+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Released Outright WindRavenX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Boston, MA

    So can Boston keep putting BK out there?

    Let's face it, Byung Hyung Kim is a serious problem for the Red Sox right now. Although he didn't flat out implode last night, he did not shut the door and did blow the save. If BK can't close, the Red Sox are in a serious bullpen crisis- they went through almost the entire pen last night. Not to mention Pedro threw 130 pitches (someone mentioned that Pedro could on non-start days close) and will most likely not be able to throw over 100 his next start.
    But BK is a huge issue because if may make the Sox just throw whoever's warmed up into the fray to close the game. Like the Yankees, the bullpen has been very weak at times, but for the Sox, it's worse now because they burned everyone up AND have a game today! BK has to be used, but how? Can he be allowed to pitch in a closer's role or in tight situations?
    Honestly, I think this guy shouldn't be allowed to pitch in trouble...

  2. #2
    Hoping for #28 DkNNy79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Yonkers
    As a Yankee fan, I certaintly HOPE they keep putting BK out there.

  3. #3
    Movin' on Bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Clifton Park, New York
    It's not like the Sox have a lot of choices out there. Their pitching depth is poor after Pedro and that will be their demise. Letting Lowe pitch at all in relief shows desperation.
    Let the kids play.

  4. #4
    Released Outright ACPS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    That reaction by Kim when he hit that guy last night was priceless.

  5. #5
    RIP Sweet Aidan LilChief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Connecticut
    Does anyome know offhand how many pitches Lowe threw last night?

  6. #6
    Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Originally posted by LilChief
    Does anyome know offhand how many pitches Lowe threw last night?
    I believe it was close to 50

    Mid 40's mabye

  7. #7
    Released Outright
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Lowe threw 43.

    Singleton swung when he got hit by Kim's pitch. That's why he was pissed.

    But, Kim was pretty much unhittable last night. Wild and whatnot, but unhittable. He would have gotten Durazo out I bet. Unfortunately, he wasn't given that chance.

  8. #8
    Originally posted by yecul
    Lowe threw 43.

    Singleton swung when he got hit by Kim's pitch. That's why he was pissed.

    But, Kim was pretty much unhittable last night. Wild and whatnot, but unhittable. He would have gotten Durazo out I bet. Unfortunately, he wasn't given that chance.
    I disagree. I was at the game last night and from where we were sitting we did not think he had swung. Having now seen the replay, I still don't think he swung at the pitch, but checked, and then turned his body to avoid the ball. It may or may not have made a difference, but we'll never know.

  9. #9
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    The Little Apple, Kansas
    Originally posted by Gehrig'sGhost
    Having now seen the replay, I still don't think he swung at the pitch, but checked, and then turned his body to avoid the ball.
    Exactly as I saw it on TV last night before the replay. He had stopped his swing and was trying to avoid the pitch.

    Since you said you were at the game last night, I have a question for you. It seemed on TV last night in the bottom of the 10th that Randy Marsh, the home plate umpire, annexed a couple of nearby counties into his strike zone. Did those strike calls seem as bad in person as they did on TV?

  10. #10
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    The Little Apple, Kansas
    If he would permanently remove that ugly hat with the red "B" on it, I would feel very bad for Kim. I'm sure that the Babe would agree: no compassion for a Red Sox, ever.

  11. #11
    Released Outright
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    The strike zone varied throughout the night. Terrible umping.

    I disagree though, he went around. The announcers thought he did too.

  12. #12
    BK pitched relatively well. He was hurt by some bad luck, and a few missed calls. He wasn't given the chance to finish what he started.

  13. #13
    Originally posted by Gehrig'sGhost


    I disagree. I was at the game last night and from where we were sitting we did not think he had swung. Having now seen the replay, I still don't think he swung at the pitch, but checked, and then turned his body to avoid the ball. It may or may not have made a difference, but we'll never know.
    It was clear on TV that he swung.

  14. #14
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    The Little Apple, Kansas
    Originally posted by yecul
    The announcers thought he did too.
    Not all the ESPN announcers. One (and I don't know which one) said that the batter had stopped the swing and that he was just trying to avoid the pitch. One (and it might have been the same guy) said that he understood why the Red Sox were arguing but that the umpires got the call right.

  15. #15
    NYYFans Member Stick Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Originally posted by yecul
    The strike zone varied throughout the night. Terrible umping.
    Agreed. Randy Marsh's strike zone changed from inning to inning. He was inconsistent for both teams but seemed to squeeze Oakland's pitchers even more so, particularly Foulke. If a spectator like me (who had no real rooting interest) was growing impatient with Marsh's delayed and inconsistent calls I can only imagine how much frustration he caused the pitchers and hitters.

