+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

Farm System save leaders

Yhency Brazoban 16
    Matt Brumit 12
    Adam Roller 10
    Charlie Issacson 7
    Sam Marsonek 6.

I'm glad that they haven't traded Brazoban....yet.
    Fire Cashman!

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by Rich
    I'm glad that they haven't traded Brazoban....yet.
    The Mets asked for him, The Yanks gave in on Anderson instead.

I'm still an adherent to the theory that

Closers are made in the bigs, not the minors. Rivera was a starter, so was Gossage before him. So was Smoltz. I really think that guys with one nasty pitch are just best for the pen.

Of the guys you listed, Brazoban might have something with the heat- but he needs a lot of time- which the Yanks don't have after wasting 5 years in the OF.

I said this on another thread, but I really think that the best potential late inning relief/closer type the Yanks have in the minors is Julio DePaula. With that splitter, he could be a strong late inning guy. THAT is an out-pitch. As a starter, he tries to conserve himself and gets cute- and hit. As a closer/set-up type, he could come in focus on a few guys with power, not finesse, and blow them away.

NYYF Legend

De Paula leads all our pitchers with S.Outs.

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by Yankyfan
    De Paula leads all our pitchers with S.Outs.
    He had 89,Jeremy king had 88

NYYF Legend

Marsonek is a real dark horse here.He is a big guy who throws hard and was a former #1 draft pick.He could suprise us out of the pen.

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by Yankyfan
    Marsonek is a real dark horse here.He is a big guy who throws hard and was a former #1 draft pick.He could suprise us out of the pen.
    Drafted by the Rangers,Yanks got him in the Curtis trade. I`like the guy, call him up in Sept.

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by Michaels07

Drafted by the Rangers,Yanks got him in the Curtis trade. I`like the guy, call him up in Sept.
    Before Claussen, Alex Graham and DePaula, guys already on the 40 man?

I've always viewed Marsonek as a bust considering he was a first rounder.

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by Donnybaseball72

Before Claussen, Alex Graham and DePaula, guys already on the 40 man?

I've always viewed Marsonek as a bust considering he was a first rounder.
    He`s pitching in relief for Columbus, the others are starters.

NYYF Legend

So? Most major league relievers were starters in the minors.

NYYF Legend

So? Most major league relievers were starters in the minors.
    Not any more, use the term most more carefully.

NYYF Legend

OK mr. knowitall. What do Mariano Rivera, Eric Gagne, John Smoltz, Jason Isringhausem and Rob Nen all have in common? They all started in the minors! Many major league relievers and closers start in the minors in order to give them a greater chance to pitch as many innings as they can. People have already talked about DePaula's stuff will be more suitable for being a reliever in the majors. Alex Graham has no chance in making it as a starter for the yankees so they might as well throw him into a non-pressure situtation come September.

NYYF Legend

OK mr. knowitall. What do Mariano Rivera, Eric Gagne, John Smoltz, Jason Isringhausem and Rob Nen all have in common? They all started in the minors! Many major league relievers and closers start in the minors in order to give them a greater chance to pitch as many innings as they can. People have already talked about DePaula's stuff will be more suitable for being a reliever in the majors. Alex Graham has no chance in making it as a starter for the yankees so they might as well throw him into a non-pressure situtation come September.
    Are you mature enough to carry on a debate, if not don`t reply to any of my threads?

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by Michaels07

Are you mature enough to carry on a debate, if not don`t reply to any of my threads?
    Are you mature enough to explain your point of view or just make blanket statements?

NYYF Legend

Can't we all just get along??

NYYF MVP

I don't want to jump into the middle of an argument, but I think the development of closers and relief pitchers is interesting. Different teams take different approaches with that development. I think a lot of it has to do with where they draft or sign their minor league pitchers. A minor league pitcher that spends 2-4 years in college is likely a much more polished and developed pitcher. This is the sort of player that I would expect to jump into a relief role very quickly and to excel. Anderson was a player that pitched a bit as a starter in the minors, but really took to relief pitching quickly, and there are other players who moved more quickly into that role than him.

HS players would tend to be much less polished and probably need a lot more innings than a strictly closer or short relief role would provide them. That is why I generally tend to favor prospects who move up as starters. Relief stats can be incredibly misleading - so the real measure of how good a minor league closer is can pretty much only be measured through scouting. On top of that, the minimal number of innings that they pitch can hide a flaw in their delivery or stuff that will be brutally exploited after the major league hitters get to see him a couple of times. You're REALLY taking a leap of faith in promoting a player as a 'closer' through the minors. He's likely to pitch 1/4 the innings of a starter and to be protected way too much to really show the kind of talent that he has. It works when someone has a 100 mph fb that nobody can hit anyway, but, in general, I think it's a poor way to develop your pitchers.

Beyond that, though, I do like managers in the minors who take particular care with HS pitchers and really limit their innings until they build up strength. A team that has several long-relievers of this type that pitch 3-4 innings at a stretch can do well and can really protect those young arms.

Mariano Rivera is an example of a player that was frail and had some injuries in the minors and tended to be put into a long relief role. When he was in the GCL he only started once in the season and pitched a no-hitter or a one-hitter. It allowed him to get more innings than if he'd pitched in a 'closer' role and allowed him to protect his delicate and valuable arm.

NYYF Legend

Closer roles for former starters seem to be established in ST like with Gagne,a former starter who got bumped out of the rotation and with Rivera who went from starter to setup to closer. Their experience as starters in the minors is what prepared them their releiver roles, with the exception of some polished college closers like you mentioned (Matt Anderson, Ryan Wagner).

Thread Information