+ Reply to Thread
    Released Outright

Eric Gagne's Save Record needs an Asterisk!

Don't get me wrong, what Eric Gagne has accomplished in the past two seasons is absolutely impressive. However, his save streak might deserve an asterisk because he did in fact blow a save during the streak. He blew the All-Star game save! I know it's not a regular season game, so I understand why the streak must stay in tact and thus the record acknolwedged, but the asterisk would merely acknolwedge the fact that he did in deed suffer a blown save.

I am pretty sure that the same sort of thing happened with the previous record holder for saves in a row, Tom Gordon of the Red Sox. During his record 53 saves in a row, I believe that he blew a save in the 1998 postseason (most likely against our Yanks). So his record should have had an astrerisk too.

I'm only half serious, by the way. Just wondering what everyone else thought about records like these.

By the way, I think the Dodger manager is trying too hard to help Gagne with his record. For example, the Dodger blew a 4-0 lead last night against Arizona in the 8th inning and wind up losing because the skipper didn't want to bring in Gagne with the potential tying run on base!!! Huh??!!! What was that??? Here LA is playing for their pplayoff lives, and their manager puts one of his players (gagne) over the entire team! I would be furious if I were a Dodger fan. Screw the record and get Gagne in there to pitch a 4,5 or even 6 out save!!! Torre has done that many times with Mo. I think he better get his priorities straight or else the Dodgers will be watching from home in October....including Gagne with his precious save record.

NYYF Legend

Gagne only comes in with no runners on base.

NYYF Legend

1. All star game is an exhibition game...I'm sure you know that.

2. Living near LA, I see a lot of Dodger games. The way Gagne was (not) used is consistent with how he's used all the time. They have a decent bullpen, I understand the decision.

It wasn't a save situation in the All-Star Game. I believe he was in the pitch the 8th. Someone else was supposed to pitch the 9th.

Originally posted by Michaels07

He also has k'd like 130 guys in like 70 innings, he's by far the best closer in the game.

I'm sorry, but I think this is silly. It's an All Star Game!

Originally posted by Alex
    I think rest of us agree with you, Alex. We're just having fun discussing it.

Originally posted by Michaels07
    Yeah, I think he's only had 4 inherited runners all year. They baby him over there.

Released Outright rightfielder21's Avatar
    Pequannock, New Jersey (Birthplace of Derek Jeter)
    Agreed....

NYYF MVP

Another example of why stats are useless--or worse, because they mislead--if examined in a vacuum.

no no no.... people...

THIS TIME IT COUNTED!!!!

Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Players don't get credited for HR's, RBI's, steals, etc. in the all-star game so I don't think that a blown save should get any special treatment.

NYYF HOF

Love him or hate him folks Eric Gagne is the best closer in baseball at this moment period.

Originally posted by Yankee Bulldawg
    Love him or hate him folks Eric Gagne is the best closer in baseball at this moment period.
    in the regular season? by a long shot.. there is very little argument...

in the postseason? remains to be seen

NYYF HOF

indeed we'll have to see how good Gagne will be in the postseason.

Originally posted by KLJ

in the regular season? by a long shot.. there is very little argument...

in the postseason? remains to be seen
    You are right... he hasn't proven anything in the postseason, and it looks like the Dodgers aren't going to give him a chance to do so either... looks like the Phillies or the Marlins for the WC.

Released Outright
    Originally posted by DkNNy79

Yeah, I think he's only had 4 inherited runners all year. They baby him over there.
    Thank you, that's what I'm talking about. Yes, he's amazing... but he's hardly ever thrown in the fire like Mo or even SMoltz!!

Released Outright
    Originally posted by Yankee Bulldawg
    indeed we'll have to see how good Gagne will be in the postseason.
    Exactly my point. Because he's already failed in a pressure packed situation (the All-Star game where the winner would determine home field advantage in the World Series), that could have been a glimpse into how he will perform in the postseason... the ultimate pressure packed situation. But then again, he might prove to be just as good. Who knows?

I agree with someone else who said that it's just all in good fun to discuss, that's all. Silly, yes, but fun.

Released Outright

What's the postseason record for most saves in a row?

Does Mo own the mark??? Rollie Fingers???
    Gossage??? No way...the Goose got cooked every now and then.
    Hmmm...

Now THAT's an impressive record to own, no matter what it is!!!

I know that Mo owns the most consecutive scoreless innings in the postseason at 33 or 34 (I think).

They do baby Gagne out there - no inherited runners and all - but that's something you can afford to do when you have other reliable relievers.

But I think that bit of babying can be offset by the fact that he probably saves the most games with less than a 3 run margin. The Dodgers are a dismal offensive team, and their wins are usually of the 3-1, 4-2, 1-2 variety. So, you could argue that their lack of offense puts more of a burden on him. Though I think not coming in with inherited runners is HUGE.
    Last edited by Alex; 09-13-03 at 09:01 AM.

Released Outright
    I know that Mo owns the most consecutive scoreless innings in the postseason at 33 or 34 (I think).

They do baby Gagne out there - no inherited runners and all - but that's something you can afford to do when you have other reliable relievers.

But I think that bit of babying can be offset by the fact that he probably saves the most games with less than a 2 run margin. The Dodgers are a dismal offensive team, and their wins are usually of the 3-1, 4-2, 1-2 variety. So, you could argue that their lack of offense puts more of a burden on him. Though I think not coming in with inherited runners is HUGE.
    Good stuff... thanks

Agree on all points

I think his stats are much worse when coming in when the game is tied too. Does someone know?

Originally posted by rock
    I think his stats are much worse when coming in when the game is tied too. Does someone know?
    Couldn't find out what he's like with the game tied, but I'm sure he's fine, look at these amazing numbers.

With runners on base in 84 ab's, he's holding hitters to a 107 average and a 323 ops.

Runners in scoring position in 45 ab's, he's holding hitters to a 133 avg and a 426 ops.

Runner on second, in 22 ab's, he's holding hitters to a 136 avg and a 542 ops.

Runners on first and second in 18 ab's, he's holding hitters to a 111 average and a 222 ops.

Runners in scoring position, 2 out and 21 ab's, he's holding hitters to a .48 avg and a 178 ops

Does this guy have a weakness???
    It's almost like he's a machine, like that Ivan Drago guy from Rocky.

Thread Information