+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
  1. #1
    NYYF Legend

    yanksrule69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    MA/CT Border

    Foulke's complaint - Red Sox flights

    On Sportscenter they just had a bit on the Red Sox' new complaint. Keith Foulke is complaining that the coach seats on the team's flights are not comfortable enough. They are not nearly as comfy as his Oakland charters last year. :rolleyes:

    His suggestion: Red Sox should build a plane and let the Bruins and Celtics use it when they are not.

    No link becuase I saw it on Sportscenter.
    Life is a Waste of Time, Time is a Waste of Life, so let's get Wasted all the Time, and have the Time of our Lives

    It's not about the destination. It's about the journey.

    "Only the good die young"

  2. #2
    Released Outright ACPS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    ATM is quickly becoming "Page 6".

  3. #3
    The Source

    Carissa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    http://www.ctnow.com/sports/baseball...lines-baseball

    Although some players, Keith Foulke said, have voiced complaints to traveling secretary Jack McCormick, they hesitate to say travel is why the team hasn't played well lately.

    "Who's to say?" Foulke said. "Our plane, it's hard to sleep on. So it's hard to get your rest. Then you're showing up at 3 or 4 in the morning. It's tough."
    "In Oakland, you flew a charter. So you had the big seat," said Foulke, who said he assumed the Red Sox would have a comfortable plane when he signed a three-year contract with them last winter. "This place is different here."
    But I love what Varitek says:
    "You're not going to make excuses," Jason Varitek said. "Your schedule is your schedule. We'll have some days off over this next month. It'll be good."

  4. #4
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Its true that the Sox have definately had some tough breaks with extra inning games and problems with their flights...not sure if the Oakland comparison is necessary. (And i agree with Tek, it is absolutely no excuse for performance).

  5. #5
    go to their website.. the fans waste an incredible amount of energy complaining about the schedule... i will give credit where credit is due however... some of the sox fans don't want to hear it... it's really sad

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    NYYAROD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tampa, FL Spring Home of the New York Yankees!
    You have to be kidding
    [img]http://ideaspot.net/mlb/AL_East/small/yankees3-sm.gif[/img]
    Go Yanks!!!!!!

  7. #7
    Originally posted by KLJ
    go to their website.. the fans waste an incredible amount of energy complaining about the schedule... i will give credit where credit is due however... some of the sox fans don't want to hear it... it's really sad
    Umm, guys, weren't we (or people on this board, anyway) the ones complaining about the Japan trip for a whole month?

    Complaining about the schedule is still stupid--no one has to play significantly tougher schedule than anyone else--but this is awfully hypocritical.

    Though, on a general note, I don't see why the schedulemakers should force any team to play for three weeks with no off days.

    The Sox have been struggling because they're hitting like crap (not tonight, however) and playing sloppy and missing two superb hitters, not because of the travel plans.

  8. #8
    Originally posted by KLJ
    go to their website.. the fans waste an incredible amount of energy complaining about the schedule... i will give credit where credit is due however... some of the sox fans don't want to hear it... it's really sad


    Look, I'm a Sox fan, and I'll be the first to admit that some of our fans waste an incredible amount of energy complaining about *everything.* That being said, although weather and double-headers and all of that have caused us problems, there are no excuses for making poor plays.

    Some of us try like heck to be positive, but it's sadly an uphill battle because Team Positive, as we call ourselves, are in the minority.