    James

  16. #16
    Re2pect Hitman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island
    Originally posted by DkNNy79
    As a Yankee fan, I certaintly HOPE they keep putting BK out there.
    yep. I agree.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.


    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

  17. #17
    Originally posted by CommerceComet

    Exactly as I saw it on TV last night before the replay. He had stopped his swing and was trying to avoid the pitch.

    Since you said you were at the game last night, I have a question for you. It seemed on TV last night in the bottom of the 10th that Randy Marsh, the home plate umpire, annexed a couple of nearby counties into his strike zone. Did those strike calls seem as bad in person as they did on TV?
    CC, from a "live" persepctive (about 15 rows up and a fourth the way down the first base line) I thought Marsh's strike zone was fairly decent up until about the 7th inning when the strike zone became erratic, at best. Of course, Pedro is always going to stare in and pout when pitches 3 inches outside are not called strikes. But, I thought Marsh was pretty bogus both ways, especially later in the game. But then, he usually is.

    I watched the replay of Bung's HBP on VCR three times this morning without benefit of sound or without hearing what the annoucers said (like that is authoritative). There is no question in my mind that the correct call was made. Little really didn't argue that much and Varitek either from what I could see. Surely, some Boston fans will disagree because some have their own special outlook on reality and excuses are sometimes better than truth. But, four Sux fans sitting in front of us at the game, and several in the parking lot after the game, thought it was the right call, too, so there you go.

  18. #18
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    The Little Apple, Kansas
    Originally posted by Gehrig'sGhost
    There is no question in my mind that the correct call was made. Little really didn't argue that much and Varitek either from what I could see. Surely, some Boston fans will disagree because some have their own special outlook on reality and excuses are sometimes better than truth. But, four Sux fans sitting in front of us at the game, and several in the parking lot after the game, thought it was the right call, too, so there you go.
    It was clear on the replay that the hitter had checked the swing well short of the strike zone and then tried to bail out of the way. Although there was a lot of movement by the hitter (but not enough) and of the bat, the only intent at this point was to avoid the pitch, not to hit it.

    The call turned out to be important but the Red Sox can't blame the loss on that. They failed to convert several earlier scoring opportunities. In addition, after the call, they still had an opportunity to get out of the inning with the victory but didn't get it done.

  19. #19
    I was wondering about Kim myself.... he looked pissed to be taken out.
    "He knew, as he went after that ball, that he had a decision to make," said Tony Clark, who watched the play unfold from first base. "Either you let the ball drop and try to minimize the damage, or you make the catch and pay the consequences. He knew that, no doubt about it, and he chose B."

  20. #20
    Token White Guy DaBomber25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Framingham, MA
    Well, there ya go, there's the excuse Boston fans needed if they don't win the series. He didn't check his swing and there was bad umpiring. Boston fans always plan ahead and they got their excuse down pat in game 1.
    *** 18 - 0 ***
    (asterisks and all!)

  21. #21
    One of the Originals CalifYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    In Yankee Heaven
    In three words? LET'S HOPE SO!

  22. #22
    To me it looked like he stopped his swing, but then turned to avoid the ball. I'm not saying this because I dislike the Red Sox, that's just the way it looked to me.

    To me the most damaging thing for the Red Sox was having Lowe pitch so long... 43 pitches under pressure 2 days before you have to start is a bit much.
    "He knew, as he went after that ball, that he had a decision to make," said Tony Clark, who watched the play unfold from first base. "Either you let the ball drop and try to minimize the damage, or you make the catch and pay the consequences. He knew that, no doubt about it, and he chose B."

  23. #23
    Released Outright ACPS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Originally posted by Alex
    To me the most damaging thing for the Red Sox was having Lowe pitch so long... 43 pitches under pressure 2 days before you have to start is a bit much.
    I agree. Where was that Arryoyo (whatever) guy that was so great against us? If I were a Sox fan, I want Lowe fresh and rested for game three, which is shaping up to be huge.

  24. #24
    Re2pect Hitman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island
    Originally posted by CalifYanksFan
    In three words? LET'S HOPE SO!
    hey we agreed twice today.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.


    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

  25. #25
    Originally posted by ACPS


    I agree. Where was that Arryoyo (whatever) guy that was so great against us? If I were a Sox fan, I want Lowe fresh and rested for game three, which is shaping up to be huge.
    HUGE
    "He knew, as he went after that ball, that he had a decision to make," said Tony Clark, who watched the play unfold from first base. "Either you let the ball drop and try to minimize the damage, or you make the catch and pay the consequences. He knew that, no doubt about it, and he chose B."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts