Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

NYYF Legend

Game Thread Forum?

Jim, since everything was discussed (to use a kind word) at such thorough length in the "Free Buzah petition" thread, and since Buzah's suspension has in fact been ended (and I assume Gringa Loca's as well)... might it be too much to hope that a similar reinstatement might be in line for the Game Thread forum? After all, the the person most responsible for the disappearance of the Forum has served his punishment.

At least, could you provide a consise statement here (and I know you must be thoroughly sick of the whole business) as to why the Forum is gone? There must be a lot of regular posters there who won't find the "Free Buzah" thread at all, or won't connect it to the disappearance of the Forum ... or won't want to read through all those posts to try to find out what happened to the Forum.

Thanks.

Re: Game Thread Forum?

Originally posted by -tz
    After all, the the person most responsible for the disappearance of the Forum has served his punishment.
    Actually, there are several people responsible for its disappearance.

The concise reason is that if I can't devise a way to moderate it equally, fairly, and effectively, I don't know if it should be available. Everyone seems to think a poor job was done moderating a situation the other day, so obviously improvement needs to be made.

-jim
    "The only thing I know about baseball is that whatever the manager does is wrong" - Moe

NYYF Legend

Didn't you say you got a lot more responses (via PMs, etc.) supporting the Moderators' decisions than disagreeing with them? I think some of us Game Forum regulars may have been somewhat hesitant to get involved in the public discussion because it had become so acrimonious. At any rate, it doesn't seem fair to punish everyone for the actions of a few. Could it be reinstated on a trial basis, with new strict guidelines posted and EVERYONE admonished to be on the lookout for violators?

Someday? Please?

NYYF Legend

I'll have a lot more to say about this later. (I'm at lunch)

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    Originally posted by -tz
    Didn't you say you got a lot more responses (via PMs, etc.) supporting the Moderators' decisions than disagreeing with them? I think some of us Game Forum regulars may have been somewhat hesitant to get involved in the public discussion because it had become so acrimonious. At any rate, it doesn't seem fair to punish everyone for the actions of a few. Could it be reinstated on a trial basis, with new strict guidelines posted and EVERYONE admonished to be on the lookout for violators?

Someday? Please?
    I was one of the PMs voicing my support, but I had to publically offer my support after the validity of the these PMs were put in doubt. I just find it sad that the actions of a few people are depriving the vast majority who posted without incident in the game thread forum of having that for games. It really is sad and all over what amounted to a one day suspension. I just hope a lesson is learned so the next time it isn't the entire forum that gets closed.
    Life is good!

I don't want to spend my afternoon in the game thread reading every single post to make sure nobody gets out of hand and acts like a juvenile. And I definitely don't want to attempt to make a decision for the best interest of this site and then deal with what I had to deal with last night. At that point the benefits of running this site, for me, are FAR outweighed by the drawbacks. To be honest, the entire forum came close to being shut down last night - not just the GT forum.
    "The only thing I know about baseball is that whatever the manager does is wrong" - Moe

Just a suggestion.

Since the GT forum consists of about 8-10 "hard core users" and a splash of occasionall users, why not let the hard core users take responsibility for the thread.

While making all of them moderators is a little overkill and probably contrary to good order (too many chiefs not enough indians) , I think collectively as a group they can effectively monitor the thread.

Making a moderator specifically for the GT thread would place a tremendous amount of pressure on that person/persons due to the excessive volume of posts and the time required to insure coverage during the entire game.

I think making them "unofficial deputy moderators" for the GT forum is the best solution.for the following reasons:

-There are always at least 4 of them on the GT at any given time during the game.
    -They are for the most part senior members who are familiar with the expected conduct on this site.

All they would be required to do is to inform someone that they are breaking the rules via a friendly "cease and desist" type post and then page a moderator for further enforcement of the rules.
    While this should be the action taken by ANY forumer who bears witness to breaking of the rules, this would earmark certain indivduals with the RESPONSIBILITY to do so
    Also, misconduct ignored or aloud to escalate would result in punishment of not only the offenders, but also of the GT gestapo who are present.

Given the time invested by the "hard core members" I think they would be more than happy to accept these terms in exchange for the re-opening of the GT forum.

Originally posted by SODM
    Just a suggestion.

Since the GT forum consists of about 8-10 "hard core users" and a splash of occasionall users, why not let the hard core users take responsibility for the thread.

While making all of them moderators is a little overkill and probably contrary to good order (too many chiefs not enough indians) , I think collectively as a group they can effectively monitor the thread.

Making a moderator specifically for the GT thread would place a tremendous amount of pressure on that person/persons due to the excessive volume of posts and the time required to insure coverage during the entire game.

I think making them "unofficial deputy moderators" for the GT forum is the best solution.for the following reasons:

-There are always at least 4 of them on the GT at any given time during the game.
    -They are for the most part senior members who are familiar with the expected conduct on this site.

All they would be required to do is to inform someone that they are breaking the rules via a friendly "cease and desist" type post and then page a moderator for further enforcement of the rules.
    While this should be the action taken by ANY forumer who bears witness to breaking of the rules, this would earmark certain indivduals with the RESPONSIBILITY to do so
    Also, misconduct ignored or aloud to escalate would result in punishment of not only the offenders, but also of the GT gestapo who are present.

Given the time invested by the "hard core members" I think they would be more than happy to accept these terms in exchange for the re-opening of the GT forum.
    I think this would be a great idea. And reading back over the petition thread from last night if I was a mod I would have just banned half a dozen people for a week. I think it may be a good idea for the mods in general and Jim in particular to take our toys away for a week or so ( in the form of the game thread forum at least) and maybe that will concentrate a few minds.Politely objecting is one thing,but the vitriol and unpleasantness last night was something else.

NYYF Legend

SODM, that sounds like a good and workable idea to me. I would certainly fall in that category of "hard core users" and would be happy to carry out that kind of restricted moderating duty. I am a mod on another site so I do have some experience (which is why, in fact, I've never considered volunteering for the truly daunting task of being the SOLE moderator for the Game Thread Forum).

I know there are some Game Thread regulars who dislike my posting style (some serious negativity combined with a lot of joking "counter-jinxing) but I have tried to improve in that regard this season ... and this year's Yankee team has certainly helped with all those comeback wins!

At any rate, I wouldn't let any of what has happened in these threads up till now affect my decisions. I think I could be fair and reasonable.

NYYF Legend

Yeah, except that the hard core users are the ones that thought the Sox fan was out of line. They aren't going to monitor themselves from stomping on people that they think are baiting that may not actually be baiting. I don't know if that makes sense or not...

Originally posted by -tz

I know there are some Game Thread regulars who dislike my posting style (some serious negativity combined with a lot of joking "counter-jinxing) but I have tried to improve in that regard this season ... and this year's Yankee team has certainly helped with all those comeback wins!

Your posting style adds spice to the GT forum.
    No need to change for anyone
    They say the good thing about pecimists is that they're never dissapointed!!!

Originally posted by Trish
    Yeah, except that the hard core users are the ones that thought the Sox fan was out of line. They aren't going to monitor themselves from stomping on people that they think are baiting that may not actually be baiting. I don't know if that makes sense or not...

And that is exactly why the extent of their power will be be to expeditiously summon a mod to objectively make the decision.

Also they will be less likely to take it upon themeselves to lash out at someone since their appropriate action for recourse will be clearly defined.

NYYF Legend

Another idea, and I don't know if this is possible ... could the "Quote" feature be removed, in the Game Thread forum only? This would make it more difficult for people to argue with each other instead of concentrating on what is happening in the game. Of course, you could still copy and paste someone else's post, but that extra degree of difficulty might cut down on the amount of quoting just to argue ... and if nothing else, that would make people with long "ignore" lists happy!

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by SODM
    Also they will be less likely to take it upon themeselves to lash out at someone since their appropriate action for recourse will be clearly defined.
    True...

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by -tz
    Another idea, and I don't know if this is possible ... could the "Quote" feature be removed, in the Game Thread forum only? This would make it more difficult for people to argue with each other instead of concentrating on what is happening in the game. Of course, you could still copy and paste someone else's post, but that extra degree of difficulty might cut down on the amount of quoting just to argue ... and if nothing else, that would make people with long "ignore" lists happy!
    Very good idea, if it is a possiblity.

Released Outright
    Shuting down the game forum is bullc**p
    there are people on this site who enjoy following the game online and talking to other fans while the game is in progress. shuting it down because of one event is a joke.
    this site is taken way too seriously and held under WAY too tight reigns

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by brown_is_a_badass
    there are people on this site who enjoy following the game online and talking to other fans while the game is in progress. shuting it down because of one event is a joke.
    That's the kind of post that is going to keep it closed, IMO.

This is Jim's site, and I for one am grateful to him for keeping it open for us all. Discussing his policies is OK, but contentious and belligerent complaining about the way he does things ... THAT is bullc**p.

Just Rolling
    Originally posted by -tz
    That's the kind of post that is going to keep it closed, IMO.

This is Jim's site, and I for one am grateful to him for keeping it open for us all. Discussing his policies is OK, but contentious and belligerent complaining about the way he does things ... THAT is bullc**p.
    I agree. Most importantly is that this is Jim's site, it is one thing to discuss policy etc., but to flat out insult him and his decisions is unfair and rude.

Released Outright
    Originally posted by MaineSoxFan

I agree. Most importantly is that this is Jim's site, it is one thing to discuss policy etc., but to flat out insult him and his decisions is unfair and rude.
    there is a difference between insulting somone and making a statement on the way somthing is run. punishing all the other people who enjoy posting on the thread for one incident is unfair and reflects poorly on the way the site is moderated.

NYYF Legend

I couldn't possibly disagree more. The Community Standards and their enforcement allow this site to provide an outlet for civil discussion betweenfans who may disagree.

Just Rolling

there is a difference between insulting somone and making a statement on the way somthing is run. punishing all the other people who enjoy posting on the thread for one incident is unfair and reflects poorly on the way the site is moderated.
    That is true there is a difference but this statement "this site is taken way too seriously and held under WAY too tight reigns" reflects directly on the individual who runs the site. And the moderators gave their reasoning for why the game thread forum was shut down.

I don't know if the software allows it, but maybe the Mods could just ban members from the game thread when there are fouls...just like when a manager gets thrown out of a game when he pisses off the umpire...

'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

NYYF Legend

You said:
    Shuting down the game forum is bullc**p ... shuting [the GT forum] down because of one event is a joke.
    I call that insulting. This is the kind of thing I would be happy to "Report to a moderator" if it occurred in the GT Forum.

Released Outright
    Originally posted by MaineSoxFan

That is true there is a difference but this statement "this site is taken way too seriously and held under WAY too tight reigns" reflects directly on the individual who runs the site. And the moderators gave their reasoning for why the game thread forum was shut down.
    i've had friends who were banned from the site for saying things that were considered "bashing." and i've seen worse in the newspaper every day. it just seams to me that the moderaters are too strict in their handling of the site. just my opinion...

Thread Information