+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Bring on October!! nyyfanatic85's Avatar

Favorite Baseball Announcers (all-time)

Mike Shannon is great to listen to. Some of my other favorites are Hughes/Santo (Cubs), John Rooney, Vin Scully, and Charlie Steiner.
    Global Warming and climate change hysteria could well represent the historical pinnacle of collective insanity.

NYYF Legend

As a Yankee fan, you gotta love Rizzuto. His comments were pure poetry! And if you don't believe me, search Amazon to find that book of "poetry" that came straight from his game broadcasts!

Originally posted by penfold
    As a Yankee fan, you gotta love Rizzuto. His comments were pure poetry! And if you don't believe me, search Amazon to find that book of "poetry" that came straight from his game broadcasts!
    I've never had the chance to listen to him
    Global Warming and climate change hysteria could well represent the historical pinnacle of collective insanity.

Smashed 5 cellphones due to... Espinosa's Glasses's Avatar
    Harry Kalas... ... III'd liiiike to wish a happy birthday to Betty in Conshohocken sheee's niiiiinety niiiiiiine today!

he's boring but he cracks me up

NYYF Legend

Mel Allen, Phil Rizzuto, John Sterling and Harry Carry
    Crush it with your mind vice.

I love Rizzuto...but some credit has to go to Bill White too...they played off of each other incredibly well. I really miss hearing the two of them every time Im forced to listen to Kay. I wish they could bring Rizzuto back for even just ONE game.

Why no love for Ernie Harwell?

Ernie Harwell for his memorable last game as the voice of the Detroit Tigers.

Vin Scully for his memorable calls including "3 and 2 to Mookie Wilson..." you know the rest.

Phil Rizzuto, Mel Allen, John Sterling, Harry Caray, Harry Kalas
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!
    Originally posted by SubwayFanatic
    Why no love for Ernie Harwell?
    He and Scooter are tied. I wish I'd heard Joe Buck, since I heard he was great also. Since team announcers weren't excluded, I'd add Bob Sheppard.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Addicted Member
    The Scooter

"Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."
    George Steinbrenner

One of the GREATEST books EVER written.

It's called Oh Holy Cow! The Selected Verse of Phil Rizzuto edited by Tom Peyer & Hart Seely.

I have the book and very often reread it. If you are a Yankee Fan during the time Phil was on the air, you'll remember just about every passage in the book. It is a Masterpiece.

Phil is by far my all time favorite announcer. When you added Bill White to the mix... it was pure magic.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

Ralph Kiner and Tim McCarver were a good team in the Mets heyday in the late 80's. This was before McCarver became full of himself and prior to him making his comments more important than the game.

Back in the day, Tim brought the best out in Ralph and it was the first time I ever heard such a good mix of analysis and interesting conversation.

When the Yanks hired him I was thrilled. But unfortunately, the Yanks got the annoying version of Tim.

NYYF Legend

Good ol' Vin Scully.

Probably my favorite famous quote of his:
    "In a year that has been so improbable, the impossible has happened."
    -after Gibby's Game 1 homer in '88

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/quot...y_quotes.shtml

I've never seen anything but brief clips of the Sandy Koufax perfect game in '65. I just found that link, and I scrolled down and read the transcript of Vinny's call of the 9th inning of that game, and I could see exactly what happened, even though I've never fully, really seen it visually before. And what's remarkable, is that he does the exact same thing over a hundred times a year, every game he calls.

I wonder how he'd call a football game. If there's anyone besides Lynn Swann who could put poetry in motion in a football game, it'd have to be him.
    NYYFFFL: Impact Litigators

NYYF Triple Crown

Scooter.

Not in any particular order...

Phil Rizzuto
    Bill White (deep to left, Yastrzemski will not get it, it's a home run!!)
    Frank Messer
    Tony Kubek
    Jim Kaat
    Bobby Murcer
    Ken Singleton
    John Sterling
    "Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president" ~ Theodore Roosevelt
    UACC: Universal Autograph Collectors Club

Harry Kalas, Richie Ashburn, Harry Carry, Andy Musser, and Ernie Hartwell..definites
    Harry the K's Legends: 2009 Champs, 2010 Ruth Division Champions

R.I.P Harry Kalas...Say hi to whitey for me

Right near old St. Patricks and NYC's oldest manhole cover
    I'm a young guy, so I haven't heard many different announcers.

Sterling and Steiner are like part of the landscape of summer for me.

Also, despite what I know a lot of people think of him, I think Joe Buck does a good job. He keeps his words to a minimum.

NYYF Legend

I listened to Ernie Harwell & George Kell as a kid in Detroit. Even after Kell retired from broadcasting, Ernie kept at it for another 20+ years with a variety of co-commentators, including Al Kaline for few years.

Listened to Scooter & White after moving to Florida in the late 70's on WPIX...they were quite the pair...

Suspended
    I'll tell you who its not. Joe Buck and Tim McCarver. What a couple of wastes of life they are. I don't know why everyone kisses their asses all the time. They make the playoffs unpleasant.

Bill White and Frank Messer were great announcers and they were great with the scooter. I learned a lot of baseball from those guys and they knew the game was the story, not them.

Jack Buck was great too. Unfortunataly he passed away but he was the voice of summer if you were a Cardinals fan.

Originally posted by Winfield31

I love Rizzuto...but some credit has to go to Bill White too...they played off of each other incredibly well. I really miss hearing the two of them every time Im forced to listen to Kay. I wish they could bring Rizzuto back for even just ONE game.
    I agree 100%...Phil is probably the most beloved Yankee and the Yankee who loves the team more than any other player...

Bill White was a gem also with Frank Messer excellent also rest his soul...

Addicted Member
    Hello there everybody....

Mel Allen
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."
    George Steinbrenner

Buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

In fact, buy it through the Link for Amazon below & get a great book and help this Web Site out.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

I grew up with The Scooter & Bill White. They are my all-time fave's. So many great child-hood memories. Sterling/Kay in the late 90's are some more great memories.
    There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball.

Thread Information