+ Reply to Thread

Is a website off limits for media when asked?

I am sure many of you have heard the saga of Curt Schilling being upset that the Boston Globe and WEEI picked up comments he posted on SoSH even though he asked they do not.

A moderator at RR conducted an interview with John Palfrey, Executive Director of the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard Law School to find out just how existing laws apply to the internet.

interview with John Palfrey

I hope what is going on here in Boston will not scare other players from interacting with fans. Schilling's comments puzzle me, as he certainly isn't that naive to think the Boston media won't stop at anything to get info.

Pick me. Choose me. Love me. SuperMario66's Avatar
    Just between I wish I could and I don't know
    Interesting situation - there is not much that you can do when it comes to the internet from my experience, but there are plenty of other people here who would know way better than me.
    --Misti

Has anybody noticed we have a color option called "lemon chiffon?"

You knew things were getting out of hand when Boswell got involved

Meanwhile, back in the Red Sox clubhouse, Curt Schilling was explaining to the Boston media for the umpteenth time that he is very offended when they go to the Red Sox fans' chat room (sonsofsamhorn.com) and take the quotes he posts there and put them in the newspaper. After all, he writes "off the record" beside the quotes.

Curt, if you rent a billboard and post a quote on it beside your picture, do you think that's off the record, too? What is it, a disease? A smart player goes to Boston and within months his brain cells disintegrate. "I never anticipate that any of the stupid things I say will be turned into more than they are," explained Schilling. Sort of.

Curt wants to pick a fight [with the media]," said an exasperated Red Sox executive. "We don't know why."

The strange thing is he is picking on the print guys, when his latest comments were only on WEEI.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer

The Source

From the link above:
    One Boston fan walked with a sign bearing a recent quote by Jeter but with a twist: " 'A-Rod's hands are so soft -- Jeter.' "

This is interesting. Also unfortunate. So the media has decided to move from alienating players due to their laziness to also alienating fans (once Schilling stops posting on SOSH due to the press) ...

NYYF MVP

Originally posted by Carissa
    From the link above:

One Boston fan walked with a sign bearing a recent quote by Jeter but with a twist: " 'A-Rod's hands are so soft -- Jeter.' "
    Attached Images

Thank you nufced for posting this!

First off, I think it's very cool that Schilling posts at SoSH and I really enjoy reading his baseball related posts because they give a great insight into the game. Many players are unwilling to express their opinions and I commend him for being willing to tell the fans what he really thinks.

However, if Schilling posts in a publically viewable forum I think that it's too much to expect that no one is going to use his quotes if he says something interesting enough. In a perfect world, every reporter would respect "Off the Record" but it's not a perfect world and there are a lot of factors that go into an "Off the Record" agreement, particularly when the media members are not speaking with Schilling face-to-face.

I was once told by a former boss when I worked in public relations that even if you have an "Off the Record" agreement with a reporter there really is no such thing as "Off the Record" - ever. It's just too tempting for a reporter to use what they see, hear or what you tell them, especially if it's newsworthy. The only way to prevent a reporter from using some information or a quote is to not make it available in the first place and by posting in a forum with 2,000+ members Schilling's material is certainly available to a wide audience.

SoSH created the Members Only forum but I think it's naive of them to think that no media members are reading that forum or that if Schilling says something particularly juicy it will never get used. Is the next step going to be culling out all media members, Yankee fans or other undesirables from the members roster to make sure there are no leaks? Will members have to prove their loyalty? Once something is used Schilling and SoSH could hire lawyers and take a newspaper or radio station to court but would it really be worth the time and money? In some ways Schilling seems to want to prove a point to the media so perhaps he will take things that far or bankroll SoSH to take things that far but I hope it doesn't come to that.

-Deborah

Pick me. Choose me. Love me. SuperMario66's Avatar
    Just between I wish I could and I don't know
    Originally posted by FanWithNoName

[/QUOTE]

Holy shiznit. That is classic.
    --Misti

Has anybody noticed we have a color option called "lemon chiffon?"

Shilling doesn't seem to understand that when you post statements in a public forum for anyone to see, you give up the right to privacy in regards to them.
    Writers aren't bound by journalistic ethics to not use any publically made statement, even if it is prefaced with an "off the record" request, like they would be in a one-on-one interview.
    ~John

Last week a columnist for the NY Times recalled how the infamous Marge Schott quote about Hitler being good at first but went to far
    came to be. The writer was in Marge's car driving to lunch, and he saw a sign for a politican that had the same last name of a Nazi official. The name Goebbels didn't register with Marge but then she talked about her relatives in Germany. She is driving to be interviewed over lunch about baseball, and was probably clueless that this would or could be written. Because of that exchange she was blacklisted by baseball.
    Should that quote seen the light of day given how it came to be, as the writer was the only one who heard it.

In Schillings case, he was posting on a site seen by thousands. It would be like speaking at a dinner and telling everybody they can't repeat what they heard.

The Boston media is brutal, probably second to New York for the overkill of coverage. Schilling is used to Baltimore and Philadelphia, and Boston is much worse. WEEI makes WIP sound like NPR.

This is just a zany situation.

Originally posted by ring403
    Shilling doesn't seem to understand that when you post statements in a public forum for anyone to see, you give up the right to privacy in regards to them.
    Writers aren't bound by journalistic ethics to not use any publically made statement, even if it is prefaced with an "off the record" request, like they would be in a one-on-one interview.

Addicted Member
    From an ethical standpoint:

The concept that a person could comment non-anonymously in a publically viewable forum and expect it to be off the record is very strange to me.

That being said, I would think that the "press" would have a responsibility to put any quote they use in the correct context.
    "I ain't here on business, I'm only here for fun"

Originally posted by nufced1918
    Because of that exchange she was blacklisted by baseball.
    Should that quote seen the light of day given how it came to be, as the writer was the only one who heard it.
    Which is exactly one of the problems with "Off the Record" agreements. Sometimes there are things that are said that are so newsworthy that even the most trustworthy of reporters might use the quote. There is some obligation on the part of the reporter to their newspaper, radio station or TV station, not to mention their readers. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if there may be times in which a reporter agrees to "Off the Record" but an editor might overrule the agreement if the information they receive is so newsworthy that they have to act on it.

I'm sure Schilling would never say anything too controversial but what happens if he gets upset about something that happens during a game and slams one of his teammates in the Members Only forum while publically claiming that he's not upset with the player in question. How could a reporter who becomes aware of remarks like that, either because they saw it themselves or it was sent to them by a SoSH member, not use that information?

Or this situation: A reporter reads SoSH and sees something posted by Schilling that they feel is worth reporting on. So the next day they ask Schilling in the clubhouse about that post. How does he react? Is even asking him about things he says on SoSH forbidden even if it's to get a quote on the record?

Futhermore, will Schilling stop giving game quotes to reporters who have or will violate his "Off the Record" requests?

-Deborah

Thread Information