    But surely y'all have that kind of thing here too, don't you? I think both of our fandoms have panic attacks fairly regularly. It's like we could all use several cases of Xanax or something and just chill out.
    [color=crimson][b]Leesha, Team Positive of RSN
    The Few. The Proud. The Chicks of the Red Sox Nation.
    [/color][/b]

  9. #9
    Forum Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    East Village, NYC
    It didn't seem to me that Foulke was using the Sox schedule as an excuse for poor play so much as he was airing a complaint about crappy seats on the team plane. That said, I'll always be among the first to jump on anybody for bitching about scheduling because it's frankly as lame an excuse as you can make. Tek is exactly right...there's nothing you can do about your schedule, and quite frankly everything balances out by the end anyway. Every team has that scheduled 20 days of straight games at points in the season, and the ability to overcome those adverse playing conditions and execute anyway is what helps separate the teams who succeed over the duration of the season from the teams that play inconsistantly and settle into mediocrity. There are reasons that the baseball season is as long as it is...
    I don't care how good he is or how great he is, I'll never be a fan of Clemens. He never won the big game all those years in Boston. He never beat Jack Morris or Dave Stewart. He had to go to New York like Wade Boggs and get his ring like some hooker on 54th Street.
    --Bill "Spaceman" Lee on Roger Clemens

  10. #10
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vacaville, California
    Originally posted by Doc's Private Stash
    everything balances out by the end anyway. Every team has that scheduled 20 days of straight games at points in the season.
    Correct. Also Isn't it better to have the long stretch earlier in the season then in August/Sept.

  11. #11
    Giambi-bashing bewilders me pacewon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    NJ
    "You're not going to make excuses," Jason Varitek said. "Your schedule is your schedule. We'll have some days off over this next month. It'll be good."


    This is why Varitek is one of the few Sox players that I respect. Sh*t, the Yankees have been to Japan and back, and to the West coast twice already, and go back there again in June. Meanwhile guys like Wakefield and Foulke are gonna whine about doubleheaders and their plane not being comfortable, while they've been out of the Eastern time zone exactly once this season (Texas).

  12. #12
    NYYF HOF

    koko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Franklin Square, NY

    Re: Foulke's complaint - Red Sox flights

    Originally posted by yanksrule69
    On Sportscenter they just had a bit on the Red Sox' new complaint. Keith Foulke is complaining that the coach seats on the team's flights are not comfortable enough. They are not nearly as comfy as his Oakland charters last year. :rolleyes:

    His suggestion: Red Sox should build a plane and let the Bruins and Celtics use it when they are not.

    No link becuase I saw it on Sportscenter.
    So he's suggesting Boston be a "25 players, 25 planes" team?

    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston. It is understandable, but wrong that he would try to deflect the accountability for his mistakes on to others and to a system for which he voted in favor. It is time to get on with life and forget the sour grapes."

  13. #13
    Forum Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    East Village, NYC
    Originally posted by pacewon


    This is why Varitek is one of the few Sox players that I respect. Sh*t, the Yankees have been to Japan and back, and to the West coast twice already, and go back there again in June. Meanwhile guys like Wakefield and Foulke are gonna whine about doubleheaders and their plane not being comfortable, while they've been out of the Eastern time zone exactly once this season (Texas). [/B]
    Give me a break, we were subjected to MORE than enough whiny rants by Mussina during and following the Tokyo trip. All players are going to be frustrated with travel at various points in the season. Pointing fingers at players on one team or another is a pointless waste of time, and, since neither of the Sox players you mentioned blamed travel for poor play, it is in this case all the more unnecessary to discuss.
    I don't care how good he is or how great he is, I'll never be a fan of Clemens. He never won the big game all those years in Boston. He never beat Jack Morris or Dave Stewart. He had to go to New York like Wade Boggs and get his ring like some hooker on 54th Street.
    --Bill "Spaceman" Lee on Roger Clemens

  14. #14
    Giambi-bashing bewilders me pacewon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    NJ
    Originally posted by Doc's Private Stash


    Give me a break, we were subjected to MORE than enough whiny rants by Mussina during and following the Tokyo trip. All players are going to be frustrated with travel at various points in the season. Pointing fingers at players on one team or another is a pointless waste of time, and, since neither of the Sox players you mentioned blamed travel for poor play, it is in this case all the more unnecessary to discuss.
    Give who a break? I agree that Mussina whined way too much about Japan, but that doesn't justify Foulke's or Wakefield's bitching about doubleheaders or the plane not being comfortable. I definitely think Wakefield was making a connection between arriving late in cities with poor play as he made that statement in the middle of a losing streak.

