+ Reply to Thread
    I built a little website a while back dedicated to Thurman Munson. If he meant as much to you as he did to me, go give it a look.
    http://members.xoom.com/Munson15/Munson15/.htm

Let me know what you think.
    Thanks,

thanks - like it. Grew up playing catcher and idolizing Munson. Better than Fisk! Munson for the Hall.

"The Captain"

------------------

NYYF Legend

My favorite player, hence the 15 in my moniker...

Loved that scruffy faced devil.... tough as nails and the best clutch hitter in baseball at that time.

------------------

Awesome site!

For any Yankee fan who watched the Yankees during the 70's, Thurman Munson will always be in their hearts. As you said in your site, the void has yet to be filled. He stood for pride and classiness, and you could just tell how much he loved baseball.

I'll never forget the game against Kansas City where George Brett and and Graig Nettles went at each other, and Thurman just stormed over to third base, hopped on top of Brett and said something to Brett along the lines of "I've got you covered". Just an awesome guy!

eckman

------------------

[This message has been edited by eckman (edited February 15, 2000).]

meggie918
    What a wonderful tribute! I will never, ever forget that sad day in August...but I will be forever grateful that I had the opportunity to see him play.

------------------

Ambassador of Goodwill
    of The Ansky39 Fan Club

One of the things I remember about Thurmond was the way he ran from first to third. He was a great base runner for a catcher. And he was tremendous going that extra base. He played hard all the time. The one down fall was the fact that he loved his family. He took those flying lessons so he could go home to Ohio after the games and be with his family at night. Some down fall...you had to love him. For all his suppose gruffness was a warm human being. By the way he had at least three 100 rbi years, how many did Fisk have , one? The Yankee fans will always know who was the better catcher and hitter.

------------------

Dee
    Your web site is a wonderful tribute to a great man and a great ball player. Thank you so much. I was young when Thurman died but I remember August 2, 1979 like it was yesterday. It was such a great loss.

NYYF Legend

Great site '78!

------------------
    A39FCBGY

Thanks for taking the time to check it out, and thanks for the compliments. I will be building a new and improved site shortly and as soon as its ready, you'll all be the first to know.

------------------

Addicted Member

Hell of a job 78. Every once in awhile a player comes around that means so much to us.
    Mickey, Maris, Mattingly, Guidry, Bernie, O'Neill, Jeter. And right up there at the top is Thurman. Best clutch hitter I've ever seen. Thanks for the site.

------------------
    kg

Munson was awsome,I remember the battles he had with Reggie Jackson.jackson really got him going when he said(Jackson) was the straw that stirred the Yankees.There was nothing that Munson would not do to win.The last catcher we had.Hall of fame---YES!!!!!

------------------
    22 Bonnie

If every player had the heart of MUNSON, MLB would be still be like the old days. He was the man- THE CAPTAIN!!!!

------------------

NYYF Triple Crown

Well done. Thank You. I love YANKEE history.

I rmember a cartoon that Bill Galoway (?) drew of Thurman Munson in 1970. It depicted Munson racing back as if to catch a foul pop and catching the Rookie of the Year trophy. I cut it out but have long since lost it. Does anybody know if there is an on line archive of those old Daily News sports cartoons? I would love to download that cartoon and frame it.

I did not get to see Munson play for three years because I was in Europe. That was "pre-internet" stone age, and there were no copies of "USA Today" overseas edition to be had. I had to get my YANKEE news via my younger sisters letters. I was in northern Portugal in a rural area when he died, and did not find out for a month.

Next week when I am in europe I will be reading posts from this sight on the days that I have a little time. Hopefully the news will all be better than that sad day.

------------------
    If you don't like the YANKEES go to another sight.

What a great site 78! As you can see that year and the players mean alot to me as well.

------------------

intense site! Munson is sone of the reasons that i became a Yankees fan. i'm barely old enough to remember him playing in '78 & '79, but how thankful i am even to have those faint memories.

------------------

It's beautiful The picture of his grave stones are stunning. My dad always tells me stories of the great captain and how much he meant to the Yanks. I wish I could have seen him play.....

------------------
    "I would like to thank the Good Lord for making me a Yankee."
    - Joe DiMaggio

Re: For fans of Thurman Munson

The site is not working.

NYYF Legend

The post is from 2000. Site is probably long gone.
    No Rally Monkeys, Towels or hankies
    Just 50,000 fans of the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

holy smoke.
    Why would you pull up a thread from 5 years ago, and then be surprised that the link doesn't work....... and post about it?
    .Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Quote Originally Posted by smr15
    holy smoke.
    Why would you pull up a thread from 5 years ago, and then be surprised that the link doesn't work....... and post about it?
    I don't know but you just did..jk, I don't know how I got to it.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankswn23
    The site is not working.
    Crush it with your mind vice.

NYYF Legend

NYYF MVP

I think my board name says it all. He was and always will be my hero.

Thread Information