+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Originally posted by WebsterMulligan

These players are addicted. I don't think that they can simply quit on a whim. You read the Curt Schilling article.
    You know nicotine patches and gum work for chewing tobacco as well. Check it out, says it right on the box
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee
    Who in their right mind would pay several thousand bucks to have some chick poop on their face like a beard?

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by RhodeyYankee2638

I don't really know. Does MLB have to get the consent of the players union to add new rules to the rulebook?

The job of the union is to do what? Protect the players............ Getting them to stop a nasty and perhaps dangerous habit would be protecting them, no?
    Absolutely. But look how they've handled the steroid situation. It will not be easy.
    “I love winning man! It’s like, better than LOSING!” ~ Ebby Calvin “Nuke” LaLoosh

NYYF Legend

You know nicotine patches and gum work for chewing tobacco as well. Check it out, says it right on the box
    Unfortunately, the players may not want to quit.
    “I love winning man! It’s like, better than LOSING!” ~ Ebby Calvin “Nuke” LaLoosh

Unfortunately, the players may not want to quit.
    A lot of people love smoking too and don't want to quit. Usually it comes down to the health risk. I'm goin to bed, peace.
    Who in their right mind would pay several thousand bucks to have some chick poop on their face like a beard?

NYYF Legend

A lot of people love smoking too and don't want to quit. Usually it comes down to the health risk. I'm goin to bed, peace.
    Sounds like a good idea, Rhodey. I'll be seeing you.

that's right

Salt dehydrates the body. Sunflower seeds are loaded with salt. Players eat sunflower seeds during games......................
    People lose salt when they sweat. Eating salted sunflower seeds can help replenish necessary electrolytes in the body. Gatorade has salt in it for this very reason.

NYYF Legend

I believe that smokeless tobacco products are banned in the minors now, but I think it ws grandfathered in for players who used at the time. It really is disgusting.

It bothers me that they make a chewing gum for kids called "Big League Chew" that looks like chewing tobacco. What a great role model and what a way to encourage your kid to look forward to when they can be a "big Leaguer" and poison themselves and end up dead or mutilated.&po'd&

Forum Regular
    I do too. They should not be used
    [B][center][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=black]Top 1:[/COLOR] [COLOR=Navy]NYY (12-5): 0[/COLOR] - [COLOR=Red]LAA (9-10): 0[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkOrange]
    [COLOR=Navy]Vazquez (1-2, 8.27) [COLOR=DarkGreen]- [COLOR=Red]Kazmir (1-1 7.45)[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
    April 25th, 2010[/COLOR] - [COLOR=Purple]YES[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=DarkGreen] - 3:35PM[/COLOR]
    [/center][/B]

Addicted Member

These players are addicted. I don't think that they can simply quit on a whim. You read the Curt Schilling article.
    Yeah, chewing tobacco & cig's are very addicting & can get a real hold on a person. I remember taking my mom for chemo for her lung cancer & when she was done she would leave the office and light up a cigarrette!!! My mom has since passed away.

The fact that they make chewing gum to look like chewing tobacco is abhorrent.

Actually, now that I think about it, just because it's a habit and it would be hard to quit cold turkey, doesn't mean it can't be banned because of that. You don't see players smoking on the field of play during a game; you mean to tell me that they can't NOT chew tobacco for a few hours until the game is over?

The union should have no problem with this. MLB wouldn't be taking chewing tobacco away from their personal lives, just during game play. Even though a player is addicted to it (just like I'm sure there are players who are addicted to smoking), they wouldn't have to quit using it (even though it would benefit their personal lives).

Addicted Member
    Good point ForceFive. I agree with you.

Originally posted by ForceFive
    Actually, now that I think about it, just because it's a habit and it would be hard to quit cold turkey, doesn't mean it can't be banned because of that. You don't see players smoking on the field of play during a game; you mean to tell me that they can't NOT chew tobacco for a few hours until the game is over?

The union should have no problem with this. MLB wouldn't be taking chewing tobacco away from their personal lives, just during game play. Even though a player is addicted to it (just like I'm sure there are players who are addicted to smoking), they wouldn't have to quit using it (even though it would benefit their personal lives).

Excellent point. I wwas trying to bring this up earlier. I remember reading that there are a good amount of baseball players that smoke, which is an equally addicting habit. They wait till the game is over to do what they have to do.

BTW, has anyone ever had Big League Chew. Its the best gum I have ever had

Just Rolling

Excellent point. I wwas trying to bring this up earlier. I remember reading that there are a good amount of baseball players that smoke, which is an equally addicting habit. They wait till the game is over to do what they have to do.

