Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

ESPN versus New York Yankees

Interesting article with Torre comments. I don't know if it's much of an escalation, but I liked Torre's response.
    ESPN reporter Bob Holtzman asked Torre whether Alex Rodriguez' offensive slump was due to "pressing or confidence?" Torre looked incredulous and said, "What would he not be confident about?" Torre then touched the identifying logo on the microphone and said, "ESPN, yes, that's a question you would ask."
    http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/19144.htm

NYYF Triple Crown

Holy crap. Joe, you're my hero.

[IMG]http://johnedwards.com/assets/downloads/email-signature.jpg[/IMG]

Looks like they are finally coming out and saying it

Wait; are you actually implying that ESPN is biased AGAINST the Yankees? The same ESPN that still runs a regular column called 'Baseball in the Big Apple', where 1 of every 20 stories is about the Mets?

Come on, now.

This is almost as baffling as some Yankee fans perspective that Tim McCarver is anti-Yankee.
    [url=http://www.portlandsoxfan.com]PSF.com[/url]

Addicted Member

WAY TO GO , JOE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

outstanding!

Torre nailed it. They've been that way for years, but it's gotten much more shrill the past couple years.

Released Outright
    Objects in your rear view mirror are still behind you...
    Well i think they Yankees obviously do know that ESPN has a bias away from them, but they're not gonna lower themselves and start some war with ESPN....that channel means nothing...they've been saying the Red Sox will win the world series every year since their inception..who cares about what they have to say

NYYF Cy Young

Originally posted by BruceCampbellKG7
    Well i think they Yankees obviously do know that ESPN has a bias away from them, but they're not gonna lower themselves and start some war with ESPN....that channel means nothing...they've been saying the Red Sox will win the world series every year since their inception..who cares about what they have to say
    Agreed.

-Triple G

How do we know that Torre was actually referring to a belief that ESPN is biased against the Yankees? Seems to me he is more likely making a general commentary about the type of questions and level of journalism displayed by ESPN lately overall towards all teams and all sports. Of course, that's if he even made the comment in the first place or whether the context it's reported in is correct since this is in the Post.

-Deborah

Good to see Torre taking ESPN on even in such as small way. The NFL intimidated ESPN into backing down on "Playmakers." Perhaps if ESPN sees that the Yankees are not taking their crap lying down any more, ESPN will stop beating up on the Yankees for fun.

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by PortlandSoxFan
    Wait; are you actually implying that ESPN is biased AGAINST the Yankees? The same ESPN that still runs a regular column called 'Baseball in the Big Apple', where 1 of every 20 stories is about the Mets?

Come on, now.

This is almost as baffling as some Yankee fans perspective that Tim McCarver is anti-Yankee.
    No, we mean the same ESPN that put the Yankees on trial in a bit titled "Break Up the Bombers."
    Jay Buhner for Ken Phelps!?!?

Just Flanders being Flanders. Stupid Flanders's Avatar
    ESPN's coverage has seemed a lot like NESN lately.

I take that back, NESN has seem less biased.

Good for Joe.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

Originally posted by silverdsl
    Seems to me he is more likely making a general commentary about the type of questions and level of journalism displayed by ESPN lately overall towards all teams and all sports.
    That's how I read it, too.

NYYF HOF

Way to go Joe I truly believe that the only one on Baseball Tonight who's not biased towards the Yankees is Harold Reynolds. If i'm mistaken please tell me i am

I've been really disappointed in ESPN's coverage in general the last year or so. Their coverage of the offseason hot stove action was, I thought, ridiculous, as it seemed like the only two teams in baseball were the Red Sox and Yankees, which I think is bad for the sport. If you're a Royals fan, do you think you'd be watching the offseason coverage when all you hear is Peter Gammons talking about how the A-Rod trade to the Red Sox is a "done deal" (look what happened, Peter)?

Not only that, but their game coverage staff leaves much to be desired. I honestly need to turn the sound off my TV when Joe Morgan is covering a game.

One of my friends was wrestling for the national championship a few weeks ago, and they went to commercial before his match, coming back 1 minute into the match, missing his takedown and back points. All in all, I didn't see a single one of the points he scored, because they had to squeeze in an extra commercial for Club Med. It was sickening.

I feel like ESPN, instead of being the network for real sports fans that it claims to be, is becoming (or has become) more of a marketing tool and huge moneymaker trying to garner a larger audience (trying to attract the halfhearted sports fan who needs all the stupid fanfare in order to pay attention).

And, please, enough of all this "Curse" and "Break up the Yankees" garbage, ESPN. We've heard it way too many times and I don't think anyone enjoys it anymore.

That, I definitely agree with.

ESPN has been pretty irrelevant to me for a few years now. I can get my news, scores, and hilights from a multitude of places...unless an actual game is on that I can't watch anywhere else, I rarely find myself stopping on ESPN.

As for their website; forget it. Could it BE more clunky and bloated?
    [url=http://www.portlandsoxfan.com]PSF.com[/url]

Originally posted by jpao89

No, we mean the same ESPN that put the Yankees on trial in a bit titled "Break Up the Bombers."

And what was the outcome of that "trial"? Maybe they're biased and I don't see it b/c I am, but this argument loses some credibility when people claim, like somebody did yesterday, that ESPN announcer David Justice is anti-Yankee. I didn't watch their broadcast (I watched NESN's, not knowing it was on ESPN), but I found it a bit surprising that former Yankee Justice had that bias.

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by cubswin

And what was the outcome of that "trial"? Maybe they're biased and I don't see it b/c I am, but this argument loses some credibility when people claim, like somebody did yesterday, that ESPN announcer David Justice is anti-Yankee. I didn't watch their broadcast (I watched NESN's, not knowing it was on ESPN), but I found it a bit surprising that former Yankee Justice had that bias.
    And why hold the trial in the first place? Too bad for ESPN it backfired miserably.
    Jay Buhner for Ken Phelps!?!?

Really? Boy I find that David is almost having a lovefest with the Yankees. He really reeeeally talks them up. Now I'm a huge Yankee fan, but I'd rather have balanced announcing than that.
    "Have faith in the Yankees my son. Think of the great DiMaggio."
    --Santiago, from "The Old Man and the Sea"

NYYF Triple Crown

The only thing I can fault Justice with is not shutting the hell up sometimes. Man that guy can talk.
    [IMG]http://johnedwards.com/assets/downloads/email-signature.jpg[/IMG]

Originally posted by yanksrule51

The only thing I can fault Justice with is not shutting the hell up sometimes. Man that guy can talk.
    Agreed, and I guess his equivalent in the bizarro world would be Bret Boone. Did that guy say a single word during the ALCS last year? I don't think so. What a stellar idea by ESPN to bring him on.

Originally posted by jpao89

And why hold the trial in the first place? Too bad for ESPN it backfired miserably.

Well, like it or not, it is an issue in baseball today. And Sox fans aren't the only ones who "hate" the Yanks. (Aside: last week I was in San Diego, and a boy (maybe 10?) in the hotel lobby said something to his dad along the lines of "I hope Jeter and A-Rod both get hurt." His dad, I was glad to hear, told him that was a bad thing to say, and then asked him why he felt that way, and he replied that he just hates them and the Yankees, b/c they're all big names and it annoys him. I have no reason to think that boy or father were Sox fans.) But money and payrolls are a problem, at both ends of the spectrum, IMO. The "trial" was a bit gimmicky, but at least it was a diffferent take on things. (I didn't watch it, but my guess is it didn't exactly "backfire" -- this presupposes bias and as well as the show being independent in terms of the outcome.)

NYYF Cy Young

Did anyone see that thing on Saturday, announcing Sunday's starters? They showed a comparison box of Kevin Brown vs. Bronson Arroyo, showing, among other things, Brown's 8-figure salary vs. Arroyo's low 6-figure one. Total crap. Do you think we'll see a box with Alex Graman's tiny salary against Mark Buehrle's larger one? Of course not. Everyone likes to talk about how much the big evil Yankees are paid. As if, with the Sox, it was really relevant when they were playing the team with the #2 payroll...

NYYF Legend

anyone see the new layout for page 2 on ESPN?

it's... so ugly and clunky

Thread Information