+ Reply to Thread

Johnny Vandemeer

On the 11th and 15th June 1938 pitched consecutive no-hitters for the Cincinnati Reds.

Was this ever equalled in post WW2 baseball ?

Never

Thanks. Johnny never distinguished himself again but it was a great effort.

Every time someone pitches a no-hitter, Vandemeer's name comes up. "Is he gonna pull a Vandemeer?"

That is interesting. When the subject of baseball comes up with Americans I always mention Vandemeer. I have yet to find one who has ever heard of him. You get the prize.

Ask them about Harvey Haddix as your follow-up question.

I've just looked up Harvey's bio and he was some pitcher. 12 perfect innings for Pittsburgh before going down 1 nil in the 13th. You have improved my knowledge of the game.

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by Aussie Yankee Fan
    I've just looked up Harvey's bio and he was some pitcher. 12 perfect innings for Pittsburgh before going down 1 nil in the 13th. You have improved my knowledge of the game.
    Talk to Yankee Fans about the Superchief Allie Reynolds.

Someday, somehow, someway... someone may just tie Johnny V's record, but no one will ever BREAK that record.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

For a furhter twist on Reynolds, ask how Yogi almost became infamous as it relatth to Aliie's feats.

I looked it up. Allie was pitching for his second no hitter of the season (1951) and Yogi dropped an easy foul pop requiring a second dismissal of Ted Williams. He was the first AL pitcher to get the 2 no hitters in a season.

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by Aussie Yankee Fan
    I looked it up. Allie was pitching for his second no hitter of the season (1951) and Yogi dropped an easy foul pop requiring a second dismissal of Ted Williams. He was the first AL pitcher to get the 2 no hitters in a season.
    The Yanks got him when they traded one of my favorites Joe Gorden their star second basemen to the Indians. Allie could sure throw the ball, Ole case used him in relief in World Series games.
    When he retired he became a multi millionaire with Oklahoma oil.

Thread Information