+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Where my Pitches at? Arod for President's Avatar

Red Sox will try anyting to get RJ

http://thetrack.bostonherald.com/sid...rticleid=35564

read this article... i cant even begin to explain how badly i wanna smack the city of Boston right now.

Re: Red Sox will try anyting to get RJ

Originally posted by Arod for President
    http://thetrack.bostonherald.com/sid...rticleid=35564

read this article... i cant even begin to explain how badly i wanna smack the city of Boston right now.

This is called free PR for Legal Sea Foods. I'm sure the TV stations will show the chowder going out, and it makes the Herald. There's a reason why Legal is so successful.

Is this so hard to understand? What does this have to do with the City of Boston.

BTW The chowder is very good.

Forum Regular

I don't understand...it's a lighthearted joke in response to a funny comment that Johnson made while being interviewed by media vultures. RJ gets some free chowder, and this in some way reflects badly on the entire city of Boston? Good thread. No, seriously, fantastic stuff... :rolleyes:
    I don't care how good he is or how great he is, I'll never be a fan of Clemens. He never won the big game all those years in Boston. He never beat Jack Morris or Dave Stewart. He had to go to New York like Wade Boggs and get his ring like some hooker on 54th Street.
    --Bill "Spaceman" Lee on Roger Clemens

excuse me for bashing boston... your all right none of us have done that before...:rolleyes: anyways i understand its just PR so whens someone in NY gonna take some initiative and send RJ some good 'ol ummm whats NY famous for anyway

Released Outright
    RJ was holding a press conference for the allstar game and was doing it for well over an hour after fielding endless trade questions to the Yankees and worse--Boston, around the 45 minute mark his cellphone rang and someone joked, "That's Schilling now"

..it was, RJ answered the call and was like "we were just talking about you"

....damnit, tampering!!! TAMPERING!

Originally posted by Freeway96
    RJ was holding a press conference for the allstar game and was doing it for well over an hour after fielding endless trade questions to the Yankees and worse--Boston, around the 45 minute mark his cellphone rang and someone joked, "That's Schilling now"

..it was, RJ answered the call and was like "we were just talking about you"

....damnit, tampering!!! TAMPERING!

That's hilarious. Schilling was probably saying something like "I got RJ Jr. right here... sign on the dotted line if you wanna see him again!"

I think the Chowder thing was funny... NY should send him replica WS flags... and confetti from the last parade... maybe that's what NY is good at! There's nothing like a parade down the Canyon of Heros.
    "He knew, as he went after that ball, that he had a decision to make," said Tony Clark, who watched the play unfold from first base. "Either you let the ball drop and try to minimize the damage, or you make the catch and pay the consequences. He knew that, no doubt about it, and he chose B."

NYYF Legend

Johnson to the Red Sox. Johnson made clear yesterday that reports of his distaste for Boston's Curt Schilling are accurate, a bad sign for the Red Sox. When a reporter mentioned that Schilling claimed to put in 20 phone calls to Johnson, in an effort to convince him to waive his no-trade clause to pitch for the Red Sox, Johnson said, "There's a reason I have changed my number."
    http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...yankees-bigpix

Originally posted by thecaptain
    Johnson to the Red Sox. Johnson made clear yesterday that reports of his distaste for Boston's Curt Schilling are accurate, a bad sign for the Red Sox. When a reporter mentioned that Schilling claimed to put in 20 phone calls to Johnson, in an effort to convince him to waive his no-trade clause to pitch for the Red Sox, Johnson said, "There's a reason I have changed my number."
    Jon Heyman is real credibile :rolleyes:

I'm going to do it before NDBoston does:

Heyman hates Schilling. These unsubstantiated comments should suprise no one.
    "He knew, as he went after that ball, that he had a decision to make," said Tony Clark, who watched the play unfold from first base. "Either you let the ball drop and try to minimize the damage, or you make the catch and pay the consequences. He knew that, no doubt about it, and he chose B."

$hit!! I meant to post before ND!!!

He beat me to it.

When a reporter mentioned that Schilling claimed to put in 20 phone calls to Johnson, in an effort to convince him to waive his no-trade clause to pitch for the Red Sox, Johnson said, "There's a reason I have changed my number."
    This cracked me up.

Happy Holidays!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    I saw that quote in the times too captain -- and after it it said "It was not clear if he was joking."
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/14/sp...14johnson.html

I do get the feeling that Schilling is not as close to Johnson as he would like people to think -- I think the kids and wives are closer than those two...every interview I've heard Schilling give says he would of course tout the city of Boston to RJ but that he doesn't need that, he's going to do what's best for him and his family...funny but Theo and company were able to "sell" Curt on the city after he originally said he didn't want to pitch regularly at Fenway...

I doubt that RJ's opinion of Schilling alone would keep RJ from going to Boston if he wanted to go there.....

Addicted Member

Best Chowder I've ever had...how do we trump that???? Maybe some marinara sauce from Rao's

Forum Regular

The article doesnt say anything about the Sox sending him the chowda, only the CEO of Legal Sea Food. Mostly as a response to the joke that RJ had said earlier, plus free P.R.

BRILLIANT!!

Originally posted by Woodshed42
    Best Chowder I've ever had...how do we trump that???? Maybe some marinara sauce from Rao's
    I CANNOT get into that restaurant. God knows I've tried.

Happy Holidays!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    Originally posted by NDBoston

Jon Heyman is real credibile :rolleyes:
    Heyman has definite credibility issues -- and can be a real a-hole at times too...he was the reason Knoblauch stopped speaking to ALL reporters at one time which I didn't think was right but I think Knobby accused him of making some very bad statements that were wrong...anyone else remember the specifics?

but on this quote, I give it more credence as it was in the Times too -- I put the link above.

Addicted Member

I reccommend the one at the Prudential Center. Tell them Woodshed42 sent ya

As far as RJ hating Schilling, why was Schilling playing with RJ's kids at the derby? Are ballplayers that phony or maybe this rift is overblown.

ND. You mentioned Daily Catch in another thread that was closed. I've been there with a business associate/friend from Waltham and the food was outstanding.

We should have Guiliani bring him some Manhatten Clam Chowder
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee
    Who in their right mind would pay several thousand bucks to have some chick poop on their face like a beard?

Originally posted by RhodeyYankee2638
    We should have Guiliani bring him some Manhatten Clam Chowder
    So you don't want Randy Johnson, right? What are you trying to do... push him to the Red Sox?

To compare Manhattan and New England clam chowder in the same breath is ridiculous...

Originally posted by Alex

So you don't want Randy Johnson, right? What are you trying to do... push him to the Red Sox?

To compare Manhattan and New England clam chowder in the same breath is ridiculous...
    i agree for gods sake lets drop the chowda already and just send him a suitcase full of unmarked 50's!

Originally posted by Dooley Womack
    ND. You mentioned Daily Catch in another thread that was closed. I've been there with a business associate/friend from Waltham and the food was outstanding.
    Don't tell too many people Dooley. I love that place.

I also recommend "Ocean" in Manhattan, but make sure that's on your expense account.

Again...tell RJ we have a REAL left field...thats all he needs to know...

'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

The Red Sox should be considering doing the most extreme and desperate things to get Randy Johnson and/or keep him away from the Yankees. This is one year that I will not fault the Red Sox for doing whatever rediculous thing they have to do to get Randy Johnson.

The Red Sox could be looking at their last years of true playoff contention with this group. They have many key players entering free agency over the next two off-seasons. At the end of this season, Red Sox free agents are Daubach, Embree, Nomar, Kapler, Lowe, Pedro, Mirabelli, Reese, Varitek, and Williamson. At the end of 2005, Red Sox free agents are Damon, BH Kim, Millar, Mueller, Timlin, and Wakefield.

If the Yankees get Randy Johnson, it negates the Red Sox big move of getting Curt Schilling. Remember to keep this in the context of the post season. You have Curt vs Randy. You have Pedro vs Mussina. You have Vazquez vs Wakes. You have Brown vs Lowe. Thats very balanced on paper but its weighted in the Yankees favor in reality. Now put Randy on the Red Sox. I'm sure the Yankees have a contingency plan if they lose Randy, but unless that pitcher is Mulder I dont see how you make up for losing Randy.

Now reality, and let me make my case for the Yankees - Randy Johnson is under contract for next season as well. His home and his family are in Arizona. His children attend Arizona schools. He has said that he will only go to a team that gives him the best chance to win a championship. The Red Sox are shaping up to have a difficult year in 2005, so why should Randy leave his family and his home for a team that gives him one potential championship. The Yankees will be making a run at the championship this season as well as next season. If Randy is going to pick up and leave his home and family, the Yankees give him the best reason to do so.

And remember Randy's no-trade clause - it dosent matter what the teams are offering. Randy Johnson will decide where he wants to play. The trade package is irrelevant. If Colangelo says to Randy, "The Red Sox offered us the best package" and Randy says, "But I dont want to play there" then Randy will not be traded to the Red Sox. The Yankees have the most intelligent baseball minds working for them. In the end, I'm confident that they will do the right thing no matter where Randy ends up.

Forum Regular

In years past I might agree with you, but this is also the same Sox management who brought in people like David Ortiz and Bill Mueller and had them shine in Boston. I dont for a second believe that the Sox wont be in contention for a playoff spot nearly every year. Having the money they do of course does not hurt the situation. Yankee fans surely should understand that.

The other side of why would RJ want to go here or there...well you can sell it either way. Come to NYC and be part of the glorious legacy of the Yankees. Come to Boston and win a WS and be revered by a city and region for generations and generations to come. Some people like the underdog. For those people, toppling the Yankees could be more appealing than joining them.

Thread Information