+ Reply to Thread
    The Source

Impressive BP session gets retired Daneyko baseball contract

Impressive BP session gets retired Daneyko baseball contract
    Sept. 5, 2003
    SportsLine.com wire reports
    http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/6617837

NEWARK, N.J. -- Former New Jersey Devils defenseman Ken Daneyko will sign a one-day contract with the Newark Bears next week.

Daneyko, who retired in July after helping the Devils win their third Stanley Cup since 1995, had been scheduled to be honored by the Bears in a pregame ceremony on Sept. 13.

But the 18-year NHL veteran impressed Bears officials during batting practice and they decided to make him eligible to play in Newark's game against the Pennsylvania Road Warriors.

"We are just excited to provide this special opportunity to one of New Jersey's most popular athletes," said Bears vice president and general manager Chris Bryan.

Daneyko said he is excited to don a different uniform.

"Being such a big baseball fan, I am well-acquainted with (Bears manager) Bill Madlock's major league career and am honored to have the chance to meet him and be a part of his team, even if it's just for one day," he said.

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2003, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Happy Holidays!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    Daneyko can play baseball? that's a new one...this ought to be interesting...i didn't think he was going to be the sit around type...if I were a pitcher, I wouldn't risk having him charge the mound.

The Source

Ex-Devil Daneyko grounds out in diamond debut (AP)
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1615595

NEWARK, N.J. -- Former New Jersey Devils defenseman Ken Daneyko grounded out to shortstop Saturday night in his professional baseball debut with the independent Newark Bears.

Daneyko, who retired this summer after 18 years with the Devils, signed a one-day contract with the minor league team earlier this month after impressing the club during a batting practice workout.

He was inserted into the lineup Saturday as the Bears' designated hitter against the Pennsylvania Road Warriors.

In a driving rainstorm, Daneyko grounded out in the first inning against right-hander Pat Daneker. Umpires then called the game.

Daneyko was honored by the team before the game. The 18th overall pick in the 1982 draft, he helped the Devils win the Stanley Cup in 1995, 2000 and 2003. His 1,283 games with the Devils rank fourth in the NHL for games played with the same organization.

The game will not affect the Atlantic League playoff race and will not be made up, the team said. The Bears wind up their season Sunday against the Road Warriors.

I knew he was a big baseball fan. I've heard him say some pretty informed things about it during interviews. Very interesting.

Thread Information