+ Reply to Thread

A case for steroid abuse? (pics)

Why did you include Glavine?

If you put up a picture from when I was younger and a picture of me now, the same comparison could be made. Only problem is that I've never touched a steroid in my life - I wouldn't even know where to look to find them if I wanted to.

-jim
    "The only thing I know about baseball is that whatever the manager does is wrong" - Moe

That Jason Giambi picture is just so damn funny

NYYF HOF

The 2 pics of Barry Bonds look quite interesting

that's right
    Originally posted by Jim F.
    If you put up a picture from when I was younger and a picture of me now, the same comparison could be made. Only problem is that I've never touched a steroid in my life - I wouldn't even know where to look to find them if I wanted to.

-jim
    Good call... I was a skinny twerp when I was a senior...

Guys do lift weights you know.

Originally posted by Yankee Bulldawg
    The 2 pics of Barry Bonds look quite interesting
    Yeah, it looks like his head got bigger.

the difference in the giambi pics is ABSURD.

schilling's old mustache is filthy.

Released Outright
    Of course, when your entire life suddenly becomes baseball, as opposed to school and whatnot, with vast millions, personal trainers, equipment, and time at your disposal it would be much easier for them, or anyone else for that matter, to bulk up significantly.

Dam you see the veins popping out of Bonds arms??? Sheesh!!!:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Jim F.

-jim
    That's a great point. Every body changes over time. These are professional athletes we're talking about here. Their job requires intense physical training, including lifting weights. If you live that lifestyle over the course of several years, you end up with the chiseled physiques that these guys have.
    These pictures don't constitute proof of anything.
    ~John

Released Outright
    Originally posted by ring403

That's a great point. Every body changes over time. These are professional athletes we're talking about here. Their job requires intense physical training, including lifting weights. If you live that lifestyle over the course of several years, you end up with the chiseled physiques that these guys have.
    These pictures don't constitute proof of anything.
    bonds's head got bigger, though - not sure if the earlier post was serious, but reliable sources have said that his head has grown (literally, as well as figuratively) - I'm not a doctor, but my guess is that that is indicative of something...

Originally posted by bosoxfan

bonds's head got bigger, though - not sure if the earlier post was serious, but reliable sources have said that his head has grown (literally, as well as figuratively) - I'm not a doctor, but my guess is that that is indicative of something...
    That is something different. It could be indicative of growth hormone usage.
    ~John

savafan, if you're going to steal something from another website, at least give the original author some credit.
    "America national sport is called baseballs. It very similar to our sport, shurik, where we take dogs, shoot them in a field and then have a party."
    - Borat Sagdiyev

All the baseball cards picture players in their very early 20s. Guys usually start filling out shortly thereafter, and professional athletes who usually adhere to a strenuous workout regimen are going to put on that much more bulk. Personally, I think the steroid issue has gotten blown out of proportion. There are definitely players using them but I don't think it's as widespread as has been alleged.

James

I don't understand why McGwire is included. He hit 49 home runs at age 23, which is how old he is on his 1987 Topps card that is pictured. I have about 20 copies of that card.
    "America national sport is called baseballs. It very similar to our sport, shurik, where we take dogs, shoot them in a field and then have a party."
    - Borat Sagdiyev

Originally posted by Looie #19
    savafan, if you're going to steal something from another website, at least give the original author some credit.
    What site are you referring to?

Released Outright
    steroids actually make the rest of the ball grow and the head won't, it looks a lot smaller to the rest of the body.

Originally posted by savafan

What site are you referring to?
    http://www.philliesphans.com/phorum/...light=steroids
    - Borat Sagdiyev

Some of them are interesting, that a case could definitely be made -- Giambi, for instance, is huge -- but others I'm not so sure. Schilling doesn't look all that different (and when he was with the Orioles he was an underachieving punk with purple hair anyway, so he easily could've worked out). And if you look at the Glavine pictures, the second one is a low angle shot (as opposed to the first, which is head on -- and a portrait so you can't even see his body!), and those ALWAYS make people look a lot bigger than they are.

Besides, you could make the same argument for Jeter about doing steroids (the guy does anti-drug commercials, so I think it's "safe" to say he doesn't use them) -- he's really bulked up since he was a rookie:

"You aint my b!tch, n!gga! Buy your own damn fries!" -- Barack Obama

You have to be very careful with what you call steroids. There are some supplements that contain some of the components contained in steroids. I am 19 years old and I joined a gym about 4 years ago and I was able to buy any supplement in the store section of the gym. Some of the supplements contained steroid components but weren't actually steroids. Point being, there are plenty of legal, readily available supplements with effects similar to steroids out there. Guys who use real, hardcore steroids usually have huge veins popping out of their whole arms and chest. There are a number of things these guys could be using.

Thread Information