+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NYYF Cy Young

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news/ap/...nson-bird.html

March 25, 2001

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) -- A pitch by Randy Johnson hit and killed a dove flying in front of home plate.

The lethal pitch came during the seventh inning of the Arizona Diamondbacks' 10-5 victory against the San Francisco Giants on Saturday.

The bird flew over the catcher Rod Barajas' head and landed a few feet from the plate amid a sea of feathers.

"I'm sitting there waiting for it, and I'm expecting to catch the thing, and all you see is an explosion,'' Barajas said. "It's crazy. There's still feathers down there.''

Johnson, the NL Cy Young winner and perhaps the game's hardest thrower, was not amused.

"I didn't think it was all that funny,'' he said.

In 1983, Yankees outfielder Dave Winfield killed a seagull in Toronto with a warmup throw. Police charged him with animal cruelty, although the charge was later dropped.

"This was a little more dramatic,'' Arizona manager Bob Brenly said. "I can honestly say I have never seen that before.''

NYYF Legend

I think that was his Eaphus pitch.
    Land of the free?
    It's all about oil.
    Pray for the proud amerikans

Addicted Member

now i have heard everything.

Shades of Dave Winfield!

Winnie killed a seagull with a ball in Toronto (He was still a Yankee at the time).
    Bern Baby Bern

[URL="http://blog.myspace.com/bern_bern_bern"][/URL]

Can anyone say yuck?!?

To be sane is more dramatic than to be mad - GK Chesterton, Orthodoxy

Career Minor Leaguer 1TonHumanHamsterWheel's Avatar
    I heard about that too! My roommate has a picture of Jeff Kent holding up the dead bird as the wallpaper on his computer!
    Imperium Referiat!

When I walked in through the door/ Thought it was me I was looking for/ She was the first song I ever sang/ But it stopped as soon as it began...

Wasn't there another player who killed a bird when he hit a fly ball?
    We cannot recapture the past, but sometimes it can recapture us -- if we are not careful. Thomas Sowell

NYYF Cy Young

Winfield threw the ball at the gull on purpose.

Not the same thing.

Why would he throw a ball at a bird on purpose? :rolleyes:

Randy Johnson said, "I don't think it was all that funny." It was quite gross, actually ... I don't see where Jeff Kent saw the humor in it, but OK ...

Can he be charged with animal cruelty??

-#1YankeeLover

does anyone know what the rule is if a player hits a bird with a flyball? is it out or what?

Originally posted by rs11ny
    does anyone know what the rule is if a player hits a bird with a flyball? is it out or what?
    I suppose it would depend on the Stadium ground rules.

-jim
    "The only thing I know about baseball is that whatever the manager does is wrong" - Moe

NYYF MVP

May the bird rest in peace. And may Kent not dig in too deep the next time he faces the Unit.

NYYF Cy Young

Wow, I almost forgot about this. They showed it on the 6:00 news...it was gross...just a big burst of feathers. Talk about a no fly zone...
    BOSTON STILL SUCKS!!!!!

WHATEVER YOU DO...DON'T FRAKK IT UP!!!!!

NYYF Legend

It depends if the bird is on the lineup card.
    Land of the free?
    It's all about oil.
    Pray for the proud amerikans

Originally posted by Superunknown
    I think there was... but the only thing that keeps coming to my mind is that scene in that awful embarrassment of a flick Major League II.
    "You aint my b!tch, n!gga! Buy your own damn fries!" -- Barack Obama

I remember Dave Barry making a joke about the fly ball killing the bird. He said that the player (I can't recall his name) was later found dead under a huge pile of bird droppings.

So watch out, Randy.
    We cannot recapture the past, but sometimes it can recapture us -- if we are not careful. Thomas Sowell

...oh, yeah, I only got a last second glimpse of that, but MAN, he didn't just kill the bird, it VAPORIZED!!

Now somebody tell me, how could ya charge Johnson with "animal cruelty"? Can ANYONE control a bird? Obviously the stupid thing hasn't ever watched a game with Johnson in it, or it woulda NEVER been within 5 feet of home plate in any direction!

Here's another one for ya: If the bird had been referred to as a "pigeon" instead of a "dove" (technically the same thing), no one would be screaming "animal cruelty" over a dead stadium rat with wings!!

Here's another thought:

Better the bird than somewhere on Barajas' body, considering what Johnson's pitch did to the BIRD!!

Lok, here's the Bird to Johnson from Birdy Heaven:
    :finger2:

heeheehee!!

I wish the Yanks had Johnson, I been wishin' that for a LONG time! This incident only further intensifies that wish. Was any of Yankee management seeing that???

my guess is that birds fall under "act of nature" and are fair play.
    Any call while the ball is in play seems like an easy call to make, but on the pitch what do you call?
    I guess it's a ball, or a balk, unless it's a chicken in which case it's fowl!

Addicted Member

very funny Chris!!!
    "Live to ride. Ride to live."

NYYF Legend

When Winfield hit the bird, he said "I would never intentionally harm a fowl of Canada" About a week later, I went to a game at the Stadium and there were all these seagulls and blue jays (fake ones) hanging from the rafters- it was sick but funny. That video of Johnson hitting the bird was really grotesque-at least the poor thing never knew what hit it!

What's really scary is that it was in 83-that really makes me feel ancient!
    "...man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now, if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise." Tommy Douglas- The "Greatest" Canadian.

NYYF Triple Crown

Reporters have no taste. Anything for a story. If a senior citizen falls and brakes a hip at a stadium are they going to publish the x-rays?

The unpleasnt moment should not have even been reported.

Now THERE is a Captain !! SanFrANSKY's Avatar
    It's not funny, but there are funny ways to look at it. This from Scott Ostler of the SF Chronicle:

In closing, may we have a moment of silence in honor of the dove that was killed by a Randy Johnson fastball?

Bad move by the bird, which apparently was guessing curveball.

"I was just trying to back him off the plate," the Big Unit probably explained, referring to the Little Dead Unit.

As one teammate may have described the fatal pitch: "Beak music."

That was one unlucky dove. Of all the pitchers in all the ballparks in baseball, this bird had to fly into Randy Johnson's airspace. Because Johnson has the world's most feared fastball, authorities can't rule out suicide.

The only crazier stunt would have been to try to fly in front of a Shaquille O'Neal free throw.

You can almost hear the bird's friends:

"I tried to tell him, 'If you must fly around a ballpark, fly in front of Knoblauch.' "
    SanFrANSKY
    [img]http://nyyfanscom.baseball.sportsline.com/images/team-logo/sanfransky-9angryblue-36x36.jpg[/img] [b]We're Playaz. We're 9. We're Angry.[/b]
    [color=purple]Base: a certain kind of ball.[/color]
    [i]Repair these losses...and be a blessing to us.[/i]

NYYF HOF

Originally posted by Superunknown
    Pretty sure it was during a Mets game a few years back.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston. It is understandable, but wrong that he would try to deflect the accountability for his mistakes on to others and to a system for which he voted in favor. It is time to get on with life and forget the sour grapes."

Does anybody have a picture of it?

Thread Information