Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why hate the Red Sox?

Hi. Let's be up front. I'm a Sox fan, and I've been raised to hate the Yankees, and fans of the Yankees.

However, I've become curious about something and I'm hoping you can help me out with this. I've read through this forum recently just out of curiosity, and I notice some people, surprisingly, talking about the Red Sox with hatred.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying you're not allowed to hate the Red Sox. But I'm really curious right now as to why.

Until now, my general impression was that the hatred was one-sided, traveling north-to-south on I-95. But lately (here and other places) I've seen that Yankees fans appear to hate us right back.

I'm not looking to pick a fight. I seriously, sincerely want to know what it is Yankees fans have to hate about the Sox and Sox fans. If we hate your team, it's because you win all the time. Why would that bother you? If we hate your owner, it's because he has the most money. Why would that bother you?

Why would it scare you--as I have seen some people describe it--to see the Sox win? Wouldn't it be about time? Why would one ring for us bother you with 26 already to your name?

Again, let me emphasize: I'm not saying you have no reason. I promise I will not argue with the reasons you give. I just want to know what those reasons are, and then I'll leave again for good.

Thanks.
    "Get the lefty ready." --Pedro Martinez to Grady Little, Oct. 16, 2003

NYYF Legend

uh oh, i sense mod intervention on thread title

anyways, i had a 4 paragraph discertation(sp?) written up but decided to delete it because it probably would've gotten edited or something.

Pick me. Choose me. Love me. SuperMario66's Avatar
    Just between I wish I could and I don't know
    Originally posted by chanman7483

Haha - that was my first thought as well.
    --Misti

Has anybody noticed we have a color option called "lemon chiffon?"

NYYF Legend

.Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

anyways, i had a 4 paragraph discertation(sp?) written up but decided to delete it because it probably would've gotten edited or something.
    edited the title.

put up the dissertation. i really want to know what you have to say.

Originally posted by smr15
    if there's another thread, link me to it.

Gee, thanks!!

Do you think that if I'd found a satisfactory answer there, I would have posted this thread?

What is so difficult about just answering this question?

We recently invited fans from NYYfans.com to discuss "Why do Yankee fans hate the Red Sox?" One notable response was "why do dogs chase cats?"

I think it goes much deeper than that. The Red Sox are the one sure thing a Yankees fan has, and WHEN we win I am not sure they would know how to handle it.
    [img]http://ideaspot.net/mlb/AL_East/small/rsox2-sm.gif[/img]
    [size=1]Fenway Park goes dark now. For a while. No "Sweet Caroline." No "Dirty Water." No "Tessie" sweeping up on the big board while the Dropkick Murphys send everybody home with a smile. The only activity at the yard in the next 11 days will be the Sox grounds crew pondering where to put the World Series logo in the grass behind home plate.[color=red][b] Dan Shaughnessy[/b][/size][/color]

ok, thanks for the reply, but i'm taking it from your use of "we" that you're on the Sox side.

i want to know the opinion on the yankee side.

"why do dogs chase cats?" is clever, but not really a reason.

Just Flanders being Flanders. Stupid Flanders's Avatar
    Ok, why do the Sox fans hate the Yankees?

Let's say you get in a fight after school every day with the same person. You fight hard, and well, and you just barely manage to win every time, but you're bruised and bloodied. You enjoy the victory, but does that mean because you won you should love your opponent?

Also, I think a lot of it has to do with the recent (last 5 or 6 years) of Sox players (and especially recent ownership) running their mouths in trying to be like the "die hard Sox Nation." You never hear Yankee players acting like Bleacher Creatures.

NYYF Legend

ok.. i can't rememeber what i was going to say... but i'm gonna hold back b/c of the community standards

anyways, i don't hate you or any other red sox fan. i'mi about to make a very accurate blanket statement though - --every single one of you is extremely annoying.... i mean, your unofficial spokesperson is ben affleck... c'mon

it's one thing to be annoying... but it's another to be a hater. no one likes jealous people. They tend to be bitter and envy the other party for what they have. since they can't get what they want, they act up and behave like 4th graders to vent their frustration... this is very evident in boston fans - - and i don't think you can dispute that

however - - i will say that if i'm a red sox fan and my team hasn't won anything in almost 3 generations, then i'd be pretty bitter and annoying myself. it's not your fault

They tend to be bitter and envy the other party for what they have. since they can't get what they want, they act up and behave like 4th graders to vent their frustration... this is very evident in boston fans - - and i don't think you can dispute that
    i'm not here to dispute, and i'm not going to. i'm here because i'm curious.

thanks for the reply.

I can only answer for myself, but in all honesty I think that the reason that I hate Red Sox fans is because they hate me.

If you had someone calling you names and getting in your face all the time, whether the reason be jealousy or whatever, wouldn't you not like that person?

Just the fact that I have so many Red Sox fans in my face right now because they won 3 out of 4 games in APRIL makes me mad.

As for Red Sox players, I don't hate them at all. I just don't want to see the Red Sox win because I would really miss chanting "1918" at Boston games.
    I want to thank the Good Lord for making me a Yankee fan.

NYYF Legend

Personally, I don't hate Red Sox fans. I do, however, dislike people who would come up to me and say, "Yankees suck" or some such unconstructive statement. If you want to talk baseball with me, the positives of Nomar and Jeter, or an analysis of Pedro vs. Moose, fine. If all you want to say is that Steinbrenner is the anti-Christ, then you're not ready to have a legitimate discussion and I don't need to listen to your verbal diarrhea.

I disliked the behavior of some of the Red Sox players toward the end of last season. That's different. Again, I don't take that out against Red Sox fans. It does mean that I don't respect some of the players who wore Red Sox uniforms last year.

You may find a very vocal group of Yankee fans who hate Sox fans but you'll also find a large group of Yankee fans who just plain love the game of baseball and try not to hate anyone or anything that's good for the game. And the way Fox is promoting things, the rivalry seems to be good for the game.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    I don't hate the players, nor do I hate many of their fans. I dislike the ones with the extreme inferiority complex, the ones that seem to care more about the Yanks losing than the Sox winning. The ones that talk like their winning is a sure thing. I acknowledge that there are the same amount of obnoxious Yankee fans, but the question was why do we dislike the Sox.
    Life is good!

that's right
    Originally posted by nufced1918
    We recently invited fans from NYYfans.com to discuss "Why do Yankee fans hate the Red Sox?" One notable response was "why do dogs chase cats?"

I think it goes much deeper than that. The Red Sox are the one sure thing a Yankees fan has, and WHEN we win I am not sure they would know how to handle it.
    Here we go again.

I think I'd "handle it" just fine. I'd be angry as all heck because yes, I hate the Red Sox. It's the way it's supposed to be. The Sox are good, the Yankees are my passion. The Red Sox are an obstacle in our path. I must hate them. It makes things more fun.

Then again, I'm not the one gloating in gamethreads on Red Sox message boards.

Originally posted by bakntime

Here we go again.

I think I'd "handle it" just fine. I'd be angry as all heck because yes, I hate the Red Sox. It's the way it's supposed to be. The Sox are good, the Yankees are my passion. The Red Sox are an obstacle in our path. I must hate them. It makes things more fun.

Then again, I'm not the one gloating in gamethreads on Red Sox message boards.
    Gloating in the game threads is trolling IMO.

At least he isn't linking that clock of his.

I don't hate the Red Sox nor do I hate Red Sox fans. In general I hate certain kinds of fan behavior but those behaviors are displayed by fans of every team, not just Red Sox fans. Sure, there are some things that certain Red Sox players have done that I don't care for but there are also Red Sox players who I think are good guys like Nomar. There are also Red Sox players whose talent I have to respect like Pedro, Schilling or Manny.

-Deborah

Originally posted by 25Giambi25
    I can only answer for myself, but in all honesty I think that the reason that I hate Red Sox fans is because they hate me.
    I think that's the root of most of it. I don't hate anyone, but if my neighbor was selling 'patrick.o sucks' t-shirts and had a 'patrick.o sucks' bumper sticker and stood on his front lawn chanting 'patrick.o sucks', well, I might be tempted to dislike him. I have a lot of friends who are Sox fans and we get along just fine. I also know plenty of people who claim to be Sox fans but are Yankees haters much more than they are Sox fans, and I have no use for their verbal diharrea, except for on the rare occasion when I feel like shutting them down with some smack talk.
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds - Robert Nesta Marley

all very interesting answers, and i'm glad you guys were willing to take the time.

this one i found especially interesting:

Originally posted by bakntime
    I'd be angry as all heck because yes, I hate the Red Sox. It's the way it's supposed to be. The Sox are good, the Yankees are my passion. The Red Sox are an obstacle in our path. I must hate them. It makes things more fun.
    does this make the red sox more of an obstacle than, say, the white sox? i don't mean to be flippant. seriously. do you pretty much hate every team that might beat the yankees?

i doubt it. in my case, at least, i'm not going to go around saying that i hate the blue jays because they beat us last night (actually, it was more like we beat ourselves).

it's no secret that you guys win every goddamn time. how does this make the sox an obstacle?

thanks again, and enjoy the series this weekend.

Originally posted by Peteybird

it's no secret that you guys win every goddamn time. how does this make the sox an obstacle?

The 2003 ALCS went to seven games and extra innings; I'd say that's a bit of an obstacle.

Released Outright
    I'll tell you why I hate the Yankees. It has nothing to do with the championships. It's that the arrogance that oozes out of the organization from top to bottom is disgraceful:

Darth Steinbrenner assuming that the entire MLB is his farm team.
    The YES Network and radio announcers. How many championships have been won since the "Network of Champions" has been on the air?
    The ridiculous 10 minute "God Bless America" tribute every home game done to ice the opposing pitcher.
    The Press Secretary ordering around a Red Sox gate operator in Ft. Myers proclaiming that he's with the "American League champion NY Yankees."
    Jeter whining everytime he gets a called third strike assuming that every pitch he doesn't swing at must be a ball.
    Karim Garcia and Jeff Nelson beating up and kicking a member of the groundscrew when he was down.

I don't have any problem with most of the players, coaches or fans. I love the rivalry. Nothing beats Sox vs. Yanks.

The Source

Originally posted by HoustonSoxFan
    Jeter whining everytime he gets a called third strike assuming that every pitch he doesn't swing at must be a ball.
    And he is the only major leaguer who does that... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by patrick.o

I think that's the root of most of it. I don't hate anyone, but if my neighbor was selling 'patrick.o sucks' t-shirts and had a 'patrick.o sucks' bumper sticker and stood on his front lawn chanting 'patrick.o sucks', well, I might be tempted to dislike him. I have a lot of friends who are Sox fans and we get along just fine. I also know plenty of people who claim to be Sox fans but are Yankees haters much more than they are Sox fans, and I have no use for their verbal diharrea, except for on the rare occasion when I feel like shutting them down with some smack talk.
    I love the neighbor analogy. It's very true, if you kept competing over girls with him and always won out, and he did that, you'd still dislike him, even though you won. I don't really hate Sox fans, I hate the ones that want the Yanks to lose more than they want the Sox to win, as some have said. By the way, is he still selling the t-shirts, and, if so, how can I get one?
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

Thread Information