Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Released Outright
    Originally posted by pacewon

It's hard for me not to. The Yankees had guys on base in every inning against those guys and NOBODY could deliver a huge hit. They did what they had to do and picked up W's but it's hard for me to give them too much credit when I see the Yankees offense sleep walk for an entire 4-game series (save for 2 innings).
    It's chicken and the egg: did the Yanks not hit or did the SOx pitchers make key pitches when they had to?

To continue a bad pun: I wouldn't put all the eggs in either basket.

No need to jump off (insert NYC bridge name here) yet.
    The lineup you all are running out there is going to produce, it can't NOT produce given who's in it.
    Given all that happened this winter I thought the one spot the Yanks had a HUGE edge over most teams in this league was the bullpen, if those arms stay healthy your bullpen will be a good one.
    It's a 4 game series in April for whatever that's worth, glad it was us that won the 3 though. With the new unbalanced divisional schedule, winning inside the division is as important, if not moreso, than it was in past years. Main problem IMO is there are no patsies in this division this year, every team can hit.
    I think the team that pitches and catches best, and most consistent, has a HUGE edge.

P.S. Anyone sending me private messages in the inbox here, I can't respond due to the low number of posts I have, or have not made.

Addicted Member

Originally posted by gehrig38
    The lineup you all are running out there is going to produce, it can't NOT produce given who's in it.
    Given all that happened this winter I thought the one spot the Yanks had a HUGE edge over most teams in this league was the bullpen, if those arms stay healthy your bullpen will be a good one.
    It's a 4 game series in April for whatever that's worth, glad it was us that won the 3 though. With the new unbalanced divisional schedule, winning inside the division is as important, if not moreso, than it was in past years. Main problem IMO is there are no patsies in this division this year, every team can hit.
    I think the team that pitches and catches best, and most consistent, has a HUGE edge.
    Well you sure shut the yanks down pretty well on saturday. Something we aren't used to seeing with this offense, and something that is pissing everyone off after spending $180+ million on our roster.

NYYF MVP

Wakefield.

I tell yooz, you want to put the Yankees in a 0-1 hole in the playoffs? Start Wakefield in Game 1. I don't like our chances against Schilling either. The Yankees simply cannot beat either one.

But, if you can't hit a pitch that is "whistling" toward you at 50 mph, maybe you deserve to lose.

It has been a bad start, all-around for our beloved Yankees. I bought $400.00 worth of nice seats for the series against the White Sox at the Cell. Please don't stink. That's all I ask.
    I LOVE New York!!!
    VIVE LA FRANCE!!!

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by pacewon

It's hard for me not to. The Yankees had guys on base in every inning against those guys and NOBODY could deliver a huge hit. They did what they had to do and picked up W's but it's hard for me to give them too much credit when I see the Yankees offense sleep walk for an entire 4-game series (save for 2 innings).
    Combine that with the Yankees sleepwalking in in the field, and the Yankees were lucky to have at least won a single game. I mean we saw from the very 1st sux batter on Friday, Giambi couldn't make the play followed by Jeter, then Jeter and Clark on Saturday, followed by Arod and Matsui today. I was very disappointed with the Yankee effort all-around.

Giambi-bashing bewilders me pacewon's Avatar
    Originally posted by Bosox Guy in Chitown

It's chicken and the egg: did the Yanks not hit or did the SOx pitchers make key pitches when they had to?

To continue a bad pun: I wouldn't put all the eggs in either basket.
    View it however you wish. But in my opinion, the Yankees didn't hit (and I'll back it up by saying we didn't hit D-Rays pitching, or White Sox pitching either, the Sox pitchers didn't exactly stifle a hot offense).

Had the Yankees offense been right they would have scored a bunch of Wake and Schilling the way they were putting guys on base. If you think that was a good outing by Schilling on Saturday you're gonna be delightfully surprised when you see him have a real good outing.

Giambi-bashing bewilders me pacewon's Avatar
    Originally posted by 2JAY
    Combine that with the Yankees sleepwalking in in the field, and the Yankees were lucky to have at least won a single game. I mean we saw from the very 1st sux batter on Friday, Giambi couldn't make the play followed by Jeter, then Jeter and Clark on Saturday, followed by Arod and Matsui today. I was very disappointed with the Yankee effort all-around.
    Agreed.

I'm very pleased by the bullpen.

And that's it.

Originally posted by Chairman-of-TheBoard
    I tell yooz, you want to put the Yankees in a 0-1 hole in the playoffs? Start Wakefield in Game 1.
    Agreed. I'd rather face Schilling than Wakefield.

Released Outright
    P.S. Anyone sending me private messages in the inbox here, I can't respond due to the low number of posts I have, or have not made.
    Ah, thank you for letting me... er... us know.

Released Outright
    Wakefield.

I tell yooz, you want to put the Yankees in a 0-1 hole in the playoffs? Start Wakefield in Game 1. I don't like our chances against Schilling either. The Yankees simply cannot beat either one.

But, if you can't hit a pitch that is "whistling" toward you at 50 mph, maybe you deserve to lose.

It has been a bad start, all-around for our beloved Yankees. I bought $400.00 worth of nice seats for the series against the White Sox at the Cell. Please don't stink. That's all I ask.
    There are no nice seats at "the dump on the south side." Hope you enjoy the games, though.

NYYF MVP

I don't get it. Certain teams pummel the $&#* out of Wakefield and his knuckleball. We NEVER hit it. With the exception of Aaron Boone, Wakefield killed us repeatedly. If you want to trade for anyone, trade for Wakefield!!!

But, if you can't hit a slow pitch, you deserve to lose.

My deep concern is the wrath of the Boss. The Yankees play/record coupled with Steinbrenner's monetary efforts and 1-3 versus Boston... I hope it doesn't get too ugly too soon.
    I LOVE New York!!!
    VIVE LA FRANCE!!!

Originally posted by ACPS
    I may vomit.
    To me the Yankees sitaution was summed up when Bernie caught a deep fly ball to right center and then flipped it to Sheff, (the way sometimes outfeilders will do to each other after a catch) so he could throw it in. Sheff didnt know it was coming and it dropped. Its all about playing together, building relationships and knowing each other....You cant put a bunch of superstars together and expect them to win instantly. The New York Rangers have tried it for years, and failed miserably. The LA Lakers have struggled with it themselves this year. But Baseball IS NOT Basketball in that 16 teams make the playoffs. I hope that by time they do come around, its not too late this year. JMO

Thanks for the post Curt, I for one agree with your assesment of this series and this team. While it was painful to watch how poorly the Yankees played this weekend, and how they failed to hit, they will eventually get their hits, and thier stats at the end of the season will be somewhere close to what they are capable of. It is too early to panic, and too early to start lynching anyone. I would have preferred to see the Yankees win of course, but I have faith that they will not play this poorly all season. The AL East has gotten much stronger this year, and there will not be as many "easy" wins for anybody. I am more concerned with Moose and Contreras at the moment, and even they should get back on track at some point.
    It's April...the games count, but they are not in the heat of a September pennant race. We can expect them to lose over 60 games this season, let's just chalk these up as 3 of the 60+ and move on. Giambi didn't shake his "New York Slump" until mid-May in his first year. Alex will snap out of it...I just hope it's sooner rather than later.
    And Curt? Keep posting so you can start using the Private Message feature!

NYYF MVP

There are no nice seats at "the dump on the south side." Hope you enjoy the games, though.
    Well, I'll be sitting in lower box seats, so I hope they aren't too bad. I just hope we are spared the painful experience of facing Esteban Loaiza.
    I LOVE New York!!!
    VIVE LA FRANCE!!!

I don't get it. Certain teams pummel the $&#* out of Wakefield and his knuckleball. We NEVER hit it. With the exception of Aaron Boone, Wakefield killed us repeatedly. If you want to trade for anyone, trade for Wakefield!!!
    No. Knuckleballers can be spotty. When they're on, they're on, but when they aren't, they are horrible. He's been tough lately, but that doesn't mean he won't get creamed down the road. Actually, I think he likes big games against the Yankees, so in that respect, he's a gamer.

NYYF Cy Young

"Bernie is out centerfielder. I don't know how long it is going to take for people to figure that out. A Rod is sucking, let's bench him too!"

I know it was a slip. you meant "our" centerfielder... but you may have got it right anyway. He is surely our "OUT" centerfielder!

Released Outright

Well, I'll be sitting in lower box seats, so I hope they aren't too bad. I just hope we are spared the painful experience of facing Esteban Loaiza.
    No, actually they're not too bad in the boxes. They do face straight ahead, however, so get ready to stare out into centerfield or to get a kink in your neck from looking left or right at the plate.

I'm anxious to see what you think of White Sox fans. When the Red Sox are in town I go the games. They say nothing, absolutely nothing.

I EXPECT to take some good natured ribbing for rooting for the visiting team, but it has not happened yet. I guess if you are not a Cubs fan you're in the clear. Also, last time I was there I was in a section with as many Red Sox fans as White Sox fans.

NYYF Legend

The funny thing is, up until the middle part of last year, the Yankees had pretty good success against Wakefield. But for whatever reason, he's become almost like Sandy Koufax against them now.

