+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    Bring on October!! nyyfanatic85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Where Word Travels Faster Than Light

    Any News on BK Kim?

    How is his injury coming along? I want to be sure this guy will be ready for the first Yanks-Sox series.
    Global Warming and climate change hysteria could well represent the historical pinnacle of collective insanity.

  2. #2
    My guess is that you won't see Kim pitching until May for the Red Sox. He has an inflamation in his shoulder and had to shut it down for two weeks.He will be spending time in Ft. Myers once the season starts to build up endurance.

    I can't wait for Kim to face the Yankees as the 5th starter. He's the best 5th starter in baseball IMO. (We don't need to argue this point again. I didn't forget about Matt Clement)

  3. #3
    Originally posted by NDBoston
    I can't wait for Kim to face the Yankees as the 5th starter. He's the best 5th starter in baseball IMO. (We don't need to argue this point again. I didn't forget about Matt Clement)
    From an objective standpoint, I agree with you about this.

    Kim, in my mind, gets unfairly scrutinized for throwing two gopher balls, three years ago, in a series in which his team ended up winning.

    The guy has been a good/very good MLB player who has even shown flashes of brilliance.

    I think he will be a very valuable addition to the Sox.

  4. #4
    My photograph. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Originally posted by SubwayFanatic


    From an objective standpoint, I agree with you about this.

    Kim, in my mind, gets unfairly scrutinized for throwing two gopher balls, three years ago, in a series in which his team ended up winning.

    The guy has been a good/very good MLB player who has even shown flashes of brilliance.

    I think he will be a very valuable addition to the Sox.
    I think that Kim, Lieber, and Clement are right up there as the best #5s in baseball.
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    RIP, Pete.

  5. #5
    Pick me. Choose me. Love me. SuperMario66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Just between I wish I could and I don't know
    Hey Steve (or whomever else wishes to answer) - what was the main reason for making him a starter?
    --Misti

    Has anybody noticed we have a color option called "lemon chiffon?"

  6. #6
    that's right
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    back in time
    Bronson Arroyo will take over as the Sox 5th starter, at least for the time being.

  7. #7
    that's right
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    back in time
    Originally posted by SuperMario66
    Hey Steve (or whomever else wishes to answer) - what was the main reason for making him a starter?
    They needed one.

  8. #8
    Pick me. Choose me. Love me. SuperMario66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Just between I wish I could and I don't know
    Originally posted by bakntime


    They needed one.
    That's it? It didn't have anything to do with him, just the team?
    --Misti

    Has anybody noticed we have a color option called "lemon chiffon?"

  9. #9
    Originally posted by SuperMario66


    That's it? It didn't have anything to do with him, just the team?
    Kim requested to be a starter, and the Red Sox were able to sign the best FA closer available.

    I'm not on the Arroyo bandwagon. I will save that argument for SoSH.

  10. #10
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT
    Originally posted by NDBoston
    My guess is that you won't see Kim pitching until May for the Red Sox. He has an inflamation in his shoulder and had to shut it down for two weeks.He will be spending time in Ft. Myers once the season starts to build up endurance.

    I can't wait for Kim to face the Yankees as the 5th starter. He's the best 5th starter in baseball IMO. (We don't need to argue this point again. I didn't forget about Matt Clement)
    That's provided they don't protect him and avoid pitching him against NY as they did last year.
    Life is good!

  11. #11
    Originally posted by GoRocket


    That's provided they don't protect him and avoid pitching him against NY as they did last year.
    Kim was put on the DL for an inflamed shoulder. I will believe Theo

    Kim pitched against the Yankees 7 times last year. He had a higher ERA with 6 other teams besides the Yankees. He must be afraid of those teams too. :rolleyes:

    I love this 2001 discussion. Let's talk about it. Brenley brought Kim back the next game after throwing 60 pitches the night before. What a choker Kim is!!

    Take a look at Kim's 2001 numbers in the NLCS and NLDS. Kim was one of the main reasons they made it into the World Series.

    Kim pitched for his life in Korea. He had to win a game to continue playing baseball, or be forced into the army. That's pressure.

    This argument is as idiotic as saying the Red Sox own Contreras after last year.

  12. #12
    that's right
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    back in time
    BK "Jack McDowell" Kim hasn't proven much in the AL yet. I don't see how he's suddenly the best 5th starter in baseball considering he's had only 13 career starts. Maybe he has the potential to be it, but right now he's not even throwing a baseball, so about all he's in the running for right now is best 5th starter in baseball who's not currently pitching.

