seriously injured on either side. That would be a shame, no matter which side you root for.

They both have got to praying that's true, because nothing else they have done has brought them together.
    "He knew, as he went after that ball, that he had a decision to make," said Tony Clark, who watched the play unfold from first base. "Either you let the ball drop and try to minimize the damage, or you make the catch and pay the consequences. He knew that, no doubt about it, and he chose B."

They hug like men at a bath house, they're already together.
    Fire Cashman!

Originally posted by stevethesoxfan
    The brawl will mean nothing if my Sox lose Sunday. It will only mean something if they win tomorrow and then win 20 of their next 30 or something similar.

I hope it is a clean game tomorrow. No one needs to get seriously injured on either side. That would be a shame, no matter which side you root for.
    Very true. If one gets away from Contreras, all hell will break loose.
    "He knew, as he went after that ball, that he had a decision to make," said Tony Clark, who watched the play unfold from first base. "Either you let the ball drop and try to minimize the damage, or you make the catch and pay the consequences. He knew that, no doubt about it, and he chose B."

NYYF Triple Crown

Originally posted by Rich
    They hug like men at a bath house, they're already together.
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

Dee
    “The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible and achieves the impossible."

"Money can't buy you happiness, but it will pay for the search." Prince

He needs a fight to bring a team together? Clas-say. And congrats, it (may have) only taken you more than half the season to do it!

Clean those footprints off your back, do your damn job, and earn your money, Terry - a fight shouldn't have to bring a team together, that's your job.

Originally posted by DredScott

``We've been waiting for some catalytic event,'' Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein said. ``Maybe this whole day ... will serve as that catalyst.'

theo's quote makes me think that he told francona that if they were gonna play today to go out there and make it worth it, if you know what i'm saying..

:finger1: epstein and the rest of the red sox organization and flunkies (gammons, selig, etc...):finger1:
    I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but living in Boston and watching the Sox a lot, I really didn't like the way the fight came about...Tek may claim he was egged on, but he certainly didn't do anything to defuse the situation. And please don't tell me he hasn't heard curse words before.

So the Sox needed a fight to bring them "together" after three months of lackluster, underachieving baseball? I think this speaks more to the desperation of Francona and Epstein than it does to the quality of the win, which came against overused relief pitchers and a triple AAA starter and long relief group, and despite three errors and blown chances to drive in multiple runners (even though they were better on Saturday than usual...but then again, you should be against the pitchers the Yankees had out there).

I have a lot of respect for the abilities of many of the Sox players (and personally admire guys like Wake and Trot and Nomar), but I'm still unimpressed with the team, no matter how much the "we just need the wild card/we're dangerous in a short series" apologists make their case.

It's funny you mention Gammons as one of the Sox flunkies. He's definitely a Sox fan, but he's indicated often that he's not crazy about how the Sox have been built this year, and he said last Friday on the radio that he hates watching the way they play and handle themselves generally this year, and that his Red Sox friends always get upset whenever he praises the professionalism of the Yankees.

Originally posted by Alex

I remember in Game 2 of the 2003 ALCS when Jose Contreras unloads and almost David Ortiz in the kisser.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

It makes for good press. It obviously didn't bring the Sox defense together. Note to Francona: keep starting Millar at first.

Happy Holidays!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    Originally posted by DredScott
    i think that francona and epstein had a part in the fight occurring. check this quote...

that quote about the "whole day" just doesn't sit right...I think the reversal of the game when the Yankee buses were already running was some kind of payback for last year when the Yankees were accused of calling a game for questionable weather, hours before so fans wouldn't be inconvenienced, to avoid Weaver starting...I'm not sure if that's the case or not, but the Red Sox changing their minds after the other team is dressed and ready to leave is bush league but then again, why expect anything better...it had stopped raining at noon and they didn't start getting the field ready until very late because it had already been decided it was unplayable...

and while they're spending thousands of dollars to install extra seats on the green monster, why don't they take some of that revenue that's generated and install a decent drainage system...

and any team that needs to incite a brawl to get them to play hard and consistently with heart, is a team I would never want to root for...
    "Happiness is...a thumb and a blanket."

NYYF Cy Young

GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE FRANCONA, KEVIN BROWN DIDN'T PITCH

You just beat a Triple A pitcher who is replacing our starting pitching. Weepee doo & Congratulations! What will you do when Kevin Brown pitches against you guys and not against one of our triple A starters?

And what will you do if you make it to the playoffs against a healthy Brown, Mussina, El Duque and Karsay.

Plus other teams are out to get the Redsox. Just you watch. They don't like their arrogant unfair playing they've been seeing in this series.
    David

I know what kind of pitcher Whitey was and kind of person he is. It makes me feel proud to be a Yankee. We're keeping this in the family. (On breaking Whitey's PS consecutive scoreless innings)

Sláinte

Re: GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE FRANCONA, KEVIN BROWN DIDN'T PITCH

Originally posted by COLOMBIAYANKSFAN
    You just beat a Triple A pitcher who is replacing our starting pitching. Weepee doo & Congratulations! What will you do when Kevin Brown pitches against you guys and not against one of our triple A starters?
    If the Sox beat anyone today, it was Mariano Rivera. No easy task, and it's one that maybe, just maybe, we can all point to as a key point in the season.

Originally posted by Alex

I don't see that happening. Torre and Stot have just recently gotten Contreras on the right track. So far so good.

No way that gets jeopardized by having him throw at anyone so he gets tossed. Besides, I don't think he's that guy, anyway.

Right now the Yankees really don't have anyone willing to play beanball with another team.

Re: Re: GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE FRANCONA, KEVIN BROWN DIDN'T PITCH

Originally posted by KP88

If the Sox beat anyone today, it was Mariano Rivera. No easy task, and it's one that maybe, just maybe, we can all point to as a key point in the season.
    Key point my ass. Rivera has gotten beat before and will again. The Red Sox, as a matter of fact, have beaten him before.

Will it happen again? I wouldn't bet the house on it. In fact, you KNOW Rivera will be pitching the ninth Sunday if the Yanks have the lead and he will shut the door like he normally does. Rivera can't be figured out. There is no plan of attack. He either has his stuff or very occasionally he doesn't. On those days that fall on the latter, hat's off to whatever team takes advantage.

What I find funny about today is Red Sox fans pretending that this is the fuse that lights some long-awaited fire. Please. Every single game against the Yankees is hyped up as the "must" game...until they lose, and then tomorrow is the really REAL "Must" game.

Yes, I know that's the nature of most fans, but with Sox people there's also this deep-seeded denial that goes on.

So they finally won one of the billion "Must" games the Red Sox play all year. Bully for them. And hey - they may even win tomorrow.

So what?

When they do it against all comers like the Yanks have done most of the season, maybe I'll break out into a sweat over 'em should they reach October.

They will all look like real boobs when the Sox go back to their W-L-W-L-L-W-L-W-L days.
    I want to thank the Good Lord for making me a Yankee fan.

NYYF Triple Crown

I really want the Sox fans to jock this game. Honestly I guarantee that they pimp this one as a biggie. But looking at the standings we still have quite an edge on the chower heads.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!
    If the 25 guys on your team aren't your brothers, then what would a fight do? Because you physically support him? That's expected.

In 2000, after Clemens beaned Piazza in July, the Mets (and Mets fans) were critiqued because they didn't rush out to help him, didn't charge the mound, etc. They were peed off, but did nothing. They still got to the WS, right?

If you've got a good team, one which will at least fight f/the WC, essentially the same w/the addition of a 2B/SS, ace, closer, why do you need a fight to bring them together?

I personally don't want a fight, but it seems that many of the Boston crowd there enjoyed it. If that's what it takes, seeing how Varitek now must be so big name there after having taken down the guy they'd desperately desired last winter, I'd say it's a weird bunch up there. I'm just glad I'm a Yankee fan, since I couldn't buy into all that desperation, which includes beating up on the SP.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Re: Re: GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE FRANCONA, KEVIN BROWN DIDN'T PITCH

Originally posted by KP88
    Please compare the number of consecutive days used by Rivera and Foulke, as well as number of saves. This is the second HR allowed this year by Mo, and both were walk-off HRs.

On Friday, I saw fans leaving after 2 outs in the 9th. As to any mental devastation, perhaps a closer you're used to might, but if Mo isn't the toughest, cool as a cucumber guy I can think of, then who is?

If a single victory over Mariano Rivera is a turning point, then what about 2002, when Shea Hillenbrand also hit a walkoff HR off him? How'd that season turn out?
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Fighting wont hide the defense from hell...

'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

Originally posted by NYYFAN
    Fighting wont hide the defense from hell...
    Schnozz made an E-6, but Jete w/his damaged hand/wrist, didn't. Telling, considering how people will forever laud the Anteater's "D".

Just Rolling
    My take on the game yesterday is that it is a big deal to score three runs of perhaps the best closer ever to win an emotional game. He didn't have his best stuff, but that's not really the issue. Mo is a machine and it was an emotional win.

That being said, the game doesn't mean anything in the bigger scheme of things if the Sox don't play better ball after it. I can't say it is a turning point in the season because it was just one game. If the Sox turn around and continue to play .500 ball, then this game was simply one win in a long season. Personally, until the Sox can show that they can play better than .500 ball I am tempering my enthusiasm for their chances.

Thread Information