I used to love that stuff, the problem I had was that once I would open it I would keep adding more and more to the wad in my mouth...I could barely chew it after a while.

Forum Regular

I don't care what it tastes like- it models terrible behavior for kids. Maeks it seem cool and that is not a good idea for something that can kill you so horribly and so quickly.

BTW, this is Danmel- I just realized that my son, Danny, has logged in as "Little Puck Boy" So guys- if you see some bad spelling and posts that you want to make fun of, hold off- he's 10.
    [B][center][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=black]Top 1:[/COLOR] [COLOR=Navy]NYY (12-5): 0[/COLOR] - [COLOR=Red]LAA (9-10): 0[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkOrange]
    [COLOR=Navy]Vazquez (1-2, 8.27) [COLOR=DarkGreen]- [COLOR=Red]Kazmir (1-1 7.45)[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
    April 25th, 2010[/COLOR] - [COLOR=Purple]YES[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=DarkGreen] - 3:35PM[/COLOR]
    [/center][/B]

Just Rolling
    Originally posted by LittlePuckBoy

BTW, this is Danmel- I just realized that my son, Danny, has logged in as "Little Puck Boy" So guys- if you see some bad spelling and posts that you want to make fun of, hold off- he's 10.
    I will keep that in mind, though he will probably end up making more sense than I do a lot of the time.

NYYF Legend

Who gives a flying eff what the players think. If its spreading bad PR to children who want to imitate their idol, then ban it. ...

I agree with Danmel, that stuff enables kids to model bad behavior.

Right near old St. Patricks and NYC's oldest manhole cover

All About Bouton

Big League Chew was the brainchild of Jim Bouton: Yankee pitching alumnus, author (Ball Four, Foul Ball), and all-around character. (I think he was a voice on Disney's DuckTales cartoon, Gyro Gearloose?)

I agree with Danmel, that stuff enables kids to model bad behavior.
    I'm just saying its gum. I honestly don't even know what chewing tobacco looks like unchewed. If it were called "Shreaded Gum" would you have a problem with it?

NYYF Legend

I'm just saying its gum. I honestly don't even know what chewing tobacco looks like unchewed. If it were called "Shreaded Gum" would you have a problem with it?
    Not if it did'nt lead children to bad behavior, later on.

Released Outright
    Originally posted by ForceFive

The only problem with this if there was intent to make a comparison between smoking and smokeless tobacco smokeless tobacco doesn’t infringe on other peoples rights and nor does it affect the play of an athlete. Actually smoking isn’t really an option with the overwhelming majority of athletes in any sport as it’s a direct hindrance to their productivity and play.

My point is there is really no argument in this matter with regards to smoking (tobacco) versus smokeless tobacco.

my 2 cents

NYYF Legend

My kids like Big League Chew gum because there's a lot of it in the package and they can chew a huge wad if they want. It certainly doesn't make them think chewing tobacco is cool.
    They don't even know what chewing tobacco is.

In fact, they think it is cool that Jeter can blow a bubble and make a play at the same time, so it's more likely they think chewing gum is cool.
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

Addicted Member
    Originally posted by krystl

In fact, they think it is cool that Jeter can blow a bubble and make a play at the same time, so it's more likely they think chewing gum is cool. [/B]
    My husband & I laugh every time we see him running bases and blowing bubbles at the same time. Talk about talent!! I can walk & talk at the same time but I can't walk and blow bubbles at the same time!!!

NYYF Legend

So you wouldn't mind seeing Jeter drinking a cold Bud Lite in the middle of a game right? I mean its perfectly legal
    whats wrong w/ that?

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by krystl

My kids like Big League Chew gum because there's a lot of it in the package and they can chew a huge wad if they want. It certainly doesn't make them think chewing tobacco is cool.
    They don't even know what chewing tobacco is.

In fact, they think it is cool that Jeter can blow a bubble and make a play at the same time, so it's more likely they think chewing gum is cool.
    Big league chew is so awesome... however,I make sure to rinse my mouth out everytime I spit it out... there's so much sugar in it.

The players don't smoke cigarettes while in the dugout or on the field during a game so I don't see why they're allowed to chew tobacco. I also think it's a bad influence on kids, disgusting and obviously a big health risk. Of course when they're on their own time they are grown adults who can make their own choices but at the stadium, during a game they're on TV for all to see.

Based on the article it sounds like Schilling has been battling and trying to quit for years so it just shows how addicting this stuff really is.

-Deborah

Thread Information