+ Reply to Thread
    Released Outright

1959 Yankees-What happened?

Did anybody here see the 1959 Yankees? I've always been curious to know what went wrong that year.They were so dominant in the 50's and then the early 60's, but that one year they fell apart.How?
    On paper they ranked pretty good in the league, but there stats went out of wack.
    Mantle led the team with 75 RBI,then Howard 73,Richardson 69,Berra 69,Skowron,58, Siebern 53, then Bauer 39.
    Mantle hit 31 homers, but nobody else hit even 20. Richardson had 301 BA,but that was it for 300
    Skowron 298
    Mantle 285
    Lopez 283
    Berra 284
    Kubek 279
    Howard 273
    Siebern 271
    McDougald 251
    Bauer 238.
    Does anybody remember this team, and how did they drop from such a dominant team throughout the 50's, to that 1959 season. I never understood that

NYYF Cy Young

Re: 1959 Yankees-What happened?

Originally posted by LL78

Does anybody remember this team, and how did they drop from such a dominant team throughout the 50's, to that 1959 season. I never understood that
    While I never saw that team, looking at the stats it just seemed like the team never clicked or got going that year. Another interesting stat was the pitching was not what you would expect; a lot of starters with ERA in the 4's but I really don't know if that had anything to do with it because they had a team ERA of 3.60 which is still pretty good.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/te...59_sched.shtml

There is a link to some interesting info. Scored 687 while giving up 647. A ton of close games going 23-24, not a good start of the year and they really did not play much better at home then they did on the Road. Gotta win those home games!

Plus don't forget The Indians & White Soxs had good teams that year. . . I'd like to hear from someone who saw the team as I can't tell you exactly why they finished in 3rd with such a good team.

-Triple G

NYYF Legend

If I remember 1959 was the year of the "go-go" White Sox. Hey we won the Al pennent from 1949 to 1953 losing in 1954 to Cleveland and then going on another run from 1955 to 1958. You gotta lose sometime. I'll have to look it up but I think our pitching fell apart that year.

I think defense was a problem. Moose was hurt and Marvelous Marv Throneberry (Dr Strangeglove) played half a season at first and Hector Lopez at third and Norm Sieburn didn't exactly use thier gloves well.

Ford, Turley and Larsen had off years and Terry was hurt part of the year. Their relief staff led by Ryne Duran couldn't hold a lead.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Andy

The Yanks did have an off year in 1959. However, you must also remember that the White Sox were the winners, because they had a great manager, Al Lopez, who is still living in his 90's in Florida. This is the same Al Lopez who led the Indians in 1954 and finished second to the Yanks most of the other years in the 50's. I have always felt that if it were Lopez managing the Yanks during those years they probably would have won every year from 1949 til 1964! Of course, Casey's legend would have never happened then.

NYYF Cy Young

I wonder if the Yankees had Roger Maris on the 1959 Team if they would have faired any better?

Nome, great post thanks for the info! I enjoy hearing about all the Yankee History!

-Triple G

Released Outright

Re: Andy

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sixty one
    [B]The Yanks did have an off year in 1959.

Yeah, i just wondered why so many of the Yankees did that year, and only that year.Granted the Indians and White Sox had great teams, but the Yankees didn't only play them.When one thinks of the 1961 Yankees, you gotta believe that was on of the great Yankee teams.But its interesting looking at this,that the only real major difference in PLAYERS was, Maris.The 61 Yankees gelled, but i just wonder why not the 59.The pitching was pretty much the same too.Actually some of the players in 59 had slightly better stats than 61. It seems when i look at it that the big number improvements of Elston Howard and Johnny Blanchard they made the difference, plus Maris and, Mantle having a Mantle like year.Actually most of the other players had ( believe it or not ) slightly better stats in 59.
    Richardson 1961 261 BA 1959 301
    Berra 271 284
    Lopez 222 283
    kubek 276 279
    Skowron 267 298

Howard went from 1959 273 to 1961 348
    Blanchard 169 305
    Add Mantles Big year and Maris, that was the difference.The homeruns too.But they were mostly Mantle and Maris.HR per at bat were the same practically for Berra,Howard,Skowron,Richardson,Kubek,( Lopez in 59 had 5 more than Boyer in 61 at 3rd base), Mantle went from 31 to 54, add Maris at 61, and then Blanchard at a jump fronm 2 to 21 and thats the difference
    So it looks like the pitching of Ford and Terry picked up too but also hard to figure, since these three had better won-loss percentage in 61, they also had about the same era's.Actually Ford and Turley had better era's in 59
    Ford 1959 16-10 3.04 era 1961 25-4 3.21
    Terry 3-7 3.39 era 16-3 3.15
    Turley 8-11 4.32 era 3-5 5.75
    Maybe it wasthe 1961 Luis Arroyo at 15-5 in the bullpen who made the differnce
    But 1959 had Bobby Shantz and Jim Coates at a combined 13-4. I just dont know, and i guess i never will, unless someone who saw the 1959 Yankees can put his or her finger on exactly what happened.
    Doesn't really matter, just wondered what happened

Released Outright
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by TripleG23
    [B]I wonder if the Yankees had Roger Maris on the 1959 Team if they would have faired any better?

Very true, nobody in their right mind would dispute that.But that does not explain the decline in Mantle that year and the rest of the team.
    Ford and Terry combined 1959 19-17
    1961 51-7
    Those are big differences, and i was looking for an intellegent response from maybe someone who saw them.I could have guessed that too.
    The Yankees had Roger in 1965, any idea how they faired? A hell of alot worse than 1959.

Released Outright
    And they faired very well indeed without him all throughout the 50's.Only question mark from the dynasty years that i have is what happened to 1959.If nobody saw them and has a real anawer then it will in my mind remain a question mark, no biggie.But to say Roger would have made the difference, well, DUH, but he wasn't there till 1960.Wasn't the dynasty still going all along, or did Roger start a new one in 1960?

NYYF Legend

All players have injuries and slumps. All I can figure is the Yankees all slumped and went through an unusual injury record thay year.

I have always said that if you could predict the outcome of the game and year before it started, why watch it? That's what is so great - it's unpredictability

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Forum Regular

1959 was the last year that Yogi was the primary backstop. Elston Howard caught more games in 1960 and took over for good in 1961. That could have made a difference.

Thread Information