One series means nothing but to win 3 of 4 without Nomar or Trot bodes well

Cya Friday
    [img]http://ideaspot.net/mlb/AL_East/small/rsox2-sm.gif[/img]
    [size=1]Fenway Park goes dark now. For a while. No "Sweet Caroline." No "Dirty Water." No "Tessie" sweeping up on the big board while the Dropkick Murphys send everybody home with a smile. The only activity at the yard in the next 11 days will be the Sox grounds crew pondering where to put the World Series logo in the grass behind home plate.[color=red][b] Dan Shaughnessy[/b][/size][/color]

Classy post on your part, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Like Curt said, though, not even the rose-colored-glasses-wearing red sox fans can expect the Yankees to continue playing like this. I agree that it seems to be a general attitude/morale problem more than a lack of discipline (much less talent), but it's partially the fact that the Red Sox and Yankees are such darn good teams. With the exception of Anaheim, there's really no other team out there that I respect as a threat.

C'mon now... Kevin Brown goes 3-0 in 3 starts without giving up an earned run, but it's against the Devil Rays (who to be fair, played you guys pretty hard). Against the Sox, he is good but not quite spectacular. What sort of opponent are you more likely to see for most of the year? My point is, these Yankees/Sox series are fun to watch, but the division will be won based on how we do against other opponents. Consider BaltiLess... they gave us fits last year (we barely won season series 10-9), they're giving us fits this year, whereas they always seem to roll over and play dead when the Yankees come to town. We'll see how that plays out, how consistent both teams can be in rolling over the Clevelands of the league.
    Warning: Red Sox Fan! (but I'm not a troll). ICQ: 6854118 // SoSH handle: Denzera
    "Illegal Chop, #13 offense. 90 Foot penalty, 2 outs" -sfip, SoSH

Forum Regular

I hate to agree, but I will. Truth be told, I was nervous about this series coming in given that the Sox are without Nixon, Nomar and BK Kim. I was expecting a split, so 3 of 4 is treat given how beat up the regulars are.
    i wish people would stop saying that not having BK Kim in this series was a bad thing for the BoSox. Nixon, yes. Nomar, absolutley, BUT BK Kim hasn't been worth anything since 2001 WS GM5
    Remember our Captain...[B]8/2/79[/B]
    Friends, it is time to stop BOOING A-ROD!!!!!!!
    RETIRE #21!!!!
    "I don't like to lose" Derek Jeter
    "The lord is a Yankee" Mariano Rivera

Originally posted by fdabosox

i wish people would stop saying that not having BK Kim in this series was a bad thing for the BoSox. Nixon, yes. Nomar, absolutley, BUT BK Kim hasn't been worth anything since 2001 WS GM5
    I don't know about this. I'll admit that I don't have the utmost faith in BK, especially against the Yankees (I actually thought he had shaken his troubles until Posada hit an absolute bomb to dead center off him in the late august series at Fenway last year), but I think having him on the DL has already hurt the Sox, though maybe not in this series.

I'll admit that he's not one of our premier pitchers, but not having Arroyo for long relief has really hurt us, in my opinion. Having to bring Frank Castillo (!!) back and bring guys like Bobby Jones and Phil Seibel (though, to his credit, he pitched well yesterday) in addition to overworking Timlin, SWilly, and, to some extent, though Francona won't admit it, Foulke, has been tough.

Here's hoping that BK finishes up a speedy recovery and stays off the DL. Of course, given the history, all the Yankee fans on this board will probably agree

Forum Regular

Originally posted by TrotNixon7

Here's hoping that BK finishes up a speedy recovery and stays off the DL. Of course, given the history, all the Yankee fans on this board will probably agree
    Here Here Get Well BK and soon, hopefully by this weeked : )
    Remember our Captain...[B]8/2/79[/B]
    Friends, it is time to stop BOOING A-ROD!!!!!!!
    RETIRE #21!!!!
    "I don't like to lose" Derek Jeter
    "The lord is a Yankee" Mariano Rivera

Forum Regular

Originally posted by fdabosox

Yeah, you're right, a 24 year old who threw up a 140-something ERA+ last year can't POSSIBLY benefit our team... :rolleyes:

Thanks for your assessment Schill, and thanks for shutting them down on Saturday! You pitched wicked good, guy...

Originally posted by Doc's Private Stash

Yeah, you're right, a 24 year old who threw up a 140-something ERA+ last year can't POSSIBLY benefit our team... :rolleyes:
    My post above (about BK being hurt = detrimental to the Sox) referred more to the resulting lack of long relief in the bullpen, but I go back and forth on BK. I keep hearing (and I used to say it too, especially right after we traded hack-away-hillenbrand) that he has such a tremendous upside, but I'm wondering when that's gonna kick in. He's fared pretty well so far statistically, but it just feels like hitters can figure out his delivery when they face him more than once or twice in a ballgame. The physics of it also favor power hitters (the ball rises toward the batter, resulting in a longball whenever the batter gets the meat of the bat on the pitch). Most importantly, he doesn't seem to have an out pitch. I can remember so many times last season when he would get hitters in 0-2 counts and proceed to walk them or give up base hits. Anyway, I want to believe in the upside, but color me still a bit skeptical.

Anyway, I know this thread isn't about BK, but I just thought I'd throw my two cents in about this ancillary topic.

Thread Information