+ Reply to Thread

Schilling Might be Headed to Philly

From Rotoworld:
    Anthony Gargano of WIP 610 in Philadelphia is reporting that the Phillies could complete a trade for Curt Schilling before the end of the week.
    Two possibilities are being mentioned. One has Cole Hamels and Chase Utley going to Arizona in return for Schilling. The other possibility is a three-team trade which includes the Marlins. The Diamondbacks would get Derrek Lee from Florida and Josh Hancock from Philadelphia. The Phillies would also send Utley and Ryan Howard to Florida and get Schilling back.
    Rich

Good

news!

I have heard Tom Veducci say that he thinks Schilling will end up there. It would definitely be a relief.

NYYF Triple Crown

For Cole Hamels and Chase Utley?!?!

Man, that's a lot to give up for a 37 year old pitcher. Where have I heard that before...

NYYF HOF

good news since our rotation needs youth not age. he will probably wind up in Philly since Kevin Millwood most likely wont be there next season

Released Outright
    Originally posted by Yankee Bulldawg
    good news since our rotation needs youth not age. he will probably wind up in Philly since Kevin Millwood most likely wont be there next season
    This theory that our coaching staff NEEDS youth is waaay overblown. True it would be nice but it is not paramount, especially when you have an owner who'll brings in new faces wherever this is a weakness every off-season. Lets not forget we aree two years removed from losing to a team that beat us essentially with a 35 and 36 year old pitcher. If Schill comes here and has only two dominant years then tails off (we will have likely won a WS with perhaps his large contribution) George will bring in another dominant pitcher in then.

Released Outright
    anyways I wouldn't be surprised if we DIDN'T get Schilling even if we were willing to give up Johnson. It's called anti-Yankee bias and/or Colangelo payback for Wells last year.

Originally posted by JMAN74
    anyways I wouldn't be surprised if we DIDN'T get Schilling even if we were willing to give up Johnson. It's called anti-Yankee bias and/or Colangelo payback for Wells last year.
    I would call it George being saved from himself.

I'd be very happy if this is true- George is going to do some serious damage to the team if he has his way. Giving up NJ or Sori for Schilling is absurd.

That'd be great. Even though he's been in Arizona four seasons, I still think of Schilling a Philly. They should've never gotten rid of him to begin with, even though I know they really didn't have much of a choice at the time. Curt is 37 already; the last thing we need is another multimillion dollar old arm in exchange for promising twenty-somethings -- we might as well just coax Wells or Clemens out of retirement if that's the case.
    "You aint my b!tch, n!gga! Buy your own damn fries!" -- Barack Obama

Hopefully this is the end of George's crush on Shilling. If we're going to trade for a pitcher, it had better be Javy Vazquez.
    ~John

Originally posted by Yanks21
    For Cole Hamels and Chase Utley?!?!

Man, that's a lot to give up for a 37 year old pitcher. Where have I heard that before...

Exactly!

The Source

Phillies: Schilling rumors are greatly exaggerated
    By DENNIS DEITCH , dendeitch@aol.com 11/20/2003
    http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...id=18170&rfi=6

PHILADELPHIA -- The Phillies, on repeated occasions, have stated they arenít interested in making a deal with the Diamondbacks for Curt Schilling -- not at the prohibitive exchange rate Arizona has set for the former Phillie.

The DíBacks want one of three pitchers -- Brett Myers, Gavin Floyd or Cole Hamels -- in any trade for Schilling. The Phillies, again and again, have registered their response: No.

And yet the rumor wonít die, which makes you wonder where the rumor continues to be fed. Actually, wonderment isnít necessary. The biggest proponent of Schilling returning to Philadelphia is Schilling. And if it takes a pair of loose lips to keep this pipe dream alive, well ..letís just say Schillingís track record of liberal verbalization is extensive.

Again, with feeling: Schilling returning to the Phillies is an extreme long shot. The Phillies have a wish list that sports several names ahead of Schillingís, among them are Bartolo Colon, Javier Vazquez and, interestingly enough, Kevin Millwood.

It seems Millwood has found the market for his services -- particularly for the four years he wants -- rather tepid. That has rekindled discussions between Millwood and the Phillies, which as recently as a week ago seemed to be dead in the water.

If Vazquez is the choice -- a choice that would require the Phillies to broker a deal with the Expos -- the Phils must sacrifice top hitting prospect Ryan Howard and probably another solid young player or pitcher to get it done.

Speaking of Howard, the first baseman and three pitching prospects -- right-handers Keith Bucktrot, Elizardo Ramirez and Alfredo Simon -- were added to the roster by general manager Ed Wade. It raises the 40-man roster total to 37, with the Phillies seeking veterans at starting pitcher, set-up reliever and backup catcher who likely would take those extra spots.

As for the quartet added to the 40-man yesterday, there was little question that they would have been Rule 5 targets if they hadnít been protected.

Howard, 24, was the Florida State Leagueís Most Valuable Player while at Class A Clearwater in 2003 and ranks behind phenom pitchers Hamels and Floyd on Baseball Americaís list of the organizationís top prospects. He hit .304 with 23 home runs and 82 RBIs, but is considered tradable since he plays the same position as Jim Thome.

Bucktrot, who turns 23 in a week, was a major reason why Springfield High product Taylor Buchholz was expendable in the deal that brought closer Billy Wagner to the Phils earlier this month. The fifth-round pick in the 2001 draft had a breakthrough season. He was 7-7 with a 3.33 ERA with Clearwater, then was promoted to Double-A Reading where he went 3-1 with a 2.56 ERA in seven starts.

Ramirez, 20, was put to the test at Clearwater and proved to be a workhorse. The Dominican led the FSL in innings pitched (1571/3) and was tied for second in victories (13). He got stronger as the season progressed, racking up a 2.11 ERA in his last 11 starts.

Simon, a 23-year-old Dominican, was a pleasant surprise when he was sent to Class A Lakewood following extended spring training. The lanky (6-4, 174) right-hander went 5-0 with a 3.79 ERA in 14 games, including 4-0, 3.05 in his seven starts.

©The Daily Times 2003

The Phils already gave up one young stud for Wagner, they aren't about to give up another future ace for a soon to be former ace.

I see the Phils looking for a veteran top of the rotation pitcher since they probably expect Milwood to bolt. Watch them become involved in Vazquez or one of the other free agents like Colon.

Giambi-bashing bewilders me pacewon's Avatar
    Thanks for that article Carissa.

I simply don't see Schilling going back to the Phils; they have said it won't happen, and he himself said it won't happen.

Maybe it's just because I want to see this happen but I think the price will drop on Schilling later in the offseason and the Yankees will get him cheap.

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by SI Baseballman
    The Phils already gave up one young stud for Wagner, they aren't about to give up another future ace for a soon to be former ace.

I see the Phils looking for a veteran top of the rotation pitcher since they probably expect Milwood to bolt. Watch them become involved in Vazquez or one of the other free agents like Colon.
    Agreed. The Phils giving top pitching prospects makes no more sense than us giving up Sori or Nick.

This is wishful AZ thinking,

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by WindRavenX
    I'd be very happy if this is true- George is going to do some serious damage to the team if he has his way. Giving up NJ or Sori for Schilling is absurd.
    Amen to that. In Steinbrenner's world, Game 6 of the WS was
    yesterday. Others have accepted the fact that the Yankees
    just got beat with better pitching and speed. Schilling is not
    the answer.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Thread Information