  13. #13
    Giambi-bashing bewilders me pacewon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    NJ
    Originally posted by SubwayFanatic
    Kim, in my mind, gets unfairly scrutinized for throwing two gopher balls, three years ago, in a series in which his team ended up winning.
    Actually, it was 3 gopher balls... But who's counting?

  14. #14
    Giambi-bashing bewilders me pacewon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    NJ
    Originally posted by bakntime
    BK "Jack McDowell" Kim hasn't proven much in the AL yet. I don't see how he's suddenly the best 5th starter in baseball considering he's had only 13 career starts. Maybe he has the potential to be it, but right now he's not even throwing a baseball, so about all he's in the running for right now is best 5th starter in baseball who's not currently pitching.
    So true

  15. #15
    Originally posted by bakntime
    BK "Jack McDowell" Kim hasn't proven much in the AL yet. I don't see how he's suddenly the best 5th starter in baseball considering he's had only 13 career starts. Maybe he has the potential to be it, but right now he's not even throwing a baseball, so about all he's in the running for right now is best 5th starter in baseball who's not currently pitching.
    I guess those 4 years in MLB with an ERA of 3.24, would be good reason to think that.

  16. #16
    Giambi-bashing bewilders me pacewon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    NJ
    Originally posted by NDBoston


    I guess those 4 years in MLB with an ERA of 3.24, would be good reason to think that.
    Even though that 3.24 was compiled with 279 relief appearances and only 13 starts.

  17. #17
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT
    Originally posted by NDBoston


    Kim was put on the DL for an inflamed shoulder. I will believe Theo

    Kim pitched against the Yankees 7 times last year. He had a higher ERA with 6 other teams besides the Yankees. He must be afraid of those teams too. :rolleyes:

    I love this 2001 discussion. Let's talk about it. Brenley brought Kim back the next game after throwing 60 pitches the night before. What a choker Kim is!!

    Take a look at Kim's 2001 numbers in the NLCS and NLDS. Kim was one of the main reasons they made it into the World Series.

    Kim pitched for his life in Korea. He had to win a game to continue playing baseball, or be forced into the army. That's pressure.

    This argument is as idiotic as saying the Red Sox own Contreras after last year.
    How short our memories are. In those September series Little even said that he would not pitch Kim in either series and did not. A direct result of his past failures (not just the 2001 WS which you keep mentioning, I never did) against the Yanks. He was healthy too! And he has never pitched well against the Yanks. He seems to be the next Bob Gibson though in Boston :rolleyes:
    Life is good!

  18. #18
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT
    Originally posted by NDBoston


    I guess those 4 years in MLB with an ERA of 3.24, would be good reason to think that.
    Then I think Contreras 3.30 ERA last year should count for something too. Let's see Kim throw 175 innings this year before we overhype him any more.
    Life is good!

  19. #19
    that's right
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    back in time
    Originally posted by NDBoston


    I guess those 4 years in MLB with an ERA of 3.24, would be good reason to think that.
    ERA can be a very deceptive stat for a reliever.

  20. #20
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT
    Originally posted by bakntime


    ERA can be a very deceptive stat for a reliever.
    Very much so as they don't count inherited runners scoring. And 13 career starts is a bit pre-mature to start counting this guy as a proven anything. I'll take Matt Clement any day as a number 5.
    Life is good!

  21. #21
    NYYF Triple Crown

    NJOBP36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Topeka, Kansas
    Originally posted by bakntime


    ERA can be a very deceptive stat for a reliever.
    It can be but all his other numbers are excellent too.
    [img]http://myteamdaily.dnsalias.org/images/teami/cfl/helmet/kka.gif[/img]
    Goodbye Gravy, Nash and Olson. You'll be missed.
    Moose for 2004 Cy Young.--Josh

  22. #22
    Originally posted by NJOBP36
    It can be but all his other numbers are excellent too.
    Could be because he was a reliever, right?

  23. #23
    Released Outright ACPS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    BK Kim...yes, please!

  24. #24
    that's right
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    back in time
    Kim

    K/9:

    2000: 14.14
    2001: 10.38
    2002: 9.86
    2003: 7.50

    BAA:

    2001: .173
    2002: .208
    2003: .224

    This is an indication that maybe baseball is starting to "catch on" to him... His BB/9 numbers have improved quite a bit, though, and his OPS against has remained relatively good.

  25. #25
    Released Outright cubswin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    LA
    Obviously there are ?s about Kim, but if you're comparing 5th starters, Lieber has some pretty clear ?s, too. Hasn't pitched in 1 1/2 yrs, career era well over 4 while pitching in the NL, best ERA for a full season was 3.8, etc. And I like Clement, but again, he hasn't had a stellar career. There's a reason these guys are 5th starters...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts