+ Reply to Thread
    Godzilla Rules

Speculative: Toronto fire sale?

As the Blue Jays move ever closer to double digits in the GB column one has to wonder as to the outcome of all of this. With their AAA system chock full of up and coming prospects they may be in the position to upset the balance of power in the AL in a way not envisioned earlier in the season.

Carlos Delgado: Lets face it, it would really suck to see him hitting behind Manny in the Sox lineup. They are one of the few teams that can afford him and may have a need.

Orlando Hudson: Wouldn't he look great ranging into the hole at 2nd for the Yankees? He might be available if the Jays remain in freefall.

Pat Hentgen/Ted Lilly: The Orioles would love to bolster their pitching and one of these pitchers may be available for the right price.

Frank Catalanatto: vg lefty hitter who can play INF/OF
    Your thoughts.

Re: Speculative: Toronto fire sale?

Originally posted by SINCE77 2
    As the Blue Jays move ever closer to double digits in the GB column one has to wonder as to the outcome of all of this. With their AAA system chock full of up and coming prospects they may be in the position to upset the balance of power in the AL in a way not envisioned earlier in the season.

Carlos Delgado: Lets face it, it would really suck to see him hitting behind Manny in the Sox lineup. They are one of the few teams that can afford him and may have a need.

Orlando Hudson: Wouldn't he look great ranging into the hole at 2nd for the Yankees? He might be available if the Jays remain in freefall.

Pat Hentgen/Ted Lilly: The Orioles would love to bolster their pitching and one of these pitchers may be available for the right price.

Your thoughts.

i rather take doc

Bring on October!! nyyfanatic85's Avatar
    I was thinking about this the other day. It's very possible. With such a loaded farm system they would be smart to dump a couple contracts if they continue to struggle; however the main issue is getting a team to take on those contracts.
    Global Warming and climate change hysteria could well represent the historical pinnacle of collective insanity.

Forum Regular

If Toronto is still playing AAA ball by mid-summer, there's a definate possibility that they might begin a "rebuilding" phase. But at this point in the season, it's waaay too early to be speculating about it. They are, on paper, a VERY solid team; they'd be a run-away favorite in the Central. Obviously Delgado and Wells aren't going to continue to hit like this, and Halladay's slow-starts are well documented. I'd expect to see them playing much better ball in the future, but if they don't, we could see a shake-up.

Godzilla Rules

Re: Re: Speculative: Toronto fire sale?

Originally posted by ny

i rather take doc
    Guys like Halladay and Wells are going no where. Too bad.

Godzilla Rules
    Originally posted by Doc's Private Stash
    If Toronto is still playing AAA ball by mid-summer, there's a definate possibility that they might begin a "rebuilding" phase. But at this point in the season, it's waaay too early to be speculating about it. They are, on paper, a VERY solid team; they'd be a run-away favorite in the Central. Obviously Delgado and Wells aren't going to continue to hit like this, and Halladay's slow-starts are well documented. I'd expect to see them playing much better ball in the future, but if they don't, we could see a shake-up.
    They are a 4 game series sweep away from from real trouble in the AL East. 12-15 games back would be a tough hole to climb out for the Yankees and Sox who have much better pitching much less the Jays who have decent pitching but a suspect bullpen. All the hitting in the world might not save them at that point.

Re: Speculative: Toronto fire sale?

Your thoughts.
    By now you know what I think of Hudson being available, but Catalanatto is very intriguing. He doesn't make much money, but their best prospect, Alexis Rios, is an outfielder. Also Catalanatto used to play 2nd base, is very good at getting on base, and can play multiple positions. Who knows how much it would take to get him though.

Godzilla Rules

Re: Re: Speculative: Toronto fire sale?

Originally posted by Irony Of It All

By now you know what I think of Hudson being available, but Catalanatto is very intriguing. He doesn't make much money, but their best prospect, Alexis Rios, is an outfielder. Also Catalanatto used to play 2nd base, is very good at getting on base, and can play multiple positions. Who knows how much it would take to get him though.
    IIRC, Frank is very effective against Wakefield! He would be a sleeper Yankee pickup along the lines of Justice in 2000. Jays need pitching, specifically bullpen help. Proctor and Heredia ( we pick up money on his contract) would do the trick imo.

Forum Regular

They are a 4 game series sweep away from from real trouble in the AL East. 12-15 games back would be a tough hole to climb out for the Yankees and Sox who have much better pitching much less the Jays who have decent pitching but a suspect bullpen. All the hitting in the world might not save them at that point.
    Oh, I agree whole-heartedly. I feel bad for Riccardi when we have discussions about Toronto like this, because he's really done a phenomenal job with that organization. Given the economic situation of baseball right now though, he's never going to have much of a shot with both Boston and New York in his division. He's put together this Toronto team in stages so far, and the only remaining glaring weakness at this point is the bullpen. Their farm system is stacked, and were they in any other division we'd all be saying "look out for the Blue Jays over the next few seasons!"

Back to point though, I think it's tough to speculate where Riccardi's head will be at if this current team continues to struggle. Logically, Delgado would probably be the first on J.P.'s list to try and shop, but the reality is there really aren't many teams that can afford him for the stretch drive- even at only half a season's salary. And I doubt Toronto would be willing to eat any of his salary- they'd just as soon take the draft picks when he bolts in the off-season. As for Catalanotto, I don't know if he'd really be on the market. He's a cheap guy, gets on base, solid defensively...in a nutshell, the prototypical player J.P. is after for his club. Wells and Hudson are both rising stars and DIRT cheap for the next couple years at least, so they're not going anywhere. Same with Hinske if he's able to turn things around. After that, how many players on their roster are really all that eye-catching?

Godzilla Rules

Oh, I agree whole-heartedly. I feel bad for Riccardi when we have discussions about Toronto like this, because he's really done a phenomenal job with that organization. Given the economic situation of baseball right now though, he's never going to have much of a shot with both Boston and New York in his division. He's put together this Toronto team in stages so far, and the only remaining glaring weakness at this point is the bullpen. Their farm system is stacked, and were they in any other division we'd all be saying "look out for the Blue Jays over the next few seasons!"

Back to point though, I think it's tough to speculate where Riccardi's head will be at if this current team continues to struggle. Logically, Delgado would probably be the first on J.P.'s list to try and shop, but the reality is there really aren't many teams that can afford him for the stretch drive- even at only half a season's salary. And I doubt Toronto would be willing to eat any of his salary- they'd just as soon take the draft picks when he bolts in the off-season. As for Catalanotto, I don't know if he'd really be on the market. He's a cheap guy, gets on base, solid defensively...in a nutshell, the prototypical player J.P. is after for his club. Wells and Hudson are both rising stars and DIRT cheap for the next couple years at least, so they're not going anywhere. Same with Hinske if he's able to turn things around. After that, how many players on their roster are really all that eye-catching?
    I think the Sox can easily afford to replace Millar with Delgado for a playoff push. The Giants also have the financial means to acquire Delgado. Catalanotto can be had for the right price, pitching.

I think the Sox can easily afford to replace Millar with Delgado for a playoff push. The Giants also have the financial means to acquire Delgado. Catalanotto can be had for the right price, pitching.
    Delgado would be due 9 million, even if picked up in July.No way, no how that happens. The Red sox are over budget as it is.

The way the Giants spend money, I doubt it would be easy for them either.

Bring on October!! nyyfanatic85's Avatar
    http://upn31.com/APSports/BBO--Baseb...rces_news_html

Catalanotto can hit Wakefield, that's for sure.
    Global Warming and climate change hysteria could well represent the historical pinnacle of collective insanity.

Even if the Sox could afford Delgado they don't need him. When Nixon and Nomar get healthy they'll be one of the top offensive teams again.

If the Giants could afford that kind of contract they would have made a push at Guerrero in the offseason.

Godzilla Rules
    Originally posted by Irony Of It All

Even if the Sox could afford Delgado they don't need him. When Nixon and Nomar get healthy they'll be one of the top offensive teams again.

If the Giants could afford that kind of contract they would have made a push at Guerrero in the offseason.
    Granted, when healthy Nixon and Nomar are forces to contend with. However, I don't expect either of them to start tearing things up right away. Nixon may never be quite the same and Nomar won't be back until June at the earliest. With Millar and Mueller struggling the Sox may have to cowboy up and not let $9mill stand between them and destiny.

Granted, when healthy Nixon and Nomar are forces to contend with. However, I don't expect either of them to start tearing things up right away. Nixon may never be quite the same and Nomar won't be back until June at the earliest. With Millar and Mueller struggling the Sox may have to cowboy up and not let $9mill stand between them and destiny.
    A lot of it does seem to depend on Nixon when he comes back. If he can come back and produce like last year their lineup will just destroy right handed pitching. I think if they are in need of offense, however, they'll go for someone like Vidro or possibly Beltran if they can dump Damon's salary.

NYYF Cy Young

I feel bad for Riccardi when we have discussions about Toronto like this, because he's really done a phenomenal job with that organization. Given the economic situation of baseball right now though, he's never going to have much of a shot with both Boston and New York in his division. He's put together this Toronto team in stages so far, and the only remaining glaring weakness at this point is the bullpen. Their farm system is stacked, and were they in any other division we'd all be saying "look out for the Blue Jays over the next few seasons!"
    I have a buddy who is die hard Blue Jays fan, and I can't tell you how demoralized he was after the Yankees/Red Sox arms race this winter. For a few weeks, with some of Toronto's offseason acquisitions, he was allowed to enjoy the hope of contending for a wild card position. "It's just tough, you know?" he'd say. "If my team was in any other division, they'd have increased their chances for contention by 60%."

One of the things I told him back in December was don't be surprised if Delgado goes to the Sox if Toronto falls apart early. Garciaparra, Delgado, Ramirez, Ortiz, Nixon, Varitek... wow.

#1 BronxBomber Enthusiast JeanC's Avatar
    Country living at ITS BEST! Indiana of Course!
    And Here in Springtraining the word was the Bluejays would be "threatening"....... Well Looks like all words cannot be believeable!

LETS GO YANKEES!!!!!!!

Yankees Are Still the Best in the MLB! Better than ALL the Rest!!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Speculative: Toronto fire sale?

Guys like Halladay and Wells are going no where. Too bad.
    Indeed. I think the only player who might move is Delgado, and only if they can get a HEAP of prospects for him. Riccardi is not a GM you can dupe. Plus, it will have to be for pitching. This team is not rebuilding--this won't be a firesale, but no reason not to dump some high-priced talent for quality prospects. Wouldn't surprise me to see this team make a run in 2005. (Assuming they're out of it this year...and remember how slowly they started last April?)

Thread Information