+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Released Outright JavyVazquezIsSick's Avatar

Oliver Perez is Nasty

This kid is 22 and leads the league in K/per 9 with 10.76. I repeat he is 22. I am pretty sure I sw him hit 98 on Bball tonight highlights. Not sure when his contract is up....Can someone help me out?

He had 13 Ks in 7 shut out innings only giving up 3 hits...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=240626117

He's just starting out. Perez won't be a FA for about another 5 years. Pittsburg won't be trading him.

Originally posted by sugmasterflex
    He's just starting out. Perez won't be a FA for about another 5 years. Pittsburg won't be trading him.
    Do you have a link saying Perez is signed for 5 years?

Originally posted by JavyVazquezIsSick

Do you have a link saying Perez is signed for 5 years?
    Look at his service days. He's not a FA for at least 4 years. Maybe I'm mistaken, but didn't O.Perez make one of his first MLB starts during interleague versus the Yankees in 2002?
    "America national sport is called baseballs. It very similar to our sport, shurik, where we take dogs, shoot them in a field and then have a party."
    - Borat Sagdiyev

Actually, here's the past thread involving Oliver Perez:

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...t=oliver+perez

Perez and Peavy both had one of their MLB starts against the Yanks.
    "America national sport is called baseballs. It very similar to our sport, shurik, where we take dogs, shoot them in a field and then have a party."
    - Borat Sagdiyev

The question is, can he pitch under the New York spotlight?

NYYF Legend

I've loved this guy for awhile, despite the fact that he was a Padre. Been tearing it up for my fantasy team for the past few weeks now. Too bad the run support has been sorta lacking.
    NYYFFFL: Impact Litigators

Released Outright
    I am glad people are noticing Perez. He looks amazing so far this season. Something positive for the Bucs. It looks like they have a good young, cheap pitcher locked for a couple years at least. maybe they can build a rotation around him.

NYYF Cy Young

I've been following this kid's stats all year, and since this post Perez has gone on to pitch 4 out of 6 of his starts getting 10 K's +! Wow!

He has 7 Games of double digit K's this year which equals another guy out in Arizona that we have talked about all year Randy Johnson.

Check out this game log:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/6945/gamelog

His last start he K'ed 10 in 5 IP! Not bad at all. This guy may very well be the next big thing in baseball.

Anyway, was checking his stats and found this thread from awhile back. Didn't want to start a whole new one.

-Triple G

Yeah, this kid really doesn't get the credit he deserves. He might be the next RJ...

I'm also a big fan of OP. David Littlefield made one the best trades last year by sending Brian Giles to SD for Perez and Jason Bay. That guy knows what he is doing.

With a healthy Kip Wells and Sean Burnett, the Pirates should be quite formidable in the next couple of years - even in that division.
    There's nothing in the entire sports world like being a NY Yankee fan.

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by JavyVazquezIsSick
    Yeah, this kid really doesn't get the credit he deserves. He might be the next RJ...
    Vin Scully shared during the game Perez pitched against the Dodgers last week that Chipper Jones had said that Oliver Perez is the closest thing to Randy Johnson that he's seen. Here's a recent article on him:
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04217/356433.stm
    "He's the closest thing to Randy Johnson we'll see in a game," said Atlanta's Chipper Jones, who beat Perez with a solo home run in his last start. "He's legit."

Thats funny that Chipper said that. He has that filthy slider just like Randy along with a fastball that gets up to 98. At 22 he might be the best young pitcher out there right now.....

NYYF Legend

Who says because this guy is so good that he will become a yankee when he hits FA? he may be nasty but we wont be getting him anytime soon. (same thing for ben sheets, jason schmidt, etc.)
    Hoping Rivera can pitch forever!

NYYF Legend

He and Santana are two of the best young pitchers in baseball right now and probably the best lefties.
    "I love Hughes, really I'm not kidding here, I am in love with him, I'm a straight male and I don't even know what he looks like, but I am in love."-JeterRodriguezSheff

Originally posted by DaBoys4LifeNYY35
    I've loved this guy for awhile, despite the fact that he was a Padre. Been tearing it up for my fantasy team for the past few weeks now. Too bad the run support has been sorta lacking.
    Me too, wasn't he once called the next RJ or something?

Originally posted by nahzo
    Me too, wasn't he once called the next RJ or something?
    Heh, I shoulda scrolled down. Nm..

Instead of the Big Unit he should be called the Small Unit.

Saw that one somewhere.

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by NJASDJDH
    He and Santana are two of the best young pitchers in baseball right now and probably the best lefties.
    And I was able to claim both for my fantasy team in late June/early July AS FREE AGENTS! What luck, eh?

Released Outright
    I picked up Perez of the FA list...in early may. Whoever dropped Santana in your league is an idiot.

nomaas...the other white meat PippyPinstripes's Avatar
    Originally posted by rock
    Instead of the Big Unit he should be called the Small Unit.

Saw that one somewhere.
    NO guy will agree to that

I've been keeping an eye on this guy as well. Legit is the word.
    And in the end, the love you take
    is equal to the love you make

Sean Henn has a chance to be a similar pitcher in a few years...

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by sugmasterflex
    Sean Henn has a chance to be a similar pitcher in a few years...
    Henn is either the same age or older than Perez with lesser "stuff" and struggling against AA hitters.
    "I love Hughes, really I'm not kidding here, I am in love with him, I'm a straight male and I don't even know what he looks like, but I am in love."-JeterRodriguezSheff

What if the Yankees offered Vazquez, money, and perhaps something else for Oliver Perez rather than for Randy Johnson. Both are lefties, and Oliver Perez could end up anchoring the Yankee staff for years.

I realize Randy is better now, but Oliver Perez would be an incredible acquisition. I wanted them to grab him before this season, but now his value has gone through the roof.

I dont think Pitt would take VAZ's contract, and they have Perez for @least 3 yrs extremely cheap.
    If the numbers were right i'd bet on the weather.

Thread Information