  15. #15
    Released Outright StaceyRosie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dominican Republic North
    To all major leaguers who complain about crappy seats on planes and long road trips: QUIT

    If you can't take it, get another job.

    :rolleyes:

    This goes for ALL of them.

  16. #16
    Didn't Foulke tweak his back on a flight last year while with Oakland??

  17. #17
    The problem the sox have been having is sh*tty travel arrangements. They have had 3 or 4 series that they didn't get into to town until 4 or 5 in the morning due to bad scheduling. Foulke wouldn't be complaning about the seats if the team could arrive at a decent time. This is a problem that sox fans have known about since the first series against Baltimore and no one has said anything about it. The bottom line is they have Busch league travel arrangements and they deserve better than that.

  18. #18
    Released Outright StaceyRosie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dominican Republic North
    Originally posted by NHsoxfan
    The problem the sox have been having is sh*tty travel arrangements. They have had 3 or 4 series that they didn't get into to town until 4 or 5 in the morning due to bad scheduling. Foulke wouldn't be complaning about the seats if the team could arrive at a decent time. This is a problem that sox fans have known about since the first series against Baltimore and no one has said anything about it. The bottom line is they have Busch league travel arrangements and they deserve better than that.
    Maybe they had to take some money out of the travel pot to pay for some people's contracts

  19. #19
    God Bless the Scooter NYYFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    So Boston goes coach while the Yankees go first class...no surprises there...

    'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

  20. #20
    He was asked a question and answered it. If some Yankee players expressed similar sentiments many of you would be pissed off at the team for having crappy travel arrangements. However, it doesn't seem to make sense to question Foulke's motives. He's been incredible this year. What excuses does he have to make for himself? None. He was merely stating the reality of their season thus far which has included a lot of late nights.

    I believe most players clarify such statements with "I'm not making excuses" so this sort of thing is nothing new. But, I understand the need to bash the Sox on any and all matters.

  21. #21
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Baaaaaahsten, Maskachewsits
    Foulke shouldn't complain.

    However, I will apply the "1999 Pedro Rule" at the moment for him. When a pitcher is 100%-lights-out-don't-bother-coming-up-to-the-plate-because-I'm-going-to-sit-you-right-back-down-like-a-little-leaguer, I'll cut some slack for unwelcome yapping.

    0.40 ERA in 19 appearances, .135 BAA, 8 for 8 in save opportunities. For the first time in memory, it is boring watching a Sox closer in the 9th inning. No drama, no heart attacks. Ho hum, he just throws strikes and mows 'em down. I'm sure he'll have a few bad games sooner or later, but man he is as good as advertised.
    The Boston Red Sox - World Series Champions

  22. #22
    Forum Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Flushing
    Originally posted by Leesha
    Look, I'm a Sox fan, and I'll be the first to admit that some of our fans waste an incredible amount of energy complaining about *everything.*
    That sounds like the online legion of DMB fans.

  23. #23
    Released Outright flutie22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Beantown
    Originally posted by anyoneseenthebridge


    That sounds like the online legion of DMB fans.
    what?

  24. #24
    Forum Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Flushing
    Originally posted by flutie22


    what?
    I swear, it's all they do, is complain... repetitive setlists, getting screwed over by the fanclub's ticketing woes, too many Everyday songs being played, choosing a 2001 show (their worst touring year ever) for an official DVD release (instead of something from 2000, one of their best tours), choosing bland, sobbing love songs to be singles, etc, etc, etc.. it's like people LOOK for things to complain about. I try to stay positive though.

  25. #25
    that's right
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    back in time
    If they don't like the flights, they can all chip in and charter their own flights... I'm sure these guys have enough money that they could do that on some of the longer road trips and nobody would even notice a dent in thier wallet.

    It's like like they're underpaid or something like that.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts