+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF MVP

Mt. Vernon, NY/ proudly born in the Bronx

Astros pitching rotation???????

Is it true that Houston agreed to having Roger only pitch home games? How do you plan a pitching rotation over 162 games with a "non-regular" rotation? Doesn't that mean that the rest of the staff will pitch on varying days of rest beyond the "normal" cycle?

Putting aside the whole issue of Roger "unretiring" and dissing the Yanks, from a purely baseball point of view, wouldn't this arrangement negatively affect a pitching staff?

What happens in August and September, when, conceivably the Astros are fighting for the division and are embarking on a road trip where they wil be playing three consecutive series against division rivals? Suppose, up to that time, Roger is the ace of the staff? Would Roger really refuse to go on the trip -- knowing that his team's performance in those games could mean the division title?

There could be grumblings from his teammates over this special treatment, for sure........

Isn't it enough that Roger would be "home" for 82 games? He really wouldn't be away from his family for any considerable length of time if he had to go on the road. I think the Astros made a bad decision....

"Is it true that Houston agreed to having Roger only pitch home games?..."

No, it's not true. He will be pitching every fifth start.

NYYF MVP

Mt. Vernon, NY/ proudly born in the Bronx
    OK. Reading some of the posts on this forum, I got the impression that Roger would only pitch in Houston. It just sounded too weird, and, apparently, it was...........

NYYF Legend

He's pitching on the road, but he doesn't have to travel with the team if he's not scheduled to pitch on that particular road trip. I wonder if he'll still watch the games from home on TV.

Owner of a coconut bra. Yankchic22's Avatar
    Originally posted by NelsonMuntz
    He's pitching on the road, but he doesn't have to travel with the team if he's not scheduled to pitch on that particular road trip. I wonder if he'll still watch the games from home on TV.
    I don't get it. What road trips are only 3 games... or does he not have to accompany the team, to say..... Milwaukee is he's not pitching there, but then meet up with them at the next stop. I was wondering about this myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_E
    Oh yeah, things are always better when Randi's around.

Originally posted by Yankchic22

I don't get it. What road trips are only 3 games... or does he not have to accompany the team, to say..... Milwaukee is he's not pitching there, but then meet up with them at the next stop. I was wondering about this myself.
    I'd imagine that's the situation.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

Anyway what is the rotation? Oswalt, Clemens, Pettitte, Miller, and who else?

1-4 looks dominant as much as I hate it.

Originally posted by Irabu's Son
    Anyway what is the rotation? Oswalt, Clemens, Pettitte, Miller, and who else?

1-4 looks dominant as much as I hate it.
    Tim Redding. Answered my own question. But look at this:

Rotation:
    Oswalt 10-5 2.98
    Pettitte 21-8 4.02
    Clemens 17-9 3.91
    Miller 14-13 4.13
    Redding 10-14 3.68

Closer:
    Dotel 4 SV 2.48

Squad:
    Biggio .264 15 HR
    Ensberg .291 25 HR
    Berkman .288 25 HR
    Bagwell .278 39 HR
    Kent .297 22 HR
    Hidalgo .309 28 HR
    Everett .256 8 HR
    Ausmus .229 4 HR

Call me crazy but I think that even if they dump Hidalgo, they're still not only the team to beat in the NL Central, but the team to beat in the NL, period. If the Cubs get Maddux, the NL Central is going to be the best division in baseball. Cause the Brewers might win 100.

Just kidding about that last sentence.

NYYF Triple Crown

The Cubs are still better IMO. I also think the AL East is the best division.
    [img]http://myteamdaily.dnsalias.org/images/teami/cfl/helmet/kka.gif[/img]
    Goodbye Gravy, Nash and Olson. You'll be missed.
    Moose for 2004 Cy Young.--Josh

Bring on October!! nyyfanatic85's Avatar
    Originally posted by NJOBP36
    The Cubs are still better IMO. I also think the AL East is the best division.
    Both statements are correct.
    Global Warming and climate change hysteria could well represent the historical pinnacle of collective insanity.

Originally posted by nyyfanatic85

Both statements are correct.
    In your opinion, I guess. Our everyday lineup has more pop and much better defense. In case some of you you weren't aware, the 'Stros held onto 1st for most of the season with Oswalt on the DL, Miller having a terrible first half for a pitcher of his magnitude, our rookie left hander had over a 5.00 ERA yet won 15 games, Redding had absolutely no run support, and our journeyman pitcher (Villone) held down the 5th spot due to injuries. We lost the NL Central pennant in the last series of the year, and our team had basically nothing but spot starters and a strong bullpen, and an offense that performed good at times, but below its capability. Biggio has a full year under his belt in center, Kent seemed to gell with a rookie SS, and they too have a years experience together now, and we have a stud at 3rd base who will finally not be platooning. Playing only half the year alone he jacked over 20 bombs and showed he has the skill to steal bases when given the go sign.

As scheduled, our fifth spot is Reddings to lose, and while he has some wicked stuff, his head doesn't seem to always be in the game. Do not be surprised to see Carlos Hernandez grab the fifth spot in our rotation, putting Redding into the pen. Hernandez has a crap load of skill as an overall athlete, pitching and hitting like Mike Hampton. He would have been a lock for our rotation if not for injuries the past year and a half. He's thrown very well in winter ball and is expected back at full strength come spring training.

Overall, with Redding, Hernandez, Duckworth, Roberson, etc. waiting on their roster spots, this is a very deep pitching team. I'm expecting a trade to come along before the trading deadline, but a problem such as this is a good one to have.

PS- I've had a few too many Red Stripes this evening, so forgive me for any speeling mistakes.

I think they're better than the Cubs too. The only way, IMO, the Cubs can repeat is if they get Maddux and he has a very good year.

Also, the NL Central is a better division than the AL East IMO because it has 3 legitimate contenders, while the ALE has 2

NYYF Triple Crown

The Astros had a team EQA of 261 last year, the Cubs were at 258. The Cubs have a better rotation, but the Astros have the better bullpen. The Cubs added a very good reliever though.

The Astros had a team EQA of 261 last year, the Cubs were at 258. The Cubs have a better rotation, but the Astros have the better bullpen. The Cubs added a very good reliever though.
    EQA is a man-made stat. This season will show that the Cubs have slightly better pitching, while the Astros have a slightly better lineup.

NYYF Triple Crown

Originally posted by Irabu's Son

EQA is a man-made stat. This season will show that the Cubs have slightly better pitching, while the Astros have a slightly better lineup.
    Every stat is man-made. I don't even understand that argument, it's the single best hitting stat. Taking into account power, speed, era, park, etc.

Missing Vazquez already.... Thrillhouse's Avatar
    People now think that the Astros have the best pitching roto in baseball. I don't think thats true, I am still confident in the As. They have the best IMO.
    You told me we were going to Red Lobster!

NYYF Triple Crown

Originally posted by Thrillhouse
    People now think that the Astros have the best pitching roto in baseball. I don't think thats true, I am still confident in the As. They have the best IMO.
    The A's pitchers were helped a lot by their park(best pitchers park in the American League) and defense. The Yankees rotation was better last year and will be better this year IMO.

Missing Vazquez already.... Thrillhouse's Avatar

The A's pitchers were helped a lot by their park(best pitchers park in the American League) and defense. The Yankees rotation was better last year and will be better this year IMO.
    I highly doubt that. The yankees offense greatly helped their pitching success. Hence Pettitte winning 21 games with an ERA of 4.02
    You told me we were going to Red Lobster!

NYYF Triple Crown

Originally posted by Thrillhouse

I highly doubt that. The yankees offense greatly helped their pitching success. Hence Pettitte winning 21 games with an ERA of 4.02
    Highly doubt what? The park helping them or the defense? The Yankee offense didn't help the Yankees pitchers, it helped their win totals but that didn't make them a better pitcher.

They didn't only add Hawkins, they got rid of Alfonseca, while the 'Stros lost Wagner
    The Cubs also added Derek Lee and Todd Walker. Plus they'll have Aramis Ramirez for a full season as opposed to the black hole of suck they had at 3rd for most of the season last year. They'll also probably have Patterson for a full season but that won't matter much as Lofton actually hit very well last season after his trade to Chicago.
    Even with the additions of Pettitte and Clemens the Cubs have improved their team more than Houston.

I'd have to agree on Redding....

I for one do not want to see Jeriome Robertson chunking curveballs destined for the Crawford boxes. He won 15 games last year but the league hit something around .280 against him.

Redding also came on towards the end of the year last year so my hope is that he's built on that momentum for this season. He'd be a good fifth starter. Some Astros fans also think that Carlos Hernandez, who has been hurt the past couple of seasons, could make a resurgence this season.
    "Mike Scott has just thrown his first career no-hitter...and the Astros are the National League Champions of the West!" Milo Hamilton, September 1986

Re: I'd have to agree on Redding....

Originally posted by StrosFan
    I for one do not want to see Jeriome Robertson chunking curveballs destined for the Crawford boxes. He won 15 games last year but the league hit something around .280 against him.

Redding also came on towards the end of the year last year so my hope is that he's built on that momentum for this season. He'd be a good fifth starter. Some Astros fans also think that Carlos Hernandez, who has been hurt the past couple of seasons, could make a resurgence this season.
    Robertson was terrible...Redding has much better stats, though in a smaller sample size. Plus, isn't he a lefty(or I might be getting him confused...don't know much about the Astros)? I think he'd be a much more logical choice for 5th starter than Robertson.

The NL Central is still a pretty weak division the Cubs took it with only 88 wins last year thats sonly 2 more then Toronto. Toronto had to play 38 games vs the best 2 teams in the league. The NL central looks better because the NL as a whole is pretty weak right now. A bunch of 90 win teams and no clear frontrunner or frontrunners.

The astros won 87 games last yer, They lost one of the best releivers in baseball and picked up a couple good #3 neither of which is as good as wagner.

I think if you put any of the Al central teams in the AL east they would be wrestling for 4th place with baltimore.

Thread Information